Print Thread
Trigger weight? #236642 10/22/07 06:30 PM
M
MontagueBowBuster Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
I went to the rifle range last week with my buddy and we were sighting in our rifles. He got his trigger brought down to three poounds. Do any of you guys do this as well. I shoot it and the first couple of shoots caught me off guard. After shooting his and min though I think Im going to get mine brought down as well. What are some benefits to doing this and what are some downsides to doing this?

Re: Trigger weight? [Re: MontagueBowBuster] #236643 10/22/07 07:08 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

What are some benefits to doing this

Increased accuracy

Quote:

what are some downsides to doing this?

None in my opinion.

I have at least 3 lb triggers on all my rifles except one.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Trigger weight? [Re: MontagueBowBuster] #236644 10/22/07 07:51 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Helps you not "pull" the shot. It is the first thing I do to a new gun. In MY opinion the lower the better, less than 3. Alot of gunsmiths wont go lower than 3. Do it you will like it much better.

Re: Trigger weight? [Re: MontagueBowBuster] #236645 10/22/07 10:30 PM
M
muliehunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
All my rifles are between 2 & 3 lbs . If you have trouble with flinching or pulling to the right or left because of heavy trigger pull ,this will help cure it. Make sure someone that knows what they are doing adjust your trigger pull as you can have a number of trouble occur if its not set correctly.

Evans Brothers Guns www.evansguns.com
Re: Trigger weight? [Re: muliehunter] #236646 10/22/07 11:36 PM
S
SJ Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I just had the trigger adjusted on a Rem. 700 bdl at Gander Mountain by their gunsmith and he recommended 3.5 for hunting, I am sure for bench shooting you can get by with less. It made a really big difference in mine.

sjadventures@cableone.net www.sportsmansjunction.com Booking Hunting Trips WorldWide
Re: Trigger weight? [Re: SJ] #236647 10/22/07 11:59 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Have mine at 2 lbs, no downside, but really increases your accuracy.

Re: Trigger weight? [Re: BMD] #236648 10/24/07 02:54 PM
M
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Thanks for all the feedback, Im probably going to go get it set at 3lbs. I think if it were any lighter the buck fever might come into play while my hand was shaking!

Re: Trigger weight? [Re: MontagueBowBuster] #236649 10/25/07 12:53 AM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have mine set just under 3 lbs. I like for the reasons above.

DOWNSIDE.... YES. If you go much below 3 lbs and have big gloves on when you are hunting b/c it is cold as heck and you go to put your big fat finger in the trigger gaurd you can set it off. 2 lbs is not that much pressure at all... expecially when you are shaking cold or Mr. Big walks out infront of you. Bare fingers, you should be fine, but I have heard of several people shooting the gun before they were ready when they went down too low.

You will want to slam it on the ground too to make sure it won't accidentally go off after you adjust.

3 is just fine for me.

Re: Trigger weight? [Re: Greg] #236650 10/25/07 01:24 AM
UtopiaTexasHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
What can one expect to pay to have this work done, and is it usually a while you wait type of thing? I know the while you wait may depend on his work load at the time.

There is a gunsmith close to Utopia, I may have him do my wife's rifle and mine to before we start hunting.

"Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway!"

"Don't steal. The government hates competition"

Re: Trigger weight? [Re: UtopiaTexasHunter] #236651 10/25/07 02:19 PM
M
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
My friend got his done at a place called Alpine shooting range local to Fort Worth and I think he paid close to a $100.

Re: Trigger weight? [Re: MontagueBowBuster] #236652 10/26/07 12:55 AM
S
SJ Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I paid $35 at Gander but that might have been a grand opening special. They did it while I shopped around.

sjadventures@cableone.net www.sportsmansjunction.com Booking Hunting Trips WorldWide
Re: Trigger weight? [Re: SJ] #236653 10/26/07 03:46 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I really hate to sound like a broken record ...but if you buy a Tikka T3 you can adjust the trigger pull weight yourself without having to remove the barreled action from the stock...and the tool comes with the gun with instructions on how to do it.
Same song third verse with a CZ 550...but with a CZ you have a choice already in that they come with a "set" trigger where if you push the trigger forward when the gun is cocked you have "set" the trigger into its "light" position. My CZ 9.3x62 came NIB with the "field" or standard trigger wieght at about 5lbs and the set was at about 2 1/2 lbs. While my 'smith was doing some other things to the gun he adjusted it down to about 3 1/2lb for the standard trigger pull and 16-18ozs pull in the set position to use off the bench.

Lots of reasons to look at something different in a rifle these days than the same old stuff.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Trigger weight? [Re: WileyCoyote] #236654 10/26/07 02:50 PM
M
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Yeah I wish my Winchester could be set by myself and not the gunsmith. Thats why I like the Savages with the acu-trigger and you can set the trigger weight yourself.

Re: Trigger weight? [Re: MontagueBowBuster] #236655 10/26/07 07:03 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If you wish you could do it yourself, then why don't you. Who told you you can't? Google Winchester trigger job and you should find step by step instructions with pictures and everything. Here is what I found in 30 seconds...

"Winchester triggers are a piece of cake.
You will need a tiny 1/4", open ended wrench, (better to have two), and a very small screwdriver. Also, have a bottle of nail polish (pink;) handy to lock the screw and nuts in place after you have finished all the adjustments.

Pull the action out. There are three nuts on the trigger... the two nuts that are together, hold and lock the spring that controls the "pull weight". The single nut locks the over-travel screw in it's setting.

The engagement setting is machined into the trigger bar with a gauge, and I've never had one that had an engagement problem. If your trigger has excessive creep, don't try to file it. This is a job for a very skilled trigger 'smith, and for the cost of the labor, you are better off getting an after-market trigger like the "Jewel"!

OK...

Lay the barreled action out on a clean work space (tell your wife you'll be finished before dinner).

With the 1/4" wrench(s), loosen all three nuts.

Start by adjusting the pull weight. Move the nut "pair" down to contact the trigger, and try the weight... if it's too light, move them up towards the action, and try again, repeating as necessary until you like it.

If the pull is too heavy when the two nuts are down on the trigger, then unscrew and remove the trigger stop.
Remove the spring, and cut off one coil. Then replace the spring, and start over again.
When you have the pull weight as you like it, lock the two nuts against each other.

Next, using the small screwdriver, adjust the over-travel screw to your liking, and lock the nut against the trigger bar.

Now, put a dab of nail polish on the nuts to hold them tight.

Don't put Loctite on triggers... use women's nail polish on triggers (pink works best to hold the screws or nuts in place... Loctite can seize the small screws and nuts used in triggers, making them impossible to adjust or remove.

The Winchester nuts won't shoot loose if properly tightened, but the Remington screws WILL slowly work themselves loose over time, so they MUST have nail polish on the heads.

Finally, put it back together. Remember that the two end bolts hold the action into the stock, and require 65 inch pounds of torque (if you have a torque wrench), or to be very tight, if you just have a screwdriver.

But also remember that the middle screw is just to secure the front of the trigger guard, and hold the magazine box in place, so have it snug, but not over tight... the middle screw does NOT hold the action in place."

Good luck and be sure to test via dropping on the butt of the gun that it does not go off.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide