Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,821
Posts9,741,771
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall #2203954 03/25/11 04:23 AM
C
cable Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
That is what's coming up on the show this weekend. There is a very good chance that sometime in the next couple years, we will legally be able to snuff out feral hogs via the use of poison. What is the poison made of? A special feeder that ensures only hogs can access it? Who will make it? All those questions will be answered by Texas Wildlife Services Mike Bodenchuk.

Then for all you crappie anglers out there, Mr. Crappie will drop in to talk about chasing slabs during the spring spawn. Wally is a really nice guy and I am excited to have him share his expertise with us. Now's the time to fill the freezer!

Also, TPWD Turkey Program Leader Jason Hardin will stop by to discuss what hunters should expect to see next weekend when the north zone opens up. Also, how are the Eastern birds doing and will TPWD really have to close 15 counties to turkey hunting next year?

Should be a highly informative show.

Saturday morning from 8:30-9:30 on Dallas' 95.3 The Range and from 7-8 on San Antonio's KTKR Ticket 760.

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: cable] #2204133 03/25/11 12:38 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Looks like another good show to listen in on. Thanks!

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: Curtis] #2204179 03/25/11 01:02 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Great topics. Look forward to it.

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: cable] #2205248 03/25/11 11:45 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: cable
That is what's coming up on the show this weekend. There is a very good chance that sometime in the next couple years, we will legally be able to snuff out feral hogs via the use of poison. What is the poison made of? A special feeder that ensures only hogs can access it? Who will make it? All those questions will be answered by Texas Wildlife Services Mike Bodenchuk.

Thats a ticking time bomb right there! You start poisoning critters on your land and then it crosses the fence and gets shot and later eaten by hunters then things are going to get ugly.

Should make for an intresting topic though. popcorn

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: JCB] #2205337 03/26/11 12:58 AM
M
MSAR_Fan Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I'm all for poisoning hogs... my preferred poison of choice is lead at high velocity

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: JCB] #2205579 03/26/11 03:11 AM
C
cable Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: JCB

Thats a ticking time bomb right there! You start poisoning critters on your land and then it crosses the fence and gets shot and later eaten by hunters then things are going to get ugly.

One would think so, but the poison only kills the hog. Its actually sodium nitrate which is a food additive in human food but fatal to hogs because they cant produce the red blood cells necessary to change it...now it gets over my head....but anyway it wont kill humans or other animals that injest the dead poisoned hog.

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: JCB] #2205674 03/26/11 04:16 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

I'm sure they can work that out lol.... just because u poison something doesnt mean it will kill u if u eat it...

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: cable] #2206301 03/26/11 06:20 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

One would think so, but the poison only kills the hog. Its actually sodium nitrate which is a food additive in human food but fatal to hogs because they cant produce the red blood cells necessary to change it...now it gets over my head....but anyway it wont kill humans or other animals that injest the dead poisoned hog.

Sodium nitrate is used to preserve cured meats like bacon. Maybe the hogs will be precured after eating the stuff.

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: Palehorse] #2206307 03/26/11 06:22 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
You ever have a rat die in your wall? Imagine one of those big suckers crawling under your shrubs around the house and dying.

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: Palehorse] #2206374 03/26/11 07:10 PM
B
BubRay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Good show today Cable.

Take Care,
Bub
Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: BubRay] #2206593 03/26/11 09:42 PM
O
olducker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I wish the poison thing would not happen. The hogs are a poor mans big game animal. If people do not speak up this will destroy them.

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: olducker] #2206610 03/26/11 09:54 PM
P
pnh Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
confused2

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: pnh] #2206744 03/26/11 11:37 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Wish I could have heard the show, how was it?

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: Guy] #2206982 03/27/11 01:40 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
post a link Cable - want to hear this one!

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: Guy] #2207246 03/27/11 04:16 AM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Guy
Wish I could have heard the show, how was it?

Cable, podcast?? popcorn

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: TxTechsan] #2210563 03/28/11 11:32 PM
C
cable Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Sorry guys, podcast is up. Try to have it added for ya on Monday mornings. Hog poision plant will be in Texas. So at least those damn feral hogs will be creating some jobs here. cheers

And to the poster who is worried about this ruining your hunting, I don't think it's gonna do that. It's gonna be up to the landowner to decide whether or not to use thes stuff.

Episode 62 Podcast. www.lonestaroutdoorshow.com

Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: cable] #2213726 03/30/11 03:38 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I listened to the interview, and by the description of the mandatory feeder that the sodium nitrate bait is placed in the hog is going to have to work at it to get to the bait and probably only one hog at a time.

Also the smaller hogs may not be able to lift the door to get the trap open which will spare a lot of the smaller hogs.

Also there is a posibility that the smarter more educated trap shy hogs will avoid it altogether.

Maybe I'm invisioning it wrong, but I just don't see it being overly efficient such as a corral type trap that already is, that catches a whole sounder in some cases, and thus not wiping out the population in short order, which is good for those who still like to hunt and trap them.

Any method to help control them is good, but I just don't see this being the silver bullet, as long as it has to be administered in an approved and purchased, bait specific feeder.

Last edited by Jimbo; 03/30/11 01:35 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Few Things To Chew On: Poison For Feral Hogs? Turkey Time and Crappie with Wally Marshall [Re: cable] #2214336 03/30/11 03:29 PM
D
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
This one method to insure that other wildlife other the a hog cannot get to the poisioned bait. It kills fast and humanly.

http://www.kens5.com/news/Wildlife-Servi...-113037454.html

Last edited by DCS; 03/30/11 03:29 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide