Forums46
Topics538,235
Posts9,734,631
Members87,075
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts #2569169 09/09/11 08:08 AM
F
fishdog Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
So what do you guys think. Every year plenty of non resident apply for our TPWD drawn hunts, which makes it harder for us to draw. Should TPWD be allowing this or not?

Should Non res Hunters be able to apply for drawn hunts here in TX
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/09/11 08:02 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: fishdog] #2569231 09/09/11 11:16 AM
T
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
There are only so many of these and we have lots of hunters here in Texas that are paying taxes.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: fishdog] #2569233 09/09/11 11:17 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
First off I have never entered for one of the draw hunts but I do think out of state hunters should be allowed to apply. Those applications equal more money for TP&W and that means more money for our state and our wildlife conservation efforts.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: JCB] #2569308 09/09/11 12:33 PM
B
Bob in TX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
NO!

They were set up for Texas hunters.

The Texas Predator Posse
NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Bob in TX] #2569421 09/09/11 01:17 PM
D
dutton1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Yes, they could enter but with different rules then what are currently in place. Not the big time hunts i.e. Big horn sheep, Gemsbok, etc., but white tail deer and hogs sure. They must front up the money for the licenses that would be needed and then it they are not drawn the license cost could be refunded if requested. If they are drawn but are no shows they get nothing back. If they do show they get to hunt but all the fees were paid on the time of entering the drawing. Out of state hunters would not accumulate points for future drawings.
State residents and active military personal stationed in Texas would only have to submit application as per current regulations. No money up front other than the application fees. If this were to happen the state gets more money from out of state hunters up front so that if they are not serious they will not apply.

“Politics is the only field in which the more experience you have, the worse you get." KF
Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Bob in TX] #2569546 09/09/11 02:00 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Bob in TX
NO!

There is no mention of "Texas Hunters only" in the draw manual or on the application. I might be wrong, but I don't remember a limit to Texas Hunters only in the hearings when this program was first set up (I didn't keep up with ALL the minutes) One doesn't even have to have a hunting license to apply - just have one when you get there.

Having said all that, I do believe that the percentages should be revisited and more draws made available to residents. That is what other states are doing - NM was the latest. I also think the license fee schedules should be revisited. In Colorado the non-resident tag for deer (this year) is $334 and $34 for resident. Texas percentage NR to R is close, but look how long the season is and the number of tags. I won't even get into ELK tags and that is what most of NR are going after. Colorado is making a killing off of the Out of Staters. If I just want scenery I'll go up and just camp during the summer. 2cents

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: JCB] #2569592 09/09/11 02:15 PM
I
icook'em Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: JCB
First off I have never entered for one of the draw hunts but I do think out of state hunters should be allowed to apply. Those applications equal more money for TP&W and that means more money for our state and our wildlife conservation efforts.

agree with JCB. and lets not forget all the other $$$ they bring to the state when they come down for their hunt and end up spending on lodging, shopping, eating out, etc. it's good business for Texas, and especially good business for the small communities near the hunting grounds. just saying... :o)

maybe - as a few others have already mentioned - there should be some sort of "quota" as to how many non-resident spots will be given away per year?

---
hunter's other half - i don't shoot them, but i cook'em... :o)

www.rancholasnoriastx.com
Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Hunt n Fish] #2569595 09/09/11 02:16 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I agree with dutton. I think they should be able to hunt here like we hunt there, but it should be restricted some and more than $3 up front from them should be required. I put up $1000 a year to put in for elk and deer in Colorado.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Hunt n Fish] #2569684 09/09/11 02:52 PM
D
dutton1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Originally Posted By: Bob in TX
NO!

There is no mention of "Texas Hunters only" in the draw manual or on the application. I might be wrong, but I don't remember a limit to Texas Hunters only in the hearings when this program was first set up (I didn't keep up with ALL the minutes) One doesn't even have to have a hunting license to apply - just have one when you get there.

Having said all that, I do believe that the percentages should be revisited and more draws made available to residents. That is what other states are doing - NM was the latest. I also think the license fee schedules should be revisited. In Colorado the non-resident tag for deer (this year) is $334 and $34 for resident. Texas percentage NR to R is close, but look how long the season is and the number of tags. I won't even get into ELK tags and that is what most of NR are going after. Colorado is making a killing off of the Out of Staters. If I just want scenery I'll go up and just camp during the summer. 2cents

I feel the same way make it more money up front for non residents. Keep the price low for residents.

“Politics is the only field in which the more experience you have, the worse you get." KF
Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: stinkbelly] #2569704 09/09/11 02:57 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
How about just requiring everyone to buy a hunting licence prior to applying and put the licence number on the application?

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Palehorse] #2569720 09/09/11 03:03 PM
Y
ytsejam Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
yea, but make them pay a little more.

I wish they would hurry up and draw, I am feeling lucky this year.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Palehorse] #2569726 09/09/11 03:04 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I am okay with it but they need to pay up front to apply just like Texans have to do to apply to other states. The 5-day non-resident $75 hunting license comes to mind as a prerequisite. I just made a post on the other thread about this same thing.

That non refundable license fee will weed out the Nonresidents that apply just to apply and maybe get lucky, and then go buy their license to hunt.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: TxTechsan] #2570788 09/09/11 10:34 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I still have a Texas Resident Insurance License - Group 1 Life & Health. I sold Supplemental Group Health insurance to business's for 8 years.

Back in the day when I was beating the bush's really hard, I opened more than a few clients that had employee's in out of state locations, that wanted to buy these policy's thru their Texas based home office. Great! Only problem was that the usual circumatance required me as the Agent of Record to be licensed in EVERY state that the Employees's lived in IF I wanted to be paid the comissions. Duoh!

In this situation Texas, and most states I know of or did business in, has agreements with every other state to allow, normally for a fee of course, this to take place without the giant PIA of going thru the testing etc to become licensed in every state you had this situation in...but the Texas Dept Of Insurance regs say that if another state charges $??? or $abcxyz whatever for that Out of State License, then any and all Agents from that State have to pay the same exact amount to become licensed on an Out of State basis in Texas.

Some states charge nothing, some mebbe a couple bux, but some charge couple hundred bux as I remember ...and Texas returned the "favor". Fair is Fair.

I think TP&W ought to start doing to ex. Colorado residents what Colorado is doing to Texans. Eye for an Eye. There is Legal Precedent already in place and no violation of the Federal Interstate Commerce Act would apparently be taking place. JMHO
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: TxTechsan] #2571216 09/10/11 02:39 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: TxTechsan

That non refundable license fee will weed out the Nonresidents that apply just to apply and maybe get lucky, and then go buy their license to hunt.

Not to mention anti hunters. Imagine what a nationally orgainised anti hunting group could do to our public draw.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Palehorse] #2571243 09/10/11 02:47 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
How about just requiring everyone to buy a hunting licence prior to applying and put the licence number on the application?

Colorado requires a previous years license or you pay a $25 fee per application.
Oklahoma requires a current years license for their draw even if it is only a 5 day.

I buy an Oklahoma license every year for the draw there no matter if I hunt in Oklahoma that year or not.
I buy a Colorado license every year because I apply for enough preference points that it is cheaper than paying the sum of $25 fees.

In a time when TPWD is making cuts and raising fees to us, I agree it is time non residents pitch in. Requiring a current years license would be fair and generate much needed revenue to the state.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Sniper John] #2571263 09/10/11 02:57 AM
T
texas falconer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
i am going to equate this to falconry.
texas has a receprication law to trap birds.
meaning that if a texan can go into another state and trap a bird, then texas will allow a resident of that state to come here and trap.

so i feel the same way about the hunt.
if the state the hunter comes from allows a texan to apply for thoes hunts, then they should be able to come here and apply.
if not then GTFO!!!!!
as stated, it can bring in alot of revenue to TPWD, but fair is fair.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: texas falconer] #2571401 09/10/11 03:55 AM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I say yes. If I have to move out of state for whatever reason, I want to be able to keep my preference points and keep applying. Also, if I want to apply for other state's tags, I can. I have no problem with it. They still have to buy Texas licenses and pay the fees. More funding for TPWD as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Justin T] #2571427 09/10/11 04:21 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Yes... They should set aside x amount to get auctioned off like Gov tags.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Sniper John] #2571444 09/10/11 04:39 AM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: TxTechsan

Not to mention anti hunters. Imagine what a nationally orgainised anti hunting group could do to our public draw.

I have heard of this happening in other states. One reason why they charge the nonrefundable fee.

I like the eye for an eye approach but it would be difficult to set up with the way this stuff changes from state to state time to time. I think the most practical thing is to require a full license or 5 day NR license to apply. Not just $3 and you are in the draw and guaranteed a PP.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: TxTechsan] #2571638 09/10/11 12:44 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
No, not at same that we pay.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Curtis] #2571996 09/10/11 03:54 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yes, but with an *. I don't currently like the system as it is compared to other states, but if we ban non-residents from our drawings then other states could do the same for us. Then it would be bye-bye public hunting opportunities for elk/mule deer and Texans would have to pay premiums for land owner tags out of state.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: NDN98] #2572069 09/10/11 04:37 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I think what gets me the most are the "Residents" that get drawn and don't even go. Don't know how many post I've seen (not necessarily here, but other forums) that people say they were drawn for "X" WMA and not going to go. Why even apply if you already know you can't go on the dates listed for that hunt.

Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: sqiggy] #2572217 09/10/11 06:04 PM
H
Hill Country Hunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
I think what gets me the most are the "Residents" that get drawn and don't even go. Don't know how many post I've seen (not necessarily here, but other forums) that people say they were drawn for "X" WMA and not going to go. Why even apply if you already know you can't go on the dates listed for that hunt.

I am one of those "residents" you are writing about. Over 20+ years of applying I have missed four hunts and none of them due to my fault. One was a gator hunt at Murphree. The two other hunters(relatives) backed out within a few days and left me without a boat. mad Two other hunts were youth hunts that my nephews were distracted preteens and did not want to go. frown Last year I was again drawn for a gator hunt at Murphree. Since I have become disabled I cannot go by myself and I could not get anyone to help me. frown My 10 year old nephew did offer to help though smile

There will be drawn hunters who will miss an upcoming future hunt. They will miss for all types of reasons. I do agree with if they are not going to go why put in for the drawing. TPWD should make it an option on the hunts to choose whether to actually register for the hunt or choose preference points for next season. TPWD would still get their much needed funds either way. My 2cents

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: Hill Country Hunter] #2572392 09/10/11 08:05 PM
M
mossberg man Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
i saw yes but with a 10:1 ratio. compared to many other states texas has very little public land. i know they boast about having 1.5 million acres of land but majority of that is dove/duck, i'm not certain but would bet that when you see public land around a lake they also count the surface area of the water as 'public hunting' land, which it is not really hunt able.

one thing i wish texas did: if a draw hunt winner contacts the field office where he is hunting and informs them he cant make it or if the field office has left over tags you could call a few days ahead and take his spot or purchase/reserve a tag over the phone instead of making a early morning trip to the designated office to even see if there are extra tags available.

she said ,why does that ammo have pretty green tips on it? the guy said its the eco-friendy ammo.
Re: Should Non Residents be able to apply for TPWD drawn hunts [Re: mossberg man] #2572457 09/10/11 08:44 PM
C
circlep Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Ok, I am a nonresident and I should be able to apply to hunt public land in Texas if I want too. Of course as an out of state hunter I would have to pay the extra cost of license, etc. I don't mind paying a fee for applying as I do when I put in for the draw in Colorado. I live next to a FWR and have hunted it all my life. But now there are more Texas trucks then Arkansas most of the time, plus you are able to draw for permits in Arkansas also. The only thing I want to hunt in TX is your mule deer and exotics. I have plenty of white tail to hunt. Keep coming to Arkansas and hunting I have no problem with it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide