Print Thread
Barnet Crossbow? #2511857 08/17/11 03:35 PM
S
san diego hunter Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
There is a guy here selling this crossbow for $120. He says its a Barnet Crossbow:

What do you guys think? worth $120? I want something inexpensive to startup bow hunting, i have never used one before.

Joel
Re: Barnet Crossbow? [Re: san diego hunter] #2515580 08/18/11 09:16 PM
C
crossbow62 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
doesnt look like much i would stay away.you can spend around three and get one brand new ready to hunt.

Re: Barnet Crossbow? [Re: crossbow62] #2518226 08/19/11 10:06 PM
L
LM1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I agree with crossbow62!

Life Is Good!
Re: Barnet Crossbow? [Re: LM1] #2518289 08/19/11 10:41 PM
M
michael rice Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: LM1
I agree with crossbow62!

x3

Re: Barnet Crossbow? [Re: michael rice] #2520705 08/21/11 04:29 AM
B
Big Hat Outfitters Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
remember, you get what you pay for. Barnett is a good name in Crossbow but that there looks a bit rough but hard to tell in that pic. Get the model and research it.

Cabelas had some deals running this weekend on crossbow packages. Go by and shoot a couple of them and see if they feel right.

Re: Barnet Crossbow? [Re: Big Hat Outfitters] #2521372 08/21/11 04:46 PM
B
Bonner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
You definitely get what you pay for in terms of quality with crossbows. See if you can find a used excal crossbow if you are not ina position to go to cabelas or bas pro and shoot all you can get your hands on. Here is some advice I gave to another:

Janie - I was in your shoes last year. It was the best decsision I ever made. Here is how my story went, which is why I am absolutely addicted. I (like you) had always rifle hunted for lat 30 years - never really got tired of rifle hunting. Compound Bow hunting never really appealed to me but I always envied the guys that go to start a month before me So last year I got on a lease very close to home in September two weeks before opening weekend of archery season. Returned following weekend to put up stands and bought my crossbow. Opening weekend finished putting up stands and feeders and checked game cams. Next weekend hunted first time with crossbow. First shot at 30yds, first doe. Was the coolest thing I had ever experienced. Dreaded tracking but turned out to be fun - blood trail was like a massacre She ran maybe 25yds in the woodsIt was awesome. I assure you - you will be hooked when you get your first shot and kill. There is no other sound like a bolt hitting a deer broadside.

Here is my advice on crossbows - shoot as manay as you can get your hands on. As you will see you can spend anywhere from $450 - $2000 on them. I am lucky enough to live 10 miles from cabelas so I spent three trips shooting everyuthing they had. Each croosbow has a different feel (much more diverse than rifle). Trigger pull is alos much different with each. I ended up buying a Ten Point XLT Turbo. Just felt really good and had confidence when shooting it. That is the true key to the crossbows. Get something that just feels good. Another brand I was considering is Excalibur due to the fact they are a recurve and if a string ever needs replacing you can do it in the field in about two minutes - the compund crossbows require a press that (unless you ahve about $600 for press) generally means a trip to a bow shop. Since I live so close to cabelas i had the luxury of not having to sweat this (until it ruins a hunt for me ) I ended up buying my xbow from Wyvern Creations (look them up online - he is like "THE" man to buy xbows from. Knows his stuff and does his people right). He knows which bows shoot which arrows with which broadhead combos the best. I also spared no money on optics. Even though some think its not a sport to use a crossbow - much less with a scope - I disagree. Where I hunt the sport is actually getting a shot at a deer all season. So when I do finally get that shot _ i want it to be the best I can put on the deer and make it as humane a kill as possible. There is not jumping strings etc with a xbow within 30yds. I got a Hawke xbow scope - about $250. Leupold and some of the others are putting out some nice glass as well. Dont skimp on any of it.

Next - broadheads. The same argument follows xbows like it does with regular compounds. I use the fixed blad 100gr slick tricks. The deer i shot had an exit would that look like she had been shot with a slug - blood trail was massive. I have no reason to try something different. With fixed you just dont have to worry about any problems that may happen with mechanicals. Just my two cents.

do your research. I bought my bow from wyvern creations (lookup wyverncreations.com on the web. Dave (the owner) is thE xbow guy.

latly - you will see bows that shoot in excess of 400fps. That is way overkill. At that speed you start running into target issues etc. Its just too much. Stick with the 315 - 350 range. Pass thrus are a given at this speed and (JUST MY OPINION) no need to be taking shots at over 35 yrds as well. Just too muc room for a an errored shot at a deer at that range. Again - where I hunt I cant afford to wound a deer with a bad shot and never find him or her. Again just my two cents.

Good luck. I personally cant wait for the first weekend in October way more than opening weekend of rifle season. It is that addictive.

PS - I also picked up black powder hunting last season as well to get an extra three weeks of hunting in January

Last edited by Bonner; 08/21/11 04:49 PM.
Re: Barnet Crossbow? [Re: Bonner] #2532925 08/25/11 06:30 PM
2010bigdog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Have a brand new, never fired 2011 Barnett Revolution. 4X Barnett multi-reticle scope w/lens scope cover, 4 field arrows in quiver, cocking rope. Also has mounting bracket for Leupold Vendetta range finder. All for $480. Partially assembled but nothing ever fired or used. Medical issues have kept me from using it.
Also have crank cocking device in box never opened $75.
22" arrows
Bow shoots 345 fps
Kinetic energy 122 ft/lbs
Limbs have quick detach and reattach for easy storage or transport.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide