Print Thread
Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome #2210272 03/28/11 09:26 PM
T
TexasQuackHunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I have really enjoyed going out to try to get a couple yotes. I am having trouble getting anything to come in to the call. Im using a Foxpro Spitfire and have tried the baby cottontail, cottontail distress, ect ect. I also use a wobbly rabbit to give them something to look at. I am not sure how long to run the call, how loud, ect. What time of day is best to hunt. What to do on a night hunt when you can hear a pack not too far away and draw them in to the call. Thanks guys

Working is for people who don't hunt!!!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: TexasQuackHunter] #2210389 03/28/11 10:16 PM
22-250AI Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Alot of the time with ecallers, people turn the volume up too high (not saying you do, just an idea). Start out softer and work your way up, that way you do not blow a close one away. We normally use handcalls, but when we do use my foxpro we run it continuously. Best time to hunt is early morning, late evening, and night. This time of year, when we do go out, is 99% night hunting (if you can stand the bugs lol). Also wind is a big factor in success. Setup with the wind at your face or a cross wind, and remember to check downwind for smart coyotes circling you. I am by no means an expert, this is just what I have learned from my experiences. Best thing to do is get out there and hunt.

Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: 22-250AI] #2210416 03/28/11 10:25 PM
B
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
It all depends on the size of the place you are hunting also. If it is a small place you can burn it out in no time. Like stated above, i always try to run the call continuos. And as mentioned, a lot of times the calls are turned up too load. What size place are you hunting, also give a description of the property. Trees, water etc.

Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: bwk1975] #2211025 03/29/11 02:29 AM
W
westtx_coyotehunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
always expect the unexpected.

Just a good call.......
Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: westtx_coyotehunter] #2211216 03/29/11 03:32 AM
T
TexasQuackHunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I have access to many places of various sizes, terrains, and vegetation. Most of the places we hunt are on or near a farmed pasture (wheat mainly) with some wooded areas nearby. Wish I had someone to go out with and learn some more bout all this jazz because I enjoy it.

Working is for people who don't hunt!!!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: TexasQuackHunter] #2211733 03/29/11 02:23 PM
U
UltimatePredator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
Understanding what coyotes do during various parts of the year as well as how much pressure a particular area has recieved will dictate how we aproach our stands. Example, during the fall, October, November means lotts of pups and this is usualy the easiest time of year to be successful with all your distress sounds... cottentail, woodpecker, ect. December through February we will switch over to more coyote vocals than during the fall while they are starting to pair up. This doesnt mean that they wont come to a distress sound during those months, however often times it will allow you to get those more educated dogs to respond that may have already heard distress sounds that year. There is no cookie cutter way or majic recipe for success for calling coyotes cause every situation or area within the country is different, however every year there will be pups and every year they have to pair up to make'em! Hope this helps. Chris

CARNIVORE'S night hunting Professionals!

Only on Pursuit...

www.ultimatepredatortv.com
Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: UltimatePredator] #2211973 03/29/11 03:57 PM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Give me a hollar there G, come go with us. You been hunting more down by your dads and the tracks? We took a few more dogs over there this month. Missed a double at another place outside Trenton a few weeks ago. Im no pro but we been shooting several, using the Spifire!

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: jskin] #2212043 03/29/11 04:33 PM
P
Patron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
The only thing I'd like to add is the direction of the wind can play a large part of success or failure.

I'd also try puppy and kitten calls. If their are known chickens farms in the area, try distressed chicken as well.

out in west texas the puppy and cottontail/jackrabbit is all i've used.

Patrón
Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: Patron] #2212079 03/29/11 04:43 PM
A
Archer Anthony Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
i have begun to notice that an area where there are not many rabbits that the squealers do not seem to work

Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: Archer Anthony] #2212750 03/29/11 09:06 PM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
coyotes will try to circle downwind most times, be sure to set up where you have an open view downwind.

Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: MaggieMTx] #2212859 03/29/11 10:04 PM
T
tejaschaos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
+ 1 on the downwind Maggie speaks of. Also, break up your outline where you are sitting. Lean up against a tree, sit in some brush, whatever you need to do to not show your outline. It helps to sit with the sun at your back, too. As crazy as it sounds, use any type of distress calls. I've never seen a snowshoe hare, but have called in a few dogs using snowshoe distress. They are very opportunistic animals, not caring what is screaming. You have to constantly scan your hunting grounds. They may see you and hang up in the treeline. Keep at it, and don't let the lack of instant success keep you from trying. It is very rewarding when you finally beat one. Best of luck!

Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: tejaschaos] #2213135 03/30/11 12:20 AM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
We just tried my Foxpro this past weekend in Baylor County in wheat fields. We had no luck until we tried the distressed baby cottontail. Wow! Once we got to that sound we could barely get set up and get the rifles chambered before those dogs came barrelling in.

the one constant no matter where you are is to stay DOWNWIND - the wind needs to be in your face. this was easy for us - the wind usually blows pretty hard in Baylor County and it is not hard to figure out how to set up. We like to stalk hogs in wheat fields, and you can absolutely walk right up to them as long as the wind is in your face. Wind is just as important in hunting coyotes.

the other thing is to make sure you have the correct optics on your gun. If hunting with a scope, I would advise to turn it down to a low power. I prefer to hunt with a AR-15 with a EO Tech holographic sight with a 3X swing away magnifier in front of it. This sight allows me to keep both eyes open while trying to bring the gun up and sight the coyote.

Shooting called in coyotes reminds me of sporting clays on the ground. I am new to this also, but I am having a blast with this call and bringing those dogs in instead of just shooting one every now and then when I happen to cross paths with one.

If you have ADD like me, this is a great way to hunt.

Last edited by millerliteliker; 03/30/11 12:21 AM.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: millerliteliker] #2213235 03/30/11 12:55 AM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I like the wind going away from me and the call. I know I take the risk of getting my scent busted but I like the distance I get out of the call. When calling into the wind I dont feel the sound carries very far. This is what is great about hunting, different strokes for different folks!

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: jskin] #2213273 03/30/11 01:08 AM
B
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Yeap if it works it works. But i have found they will usually circle down wind of the call. Plus their hearing is way better than ours. They can hear the call many times when we think they might not be able too.

Re: Need help with predator hunting. All tips welcome [Re: bwk1975] #2213360 03/30/11 01:38 AM
Y
yoter223 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
I think if you hunt in an open field you should hunt with the wind to your back, that will put the yote in your face instead of having them sniff you out without you even seening them.

If it flies it dies,If its brown its down.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide