Print Thread
East Texas Rattling #252127 11/13/07 01:09 AM
B
Big Daddy K Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Anybody still having any success rattleing in East Texas?

Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Big Daddy K] #252128 11/13/07 11:29 AM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
BigDaddyK i hunted sat and sun. and i rattle about every 30min. and i havent had any response at all this year but havent seen many bucks either.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Hoytman] #252129 11/13/07 11:40 AM
D
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The only luck I ever had rattling in East Texas was rattling up a raccoon!

Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Big Daddy K] #252130 11/13/07 01:14 PM
USMarine Offline
Tracker
Tracker
This was my first year to try rattling, however I used a rattling bag instead of antlers. I have only tried on one buck after I determined he was going to come into bow range. He would stop and look but he never would come toward me. Maybe it was to early in the year but it was final weekend of bow season. So I took a picture of him as he left.

Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Big Daddy K] #252131 11/13/07 05:46 PM
B
Buck_N_Hook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have tried but no success this year with it. Rattled a buck up 2 years ago though. The rumor is in East Texas that December is a better time to rattle. Never hurts to try though.

"People have more fun than anybody I know!!!"
Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Buck_N_Hook] #252132 11/13/07 06:33 PM
F
FETCH_UP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I tried to rattle last year with no success...rattled often in west tx and have had great success, i just dont seem to get any responses in east tx. Its weird because i have rattled up some nice deer in other parts of the state, just never seems to work where I am in East Tx.

[Linked Image]
HRCH ACE MH
Triple D Duck Club
Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: FETCH_UP] #252133 11/13/07 07:05 PM
B
beauxhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
That has to do with the buck to doe ratio being all out of whack in most of East Texas fellas. It is much easier to get a buck fired up when he has alot of competition then it is for one that has 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 does to choose from with little or no competition.

It's not how far a shot, it's how close you got.
Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Big Daddy K] #252134 11/14/07 12:25 PM
B
boliverpete Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I tried it this past Thursday. A couple of minutes after I quit, I heard something busting thru the brush coming right towards me. I got excited only to see 2 hunters making a b-line for me. That was all the excitement I had that weekend.

Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: boliverpete] #252135 11/14/07 01:18 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
It's not that rattling don't work in East Texas, but that it don't seem to work.

In the dense woods, a buck will hear the rattling and come to investigate. He'll stay hidden in the thickets, looking. He'll finally determine the location, then circle around to get a better advantage.

Meanwhile, the hunter (if not privy to the bucks actions here) will give up - or move - or do something, like take a drink of water, or a bite of jerky, not knowing that ol' big boy is close by keeping a sharp eye out. More times than not the hunter's busted.

Rattling in East Texas, in my opinion, takes patience and a very cautious and observant approach. Rattle/stop/look/listen. Often times, you won't see the buck, but you might see a bush or sapling moving, or hear a low grunt. This means you've been heard and now it's time for the buck to check you out. The buck will circle, sometimes hitting a sapling (look real close for a sapling top to move slightly), then get the wind in his advantage. You need to know he'll be sniffing for you. Have good cover scent applied.

It may take several long minutes, but if you're determined, stick with the program. Allow him to let his guard down. That's when rattling pays off in the thick woods of East Texas. JMHO.

Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Big Orn] #252136 11/14/07 01:56 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

It's not that rattling don't work in East Texas, but that it don't seem to work.

In the dense woods, a buck will hear the rattling and come to investigate. He'll stay hidden in the thickets, looking. He'll finally determine the location, then circle around to get a better advantage.

Meanwhile, the hunter (if not privy to the bucks actions here) will give up - or move - or do something, like take a drink of water, or a bite of jerky, not knowing that ol' big boy is close by keeping a sharp eye out. More times than not the hunter's busted.

Rattling in East Texas, in my opinion, takes patience and a very cautious and observant approach. Rattle/stop/look/listen. Often times, you won't see the buck, but you might see a bush or sapling moving, or hear a low grunt. This means you've been heard and now it's time for the buck to check you out. The buck will circle, sometimes hitting a sapling (look real close for a sapling top to move slightly), then get the wind in his advantage. You need to know he'll be sniffing for you. Have good cover scent applied.

It may take several long minutes, but if you're determined, stick with the program. Allow him to let his guard down. That's when rattling pays off in the thick woods of East Texas. JMHO.

Orn do you have two or three nuts loosened on the bumper, for rattling

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Team Hillbilly] #252137 11/14/07 10:45 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I think Orn is on to something.

During the youth weekend I hit the rattle bag for about a minute at about 10:30AM. In about 15 min I saw a deer moving slowly but steadily through a pin oak flat. Head up and looking. The closer he got the more cautious he was. Before he got to us he made a left and started to go around to our side. The whole time he had his head up but stayed in the brush.

The next weekend I tried it again on my Cass County lease. A little "goat headed" spike came trotting up the trail out of a clear cut in about 15 min of me stopping ratteling.

Next weekend nothing. It was warm and windy though.

Just wondering if pre-rut is better than rut or post rut.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Big Daddy K] #252138 11/15/07 02:31 AM
P
PaulB Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Orn is correct. I rattled one in Saturday evening about 30 minutes before dark. I heard him grunt, walking around, jump a creek coming to me but he wouldn't commit. He stayed just out of sight about 40 yards away in some thick junk until it was too dark to see.

East Texas rattling takes patience. Its works more than most think but you have to be paying attention.

Last edited by PaulB; 11/15/07 02:34 AM.
Re: East Texas Rattling [Re: Team Hillbilly] #252139 11/15/07 10:56 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Quote:

Orn do you have two or three nuts loosened on the bumper, for rattling

Don't let this get out, but if you strow about 6 dominoes over the hood while hitting them backroads, it'll make even the biggest bucks come to their milch.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide