Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
Well I had posted about my bad experience with

McKinney GUN & Knife Supply in Mckinney Texas

Here is a link to original post, to catch you up on things
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2295230/1

Well picking up from the last post on that thread(May 12th) I was given 3 options by the "Gunsmith" that screwed up my rifle and getting it back packed in dirty grease that had metal filings in it, and being charge $65 instead of the qouted $45.

These pics were taken April 26th the day I picked it up, keep in mind that I cleaned it inside(barrel) and out(took off stock and wiped with oil) before I took it in.

The worst part was if you put the rifle on safe and pulled the trigger it would go off, put it on half safe and it would go off also when you pull the trigger. NOT GOOD!!!

And if you look close you can see rust start to form!

After denying wrong doing(the owner) he spoke with some of his more reasonable employees and I was given these options

1. He would buy me a new gun(no way I shot my first deer with this rifle!)
2. He would ship it back to ruger(because they refused to ship him parts) Then he would ship it to Timney and have then install the trigger.
3.Pick up my rifle and get it fixed on my own dime.

I went with option 2 and at this time they had already had my rifle for 1month.What the next month was spent with me calling them once a week to see if they had shipped my rifle and asking them to provide me with a tracking number when they did.

Not once during this time did they call me and provide me with a tracking number or call me to keep me posted...Until I called them and told them I wanted a tracking number or prove they still had my rifle or I was going to file a criminal complaint.

This resulted in the First time in 2 months that I receieved a return phone call from them after my rifle had been shipped twice, and they finally produced a Tracking number.

I had to make 3 phone calls to his shop because I had contacted Timney and explanied the situation and to keep me in touch.

Timney had the rifle ready to ship out within hours of getting it but couldnt ship it out because Mckinney gun and knife supply hadnt paid for the work and when they called for payment one of the shop employees told them "Nows not a good time we'll call you back" Which they didnt until I called them and asked if I needed to pay for it my self.

So the work gets paid for and the rifle is shipped back and I get a call that my rifle is ready to pick up.

I walk in and one of the employees hands me a 1/2page of legal writing which after reading is a RELEASE OF LIABILITY for the shop! I calmly explained that I would not be signing anything until the gun had been checked by a compotent gunsmith...

At this time one of the employees chimes in "Then your not getting your money back!"

I pick up my rifle and put it on safety and pull the trigger it doesnt go off...GOOD NEWS!

I move it to Half safe and pull the trigger ...It doesnt go off GREAT NEWS!!

I push the safety to fire CLICK!!!! it goes off

I imediately call Timney and talk to the very smith that worked on my gun and he said " I check for that before it left the shop, maybe something came out of adjustment in shipping. We well pay for shipping both ways send it back we will take care of it."

I told the Timney tech that it maybe some other part that was altered given the amount of grease and metal filings found on the bolt and in the action when I picked it up, is there any ready the bolt would need to be worked on?

Timeny tech says "ABSOLUTELY NOT" send it back we are sorry and will take care of it bottom line.

At this time i can hear the owner yelling over a cell phone that one of the employees had called him on, he then proceeded to tell me.

1. "That the gun was covered in grease and dirt when I brought it in"...LIE i cleaned it inside and out before bringing it in.

2. That I brought in a defective gun in the first place and that I was trying to con him!

First of all if he hadnt screwed up my gun he wouldnt have offered to buy me a new one.

Secondly If i was trying to con him i could have taken the free rifle and gone down the road scott free!

So we both exchange some profanities back and forth over the speaker phone.

I will admit at least 2 faults of my own in this entire case
1. I drop the F-BOMB several times in his shop on my last visit, I just flat out lost my temper in another persons business with other customers present.
2. I should have taken others advice and picked up my rifle after he screwed it up.

I get it home and take the stock off it and was suprised to find that some one HAD TAKEN A DRIMEL TOOL TO THE INSIDE OF MY STOCK!!!

I spoke with timney about this and they said
"We never use drimel tools, any fitting we do is so minor we simply dont need them, and further more there is NO REASON to modify the stock in any way to make the trigger fit."

Which makes sence because the reason my rifle was screwed up in the first place was that some one there had ground down to much of the safety....which a drimel tool would do REALLY REALLY quickly!

You can also see in the stock pictures there is rust particles rubbed off on the stock, and there is rust forming around the trigger area under the stock.

Here are pics after Timeny took the time to wipe it down with oil.

I think some sort of solvent was used that may have started it, after all the rest of the rifle is rust free except for the tigger area.

I dont blame Ruger or Timney because they had it for a couple of days each....Mckinney gun and Knife supply had it for over 2 months for a job they said would be 2 weeks.

After looking at the trigger with the stock off I think its just simply out of adjust ment from shipping or possibly them trying to get it back to me for a hunt I went on this weekend.(no I didnt use this rifle)

Either way Timney has been TOP NOTCH PROFESIONAL and very helpfull, even if the last issue may be there fault.

Bottom line my rifle would never have had to be shipped across the country TWICE if they had not taken the wrong tool and done a hack job and even modified parts of the gun that didnt need to be touched.

Sorry for the long read but these are the facts, I debated weather or not I should post this. But if some one picked up this rifle and took it hunting with out testing....Some body may have been hurt or killed.

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: deewayne2003] #2395141 06/28/11 03:00 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Wow!

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: BMD] #2395145 06/28/11 03:01 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Just speechless on this one.

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: deewayne2003] #2395170 06/28/11 03:09 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: deewayne2003

Sorry for the long read but these are the facts, I debated weather or not I should post this.

As long as its the truth then there is no need to appologize. We need to hear about these things so we can make informed decisions in the future.

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: BMD] #2395171 06/28/11 03:09 AM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
eeks333 WOW!!!!

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2395189 06/28/11 03:17 AM
H
hoss77 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
thanks for giving a heads up.

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2395237 06/28/11 03:41 AM
J
jkmccoy11 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I took a 1911 frame there to have the plunger tube staked, the stake job was better than factory however they left 2 huge scratch marks on the brand new wilson combat plunger tube. They did however replace the spring and plunger which I didn't ask them to do. I asked about the scratches on the plunger tube and "surprise" nobody knew anything about them. Also there was what appeared to be pink wheel bearing grease underneath the saftey... WTF.

Last edited by jkmccoy11; 06/28/11 03:43 AM.

McCoy
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: jkmccoy11] #2395305 06/28/11 04:28 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Thanks for the heads up, I know one place I will not be taking any work to

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: kmon11] #2395365 06/28/11 06:04 AM
B
blancobuster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
that is messed up man. WOW talk about a-holes.

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: blancobuster] #2395377 06/28/11 06:19 AM
J
justwes Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I try to do as much work as I can myself on certain guns as to avoid incidents like this, too many dishonest people now a days

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: justwes] #2395600 06/28/11 01:24 PM
S
slayden457 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
unreal! Thanks for the heads up

POW/MIA Bring Them Home Or Send Us Back!
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: justwes] #2395607 06/28/11 01:27 PM
F
fastliberator Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Man I feel for you. Thanks for the heads up, not that I would travel that far to use them, but others who live in the area might. You could have just saved one of us fellow THF guys a lot of headaaches.

Those of you who do not stand behind our millitary, please stand in front of it!!!
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: justwes] #2395610 06/28/11 01:30 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That sucks. I won't be going back there.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: blancobuster] #2396812 06/29/11 12:02 AM
D
deewayne2003 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
that is messed up man. WOW talk about a-holes.

Yeah there have been several random acts incompetence, such as...

1.Calling me up and saying "Hello we have ordered your new spring for your dakota rifle and just wanted to let you know its been taken care of."

....I dont own a Dakota rifle!, but at this point they had my rifle for over a month and a half

2. The owners son told me that "The entire reason it got screwed up was that you brought in the wrong trigger, so my dad says its your fault"

...Thats a lie because i checked Timenys website and have the Midwayusa.com receipt to prove that I bought the right model.

3. They let another week go by because they didnt want to pay retail for the replacement trigger to timney so they ordered it wholesale while on back order!

Last edited by deewayne2003; 06/29/11 12:02 AM.
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: deewayne2003] #2396819 06/29/11 12:06 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

1.Calling me up and saying "Hello we have ordered your new spring for your dakota rifle and just wanted to let you know its been taken care of."

....I dont own a Dakota rifle!, but at this point they had my rifle for over a month and a half

You should have told them you were on your way to pick up your Dakota rifle from them! Dem thangs EXPENSIVE!!!

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: JCB] #2397140 06/29/11 02:30 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: JCB

You should have told them you were on your way to pick up your Dakota rifle from them! Dem thangs EXPENSIVE!!!

rofl

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: BMD] #2397237 06/29/11 03:08 AM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Wow Man sorry you had to go through this, just know not all Dealers or Smiths are like that.

Certified Glock Armorer - Because my Sig Sauers Don't Fail.
"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: JCB] #2397300 06/29/11 03:32 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: JCB

up

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: Varget 7-08] #2397327 06/29/11 03:45 AM
R
Rebel. Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Wow, that's not a good deal at all. Hope your issues get resolved!

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: Rebel.] #2398303 06/29/11 06:44 PM
K
Kory Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
K
I can assure you that there is not a person on here that takes better care of their rifels than Davin. (Deewayne2003). He has been a very good friend of mine for years. Every time he comes to my house, he gets in my safe, gives a cussin about how dirts some of my guns are, then for the next two or three hours he sits and cleans my guns yelling at me the whole time. I will say that he handled the situation a lot better than i would have. I have got a temper and it would have ended with the shop owner missing some teeth and me in jail.

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: Kory] #2398357 06/29/11 07:01 PM
F
fastliberator Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Kory
I can assure you that there is not a person on here that takes better care of their rifels than Davin. (Deewayne2003). He has been a very good friend of mine for years. Every time he comes to my house, he gets in my safe, gives a cussin about how dirts some of my guns are, then for the next two or three hours he sits and cleans my guns yelling at me the whole time. I will say that he handled the situation a lot better than i would have. I have got a temper and it would have ended with the shop owner missing some teeth and me in jail.

Me too! Kudos to handling the situation better than me!

Those of you who do not stand behind our millitary, please stand in front of it!!!
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: fastliberator] #2399047 06/30/11 12:23 AM
D
deewayne2003 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: fastliberator
Originally Posted By: Kory

Me too! Kudos to handling the situation better than me!

Well thank GOD he wasnt there, he was only on speaker phone....Infact other than screwing up my gun and dodgeing my calls he let his employees handle the rest of dealing with me.

ON that note he has 2 employees named DOUG both of which are great people who sounded like they knew what kind of "smith" they were working for and were very helpful and professional.

The shop owner and his son....NOT SO MUCH!!!

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: deewayne2003] #2399105 06/30/11 12:48 AM
T
Texsun Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Read through both threads again and I still can't find why they needed to file anything.

Sig Sauer P229 Elite, P226 Elite, SP2022
S&W Model 3
Win. Model 70's: 220 Swift, 270, 30.06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H
Savage Model 99 250-3000
Colt 6920
Ruger 10-22
Swedish and Chilean Mausers
Browning Citori White Lightning
Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: Texsun] #2399165 06/30/11 01:20 AM
D
deewayne2003 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Texsun
Read through both threads again and I still can't find why they needed to file anything.

The safety of a Ruger M77KII MAY need .002" of metal removal for clearance...Thats 2-1,000th inch

And for that they used a drimel tool and a enought grease to lube a tractor!

Re: My HORRIBLE experience with a BAD "Gunsmith"-BEWARE [Re: deewayne2003] #2404618 07/02/11 11:24 PM
D
deewayne2003 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
ttt

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide