Print Thread
22-250 #22871 06/17/05 02:42 AM
D
droptine43 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Looking for 22-250 in a fmj. Anyone know of a manufactuer that makes them?
What are some of your favorite setups in a 22-250, mainly for varmints.

droptine43
Re: 22-250 [Re: droptine43] #22872 06/20/05 12:52 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I have a Rem 700ADL that shoots really well. It's nothing fancy but it's nice and light for carry and non-reflective for hunting those wary coyotes!

BTW-why are you looking for FMJ ammo? If you're wanting it to shoot varmints then you're asking for trouble! Pass right through and ricochet trouble that is.. Much better to go with some sort of rapid expanding bullet, pointed soft point at the minimum. Just my .00002....

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: 22-250 [Re: pyledriver] #22873 06/20/05 02:28 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just my .02 on this, several folks that are hunting coyotes and bobcats for the fur to sell are going with FMJ or Solids, cause it don't make a fist size exit hole. As for the rapidly expanding varmint-style bullets, we had a guy on the javelina hunts year before last, that was having bullets blow up literally on the shoulder of a javelina with hardly any penetration, and that was from a .222, a javelina isn't actually any tougher built than a coyote. So if a bullet is doing that, then something is wrong. JMO

Re: 22-250 [Re: Crazyhorse] #22874 06/20/05 01:37 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
We're talking about 2 ends of the spectrum.. We could take up all the server space here talking about the expansion properties of whatever bullet travelling at whichever velocity... Needless to say, that information is 'out there' to be read.

FMJ is not the only answer to fur damage! Tailoring the bullet to the load is all that's necessary. The ricochet issue should be enough to give pause, but when you throw in trying to track a coyote that has minimal damage due to a pass-through-no-expansion wound I would think you won't ever find much fur to worry about preserving!

I've had bullets blow up on me too. I shot a nice buck with my 7mag loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tips scooting at around 3100fps-it blew up on it's shoulder and I never recovered that deer! Sometime later came a small mention about blowups at over 3000fps! Of course, not being one to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater', I went back and did some research and changed my loads to a bullet that was more capable. So, to recap-you don't need an FMJ to save fur, and all rapidly expanding bullets are NOT bad..

Do some checking and asking around about that .22-250 and you'll probably find that the 'el cheapo' Winnie white box 45gr hollow points will do a decent job for you MOST of the time. There's just never gonna be a one size fits all solution when it comes to fast bullets and thin-skinned critters!

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: 22-250 [Re: pyledriver] #22875 06/20/05 02:04 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think if you will look back, I didn't say everybody was doing that, I just know folks that are, and a lot of them are pleased with the results they are getting. They may be hunting in areas where shoot thru/ricochet problems are neither a concern or an issue.
Personnally, I don't like Solids/FMJ's, especially the military surplus 223, cause I have seen those things cut a jackrabbit in half at 60 yards or so with one body hit.
And this is just my opinion also, but I want my bullets to penetrate completely thru and leave an exit wound. Admittedly, a solid/fmj bullet of 224 diameter is not going to leave an exit wound large enough for any blood to get out of. I didn't say I supported the practice, but, I would rather see folks using a little tougher constructed bullet, that won't fly apart on impact. As I have said elsewhere, disinegrating a prairie dog is one thing, blowing up on the shoulder of a coyote or javelina or white-tail is another.

Re: 22-250 [Re: Crazyhorse] #22876 06/20/05 03:03 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Hey CHC, after I went back and re-read your post I realized that I had not completely caught your intent!

I'm just not a big fan of FMJ for anything and I admit it! Solids with exposed lead are fine in my book though! It's kinda funny, in the last few years I've been moving away from the fast/light calibers like my 7mag and hunting more with the slow/heavy stuff like my .45-70 with 405gr flat nose bullets. Big holes, no blowups and no cavernous exit wounds so far on deer and pigs!! I haven't shot a coyote with it yet, but I may do that this year just for grins! It's quite a sight to see a pig just crumple when hit with that .45-70...just lets ALL the air right out of 'em! I know, I know, I could use my .22-250 and shoot 'em in the ear and they'd be just as dead but it's not as much fun!

My limited experience so far with the .22-250 and .223 is that the PSP's seem to work well. They're not expensive for sure and I've had good accuracy with them. I will point out though, that I have had a few large exit holes when I've hit bone. I'm still experimenting myself with mine. I DO like it though...it's a little powerhouse!

Re: 22-250 [Re: pyledriver] #22877 06/20/05 05:13 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
As you can tell, from almost all of my posts, I am a real fan of big rifles, throwing big bullets, but at morerate to low velocities. My exceptions are my hornet, Lora's 257, and my 6.5x55, but even with those, I am only using the info from the middle of the laoding chart, but for nearly all of my hunting, I use Barnes "X" and now the Barnes Triple Shock bullets. I want a bullet, that I can eat right up to the hole, yet it is going to let enough air and fluid out, that it will shut that motor down fairly quickly.
One thing that I have never brought up on the forum, or don't think I have, someone please correct me if I have, and it is something folks that have never hunted game larger than white-tails, don't really like to talk about or think about.
While all of us want to kill as quickly and humanely as possible, when you go to bigger game, including elk, guides want you to break that animal down, and then finish it off. Usually this means shoulder shots, and I don't mean behind the shoulder, they want you to break those shoulders and get that animal off of its feet.
Solids/FMJ's have their uses, like any other tool, but as you said, they don't fit all applications, and I wouldn't recommend them unless the person is capable of making only head shots. JMO and I respect you for yours.

Re: 22-250 [Re: Crazyhorse] #22878 06/20/05 06:18 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Interesting about the elk thing.. I guess I never knew that! Sometimes I get carried away talking about the 'bang-flop' effect my .45-70 has on whitetails, and it might sound like bragging or something but it's really just how happy I am to drop something in its tracks and not have it suffer! I don't want to get everybody riled up, but I've seen more follow up shots when using the fast/light combo than I have with the slow/heavy. I do realize there are die-hard fans on each side...kinda the .45 vs. 9mm argument!

BTW-the 7mag is stoked with Barnes X bullets this year..hehehehe! Here piggy-piggy-piggy..and everything else!

Re: 22-250 [Re: pyledriver] #22879 06/22/05 12:38 AM
D
droptine43 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Thanks for all the advice and information. The main reason we are looking for a fmj in 22-250 is for the ability to to take varmits with minimal damage to furs. I didn't put this in the original post, but my son is the one looking and we are talking a guy that has taken a turkey with a 30-30 in the head at 80 yards. He is an exceptional marksman and works hard to keep those skills up.
He is still not sure on the 22-250, has debated on a .223 as well. He got a look at a .204 the other day and was impressed as well.
Anyway, he makes a desission, I will let you guys know.

droptine43
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide