Page 1 of 2 1 2
Supressor question #2297595 05/08/11 09:26 PM
H
Hogslayer5L Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
I was talking with some buddies about getting s supressor and they told me that you had to have a special license to buy one and that they were hard to get. I see all you guys with them on here and find that hard to believe, is this true??

Re: Supressor question [Re: Hogslayer5L] #2297625 05/08/11 09:38 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
$200 tax stamp.

[Linked Image]

Re: Supressor question [Re: Fooshman] #2297661 05/08/11 09:56 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
$200 tax stamp.

Re: Supressor question [Re: Fooshman] #2297662 05/08/11 09:56 PM
Longhorn95 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Talk to a class III fire arms dealer.

There's a couple on here and they can give you the ins and outs.

It's a lengthy and depending upon where you live, can be a cumbersome process.

Re: Supressor question [Re: Longhorn95] #2298200 05/09/11 02:54 AM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
PM Inbound

Certified Glock Armorer - Because my Sig Sauers Don't Fail.
"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: Supressor question [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2298768 05/09/11 01:51 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Its a painless process other than the waiting. 10 minutes of paperwork, then a wait.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Supressor question [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2298789 05/09/11 02:06 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Type: SilencerCo Osprey .45
Method: Trust
Sent: 03/25/2011
Received: 3/28/2011
Check cashed: 4/1/2011
Pending : 4/9/2011
Approved: TBD
Examiner: William Shipman
Tax Stamp Received: TBD

Waiting smile

Re: Supressor question [Re: dieselgeek] #2298882 05/09/11 02:48 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
It's relatively easy and eaier than what you would think it is.

No matter what your NFA item is (supressor, short barreled rifles, fully autos before the ban) you have to pay the above mentioned $200 ATF tax stamp.

Your options are:
1. Set up a trust. Takes a lawyer if you're a plebean like myself. Mine cost $450 to set up and I can give you the contact for the guy I used here in Houston. FYI, a trust can have more than one member, i.e. could share costs with someone you really trust. If you go this way then all items technically belong to the trust and not directly to you. This is the easiest way to go, IMO.

2. Fill out some form everytime you get an NFA item and have your county Sheriff sign off on any and all NFA applications. In Harris county, the sheriff's office will almost never sign it or you have to wait forever from what I hear.

I think setting up the trust is cleary the way to go. I seems like it would save yo money and time on the long run. I'm in one with my best friend and it's been a totally hassle free process after it got all set up.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Supressor question [Re: dieselgeek] #2298886 05/09/11 02:49 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: dieselgeek

Waiting smile

I feel your pain, brother. I sent in my paperwork about the same time and waiting for my Sparrow.

Re: Supressor question [Re: Korean Redneck] #2298888 05/09/11 02:51 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck

Waiting smile

I feel your pain, brother. I sent in my paperwork about the same time and waiting for my Sparrow.

I think I'm going to call today and check on the status.

Re: Supressor question [Re: dieselgeek] #2298903 05/09/11 02:58 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
My buddy, and fellow trustee, has that exact same supressor. And it is freakin cool as hell!

He waited a little over 2 months before he got his. I would guess you have another 3 weeks of waiting to go.

Re: Supressor question [Re: Korean Redneck] #2299707 05/09/11 09:11 PM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Dieselgeek, that is the coolest sig!

Re: Supressor question [Re: Varget 7-08] #2299738 05/09/11 09:26 PM
S
Skylar Mac Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
everyone is forgetting the letter from the Sherriff or Police Chief

Re: Supressor question [Re: Skylar Mac] #2299791 05/09/11 09:47 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: TexasWicked1

Not forgetting about it. Just bypassing it. There's no need for any Sheriff/Police Chief involvement when doing it through a trust.

Re: Supressor question [Re: jeepercreeper] #2299808 05/09/11 09:51 PM
S
Skylar Mac Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: jeeperbryan
Originally Posted By: TexasWicked1

Not forgetting about it. Just bypassing it. There's no need for any Sheriff/Police Chief involvement when doing it through a trust.

I just saw that after I posted to the thread.

Re: Supressor question [Re: Korean Redneck] #2299813 05/09/11 09:52 PM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
[quote=Korean Redneck]It's relatively easy and eaier than what you would think it is.

No matter what your NFA item is (supressor, short barreled rifles, fully autos before the ban) you have to pay the above mentioned $200 ATF tax stamp.

Your options are:
1. Set up a trust. Takes a lawyer if you're a plebean like myself. Mine cost $450 to set up and I can give you the contact for the guy I used here in Houston. FYI, a trust can have more than one member, i.e. could share costs with someone you really trust. If you go this way then all items technically belong to the trust and not directly to you. This is the easiest way to go, IMO.

You can set up a trust for under 50 bucks......... Very simple and no need to spend 450.00. The forms are very simple and most or some of the Class III dealers even do them for you.

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Supressor question [Re: TRIJI....WHAT] #2300374 05/10/11 01:44 AM
B
beech96w Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
options extended...

1) get it transfered to you directly (get a CLEO signature)
2) pursue all CLEOs, there's a long list of folks who can sign

no CLEO will sign willingly
3) get a lawyer, have them file with a judge, and force them to sign ( $$)
4) form a corp, transfer NFA to the corp
5) form a trust, transfer NFA to the trust

The BATF is notorious for filing letters which reverse their opinion of the day. They can interpret the law anyway they can get away with. They blow both directions like the wind, and choose what ever opinion which suits their agenda, which is fueled by the climate of the current day politics.

Ten years ago, no one registered NFA to a trust.

Re: Supressor question [Re: beech96w] #2306467 05/12/11 04:26 PM
C
clay breaker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I use a Corp entity, but I do believe the trust is the easiest way to go today. $200 tax stamp per item, and some paperwork, NO special license required.
The wait was the worst on my first one,6 mo., but after that they have all went pretty quick, say 30-45 days.

Surplus Guys Building Materials- Gainesville,TX
Check us out and "like" on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surplus-Guys-Building-Materials/212939587490?ref=hlerials
Re: Supressor question [Re: clay breaker] #2306729 05/12/11 06:01 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
FYI To everybody doing a trust make sure its a Legal NFA trust, Quicken Trust or Similar Online do it yourself versions are risky and often not worded properly for NFA weapons being Transferred in. There have even been some cases recently where BATFE has pursued charges against Trusts that where not Set Up legally.

There is a lot of Good information regarding NFA Trusts/Lawyers
http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/ I Suggest doing some research before writing your own via Quicken or other DIY Trust sights.

"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: Supressor question [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2306790 05/12/11 06:33 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Psychosmurf
FYI To everybody doing a trust make sure its a Legal NFA trust, Quicken Trust or Similar Online do it yourself versions are risky and often not worded properly for NFA weapons being Transferred in. There have even been some cases recently where BATFE has pursued charges against Trusts that where not Set Up legally.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/ I Suggest doing some research before writing your own via Quicken or other DIY Trust sights.

The owner of that site has a law office. Seems a little fishy.

Can you point us to some cases (not from that site) of the BATFE issuing a tax stamp then turning around to investigate the validity of the trust? Very interested. I heard there is no such thing as a NFA trust. That it was invented by lawyers to scare people into paying $450 for a trust. There are tons of people that have acquired NFA items through Quicken trusts, etc so I'm surprised the BATFE would issue the tax stamp in the first place if the trust wasn't legal.

Re: Supressor question [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2306829 05/12/11 07:08 PM
L
longone Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L

X2... be sure to cover all the bases, get a real NFA TRUST!!!

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"
is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Type VII/Class II SOT..
www.tacticalhogcontrol.com
www.cottonwoodarmory.com
Re: Supressor question [Re: jeepercreeper] #2306966 05/12/11 08:22 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: jeeperbryan

The owner of that site has a law office. Seems a little fishy.

Can you point us to some cases (not from that site) of the BATFE issuing a tax stamp then turning around to investigate the validity of the trust? Very interested. I heard there is no such thing as a NFA trust. That it was invented by lawyers to scare people into paying $450 for a trust. There are tons of people that have acquired NFA items through Quicken trusts, etc so I'm surprised the BATFE would issue the tax stamp in the first place if the trust wasn't legal.

The owner of that Site is a highly Regarded Lawyer Specializing in NFA Laws/Regulations. He operates the Site to connect people with other Lawyers in there area and to Write Articles based upon Questions People ask him regarding NFA Case Law/Regulations Free of Charge to Those Viewing it so while I do See your Argument not everybody whom reads his Advice or Columns will seek his Service or that of Any Person He recommends.

While I agree it does seem Bias for him to Say that, There has been several cases where it has happened on Trusts and LLC's even Individual although its less common on the last.

It will take me minute to find them but Yes I can.

Your Semi Correct in your Statement "No Such thing as NFA Trust" While there is none that blatantly Say NFA Trust all across it the Wording is Different According to our Legal Council that was sought after questions where arose on this topic by Customers.

Another thing that has arose is the Legality of whom is picking it up for the Trust and Then how they Pay the Dealer. There is Still a lot of Grey Area that BATFE has not ruled on even if they have Ruled an Official opinion they Can reverse it at Any Time.

As far as Issuing the Stamp on an Invalid Trust it has happened on both Trusts, LLc's, and Individual Transfers.

Re: Supressor question [Re: dieselgeek] #2306988 05/12/11 08:32 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Waiting smile

Method : Individual
Sent: 3-18-2011
Received: 3-22-2011
Cashed: 3-25-2011
Approved: ???
Examiner: Dana Pickles
Form 4 revived: ???

I feel your Pain, I'm Still awaiting delivery of my 762SD-N6 from AAC Mr. Mers says It should be here by the end of June, keeping my fingers crossed banana2

Re: Supressor question [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2307137 05/12/11 09:53 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Both Threads I commented on, on 2 different Forums where locked/moved.

Bottom line, I think the BATFE has bigger fish to fry. As I tell all my Customers whom inquire about inspection authority, You have to do something to bring them to you.

I'm sure there is more to the story than what we where informed of, like he did something he should not have and after further investigation BATFE ruled the Trust to be invalid.

Like I said, I would be concerned about it and make sure it is right. I would not worry myself to death over it though.

Re: Supressor question [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2307729 05/13/11 02:45 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Both Threads I commented on, on 2 different Forums where locked/moved.

Bottom line, I think the BATFE has bigger fish to fry. As I tell all my Customers whom inquire about inspection authority, You have to do something to bring them to you.

I'm sure there is more to the story than what we where informed of, like he did something he should not have and after further investigation BATFE ruled the Trust to be invalid.

Like I said, I would be concerned about it and make sure it is right. I would not worry myself to death over it though.

I've been searching for a couple of hours and can't find a real case where a Quicken/Legal Zoom trust has been deemed invalid. I found one case that was fishy because the guy was in Afghanistan and his family was handling all the paperwork. 99% of results that come up in google are for "NFA trust lawyers" or they are discussion boards linking to the same sites. If you look through the previously mentioned site (guntrustlawyer.com) there is a ton of generic and duplicate posts throughout the site which screams fluff to me.

Since trusts are at the state level, I checked on the Texas Constitution and Statutes website on living trusts and don't see anything NFA/firearm/weapon related that sticks out that would easily invalidate the trust:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Do...HighlightType=0

Looking at NFATracker.com, approximately 59% of Form 1 and Form 4s are done through a trust. That's 617 tax stamps in 2 years (site was created on 5/4/09) acquired via trusts. I'm sure that is a very, very small sample of the actual number of tax stamps issued. Seems if this was an epidemic, we'd be hearing more about it. I'd be willing to bet my salary that most people are not paying $500 for their trust.

If I catch wind that Quicken/Legal Zoom trusts are actually being deemed invalid, I'll be the first to call up a lawyer. But until then, I see a niche that lawyers have found and are taking advantage of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide