Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: longhorn_cop] #2436478 07/18/11 01:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: longhorn_cop
All i said is the taxi at the least owes that guy a new cape.
The hunter shouldn't have to find one on his own and pay for it.
The taxi should man up and get a new one for the guy.

Who said the taxi had a liability release? Did miss that somewhere.

from the story it looks like the taxi was in the process of finding an new cape and a fox, but they dropped in on him before he could do so. if they hadn't stopped by they might have never known.

All taxi's have liability releases involving fire, theft, acts of god, etc. Its on the reciept that you sign when you drop off an animal.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: TTUhunter4] #2436561 07/18/11 01:50 PM
M
MossyOakChick2010 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
All this fuss over a little ten point and a gray fox...He should have called, sure, but it was just an accident.
First off this was not a usual sized buck for the area. This deer was hunted on public property where you have to walk in through the sand over a mile crossing a river at least 10 times and it's too shallow for even a canoe. We don't use bait/feeders, tree stands, ground blinds, game cameras, no high fences, no ATV's or trucks to take you there. Where we hunt, when you shoot something, guess how you get it back. You cut it up on the spot, put in in bags, then in put it in your back pack and walk out. This is not an easy task. This is not a hunt where you and bubba drive up to your deer stand with your bud light in hand and shoot the first ear tag $2000 buck. We actually have to "hunt" for our deer and there are alot of hours that go into every season. It took us over 10 years to get a buck this big here and that's hunting 20+ days a season, every season. Not to mention this buck had a 21" neck which capes that are this size are not easy to come by nor are they just $60. Most likely we will be forced to have a cape from a northern buck used which is not the same thing, the hair is different length, the coloration is not the same, the overall look will not be the same. Oh and our taxidermist "did not" have a release of liability on any forms we signed.

As a matter of fact, I DO hunt like a girl!
Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2436577 07/18/11 01:54 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
juggle the sorry for your loss comment cost me a keyboard rofl

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: MossyOakChick2010] #2436579 07/18/11 01:55 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: MossyOakChick2010
[quote=TTUhunter4] Not to mention this buck had a 21" neck which capes that are this size are not easy to come by nor are they just $60. Most likely we will be forced to have a cape from a northern buck used which is not the same thing, the hair is different length, the coloration is not the same, the overall look will not be the same. Oh and our taxidermist "did not" have a release of liability on any forms we signed.

call a taxi in san antonio, a buck with a 21" in neck is not uncommon for a mature south texas buck....the one I killed last year was 22".

I you wanna wait till season I'll give you a cape for $60 that is 21"

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: MossyOakChick2010] #2436589 07/18/11 02:00 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
All this fuss over a little ten point and a gray fox...He should have called, sure, but it was just an accident.
First off this was not a usual sized buck for the area. This deer was hunted on public property where you have to walk in through the sand over a mile crossing a river at least 10 times and it's too shallow for even a canoe. We don't use bait/feeders, tree stands, ground blinds, game cameras, no high fences, no ATV's or trucks to take you there. Where we hunt, when you shoot something, guess how you get it back. You cut it up on the spot, put in in bags, then in put it in your back pack and walk out. This is not an easy task. This is not a hunt where you and bubba drive up to your deer stand with your bud light in hand and shoot the first ear tag $2000 buck. We actually have to
"hunt" for our deer and there are alot of hours that go into every season. It took us over 10 years to get a buck this big here and that's hunting 20+ days a season, every season. Not to mention this buck had a 21" neck which capes that are this size are not easy to come by nor are they just $60. Most likely we will be forced to have a cape from a northern buck used which is not the same thing, the hair is different length, the coloration is not the same, the overall look will not be the same. Oh and our taxidermist "did not" have a release of liability on any forms we signed.

21" capes are a dime a doze hate to break it to you but that is a fact and you can get them untanned just skinned and frozen all day for $50 and while a nice deer this has gotten blown out of whack, I offered you a cape and the damn hair well it is just hair and if he had gotten the same size cape and color you would have never known not saying it is right but damn the horns are what truly matter you think he was gonna build a special form too, they are all put on the same forms ao truly the cape is not worth getting upset about.

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: BMD] #2436597 07/18/11 02:03 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Tx I offered a cape, 21" capes are the norm at my buddies shop? The 24's rolling in from the panhandle are the biguns grin

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: BMD] #2436613 07/18/11 02:09 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I can understand the dissapointment of it not being "your" cape, especially if it was your personal best, but the reality is that many, many deer are mounted with capes that arn't the originals. of course, some deer have unique capes, such as double throat patches, etc....if it was one of these type bucks, it would make a difference, but whats done is done.

I would be thankful that the husband still has his antlers, that they didn't get burned up in a fire or stolen.

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: txtrophy85] #2436696 07/18/11 02:46 PM
B
Bulldog4949 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Too much drama here but I will add my $0.02. Accidents happen. He should have been up front but he was trying to cover his butt before you caught on. Anyways.

They are 2 animals easily replaceable. Shoot another fox if you just HAVE to have the skin you shot. Then shoot another buck this year and use that cape to remount the antlers with. No biggy.

Oh yea, and having that Bud Light in my hands while in the stand tastes delicious. wink

Last edited by Bulldog4949; 07/18/11 02:49 PM.

JB European Mounts
Professional Skull Cleaning
(806) 683-3739
jbeuropeanmounts@yahoo.com
Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: Bulldog4949] #2436898 07/18/11 04:04 PM
M
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Actually they are not that common, most people over exaggerate the size of their deer among other things! The few bucks with 21" inch necks in this area are almost always already used in mounts. Anyone can look up and see the online capes typically offered for sale are 19 inch or less in Texas. Not all deer capes are the same, and a South TX cape does not look like a East TX cape, they are almost always a little different in coloration. Reguardless, anyone who just thanks "oh well just go shoot another one" would not be saying so if it happened to them!

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: MossyOakChick2010] #2436910 07/18/11 04:08 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Several people have offered their advice and to help you make the best of a bad situation and you continually choose to ignore it, I wish you would call the Game Warden and Police over the Deal they need a great laugh for Briefing.

Again the guy obviously screwed up

Look on the bright side he could have done what most would have and told you to get bent, judging by how your acting he probably should have.

Last edited by Tactical_Smurf; 07/18/11 04:11 PM.

Certified Glock Armorer - Because my Sig Sauers Don't Fail.
"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: MossyOakChick2010] #2436921 07/18/11 04:14 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Actually they are not that common, most people over exaggerate the size of their deer among other things! The few bucks with 21" inch necks in this area are almost always already used in mounts. Anyone can look up and see the online capes typically offered for sale are 19 inch or less in Texas. Not all deer capes are the same, and a South TX cape does not look like a East TX cape, they are almost always a little different in coloration. Reguardless, anyone who just thanks "oh well just go shoot another one" would not be saying so if it happened to them!

They are that common at taxidermy shop almost everyday for last 25yrs they are that common I assure you, most are 18 to 20. But 21" capes are common!

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: MossyOakChick2010] #2436941 07/18/11 04:21 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Not all deer capes are the same, and a South TX cape does not look like a East TX cape, they are almost always a little different in coloration. !

half the deer living in east texas are decendants from south texas genetics.

I'd bet money that if he would have not been caught, you wouldnt have noticeced the difference of the cape if he had any sense and used one of the same size.

I feel bad for the taxidermist, he had a major trajedy happen, and your on here slandering his name like he was hitler

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: BMD] #2436942 07/18/11 04:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
juggle

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: txtrophy85] #2436949 07/18/11 04:24 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Not all deer capes are the same, and a South TX cape does not look like a East TX cape, they are almost always a little different in coloration. !

I'd bet money that if he would have not been caught, you wouldnt have noticeced the difference of the cape if he had any sense and used one of the same size.

I feel bad for the taxidermist, he had a major trajedy happen, and your on here slandering his name like he was hitler

X2 and the cape offer is withdrawn as well.

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: stxranchman] #2436955 07/18/11 04:24 PM
M
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Well, now I tried to chash the Taxi's check and it bounced......... isn't this a wonderful day!

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: BMD] #2436971 07/18/11 04:28 PM
M
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: BMD

Don't you worry about me. I am one Hell of a resourceful chick. I don't need any help finding a cape. But thanks, your sweet. laugh

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: MossyOakChick2010] #2436978 07/18/11 04:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Don't you worry about me. I am one Hell of a resourceful chick. I don't need any help finding a cape. But thanks, your sweet. laugh

nidea Then why the OP to begin with? confused2

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: stxranchman] #2436998 07/18/11 04:36 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
If he wrote you a hot check now you have something to take to the DA smile

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: BMD] #2437004 07/18/11 04:39 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If he wrote you a hot check now you have something to take to the DA smile

try and get them to throw in another $60 so you can get a new cape

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: stxranchman] #2437014 07/18/11 04:41 PM
M
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
First of all, how many people get on here and just talk about nothing. I am sharing a story of something that happened. It didn’t want it to turn into a what region has better deer contest. Plus, I know this taxi has a quite a few people that are going to still be looking for their mounts to come in. Don't get me wrong, he is TRYING to COVER UP his error. HOWEVER, that is a form of fraud. Then to write us a check and say to cash it on Monday... then when we go to cash it, it bounces... and then the teller tells us there is no money in the account..... FRAUD AGAIN!
This was just a simple warning to anyone on here who MIGHT use this Taxi, Log Cabin Taxidermy, that this is going on and the guy has no money to pay for it. There was no agreement or sheet that said that he is not liable for damages or loss. This guy lives on the property that his taxidermy shop is on. As a matter of fact it is about 25 yards from his house. He was home when this outage happened. I am sorry but I have every right as a customer to be angry about this.

I get that this can and does happen, and if it had happened to any one that has commented on this thread they would have posted the same thing.

I don’t have a problem getting another fox this year, or my husband getting another deer. It is all about how the guy went around covering up the whole thing. Grow a pair and fess up to your mistakes! That's all I ask. If the taxi can't handle the customer getting angry then he is in the wrong business..... Actually he clearly is in the wrong business since he clearly didn’t have insurance to cover any losses.

I have every right to come on here and share my experience with a Taxi just like everyone else who comes on here and shares an experience with an outfitter.

So THANKS!

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: MossyOakChick2010] #2437029 07/18/11 04:47 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
By the way if you call he says he is out of business.

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: BMD] #2437034 07/18/11 04:48 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Also not saying you shouldn't be upset, just life is too short and tried to give you a solution not complaining about you posting it might have saved someone else some grief up

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: MossyOakChick2010] #2437057 07/18/11 05:00 PM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Actually they are not that common, most people over exaggerate the size of their deer among other things!

Actually they ARE that common. The way taxidermists measure deer are an eye to nose measurement, a measurement tight around the neck just below the head and another about 2" down from that. The deer in the pic my be 21 around the swell but not directly under the head.

What I'm saying is a cape the size of your deer is easy to find and not too terribly special.

I would definitely call the Game Warden and report it to them. I'm sure they will make the taxidermist fix your problem, please report the results here.

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: BMD] #2437062 07/18/11 05:00 PM
Q
Quackwacker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
This thread has gone full on retard.

Re: Taxidermy Nightmare! [Re: BMD] #2437075 07/18/11 05:05 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Come one guys, clearly the taxi is in the wrong. It is not hard to monitor your freezers to make sure they don't go out. You can have thermometers installed, and you can be alerted if one fails. If that is the case, you run and get some dry ice, pack your freezers, then go buy some new ones and get them up and running.

If for some reason you can't save the capes, you call your customers and explain the situation. You offer to replace the cape, if it isn't possible, you offer a refund and pay to have the cape replaced.

You can't say they are a dime a dozen. Not everyone has the opportunity to shoot foxes all the time. Heck, I don't want someone else's cape put on my buck. It is a different deer. I have never understood people that mix and match capes and antlers. I want the buck to look like it did when I shot it. Same with getting antlers fixed, I'm not for it.

The taxi screwed up, and you are bashing this lady for it. Imagine if you didn't have a whole trophy room full of animals, and they lost your first buck, you'd be pissed off for sure. There is a lot more sentimental meaning to these animals when you only have a few, than if you have a whole room of trophies.

TS has every right to be pissed. Too bad there is nothing to be done about the fox. You'll just have to go shoot another one. Hopefully this is a lesson to use a trusted taxidermist. I believe my taxidermist lives on site. That way if his freezers go out, he can get it taken care of.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide