Page 1 of 2 1 2
Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions #2371148 06/15/11 07:21 PM
D
Dorf Goes Fishin' Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Long time lurker, first time poster (other than "PM sent"). I'm in the market for a home defense semi-auto shotgun, but not sure what to buy. Looking at a budget of about $300, and prefer a synthetic 12 gauge. The gun doesn't need to be pretty...don't really care what intruders think of it's styling. Shotgun needs to be semi-auto so all my wife has to do is point, shoot, repeat. Are there any shotguns that meet the above specifications, and are there any other criterion that should be taken into consideration when purchasing a HD shotgun?

Other pertinent info:
Wife not a gun person
Two small kids that sleep in separate rooms (ages 6 & 2)
Longest shot in house is about 25 feet
I have handgun for use when I'm at home...shotgun will be for use by my wife when I'm out of town (wife not comfortable with handgun operation)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jeff

Last edited by Dorf Goes Fishin'; 06/15/11 07:31 PM. Reason: additional info added
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Dorf Goes Fishin'] #2371178 06/15/11 07:41 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I would consider a 20ga for your wife
20ga is VERY effective and not nearly the recoil of a 12

Mossberg, Remginton etc..

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: ccoker] #2371440 06/15/11 10:44 PM
O
old engineer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
In addition to the shotgun you want to consider the shot size you use. You mentioned you have kids so you do not want a shot size that will go through walls if the kids room is next room over.I hope someone with more knowledge on this that is on the forrum chimes in on the best shot size to use in this case.

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: old engineer] #2371451 06/15/11 10:50 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
bird shot in the face would be enough of a deterrent.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: MS1454] #2371489 06/15/11 11:15 PM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder
Originally Posted By: MS1454
bird shot in the face would be enough of a deterrent.

Or piss them off enough to kill every one in the house. If you're going to pull the trigger on a person make sure you stop the threat.

To the OP, I'd look at the classified or pawn shops and get a used semi auto with in your budget. There's some quality guns that are beaten up some that will work fine if you look hard enough.

[Linked Image]
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Payne] #2371527 06/15/11 11:34 PM
V
Viking Armory Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
I actually have two different trade names and the other one is “The Pink Rifle” and we really focus on helping women find serious guns that work well for them. So here’s my two cents and a few thoughts to consider.

Handgun vs Shotgun: Many women are somewhat intimidated by handguns, especially semi-autos. But if you stop and compare something like a Springfield XD (very popular with women) to a semi-auto shotgun the XD is about the same maybe even simpler. You can store a loaded handgun in one of those pop open safes and have instant access and all that is left is point and shoot. A shotgun is much harder to store ready to use (and without losing that “decorative” feel in the room that is important to women) so at the very least she would have to get it out of wherever it is stored, chamber a round, turn off the safety then point and shoot.

But really before that if she’s not committed enough to learn how a gun operates is she really committed enough to learn how to shoot ANY gun, or to learn when to shoot, how to really fight with the gun if she needs to? Is she really going to be willing to pull it out and use it? It’s good that she’s at least starting to be interested in being able to defend the family when you’re not home but it sounds like she really needs to get her head to the next level. A good way to make her think through it is ask her something like “if somebody was pounding on the door about to break it down, what’s your plan?” Most people (not just women) have no clue but it makes them think.

Here’s another thing to consider. Just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean she’s going to get smaller thugs right? So why have smaller guns? Yes being able to shoot accurately is important but if she has her head right and has the right commitment to learn then she should be able to learn how to shoot a properly sized shotgun or handgun effectively. A few weeks ago I sold a (Pink) Taurus 24/7 in 40S&W to a 5’0” 97lb woman. If she can handle it I’m sure just about any woman can.

But back to your original question, and I’ll assume that she has the right dedication to learn  For the budget I would really consider something like a Remington 870. It’s not a semi-auto but it’s a high quality shotgun and the pump sound does have a lot of deterrent value. If you’re budget is flexible the shotgun sitting next to my wife’s side of the bed is a Beretta Tx4 which is awesome for home defense. The gas system does a great job of absorbing recoil (it’s the same one in that youtube video where the guy is shooting a Beretta one handed) They run at least $1,100 but they are worth it.

If handguns are an option at all the Springfield XD’s are very popular with women and I’ve also had good luck the 24/7. The M&P, XDM and Beretta Storms are also popular because they have several back strap options so she can find the one that fits her hand the best. The Walther PK380 is pretty popular too but it’s a 380 so I’d only kind of trust it with premium ammo.

Like I said we spend a lot of time with women at gun shows (sometimes we even sell to more women than men) so if you (or her) have any questions let me know. If she’s into pink take a look at http://www.thepinkrifle.com and we have a few she might like. The site is still in development but you can still see the pink stuff there.

www.viking-armory.com

Sales@viking-armory.com
The Colony, Texas
Thousands of products available online at CRAZY LOW markup!
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Viking Armory] #2371784 06/16/11 01:49 AM
A
Alan D Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A
Excellent response Viking. Too many people have a gun but not the mindset or a plan.

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Alan D] #2371834 06/16/11 02:13 AM
L
LuckenbachTexas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I assure you at 25 feet max, birdshot ain't going to piss them off. partyon555

Last edited by LuckenbachTexas; 06/16/11 02:13 AM.

"Love it or leave it"
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: LuckenbachTexas] #2371854 06/16/11 02:19 AM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder
Originally Posted By: LuckenbachTexas

Are you sure it will stop the threat?

[Linked Image]
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Payne] #2371917 06/16/11 02:45 AM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I agree with a semi for a woman. Unless they train with it, most will suck at pumping it and shooting it. In addition you can short stroke a pump. I would get a semi Mossberg and use reduced recoil loads. They cycled in mine I had just fine.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Payne] #2371966 06/16/11 03:08 AM
D
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Originally Posted By: old engineer
In addition to the shotgun you want to consider the shot size you use. You mentioned you have kids so you do not want a shot size that will go through walls if the kids room is next room over.I hope someone with more knowledge on this that is on the forrum chimes in on the best shot size to use in this case.

Originally Posted By: Payne
If you're going to pull the trigger on a person make sure you stop the threat.

Yeah, I've thought about the shot size quite a bit. I definitely want something that will undisputably stop the threat, but something that will do very little damage after passing through two sheets of drywall. I'm not sure there is a perfect shot size...some sacrifice may have to made. And if that's the case, then I'd err on the side of safety and go with a lighter shot and tell her to shoot more.

To the OP, I'd look at the classified or pawn shops and get a used semi auto with in your budget. There's some quality guns that are beaten up some that will work fine if you look hard enough.

That's a good idea Payne, hadn't really thought of that route. Might be worth it even if I have to modify the gun for home defense.

Originally Posted By: Viking Armory
But really before that if she’s not committed enough to learn how a gun operates is she really committed enough to learn how to shoot ANY gun, or to learn when to shoot, how to really fight with the gun if she needs to? Is she really going to be willing to pull it out and use it? It’s good that she’s at least starting to be interested in being able to defend the family when you’re not home but it sounds like she really needs to get her head to the next level. A good way to make her think through it is ask her something like “if somebody was pounding on the door about to break it down, what’s your plan?” Most people (not just women) have no clue but it makes them think.

First off, thanks so much for the detailed response. Getting the wife to agree to a shotgun was a big step...the handgun progression is going to take some time. I don't know why, but she has a serious phobia when it comes to handguns. And believe me, I've asked my wife the exact question about what she would do if someone was forcing their way into the house, and she has yet to provide me with an acceptable answer. That's the main reason she's agreed to learn how to operate a shotgun. The wife definitely likes pink stuff, I'll see what she thinks of what you have to offer. I kinda like the pink AR myself, maybe it can be "our" gun.

Thanks again for all the responses, and if anyone else has anything to add, please feel free!

Jeff

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Dorf Goes Fishin'] #2371984 06/16/11 03:20 AM
V
Viking Armory Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Originally Posted By: Dorf Goes Fishin'
I kinda like the pink AR myself, maybe it can be "our" gun.

Wow, that took some balls to say on here, I'll have to give you a special discount just for being that brave! smile

www.viking-armory.com

Sales@viking-armory.com
The Colony, Texas
Thousands of products available online at CRAZY LOW markup!
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2371985 06/16/11 03:21 AM
D
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies
I agree with a semi for a woman. Unless they train with it, most will suck at pumping it and shooting it. In addition you can short stroke a pump. I would get a semi Mossberg and use reduced recoil loads. They cycled in mine I had just fine.

The pump action is exactly why I'd want my wife to have a semi-auto...I want it to be as simple as possible. I know at low stress levels she'd probably have no problems with the pumping action, but in a stressful situation, I'm just not sure she'd be able to properly operate the action; and I don't really want to find out. In my mind, we'd have the shotgun in our safe (in our bedroom closet) with a shell in the chamber and the safety on. In a home defense situation, I'm thinking she'd open the safe (electronic code), grab the shotgun, disengage the safety and be ready to pull the trigger as many times as she needs...no pumping required.

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Viking Armory] #2371988 06/16/11 03:24 AM
D
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: Viking Armory
Originally Posted By: Dorf Goes Fishin'
I kinda like the pink AR myself, maybe it can be "our" gun.

Wow, that took some balls to say on here, I'll have to give you a special discount just for being that brave! smile

Uhh, I think my wife typed that while I was busy doing some manly stuff in the garage.

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Dorf Goes Fishin'] #2372380 06/16/11 01:55 PM
F
fastliberator Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
I use 7.5 shot for the first 2 rounds in my home defense shotgun. The other 6 are #4 buckshot.

And being hit in the face with 7.5 bird shot at 25 yards will take ALL the fight out of an individual!

Those of you who do not stand behind our millitary, please stand in front of it!!!
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: fastliberator] #2372543 06/16/11 03:18 PM
B
BigSexyCamo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Just my opinion, I had a Remington Tactical 1100 semiauto, I took it to a Combat Shotgun School, it did ok until we started doin heavy firing and reloading, the shell in the mag tube wouldnt seat properly and kept backing out into the action causing a jam, so I switched back to my 870. I also noticed another guy with a brand new Mossberg 930 SPX had the same problems, seemed like the autoloaders were not great under combat firing. I carry a pump action on patrol because to me it's more reliable. I keep my 870 12 gauge behind my bedroom door for my wife ( no kids at home) and have showed her countless times how to use it. The key with whatever weapon you chose to get make sure she is comfortable with it and knows how to use it.

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: BigSexyCamo] #2372700 06/16/11 04:30 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I have had an 1100 tactical hanging in the closet ready to roll for a few years, or so I thought

Took it out a few weeks ago, 3rd gets jammed
cleared, again, same thing happened

yikes

my wife has access to a M&P9C with 17rd mag and CT laser grips but she is not a shooter, never will be despite my best efforts

I am seriously thinking about moving over to an AR for a primary HD as with the right load they are actually less likely to go through multiple walls of buckshot and I don't trust birdshot to effectively eliminate the threat in short order

an AR is light, compact and very accurate with an Aimpoint on it
easy for a woman to shoot

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: BigSexyCamo] #2372715 06/16/11 04:36 PM
D
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: BigSexyCamo
The key with whatever weapon you chose to get make sure she is comfortable with it and knows how to use it.

Thanks for your response Big Sexy, and I completely agree with the above statement. The problem is...my wife has no desire to handle, operate, or fire a gun. If I could get her comfortable with handling and firing a gun, she could just use our handgun; but the problem is she doesn't want any part of it. I'm hoping if I can get something simple enough to where all she has to do is take it off safety, point in general direction, and fire, then she'll agree to use it in an emergency situation. Obviously, I hope that never happens, or only happens when I'm at home, but you never know. I have a feeling that if I could get her out shooting at random stuff (cactus, targets, etc...), then she'll warm-up to the idea; but just her agreeing to purchase a home defense shotgun was a huge step.

Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies
I would get a semi Mossberg and use reduced recoil loads. They cycled in mine I had just fine.

I checked out the Mossberg 930 Tactical and I think that would do the trick (although a bit out of my $300 price range). I especially like that the safety switch is on top of the receiver where it can be operated with the thumb. Of course, I'd have to label the safety with easy to see/read letters so the wife knows what position the safety is in...do they make glow-in-the-dark adhesive letters (maybe in pink wink )?

Last edited by Dorf Goes Fishin'; 06/16/11 05:39 PM.
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: ccoker] #2372736 06/16/11 04:45 PM
D
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: ccoker
I am seriously thinking about moving over to an AR for a primary HD as with the right load they are actually less likely to go through multiple walls of buckshot and I don't trust birdshot to effectively eliminate the threat in short order

an AR is light, compact and very accurate with an Aimpoint on it
easy for a woman to shoot

As much as I'd love an AR, I know the wife wouldn't touch it. Check out Viking Armory's site...he has a nice AR for sale (http://www.thepinkrifle.com) peep

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Dorf Goes Fishin'] #2372745 06/16/11 04:55 PM
B
BigSexyCamo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Dorf I completely understand, my wife was very apprehensive about shooting, she had a bad expierence in hunters ed in highschool and it took me forever to get her to shoot anything, she hates the shotgun however she knows its easy for her to operate, I also got her a keltec pf9 she even likes shooting my AR now and she loves my 1911's so just get her comfotable with them, be patient and persistent, but the key is patience.

Last edited by BigSexyCamo; 06/16/11 04:56 PM.
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Payne] #2372794 06/16/11 05:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: LuckenbachTexas

Are you sure it will stop the threat?

i killed a coyote with a 20 gauge with modified choke at 15 yards....it was not a good day for him.

my personal home defense gun is a 20 gauge coach gun with high brass #4's

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: BigSexyCamo] #2372801 06/16/11 05:36 PM
D
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: BigSexyCamo
Dorf I completely understand, my wife was very apprehensive about shooting, she had a bad expierence in hunters ed in highschool and it took me forever to get her to shoot anything, she hates the shotgun however she knows its easy for her to operate, I also got her a keltec pf9 she even likes shooting my AR now and she loves my 1911's so just get her comfotable with them, be patient and persistent, but the key is patience.

Thanks Big Sexy...sounds like you were once in my situation and it seemed to turn out ok for you. Good to know they can be persuaded...just not quickly!

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Dorf Goes Fishin'] #2372834 06/16/11 05:58 PM
B
BigSexyCamo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Yes they are a delicate creature not easily persuaded, but you can get them to realize that you won't always be there to protect them and that the police ain't always around the corner. She told me she was ok she had pepper spray, I told her that doesn't work on 10 percent of the population or people on PCP, however no one is immuned to a bullet. She couldn't argue with that logic, LOL.

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: BigSexyCamo] #2374436 06/17/11 04:52 PM
A
Adraper Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
A lot of us have been in this same boat, ie concerned about spouses safety more than the wife is. For the longest, my wife would not consider firearms as an option. In the mean time, I invested in better locks. I was in Gander Mnt yesterday looking defense shot guns. $300 is a tough price. Even the 870s were more than that. I use #4 buck in my current gun.

Re: Home Defense Semi-Auto Shotguns Opinions [Re: Adraper] #2374499 06/17/11 05:23 PM
K
KellyAsh Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
I'd saw off a $400 Baikal to 18 inches. It's a semi-auto 12 guage that is as reliable as any gas gun out there and it's dirt cheap, too.

And anything you shoot at 25 ft is going to stay within a 2 inch group and simply smash through the biggest human chest and reach vitals on a frontal shot without armor.

If the birdshot that Cheney hit that guy with from 30-40 yards away coud've reached his heart, how could anyone say it isn't going to happen at 8 yds away?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide