Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: stxranchman] #2471822 08/02/11 12:42 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
All corn sold as wildlife corn will be labeled with an amount of aflatoxin by the seller per the state regs. They check them regularly also. If the feed stores do not have it labeled ask them for it, if they do not have a current one then go somewhere else for your corn.

Storage and handling after the test add to the problems. I have always wondered about these places that store pallets of bagged corn in front of their store on asphalt and in full sun. The feed store will have his corn inside the building, avoiding the heat build-up that can increase the aflatoxin growth rate. In normal years, this is not a problem but this is far from being a normal year.

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: aeb] #2471838 08/02/11 12:46 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: aeb
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
All corn sold as wildlife corn will be labeled with an amount of aflatoxin by the seller per the state regs. They check them regularly also. If the feed stores do not have it labeled ask them for it, if they do not have a current one then go somewhere else for your corn.

Storage and handling after the test add to the problems. I have always wondered about these places that store pallets of bagged corn in front of their store on asphalt and in full sun. The feed store will have his corn inside the building, avoiding the heat build-up that can increase the aflatoxin growth rate. In normal years, this is not a problem but this is far from being a normal year.

Correct. But with cleaning of corn you skim off the bad or worst parts that are the highest in aflatoxin and it becomes corn screening used in feed mixes for the most part. The bags used to today will breath and still be water proof for the most part. Corn raised in Texas is dried in the field and corn in the midwest has to be dried in storage is shipped to Texas before bagging. Good grain storage facilities will not let corn with bad moisture levels in it get into bags.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: don k] #2471867 08/02/11 12:53 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Bet the cows got
A)prussic posioning from...hay or johnson grass
or
B)Oak leaf poisoning

I agree.

Ya with every thing stressed it's a lot higher probability...then the corn toxin

lost a few about ten years ago to both

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: DiverTexas] #2471895 08/02/11 12:58 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: DiverTexas
Had my cows get into the corn before with no adverse reactions.
Had an old timer tell me if they got too much they would founder and die.
Not sure if that's a wives tale or not.

cattle dont have anything to tell them when they are "full" which is why they can eat themselves to death if they get into corn. Horses are even worse about it.

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: Closed Traverse] #2471945 08/02/11 01:12 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
Originally Posted By: DiverTexas
Had my cows get into the corn before with no adverse reactions.
Had an old timer tell me if they got too much they would founder and die.
Not sure if that's a wives tale or not.

cattle dont have anything to tell them when they are "full" which is why they can eat themselves to death if they get into corn. Horses are even worse about it.

Cows will cut themselves back why you can feed them whole round bales of alfalfa... But your right don't do that with a horse. Cows can handle lots of hot feed horses can not

Corn is nothing if you want to see what a cow can handle feed wise go to a dairy....silage and alfalfa are hot feeds

Cows can eat corn all day long, It's the wet moldy stuff that bad.

I personally don't see how ten cows can
A) eat enough corn from a spinner feeder
B) eat enough off the ground to harm them.... Corn normally has to pile up for them to eat it.... They can get some off the bare ground but not much... Big chore for them.

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 08/02/11 01:16 AM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2472060 08/02/11 01:55 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
If the whole herd looks poor my vote would go toward mineral difficiencies from lack of feed & breaking down and dying out in this heat.

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: rifleman] #2472067 08/02/11 01:57 AM
P
pnh Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
up Like I said.

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: pnh] #2472071 08/02/11 01:58 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Or that smile

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2472286 08/02/11 02:57 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
[I personally don't see how ten cows can
A) eat enough corn from a spinner feeder
B) eat enough off the ground to harm them.... Corn normally has to pile up for them to eat it.... They can get some off the bare ground but not much... Big chore for them.

Agreed

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: deerfeeder] #2472583 08/02/11 04:09 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Good read here on Alfatoxin. Don't know why I cant get links to work.

less the 50ppm for wildlife feeds.

http://www.jacobyfeed.com/deer-corn.html

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: deerfeeder] #2472913 08/02/11 11:54 AM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We've lost 60+ head on the big ranch and theres no corn feed there, their dropping like fly's all over TX.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: deerfeeder] #2473069 08/02/11 01:15 PM
M
MikeBillington Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Without seeing your ranch and the type of grasses that are on there it is impossible to know what killed those cows. Prussic poisioning, as was suggested, is possible if you have sudan type grasses. During a drought year those grasses get stressed and build up nitrogen. Usually it doesn't hurt the cows if they just graze on it in passing. Unless you just turned them loose on a field of sudan grass prussic poisioning should not be the factor here. Cows feed much closer to the ground during a drought year and can pick up many different viruses and bacteria. They could have contracted black leg or even anthrax among other diseases. The only way to know for sure what killed those cows is an autopsy by a qualified vet.

Evelyn and Michael Billington
BILLINGTON RANCH TAXIDERMY
Georgetown, TX
254-793-2120
www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com
www.facebook.com/billingtonranchtaxidermy (LIKE us on FB)
Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: HWY_MAN] #2473529 08/02/11 04:14 PM
R
REDGUN Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
We've lost 60+ head on the big ranch and theres no corn feed there, their dropping like fly's all over TX.

This is what we noticed in our research.

Bad range conditions have cows dying everywhere across the state. Our "rancher" is just trying to blame it on the corn to try to get the feed store (or us) to pay for his lost cattle.

Thanks for all the replys. up

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: REDGUN] #2473536 08/02/11 04:21 PM
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: REDGUN
On our deer lease in North Texas, the rancher found 10 dead cows. He (the rancher) thinks it is the corn from our deer feeder. We didn't think there was any way the cows could get enough corn off the ground to hurt them, but we drove to the lease, got corn samples and had it tested.

Acceptable Aflitoxin levels for "deer corn" are supposedly 400, our's tested 720. The guy that did the testing told us before he started that it was going to be high. He said ALL corn in Texas right now is over the limit because of the drought.

Any idea if a cow could actually die from/because of this 720 Aflitoxin corn?(being thrown out of a spincast feeder, not free choice)

Hope it all works out for you,sounds like your rancher might be on a "witch hunt" to off set his lose,and unfortunatly you might be lookin for a new lease if it doesnt go his way.

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #2473549 08/02/11 04:28 PM
DSP56 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Could've been the heat but the question that i have is were those cows on sudan?

If I had a big horse pistol like that , I would'nt be scared of no Booger Man! - Rooster Cogburn
Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #2473570 08/02/11 04:34 PM
R
REDGUN Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Rockinmyshoe
On our deer lease in North Texas, the rancher found 10 dead cows. He (the rancher) thinks it is the corn from our deer feeder. We didn't think there was any way the cows could get enough corn off the ground to hurt them, but we drove to the lease, got corn samples and had it tested.

Acceptable Aflitoxin levels for "deer corn" are supposedly 400, our's tested 720. The guy that did the testing told us before he started that it was going to be high. He said ALL corn in Texas right now is over the limit because of the drought.

Any idea if a cow could actually die from/because of this 720 Aflitoxin corn?(being thrown out of a spincast feeder, not free choice)

Hope it all works out for you,sounds like your rancher might be on a "witch hunt" to off set his lose,and unfortunatly you might be lookin for a new lease if it doesnt go his way.

I think that if we can prove to the landowner that the little bit of corn they ate didn't kill them (and things do get ugly), the landowner would lease to a new rancher, not kick us off.

The local biologist gave me the name/email of a proffessor at Texas A & M that is supposed to be able to tell me for sure "how much Aflitoxin" it takes to kill a cow. I was just wanting some other opinions as well.

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: REDGUN] #2473614 08/02/11 04:57 PM
C
chargercody Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Could be coccidiosis if the pasture is overstocked and overgrazed.....although it is more common during wet seasons with overcrowded lots than it is during a dry season like we have now. When the cattle have to start grazing neer the root systems of the forage in the pasture (due to overgrazing and overcrowding), they will will pick up parasites. I've dealt with it and it isn't good.

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: chargercody] #2473741 08/02/11 06:08 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Yearling yes, cows not so much

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: REDGUN] #2473940 08/02/11 07:18 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: pnh
What kind of physical condition are the rest of the cows in?

BAD, they look like a walking pile of bones and hair. loco

dunce Rancher doesn't recognize stress? (his fault!)

Re: Question for cattle ranchers [Re: MikeBillington] #2474183 08/02/11 09:15 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted By: MikeBillington
Without seeing your ranch and the type of grasses that are on there it is impossible to know what killed those cows. Prussic poisioning, as was suggested, is possible if you have sudan type grasses. During a drought year those grasses get stressed and build up nitrogen. Usually it doesn't hurt the cows if they just graze on it in passing. Unless you just turned them loose on a field of sudan grass prussic poisioning should not be the factor here. Cows feed much closer to the ground during a drought year and can pick up many different viruses and bacteria. They could have contracted black leg or even anthrax among other diseases. The only way to know for sure what killed those cows is an autopsy by a qualified vet.

Exactly right!!!

And I saw someone say something about never seeing corn test higher then 600. Well, a local farmer that I know here took some in to the mill to get tested this year. The feed mills meter only went to 800 and it pegged it out! That is what happens when you only recieve 5"+/- of rain the last 10 months and have pumped the fertilizer to the corn field!

That said, I don't believe for a minute that corn from a feeder killed these cows!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide