Print Thread
Smoked Jamaican Jerk Pork #2394606 06/27/11 11:46 PM
C
CDN Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C

Jerk pork and chicken is a unique flavor that I was first introduced to on my honeymoon to St. Lucia, many years ago. I love the spicy sweetness of Jerk Sauce, and I love smoked pork. What a marriage of wonderful flavors! Here's a really simple version that you can do all the way back here in the good old U.S. of A.

What you'll need:

Simple Jamaican Rub:

6 tbs onion powder

6 tbs onion flakes

2 tbs ground allspice

2 tbs black pepper

2 tbs cayenne or ground red pepper

2 tbs white sugar

4 1/2 tsp dried thyme

4 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Jamaican Jerk Sauce

1/2 cup ground allspice
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 - 8 garlic cloves
4 - 6 Scotch Bonnet Peppers (or equivalent) seeds and all , or substitute with jalapeno peppers
1 tbs ground thyme, or 2 tbs thyme leaves
2 bunches green onions
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbs soy sauce
Put everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you would like to try an excellent store bought jerk sauce, World Harbors makes an excellent sauce that we buy locally at Kroger.

Smoked Pork

1 medium pork tenderloin (you can also use Boston Butt or pork shoulder, however cooking times will increase)

Wood chunks of choice, preferably hickory, oak, pecan or apple, or combination of these

Here we go:

Rub the pork tenderloin with the jerk rub the day before you plan to cook. Place it in a pan, cover it and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, start you grill or smoker and get the temp up to around 250 degrees. I did this cook on a Weber Kettle, so for me that meant a half chimney of charcoal that i dumped in the grill when it was half burning. I banked it on one side and added a hickory chunk and a white oak chunk. I placed a aluminum pan with water in it on the charcoal grate under the area where the pork would be, and one directly over the coals. This helps to dissipate the heat and keep it more even for the duration of the cook. Once the wood has started to burn down a little, check the temp and if you are close to 250, go ahead and put your pork on, fat side up to help baste the meat as it cooks. Place it on the side opposite the coals and close the lid, situating the vent over top of the meat so as to draw the smoke over the meat. Of course, you can smoke the pork on whatever cooker you have or want to use, such as a water smoker, offset or Big Green Egg. The idea is to cook it at 250 degrees, so adjust you fire maintenance method accordingly for your cooker.

Let the pork cook without peeking and opening the lid. I used a 4 pound pork tenderloin and took it to 170 degrees internal, which took just shy of two hours at 250-275 degrees. If you choose to use another cut, like a shoulder or Boston butt, you want to go to at least 190 degress, and 200 is even better. But it will take a considerably longer time than the tenderloin.

When you've reached your target temp, bring it off the grill and chop or pull the meat into fine chunks. For the tenderloin that I did, I started by slicing it, then used a meat cleaver to chop into smaller chunks. It came out perfect, nice and juicy with a faint smoke ring.

Pour your Jamaican jerk sauce all over the meat and serve on a bed of rice and some fried plantains. Perhaps a little sliced kiwi fruit for garnish. YA MON!!

Re: Smoked Jamaican Jerk Pork [Re: CDN] #2394947 06/28/11 02:02 AM
R
retfuz Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I use a jerk sauce recipe very similar to your. It comes out a funky olive green color, but it's so good I sip it straight. It's really hot, tho-

Re: Smoked Jamaican Jerk Pork [Re: retfuz] #2395923 06/28/11 03:57 PM
B
BUnityBears Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I just got back from St. Lucia and loved the Jerk Pork there. I will be making this for sure.

Re: Smoked Jamaican Jerk Pork [Re: BUnityBears] #2397084 06/29/11 02:08 AM
W
welder05 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
That looks great. How do you do the chicken?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide