Forums46
Topics538,478
Posts9,737,522
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: hunter1313] #2619207 09/29/11 02:17 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: hunter1313
I agree with Luckenbach. Who is to judge what is ethical. I know pleanty of people that squirrel hunt and do not even deer hunt. Going squirrel hunting to them is like going trophy hunting for the big buck. I think that trying to avoid an area where someone is bowhunting whould be good, but they could also avoid the area where the squirrel hunter is. That is what you get when you hunt on public land. I will be bowhunting on sat. and squirrel hunting on sun. on public land.

Yes, good point well taken.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: Texas Dan] #2619303 09/29/11 02:52 AM
L
LuckenbachTexas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
"it would be a matter of safety most likely"

This was what I had in mind initially.

I grew up hunting barefoot in woods full of white trash "know it alls" toting Locked -N- Cocked single shot shotguns, who shot anything that could be eaten to include wood peckers, regardless of season.

I'm reflecting back to my Drill Instructor telling us that you can never go home and that its not the folks back home that change, its you. I had more combat experience dodging buckshot as a kid than I did during my first two combat engagements.

I was fortunate enough to not only survive my childhood hunting days but to have the good sense not to put my Sons in the same position. When I hunt, there ain't nobody else around.

Last edited by LuckenbachTexas; 09/29/11 02:59 AM.

"Love it or leave it"
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: add147] #2619322 09/29/11 02:58 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Well, people are going to get pissed

It is public land and you have a right to be there so do what you do.

That is the problem with public land, it is public.

Last time I tried it , horse riders were riding. Not much I could do.

Public land bowhunters are mostly abunch of homos anyways.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: Brother in-law] #2619334 09/29/11 03:01 AM
L
LuckenbachTexas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
"Public land bowhunters are mostly abunch of homos anyways."

After reading the above comment, don't you guys ever give me crap again!!!!!!!!

rofl

"Love it or leave it"
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: txshntr] #2619335 09/29/11 03:01 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I think if you were really worried about it, you wouldn't be asking the question. If you walk through the woods and pop off a few shots in an area that you are aware deer hunters are...pretty sure you are going to scare the deer off and pretty sure any deer hunter you encounter will have a few choice words.

My question is, how safe is it for the deer hunter to be in full camo, possibly in a tree when folks are coming through shooting a firearm in the air?

What weapon are you using? The reason I ask is because I thought during bow season, a hunter cannot take a gun. Seems it could cause an awkward situation for you to meet a game warden on the opening day of bow season with a gun in your hand.

Personally, I don't think it is a good situation, but this is one of the reasons I don't plan on hunting public land that doesn't have restrictions to keep this from happening.

hammer Obviously I am ignorant of the laws.

I still believe there are safety questions that should be asked, but didn't know about the hunter orange either.

I agree that you have just as much right to hunt as anyone else, no matter what you/they are hunting.

If it is legal, if you feel that you can do it safely for both other hunters and you and your son, I would say go for it. As much as I am for getting kids in the woods and for a father spending the time with their kid, it is not worth an accident.

Good luck to you and I hope you don't have any issues. Pretty sure that if I was on public land and another hunter came by, I wouldn't be upset...figure it is expected when you hunt there. up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: BuckRage] #2619350 09/29/11 03:05 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Just go hunting, if u walk up on someone, nothing you can do about it.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: Closed Traverse] #2619740 09/29/11 11:48 AM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
You could go squirrel hunting in the middle of the day. Most deer hunters are out of the stand within 3 hours of shooting time. We do that pretty often.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: stinkbelly] #2623534 09/30/11 08:26 PM
C
caddokiller Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
You have the right to be there just as much as he does. Ill be hunting the caddo lake wma in a couple of weeks and im sure ill upset some hunters but thats the chance you take on public lands. If someone comes by me squirrel hunting and im deer hunting I just take it as part of the game

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.- Thomas jefferson
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: caddokiller] #2623649 09/30/11 09:40 PM
A
Adraper Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I actually had this situation happen on private land. The owner gave permission for me to deer hunt and some other folks to squirrel hunt. I was on the stand when they showed up and shot a few. They left and right at dark I missed a little buck. I was mainly worried about getting shot by mistake since I was in a climbing stand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide