Print Thread
Mini-Review Sig 522 #2265196 04/24/11 01:23 AM
B
bad karma Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Picked one of these up at the Dallas gun show a couple of weeks ago.

I've been looking for a .22 rimfire on an AR style platform for some time, for just plinking and to keep handy for small critters. I wanted something that I could toss in the truck and not worry too much about.

I found the Sig interesting because I already have a 556, so the ergonomics would be similar. Plus, the Sig has a folding stock, which makes it handy to tuck away.

As I said, I found one at the Dallas gun show for right at $400.

I took it to the range for the first time today to get it sighted in.

I mounted an inexpensive holographic sight (the rifle does not come with sights), and off I went.

To sum things up, I ran just a little over 200 rounds of CCI Stingers through it, without one single failure to fire or failure to feed or eject. It was flawless.

The trigger is adequate. About what you would expect from this kind of rifle at this price point. The first shot is a little long, with just a bit of creep, but then it breaks clean. By just releasing the trigger slightly, the follow-up shots are very nice. Since I was at a public range, I couldn't do much in the way of rapid fire stuff. But it should be fairly easy to fire this rifle quckly and accurately.

Speaking of accuracy....while I would not consider this a pure target rifle, it never the less, was very accurate. My holographic scope was a little dim, and it was a bright day, so I had difficulty at times getting the red dot in exactly the same spot every time. Despite this, I was able to pull down some pretty good groups at 25 and 50 yards. The important thing was, that it is consistent. I think with a standard 4X or variable scope, it would be pretty easy to get some pretty decent groups with this rifle. But I did not buy this rifle with the intention of mounting high-powered optics. As I said, this rifle is for plinking and practice and just plain old fun.

Those who might be interested in this rifle can find quite a few youtube videos with it in action.

The one thing about it that is a little bothersome, is that there is quite a bit of wobble with the magazine. I don't like things being loose. However, I must admit, it did not affect the function of the rifle. As I said....when it comes to function...it was flawless.

The Sig has a couple of nice features as well. For one thing, just like its big brother the 556, there is a storage compartment in the grip. It's an excellent place to put things like extra batteries for the holographic sight...or even some matches or other survival gear.

A person with an eye to detail will also notice the faux gas piston knob above the barrel. On the Sig 556, this has a function of course. But on the 522, it is not mere decoration. Nope....it's got a little pop off top which opens up yet another storage compartment. Pretty slick.

It comes with one 25 round AR style magazine. Additional magazines can be found online pretty easily. And it's supposed to take any of the AR style magazines that are out there. I have not tried it...so I can't confirm that. I did notice that Cheaper Than Dirt has the Sig magazines available for about $35.00 and the standard knock-offs for about $25.00. In any case...extra mags should not be a problem with this rifle.

Anyway....I'm pretty pleased with this little rifle. I was impressed with its portability, over-all quality, function and design. And it's just plain fun to shoot.

Re: Mini-Review Sig 522 [Re: bad karma] #2265345 04/24/11 02:44 AM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Good review, thanks.

Re: Mini-Review Sig 522 [Re: deerfeeder] #2267128 04/24/11 10:29 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I recently got a 522 as well and I absolutely love it. Probably have about 500 rounds through it now and its one of my favorite guns to shoot now. Its runs without a hitch. I also put a cheapo sight on mine (Primary Arms micro) and found it to be decently accurate. I recently traded a gun for his black furniture because the green furniture I had just wouldnt grow on me.

BTW, I picked up a another magazine at Cheaper Than Dirt a couple of weeks ago for $20. Its the exact same as Sig magazine just different label.

Cant wait to get my suppressor for this bad boy

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide