Forums46
Topics538,441
Posts9,737,084
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! #2616508 09/28/11 03:10 AM
A
add147 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Hello All,
This may not even be the correct forum to ask this question and please forgive me if I sound totally stupid for even possing such a question. We all know that this coming Saturday is the big day for many folks. I am new to public land hunting and I would like to know the deer hunters opinions on hunting etiquette. How does one handle a situation when one is squirrel hunting and he happens to unknowingly get into the deer hunter's space? I do not mean to cause him any grief or anything. I most certainly do not want to spoil his hunt! I am just hunting squirrels with my son. I would apologize for my intrusion and quietly slip back off into the woods out of his way hoping I did not make him really upset. Is that an acceptable solution? What is one to do? I do not want to interfer with his hunt at all. I would appreciate a deer hunter's perspective and opinions.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: add147] #2616564 09/28/11 03:26 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I think if you were really worried about it, you wouldn't be asking the question. If you walk through the woods and pop off a few shots in an area that you are aware deer hunters are...pretty sure you are going to scare the deer off and pretty sure any deer hunter you encounter will have a few choice words.

My question is, how safe is it for the deer hunter to be in full camo, possibly in a tree when folks are coming through shooting a firearm in the air?

What weapon are you using? The reason I ask is because I thought during bow season, a hunter cannot take a gun. Seems it could cause an awkward situation for you to meet a game warden on the opening day of bow season with a gun in your hand.

Personally, I don't think it is a good situation, but this is one of the reasons I don't plan on hunting public land that doesn't have restrictions to keep this from happening.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: txshntr] #2616624 09/28/11 03:47 AM
A
add147 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Oh don't get me wrong I would not go out on purpose knowingly to any area where deer bow hunters are. I would never intenionally purposely go out and intefer with anyone's deer hunting. I am just asking what one would do if that situation occured.

As far has hunting on public land all hunters must wear 400 square inches on hunters orange and I do not think it is illegal for me to have a gun during Squirrel Season which also corensides with Deer Bow Season. I know its a pain to hunt public land but if that is all that you have an opportuity to hunt then that's all one has.

BTW I would be using a 20 gauge. I'd like to use my 22 but I do not think that would be a good idea with folks up in the trees like you said.

I am asking what is the best way to handle something like that if it did indeed occur.

Any other deer hunters wish to express their opinion? I would really like to hear them. I am by no means trying to start any controversey I am just trying to be respectful of others.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: add147] #2616650 09/28/11 04:01 AM
O
Offshore_Life Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
The deer hunter will most definately be quite upset. As soon as you stroll through the area he is deer hunting he might as well call it a day. Even though you think you could apologize and slip back off into the woods, him not knowing your location would most likely make him uneasy about shooting in any direction. Would definately ruin the hunt , and all hope. Not a good idea in my perspective. I love squirrel hunting aswell. but just does'nt seem wise to co-mingle deer and squirrel hunting the same area. IMO.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: add147] #2616664 09/28/11 04:07 AM
V
varmentwacker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
add147 i love bow hunting also did a lot of tree rat hunting when i was young. you have just has much right to hunt public land has i do. public land is just that public land.it means we all get to hunt it. good luck and be safe

love to hunt and fish
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: varmentwacker] #2616679 09/28/11 04:13 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
You might jsut be supprised how many deer those hunters see that they never would have had the squirrel hunters not been in the woods walking around. Yes it might mess up normal patterns but a smart bow hunter might jsut use it to their advantage. Anyway it is public land so every body be safe and have fun

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: kmon11] #2616841 09/28/11 10:37 AM
R
RedRaider03 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
I would say public land, LEGAL hunt. That being said, I am sure you would piss off the closest bow hunter, bBut, you are within your rights as a hunter too. I speculate many hunters may think you shouldn't because deer hunting is the "top priority", and sacred in Texas. I kinda agree. But I never have a problem with somebody obeying the law, even if it doesn't suit my ends.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: RedRaider03] #2616909 09/28/11 12:06 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I wouldn't worry about it. The deer hunters that get mad at you need to go get a lease if they don't want other hunters in "THEIR" area. It is all public for all legal activities.

I have gone quail hunting at the grasslands on opening day of gun deer season a couple of years ago. I covered my dog and myself in orange and drove around until I found an area with no cars for at least a mile from the parking area. I went in and hunted.

Like stated above, it will make the deer move more and could easily help the deer hunters.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: RedRaider03] #2616911 09/28/11 12:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Shouldn't tick anyone off. Like the guy above said,the squirrel hunter has just as much right to be there as the deer hunter.Public land is PUBLIC land-if you don't like the rules then don't hunt it. This is all coming from a die-hard deer bowhunter whose farm is bordered by National Forest on 3 sides.I always have some squirrel hunters booming around my property and don't begrudge them a bit.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: stinkbelly] #2616915 09/28/11 12:07 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Shouldn't the deer hunters be asking if their hunting will interfere with the squirrel hunters?

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: stinkbelly] #2617043 09/28/11 01:09 PM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
This is a tough thing, both hunters deserve thier access. I guess thats the draw back to hunting public land and as far as I can under stand leases, its up to the lease rules who has access to what, when.

I'd say hunt away and just try and be considerate, but know you have just as much right to the woods.

US Cavalry, retired
Surviving Wisconsin to live in Texas
7 months till no more snow
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: Cavscout1968] #2617100 09/28/11 01:36 PM
L
LuckenbachTexas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Its really not a big deal when you think about it and I'd much rather you use a 22 than a shotgun. With that said the deer hunter should be no more offended than you should be as a squirrel hunter.

The question I'd be asking myself is how would I feel having my boy in a situation where that 30.06 goes off?

"Love it or leave it"
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: LuckenbachTexas] #2617158 09/28/11 01:56 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
In recent years I have often shared the same woods hunting small game. It is impossible not to on public land open to deer hunting unless you stay home. If both are in season and allowed, one does not trump the other. Ettiquette might apply if it is an area you know there are going to be a lot of deer hunters like an opening day of deer season on an area known to be crowded with deer hunters. You really would not want to be in the middle of that situation anyway.

I have been on both sides of the situation. I don't hold a small game hunter at fault if he ends up near me. But I do expect them to just tip their hat with an I'm sorry gesture and move on.

Same if I encounter a big game hunter. Unless they try to engage me in conversation, I do just mouth a "sorry" and leave them, usually quietly backing out the way I came in on them. Be respectful and they should have no reason to be mad at you. If on public land with open small game seasons, they should be expecting the possibility of it happening.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: LuckenbachTexas] #2617188 09/28/11 02:03 PM
A
add147 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
I appreciate everyones responses! I only get my sone on the week-ends so that is really the only time that we are able to hunt. As I stated this is the first year that I have used public land and I most definately do not want to offend or interfer with anyone's deer hunting. I guess the best way to approach this is to go by the "Golden Rule". Do on to others as you wish for them to do upon you! I'll just play it by hear and see how it goes. I will most definately try to find an entry station that does not have any vehicles parked that way I will know or at least there is a good chance that no one will be in that area. Once again thanks for everyones responces!!!

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: add147] #2617401 09/28/11 03:01 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Your question is a valid one and brings attention to the point that while something may be legal, that doesn't make it ethical. There is no law to permit you from squirrel hunting on public land when you know deer hunters are close by. However, that doesn't make it ethical.

But like so many things, this is a two-way street. For example, last season I found a stand on public land right across the fence from our private lease. The guy had a legal right to place the stand near our fence. However, you can't overlook the fact that he passed through 300 acres of public land just to place a stand right next to a distant fence line. That's okay, because I also have a legal right to squirrel hunt in that same area. In fact, it's just one of several fence lines where I intend to squirrel hunt this coming weekend.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: Texas Dan] #2617470 09/28/11 03:20 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Good question - and I agree with all previous posters.

However, if I was pushing a pin on the calender for ANY activity with my kiddos, I would always AVOID opening day/weekend conflicts, as a matter of etiquette:
for example:

- going water-skiing/boating/fishing at sunrise on lakes near duck-hunting area on opening day/weekend;

- going early-morning 4-wheeling or skeet/target-shooting, in my private fields right next to dove hunters, deer hunters, or turkey hunters on their respective opening days.

You certainly got 'the right' to do any of the above, or squirrel hunt on public lands on big-game opening days, but knowing that Big-game hunters got a-lot invested in their plans for opening days and they don't have a choice on what day is opening day; why would you want to gamble with 'setting someone off' , let alone right in front of your kid, when it could be simply avoided. That's almost like looking for a fight, when you know it's opening days. The squirrels will ALL be there the following weekend. That is what I teach my kids.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: oldoak2000] #2617779 09/28/11 05:19 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Just don't park and enter the woods where there are other vehicles parked and it should not be a problem. I have hunted tree rats during bow season in Davy Crockett National Forest and I just avoided areas that obviously had hunters in them. I never had a problem and there are plenty of squirrels anywhere you go.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: varmentwacker] #2617810 09/28/11 05:29 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: varmentwacker
add147 i love bow hunting also did a lot of tree rat hunting when i was young. you have just has much right to hunt public land has i do. public land is just that public land.it means we all get to hunt it. good luck and be safe

+1

Everyone has a right to be there. It is no different than running out to your crappie hole and someone is tied up there.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: Stump_jumper] #2617814 09/28/11 05:30 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
You have every right to be there, but if you're that worried about it why not just wait until next weekend?

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2618009 09/28/11 06:51 PM
A
add147 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Thanks for all of your thoughts andfsuggestions! I really appreciate it. I was not going to go on opening day I was just concerned if I did happen to accidentally walk up on someone while they were deer hunting later on in the season.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: add147] #2618677 09/28/11 11:19 PM
L
LuckenbachTexas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
"There is no law to permit you from squirrel hunting on public land when you know deer hunters are close by. However, that doesn't make it ethical."

Lets reverse that shall we and see how one sided you folks really are:

There is no law to permit you from deer hunting on public land when you know squirrel hunters are close by. However, that doesn't make it ethical.

Ain't no deer hunting in the state of Texas as sporting as hunting squirrels with Black powder.

Last edited by LuckenbachTexas; 09/28/11 11:20 PM.

"Love it or leave it"
Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: LuckenbachTexas] #2618908 09/29/11 12:53 AM
P
PaulsBunyan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
it would be a matter of safety most likely. in east texas for example most deer hunters on public lands hunt out of tree stands. so would it be smart to shoot up in the air with a 22? NOPE..Would it be safe to sit in a tree stand with squirrel hunters around? NOPE. There is one WMA that has decided to combine the deer archery season and squirrel season. pretty dumb but its public land. after yrs of seperating the two seasons and now this. im sure this wont last long.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: LuckenbachTexas] #2618937 09/29/11 01:00 AM
H
hunter1313 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I agree with Luckenbach. Who is to judge what is ethical. I know pleanty of people that squirrel hunt and do not even deer hunt. Going squirrel hunting to them is like going trophy hunting for the big buck. I think that trying to avoid an area where someone is bowhunting whould be good, but they could also avoid the area where the squirrel hunter is. That is what you get when you hunt on public land. I will be bowhunting on sat. and squirrel hunting on sun. on public land.

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: hunter1313] #2619101 09/29/11 01:45 AM
C
Chaser42 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I pay for some of the maintenance of that land. Be careful, polite, and go forth!

Re: Squirrel Hunting during Deer Bow Season...Do not want to offend deer hunters! [Re: Chaser42] #2619146 09/29/11 02:02 AM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I love to hunt deer as most Texan's flehan but it's public land you have as much right as a deer hunter and if they don't know of the possibility of this happening then their ignorant. Be aware of your surroundings, try to be in a different area as much as that is possible, watch for orange in the distance and steer clear, if you happen on someone all you can do is be polite and backout quietly. If you think you have more of a right to be there because your hunting deer and the other person is hunting squirrel then you should find a lease and have a real reason to be PO'd if that happens. IMO

I think the seasons need to be changed. It's silly to have the two overlap in the first place.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide