Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: CHL Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2432734 07/16/11 05:08 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Have they really dropped the requalification with a weapon? Wow.

Re: CHL Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2432756 07/16/11 05:17 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I renewed my CHL last thursday and had to requalify. They dropped the scoring though, its pass or fail now.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: CHL Question [Re: Mfloski] #2432779 07/16/11 05:33 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Mfloski
Are you saying that regardless if I show my chl when an officer runs my livence it tells him inhave a chl? I don't ALWAYS have my gun with me and wouldn't show it if I got pulled over in that case....but do you think it would be best to show it and tell them you aren't currently carrying?

Yeah when we run your DL it will also advise if you have a CHL

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: CHL Question [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #2432785 07/16/11 05:36 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kwrhuntinglab
It is always a nice courtesy not just to hand the CHL to the officer, but to let them know that yes you have a weapon and the location of the weapon...

Merely showing the CHL doesn't let them know you are carrying.

Anytime I am pulled over, as a courtesy I let the officer know exactly what I am carrying and where it is......

Now I will say that DPS handles the situation ALOT better than your normal City cops......

Yeah but if I remember correct, you starting reaching for it when he kept ordering you to leave it where it was. His 45 on the side of your fat melon stopped that pretty quick though

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: CHL Question [Re: Varget 7-08] #2432941 07/16/11 07:12 PM
C
Couzin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:
The officer became very upset that she did not immediately tell her that she had a weapon in the car.

What was she supposed to do - lean out the window and shout "I have a gun!!" Police sometimes have a bad day - I reckon this was his day and unfortunately your friend caught it. She did correctly - don't fret it.

Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.
Re: CHL Question [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2432961 07/16/11 07:29 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies
I renewed my CHL last thursday and had to requalify. They dropped the scoring though, its pass or fail now.

That's what I remembered.

Re: CHL Question [Re: DSmith] #2432997 07/16/11 07:57 PM
B
Boyd1212 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: DSmith271
Well if you want to carry a weapon all the time I think you should be required to demonstrate the same profieciency with that weapon as LEO and Military. Because if you have to use that weapon it sure be a shame for a shot to go wide and hit an innocent by stander. IMO only prior service military in addition to LE should be allowed to carry concealed in the first place.
I know some guys in the military and don't think they should be allowed carry a pocket knife much less a gun. So don't think just because there military that there superior to everyone else. I appreciative everything they are doing for the country, but think your views are ridiculous.

Re: CHL Question [Re: 7mag] #2433012 07/16/11 08:06 PM
DSP56 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Originally Posted By: kwrhuntinglab
It is always a nice courtesy not just to hand the CHL to the officer, but to let them know that yes you have a weapon and the location of the weapon...

Merely showing the CHL doesn't let them know you are carrying.

Anytime I am pulled over, as a courtesy I let the officer know exactly what I am carrying and where it is......

Now I will say that DPS handles the situation ALOT better than your normal City cops......

Yeah but if I remember correct, you starting reaching for it when he kept ordering you to leave it where it was. His 45 on the side of your fat melon stopped that pretty quick though

popcorn

If I had a big horse pistol like that , I would'nt be scared of no Booger Man! - Rooster Cogburn
Re: CHL Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2433053 07/16/11 08:27 PM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Have they really dropped the requalification with a weapon? Wow.

I just did my 4th renewal online. I did not have to take the course, shoot, send pictures or prints, just send money. 6 weeks later I got my new license in the mail, it expires in 2016.

Here is the latest on renewals...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlfaqs.htm
37. My license is about to expire and I heard that I don’t have to take a renewal course; is this true?

In certain circumstances, a person may be exempt from taking a renewal course. If you have been continuously licensed for three (3) renewal periods, you may contact the Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau to see if you are exempt from attending a renewal course.

However, if you are exempt from a renewal course, the next time your license is up for renewal you would be required to take a renewal course.

The law change was designed to allow those long time license holders to only need to take the class every ten years. But it is important to remember that you are still responsible for keeping current with any changes in the law.

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: CHL Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2433173 07/16/11 09:30 PM
C
Canazes9 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
And requalifying should be a rquirement, and with the exact weapon..... unless it's changed recently, you can qual with a 380 auto, and carry a 500S&W.......

Come on Vernon, really? I've got 4 different handguns that I use for everyday carry, should I have to qualify with all 4? What about if change my LCP out for Keltec 3AT should I have to requalify? I didn't own my Springfield XDSC when I qualified, should I be forced to requalify?

I for one am glad the nanny state isn't telling me (or any of my other fellow citizens) what they can or can't carry.

David

Re: CHL Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2433215 07/16/11 09:54 PM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

And requalifying should be a rquirement, and with the exact weapon..... unless it's changed recently, you can qual with a 380 auto, and carry a 500S&W.......

Yeah, but you can't qualify with a 500S&W and carry a .380 Auto. confused2 slinger

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: CHL Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2434084 07/17/11 05:03 AM
B
BOWEN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
When I have been stopped I have both my d.l. and c.h.l. in my hand (with my hands on the steering wheel with the window down)when the officer comes up to my truck. If it is night, I turn on the inside light. Every time I have been stopped the officer has been very professional and very friendly. They have always asked me if I was carrying and where it was. They have never asked to see it. I did have one tell me if I didn't draw he wouldn't, and we both laughed. Like some have said, their job has to be tough, always have to be prepared for the worse. Alot of idiots out there.

Re: CHL Question [Re: BOWEN] #2437209 07/18/11 06:03 PM
D
DSmith Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
My point was the fact that the qualification standards aren't high enough. I agree CHL help protect people and so far have done a good job of it, all I'm saying is there is room for improvement on the shooting standards and the need to requalify.

Going along with that LEO have to qualify at least 1 time a year(depending on department may be more) as well as military(at least the Marine Corps does), they may not shoot the best but they are required to shoot every year and meet standards. Can't say that for CHL holders. But is it realistic to have every CHL holder qualify every year? I'd say no just for the number of people who have them. But it would be something to strive for.

They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall REAP the same! Job 4:8

OHRAH! Its a Marine thing.

Re: CHL Question [Re: DSmith] #2439239 07/19/11 01:12 PM
C
Canazes9 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
And I'm saying that civilian CHL carry has nothing to do with LEO duties. Civilian CHL are defending their own lives - there is no requirement (or ability) to enforce the laws as a LEO, the requirements are different.

I believe the requirement to have a CHL is an infringement on the 2nd amendment (right to BEAR arms....). The standards are loose enough now that people like my 74 year old father can still pass relatively easily. I have no desire to make the standard any more difficult.

We'll agree to disagree - I'm glad the legislature doesn't see it your way.

David

Re: CHL Question [Re: Canazes9] #2439826 07/19/11 05:49 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I have been pulled over 2 times since having my CHL, both times I had my pistol on me.
First time I was on the way to the lease and was in Downtown Dallas pulled over by a constable. I handed my license, CHL, and Insurance. He asked if I had a gun and where. Told him my pistol was on the seat under the bag, a deer rifle in the back, 22 in the other case, and AR in the other seat. He walked back and came back with a warning.
Second time was a Trooper. Handed him the same info, he asked me where it was. I told him my backpack and he had me exit the car and stand on the shoulder. Came back with a ticket for me....

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: CHL Question [Re: dieselgeek] #2538700 08/27/11 07:27 PM
J
Jack79 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Wow, lots on this post.

Yes, I would say she did fine. I have been pulled over a number of times since gettingmy CHL and always do as some here have stated. Put BOTH hands out the window, TXDL & CHL (on top facing police officer) with them. I keep them there or on the steering wheel during the entire traffic stop. I have been told before that is was okay to remove them but I do it for officers piece of mind (their job is hard enough, they dont need me adding any tension to it). I have been disarmed once (tiny, overbearing local jurisdiction known for that kind of thing) but other than that all officers were very polite and professional. Kept me from getting a few tickets too smile

As to only ex-military or LEO's carry. Thats ridiculous! Falls back to the same flawed logic that only LEO's should carry. I cant depend on them to be there when I need it. So I dont.

I'll qualify as often as they want but I also switch my carry guns depending on the whether, dress, etc so qualifying with my exact carry gun maybe not. I agree that the standard is low but as someone else stated it is done so for a reason so that those with health issues, etc can get a CHL, which I agree with.

Great post and good question.

Re: CHL Question [Re: DSmith] #2538811 08/27/11 08:34 PM
G
Gus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: DSmith271
IMO only prior service military in addition to LE should be allowed to carry concealed in the first place.

Heck let's just start wadding up the Constitution like the 2nd Amendment and throw it out the window.

Absolutley sad, no other words for it...

�Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.�

Credited to Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Re: CHL Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2539037 08/27/11 10:40 PM
H
Hog killer1009 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
x2

Re: CHL Question [Re: Hog killer1009] #2539094 08/27/11 11:08 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
So what if I have pistol in the car, but I'm not CHL licensed? The pistol is hidden from view and not on my person? Am I required to state I have a weapon in the car without being asked? No right? So I have more effective rights than a CHL holder at that point, it makes little sense to me. The CHL holder should only have to let the officer know if a weapon is on their person or they are specifically asked if there is a weapon in the car.

What if I am CHL, but I have no weapon in the car; am I required to let the officer know I am CHL licensed?

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: CHL Question [Re: Gravytrain] #2539324 08/28/11 12:53 AM
S
Spartacus100 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
if you have a CHL but are not carrying, i do not believe you are required to show your CHL. Having said that, i think its always best to present your DL and CHL anytime you are stopped by the police. Thats my feeling at least. As a CHL holder, i have nothing to hide so i am not afraid of showing my license. i dont know about carrying in the car without a CHL but again, i think its best to let the office know you have it. If you are not doing anything "wrong" you should have nothing to worry about. again, just my thoughts.

Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

"Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." -Andrew Fletcher, 1698
Re: CHL Question [Re: Alan D] #2539511 08/28/11 01:57 AM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Alan D
For all of those who want to cop bash try walking up on a tinted out car in the middle of the night not knowing what is on the other side of the glass. See how that feels. Go in to every stop prepared for the worst, are you getting an idea of the mindset now?

I've had a trooper pull me over and I lowered all my windows and kept my hands on the steering wheel. He still had his hand on his gun ready to draw when he approached. Do I make fun of him or do I think there's a guy who is prepared for the worst and relieved when he finds a good person behind the wheel.

food for thought....

Alan D hit the nail on the head with this post. We are ingrained from the first day of the academy to always stay tactically minded. There is NO SUCH THING AS A ROUTINE TRAFFIC STOP. I treat every stop the same way until I make contact with the driver. My approach is the same, same contact, same information required from driver, I explain the reason for the contact and we go from there.

As for as the original post, if all the facts where presented in it, the cop was completely wrong (IMO) for the actions he took. Many people have CHLs, they are great. 9 stops out of 10 I don't even bother asking to see there weapon. Ever so often I will have to ask someone to exit there vehicle and stand in front of my car while I write a citation or use the radio. (No, I don't have any back up to watch them. I work alone for most of my shift. That's just the way it is in a small city.)

That mind set will stay with me. I was trained that way and I made a promise to my wife that whatever it takes I will come home in the morning. I don't mean to cause anyone any inconvenience, but I am going to do what it takes to keep me safe.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide