Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Information On Blue Lacy's #2379562 06/20/11 03:38 PM
jim1961 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I am considering getting a Blue Lacy and have researched them on numerous sites. I just want some info from people that have experience with them. I want to train her to do blood trails and possibly some scent trail work. I have mostly had GSPs and theycgan be overly hyper but are great dogs. Will a Lacy get along with smaller dogs and how do they do in the house? I understand they are somewhat timid, do they work with an E collar ok and what about any hand signals. Thanks

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: jim1961] #2386731 06/23/11 08:53 PM
H
huck18 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Jim,

I just thought I would share the little bit of info I have seeing as how 60 some odd people viewed this and not one had anything to say. I have a friend who has two blue lacy's. I cannot speak to their nose and trailing abilities they seem to be fine dogs, my friends do stay in the house from time to time. They are great pets. Just wondering why did you decide on the Blue Lacy? They are cattle dogs more so than hunting dogs. That being said all dogs have great noses compared to humans, they may be up for the task your wanting them do but I have never heard of them being used for this type of work. I think a Lab would be more suited for what you want, as they are calm(if you get the right bloodlines), they have great scent and trailing skills and get along with other dogs and kids. You can use the e-collar and they will take hand signals if trained properly to do so. I'm not saying that a Blue Lacy cant do those things but if you are really wanting a dog to do that type of work I think there are many other breeds that are better suited for it.

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: huck18] #2387110 06/24/11 12:07 AM
jim1961 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Thanks for the reply Huck. I do not want the dog for hunting other than just to go with me. I do want to train it to aid in finding wounded animals. Based on what I have read about their sense of smell being extremely keen, I though I may be able to use them on scent trails for suspects in LE work. I may be trying to get too much from one breed. I fell in love with the breed when I finally got to see one. Again, thanks

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: jim1961] #2388309 06/24/11 04:31 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Lacys were originally bred for stock dogs and we had a few back as early as the 60s that we used in South Texas for gathering wild cattle. We ended up crossing them with Catahoula type dogs and making them a little tougher and grittier. While there are some Lacy dogs that make good blood trailers, I like more nose. Labs have the same problem with a shortage of olfactory senses but do tend to be more patient and handle better than the Lacys. Patience is a most important characteristic of a blood trailing dog.
Another thing that you will find out is that the Lacy breeders have done an excellent job of promoting their breed and demand a high price for pups. There is a top breeder here in Menard that uses them on hogs but for the most part, they ride around in his pickup and look good.
I think a guy just needs to decide what he really want and expects from a dog. Do you really want a dog that you expect to take a day old blood trail and go a mile or three, jump the deer and catch it or bay it until you can get to him. Or do you want a pet and companion? I agree with huck18 that a Lab might be a better choice if you want the dog for blood trailing simply because he is more patient.
Good luck with whatever choice you make, what's not to like about a dog?
Adios,
Gary

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: gary roberson] #2388412 06/24/11 05:32 PM
jim1961 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Thanks Gary, good info!

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: jim1961] #2388915 06/24/11 09:40 PM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
If a lacy doesn't have a job or at least a lot of exercise they are going to be bouncing off the walls, and neither one of you will probably be happy. A lot that I have seen, and I have by no means seen them all, don't get along great with other dogs either. For what you are wanting I'd sure think twice about a lacy.

Stand up for your rights to own and hunt with dogs
Join the Lonestar Working Dog Association
www.lswda.org
Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: catchrcall] #2391596 06/26/11 05:06 PM
4K outdoors and taxidermy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Jim, catchrcall, nailed my sons lacy on the head, he is an excellent bloodtracker, but lately my son has been tied up at work and hasn't been able to take him or to work with him like he needs, with him being in the pen he's bouncing off the walls. He's a very good natured, willing to work ball of energy and needs to be doing something all the time. If you have the time to invest in exercise and work they are excellent dogs, if you're a part timer they are apt to develop bad habits and you'll be retraining every time you go out to work.

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: 4K outdoors and taxidermy] #2391949 06/26/11 09:22 PM
jim1961 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Thanks 4K!

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: jim1961] #2391978 06/26/11 09:42 PM
S
Stick 711 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: jim1961
Thanks 4K!

Jim, PM Bobby Buff, I think he has Lacys(maybe its catahoulas?) But I know he will have good input.

Phil

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: Stick 711] #2402128 07/01/11 01:52 PM
C
chicken Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I can't speak for all lacyes but I can tell you about mine. She found her first deer at 8 months old and she has found quite a few more since then.Now I did have to work with her a lot for about the first year but now i do nothing she knows when it's time to go hunting.As for as getting along with other dogs she doesnt.She is very pretective of me and my wife.I put a shock collar on her a couple months ago because when we walked her and she would see another dog it was all I could do to hold her.That solved that problem,she want even bark at another dog when we walk.Now as far as staying in the house she's in it when were there.I have left her in the house all day by her self and she hasn't made a mess since she was a puppy.I'm actual thinking about breeding her so I can get another dog,because she has became my wifes dog more than mine.

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: chicken] #2404827 07/03/11 01:58 AM
M
MeatDog Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I have three lacy dogs. They responded well to the collar, it didn't take much. They will learn whatever you want them too from trailing to retrieving. Two of mine hunt hogs, the other is six weeks old. They are great family dogs as well as cow dogs. Mine are super sweet. No aggression whatsoever (except the hogs of course!) my dogs are quiet and very chilled. They hunt roughly twice a week. I agree with those above who say the dog needs exercise or a job. I would evaluate yourself as a trainer. Are you heavy handed? IMO Lacy dogs can be timid and don't respond well to a rough owner. Best of luck!

Choose a dog out of working stock if they'll let you, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

www.oakgrovegundogs.com

Basic Obedience, Kennel, Quality Retrievers and Hog Dogs
Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: MeatDog] #2411018 07/06/11 09:02 PM
jim1961 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Thanks for the input guys

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: jim1961] #2424689 07/13/11 03:57 AM
F
fishhound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I've been around Lacys some. They are pretty good dogs alot of people use them for hog hunting as well as cattle work. They do very well on blood trails as well but like any breed some are better than others.

I had a bloodhound/Catahoula cross that was the best all around dog that I've ever had. She was super gentle with the kids, very loyal and could pick up a trail that was 5 or 6 days old. She wasn't to hyper either. She kind of got the best of both worlds. A Lacy can tend to be a bit hyper. I'd seriously think about getting a bloodhound cross if you want something with a cold nose but not too hyper.

I will tell you that I'll never own a purebred bloodhound again. Awesom nose but that was the most stuborn dog I've ever owned.

Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: fishhound] #2427602 07/14/11 02:16 PM
W
wetline89 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Jim,
I've had my Lacy, Bell, for 3 years now. Hands down the best dog i've ever had. They are natural born athletes, good at whatever you let them be good at! Bell, has tracked several deer and retrieves doves as good as any retriever i've seen. I trained her on voice and hand commands and she does extremely well with both. They do not respond well to loud/demanding commands. Start training ealry and use your normal voice and pronounce the commands firmly. I dont consider the breed hyper, because they are not meant to be left in a kennel or backyard. Most breeders wont even sell their pups unless the individual intends to "work" the dog.If you start them out around other dogs, they'll do fine. They tend to be protective and can be aggressive if you dont socialize them early. PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

[Linked Image]
Re: Information On Blue Lacy's [Re: wetline89] #2431862 07/16/11 03:06 AM
jim1961 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
thanks guys

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide