Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BrazosHunter] #237000 10/23/07 04:24 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My grandson's love to go to the lease and that's enough justification for me. It's not all about killing deer anymore to me. I've got nothing to prove to anyone by hunting so I feel no need to justify it either. Heck I might have already quit if it wasn't for the grandsons. I enjoy just being out in Gods' country more than I do killing a monster deer. Things like this seem to change as you get older.
The Mulie Buck in my sig line was killed because the grandsons were there to share the experience with me. Other than that he might just still be walking. I had him processed and gave most of the meat to friends.

MC

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: MikeC] #237001 10/23/07 08:04 PM
J
John2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I had to cut my earlier post short as i was running late for a dr appointment but here is the rest of the story.
Back in the times when i quit hunting i was the only one working and money was tight,yes i did hunt every year for dove and did my share of fishing when i could,but deer hunting just seemed too far fetched at that time.It was the same period of time that i lost the house we lived in and almost lost both vehicles,actually i sold one to pay off the other but at least we had transportation.I thought i had hit the bottom but that would come a little later.My wife finally decided it was time for her to go to work,which wasn't my idea,without going into any more of my life we made a life and it took both of us to do it but we can now enjoy without worry except for our health.We are both retired now so life is a little better for us.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: John2] #237002 10/23/07 08:13 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
you have 599 posts.

if your not a hunter, what do you talk about here on the THF?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: txtrophy85] #237003 10/23/07 10:13 PM
J
John2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
599 posts ?,i didn't realize i had that many as i'm just a casual poster.I do hunt birds except for this year and have hunted for a few years,this will be my 3rd year elk hunting even if they were high fence and talked about them a little,i have inquired about a few hunts on this forum for last years hunting and maybe i can find a rifle hunt for this year.Right now i'm nursing my left foot and taking it easy hoping in a week or two i can walk a few miles without them hurting like the dickens.In the meantime i need to find a rifle range to check my rifles.

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: John2] #237004 10/23/07 11:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
one day you will be a old man, and look back on your life and all your memories. not everything has to make finacial sense (though more people should pay attention to their finances).

would you really want to miss out on a good time for a paltry $175 ?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: txtrophy85] #237005 10/24/07 12:00 AM
J
John2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'm already old by some standards and to me $175 sounds like a pretty good deal.

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: John2] #237006 10/24/07 12:06 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Dont try, I just do it and am glad I do as my daughter is now hunting with me.

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: MikeC] #237007 10/24/07 12:08 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Quote:

My grandson's love to go to the lease and that's enough justification for me. It's not all about killing deer anymore to me. I've got nothing to prove to anyone by hunting so I feel no need to justify it either. Heck I might have already quit if it wasn't for the grandsons. I enjoy just being out in Gods' country more than I do killing a monster deer. Things like this seem to change as you get older.
The Mulie Buck in my sig line was killed because the grandsons were there to share the experience with me. Other than that he might just still be walking. I had him processed and gave most of the meat to friends.

MC

Mostly true there Mike, but I dont see you giving it up for any reason! We will roll you out to the stand when you get your chair

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BMD] #237008 10/24/07 11:29 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

MC

Mostly true there Mike, but I dont see you giving it up for any reason! We will roll you out to the stand when you get your chair

Hey, I don't need no stinking chair yet. I still hold my own when it comes to getting stuff done. It's just that I don't get as pumped as I did even ten years ago. I still love it, but it's just different.

MC

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BrazosHunter] #237009 10/25/07 09:28 AM
A
AcademyOutdoors Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I don't even try to justify the fact that I'm a hunter. It's who I am...not just what I do.

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: AcademyOutdoors] #237010 10/25/07 01:26 PM
J
JED Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
When I look in the mirror and see a smiling face looking back at me.

3rd Armored Division
B Co 5/18 Infantry
[Linked Image]

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: MikeC] #237011 10/25/07 01:41 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Quote:

Hey, I don't need no stinking chair yet. I still hold my own when it comes to getting stuff done. It's just that I don't get as pumped as I did even ten years ago. I still love it, but it's just different. MC

Yeah MikeC it was like that for me also. One day or season if you will, I woke up and said "pull back a little"! Last year I didn't even load my gun. I enjoy watching the people who come to our place to hunt and their kills. I probably won't load it again this year and I'm out on the ranch a lot. Would rather shoot a coyote or hog, mostly coyote!! Some times I just sit on top of a hill and look at everything God has made and thank him.My2cents

Last edited by Big_Orn; 10/25/07 01:54 PM.
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: Cool_Hand] #237012 10/25/07 05:35 PM
D
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
How can you justify anything like that. Hunting, Fishing? Forget about it. Man, I could buy a lot fish for the $35,0000+ I have invested in a boat and tackle trying to catch a few fish. How can you justify going out to eat or going to the movies or buying that big ol plasma TV, etc. It's all for entertainment and making memories and enoying being outdoors. I do like the backstraps and saugage though. I believe you are only on this earth for a very short time. So, why not enjoy it. Now, that doesn't mean you go overboard with it, there has to be priorities and a balance.

I seen people like my dad who all he did was work all his life, have heart attacks and strokes and then die.

Bottom line: If you can afford to do it, go out and enjoy it while you can.

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BrazosHunter] #237013 10/25/07 05:44 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
I think hunters justify it the same way a person who golfs, fishes, races, or does anything else. They love to do it and that's all that matters. In my mind there's no deer worth what a lease or package hunt costs in actual value. But there's plenty of personal value in doing what you love to do! The only place in the World I can truly get away from work and get it out of my mind is in the woods and that in itself is justification to spend the money if need be!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BrazosHunter] #237014 10/25/07 05:48 PM
N
nthrolhntr Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
Everyone in the family calls me a cheap old SOB and they're right. But so is the OP.

I mooch off 2 sons for a place to hunt but by the time you add up gas, ammo & processing cost a lb. of venison is still about triple the cost of beef at the store.

Do enjoy hunting a little more than going to the Albertson's or Sam's though.

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: nthrolhntr] #237015 10/26/07 01:29 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have never paid to hunt in my life. I come form a small town in central Texas and have always been blessed to have plenty of places to hunt and fish. I was talking to an old rancher about this subject one time and I used to think that it was dumb to pay the ungodly amounts of money that people pay to hunt. He changed my mind though when he said that he would probably do the same thing if he lived in Dallas or Houston and din't get to experience the outdoors. So I learned not to take hunting and fishing for granted. I would pay watever it took to enjoy the things I love. I would go crazy if I lived in Dallas or Houston and didn't get to get away every once in a while.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BrazosHunter] #237016 10/26/07 01:47 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is how I justify it...I pull out the checkbook and look at how much the ol' lady spends on crap. Corn and fuel is much cheaper than that!!

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: txcornhusker] #237017 10/28/07 08:07 PM
J
jhunter77 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You shouldn't have to justify the cost you should enjoy being outdoors. To me spending time with family and friends is alot more important then buying a tv or having a $1000 a month truck payment, to see the smile on someone elses face for something I was able to part of means everything. From taking my daughter' (8 and 3) out to ride 4 wheelers or to shoot their pellet guns to letting my wife sit in the stand with and run the deer off with her snoring it's about being there not always counting points on a rack or dropping a doe off for some sausage. Hunters are living a special life and I wish everyone could have the experience once in a life time

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BrazosHunter] #237018 10/28/07 09:52 PM
F
frognot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
My wife was giving me a hard time about all the money i spent deer hunting.

I told her she was right, in fact a girlfriend would probably be cheaper.

She told me after thinking about it a little more that hunting wasn't THAT expensive.

When he was young, I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle both mean you better be responsible.
Dale Earnhardt
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: frognot] #237019 10/29/07 12:28 AM
C
cajundave Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
People spend money on all sorts of things. Leave my spending alone.

"Guns aren't toys!They're for family protection,hunting dangerous or delicious animals,and keeping the King of England out of your face!" H.Simpson
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: frognot] #237020 10/29/07 12:35 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I told her she was right, in fact a girlfriend would probably be cheaper.

Your lucky that she didn't say Yes, but the dee-vorce I am gonna hit you with, will keep you from deer hunting for a while.

You might want to re-think some of your responses to the spouse before you become a statistic. JMO

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: Crazyhorse] #237021 10/29/07 05:55 AM
F
frognot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
CHC, actually, the above was a conversation in my head, not one said out loud.

In fact, it was my wife's brother & his son that started me hunting and my wife encourages us to go hunting. She says it's good stress relief and makes me easier to live with.

When he was young, I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle both mean you better be responsible.
Dale Earnhardt
Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BrazosHunter] #237022 10/30/07 02:38 PM
O
ol_hoot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Hunting pays for my sanity.

I just have the need to get "out" sometimes

A good piece of ground where I can go poke around the woods is ten times better than a therapist would be.
I can unwind, try and find some sign ... figure out what the game is doing and where they are going.
It allows me to completely un-plug from the "real world"

...and there ain't no phones on them trees

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: ol_hoot] #237023 10/30/07 03:24 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Ever read or hear anything from Steven Covey?

There are some things you have to do. Each person has their own way, but it NEEDS to be done.

The story is about two lumberjacks, an old one and a young one. The old one is small, frail, and tired looking. The young one is a monster, big, strong, athletic. They get into a contest as to who can saw the most trees with a push-pull saw in a day. When they start, the young guy gets way ahead fast. After a little, the old man takes a break and goes around the corner out of sight. As the day goes on, the young guy works constantly, while the old guy keeps taking regular breaks. By the end of the day, the old guy has caught up and eventually passes the young one. The old guy is tired, but not nearly as exhausted as the young man who work his tail off all day.

The young guy admits defeat, but insists that the old man tell him what he did during the many breaks.

Sharpen the saw. You have got to sharpen that saw sometimes to work better.

I sharpen the saw by getting out in nature, be it hunting or preparing to hunt, just get out.

The cost of my hunting is far less than the cost of my sanity if I did not have the release.

I have golfed, fished, and hunted. Might change back someday. But I always come back to hunting.

Re: How do you justify the cost. [Re: BrazosHunter] #237024 11/07/07 05:43 AM
M
mikex2e7n5 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
I really can't justify the cost. Just like I can't justify the cost of the finer Vodka I drink, or the truck with a few little extras, or the electric start on the lawn mower, or paying for someone to change my oil, or paying to have my shirts done at the laundry. BUT they are all things I can afford, prefer to do and it doesn't take away from paying the bills or putting food on the table. It jsut falls on where are the priorities. As soon as another priority shows up, some of the little or big extras are gone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide