Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Legal Question... [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #255033 11/18/07 12:41 AM
C
crazyal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
You have a screw on compensator on the ar when the suppressor is not on there? if so use the suppressor while in the stand if the pigs show and if you need to shoot a deer as well use your intended rifle for that. when leaving the stand take off the suppressor and relace it with your compensator. this way if you are even checked it shouldn't even become an issue. i would say this would be no different than if you were leaving the lease or ranch in possession of you suppressor and a game animal of any kind even if you have a stack of hogs and a unsuppressed rifle with you and you are pulled over and checked. you would still have to hope that the GW is a reasonable person which i have heard many times aren't and just plea you case. my take and my .02

Re: Legal Question... [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #255034 11/18/07 01:13 AM
D
DTCOOPER Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Lefty,
I do hope you know I was joking... Every gun I own is black..

Daniel
Just Because... That's why.
Re: Legal Question... [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #255035 11/18/07 03:00 AM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Should anyone wish to do what I have described above I would suggest you call your local game warden and talk with them before you do it. I just did and had a good 10-15 min talk with a real nice guy.

I know you all want to know the outcome, but the conversation I had with him and the details of it will remain between us. Sorry to disapoint

Re: Legal Question... [Re: Greg] #255036 11/18/07 04:20 AM
D
DTCOOPER Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Hmmm,
Come on Greg... give us a hint..

Daniel
Re: Legal Question... [Re: DTCOOPER] #255037 11/18/07 02:59 PM
K
karma Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
As a owner of NFA supressors/firearms like Greg is talking about, I can add a few words. I see no reason and no law in the TP&W handbook that would prohibit shooting hogs and other non game animals would be illegal at any time. It not illegal and I hunt hogs suppressed often, along with quite a few other hunters here in N. Texas. I have hunted them with machine guns as well.

In many countries, suppressed hunting is a common courtesy to other hunters in the area. Unfortunately, here it usually automatically implies 'illegal poaching of deer at night'.

How many of you wear earplugs out in the deer stand? It's nice to shoot multiple hogs and not be deaf when you are done.
If you were on the next lease over from me and you were hunting hard for that big buck would prefer:
A) Me to shoot at a pack of hogs 5x with a .300 Win mag
or
B) Me to shoot at them 5x with a supressed rifle

I can see a situation if you are standing over a dead deer with a small caliber hole in it and a suppressed AR in your hands- so don't put yourself in that type of situation. Calling the game warden to inform him of your intentions is fine too but keep in mind that the game warden is going have something to talk about at the coffee shop when he leaves. That could come back to haunt you as the small town local people just might not understand your desire to be a legal and law abiding hunter. If I wanted to poach deer or shoot them at night I sure wouldn't have spent the thousands of dollars obtaining my suppressors/NFA weapons legally, too much to lose for me.....

Me vs. All Gods Creatures
Re: Legal Question... [Re: Greg] #255038 11/18/07 03:29 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I know you all want to know the outcome, but the conversation I had with him and the details of it will remain between us. Sorry to disapoint.

That is really a nice piece of right there, I don't care who you are.

You make a post, asking a question, then after everyone makes their comments and you finally get an answer from the GW, you are not going to pass on the information.

That is just wrong.

Why even ask a question or give an answer on a subject, when in the long run, when the proper information is obtained, not pass it along to others?

I don't see that anything was accomplished.

Last edited by crazyhorseconsulting; 11/18/07 03:42 PM.
Re: Legal Question... [Re: Crazyhorse] #255039 11/18/07 05:00 PM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
You are funny CHC. Let me put it to you like this. I was neither told I could nor could not do what I want to do.

In order to use suppressors you have to have paperwork approved by the ATF, which we do. The GW wants me to call him when we head out this Friday so he can come out and meet us and make sure everythihg is in line and we have all of our ducks in a row before he tells us we can or can not do it. Sounds like a fair request to me.

There. Hope that is not as much of a answer for you.

Re: Legal Question... [Re: Greg] #255040 11/18/07 05:44 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

The GW wants me to call him when we head out this Friday so he can come out and meet us and make sure everythihg is in line and we have all of our ducks in a row before he tells us we can or can not do it.

That is the answer I was looking for, and no it isn't .

Oh yes, clean out your mail box, please.

Re: Legal Question... [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #255041 11/19/07 05:02 AM
I
Isom's_Duck_Dawgs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
well you can not have that gun in the deer stand with you and a deer rifle in the stand if you do you are going to have to convince the game warden you are not deer hunting with it and you are using it for pigs. It like when you go duck hunting you can not be in poss. of any lead shells at all you you will get a ticket for each lead shell you have.

Taylor Isom
817-933-2153 Cell

Re: Legal Question... [Re: Isom's_Duck_Dawgs] #255042 11/19/07 01:27 PM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

It like when you go duck hunting you can not be in poss. of any lead shells at all you you will get a ticket for each lead shell you have.

You are correct about the lead shells... from the book:

"Nontoxic Shot: While waterfowl hunting, only nontoxic shot approved by the director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service may be possessed. Lead shot is unlawful!"

It specifically says that while duck hunting you can't have any lead with you. Therefore I can see why you would get a ticket for it.

However...IT DOES NOT SAY YOU CAN'T HAVE A SUPPRESSOR IN YOUR POSSITION while hunting game animals in the book. It says you can't harvest game animals with a suppressed rifle. Mentions nothing about having one with you.

BIG difference.

Now... if that's all you have with you and you also have a dead deer, I can see how you would be in trouble.

My question is this... who does the burden of proof fall on.

Since we know you are allowed to use suppressors to kill hogs at anytime of the year, are you saying I would get a ticket if I was in a stand during deer season with only a suppressed gun?

Your answer to that would probably be yes... but wait. What if I'm hog hunting? How do you know I'm not?

I think in situations like these it's best to talk with your GW or LEO before you do anything so you are both on the same page. If you are doing nothing wrong or illegal, there should be no reason you don't call him/her.

I should have been a lawyer

Re: Legal Question... [Re: Greg] #255043 11/19/07 02:05 PM
D
DTCOOPER Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Greg- "I should have been a lawyer"
BS - you couldn't afford the cut in pay..

Daniel
Re: Legal Question... [Re: MontagueBowBuster] #255044 11/19/07 11:08 PM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:

I wanna know what paperwork you have to have to be able to carry a silencer. You must be a high ranking officer or a federal arms dealer! Seriously though I would really like to know how to obtain paperwork to get a silencer.

Quite easy actualy. Call the suppressor dealer for the paperwork. The application fee "$200" to the ATF with a good guy letter from your local sheriff will get you one if you have a clean record.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide