Print Thread
im probably late to the party.... #2186697 03/16/11 08:11 AM
P
pikefall04 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
but i just noticed that benelli has a "super" vinci....the only complaint i ever heard about the original was it didn't hold the 3 1/2's...so whats the deal duck men...

and this is NOT a "what shotgun should i buy" thread...just wanted to start a converation about duck guns... please for the love of god, I cant see that title in our duck forum again!

Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: pikefall04] #2186721 03/16/11 10:53 AM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
The deal is its UGLY!

I did shoot a Vinci, and it was nice. I just could not get past the UGLY. It would flare all of the ducks.

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #2186776 03/16/11 12:06 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I get emails from Benelli...I must have signed up along the way. Anyway the day they introduced it I got an email and made a post. From all accounts the Vinci is a great shotgun...I'm happy with my SBEII but if something where to happen there is a good chance I would end up getting the Vinci. As for the looks...ha...it's a duck gun...any camoed gun is ugly.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: Marcstar] #2186897 03/16/11 01:31 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Gold if Ugly flared ducks I would not shoot a one.

Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: ducknbass] #2186949 03/16/11 01:52 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Dang...Goldy and Ducknbass make some excellent points.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and I had an opportunity to buy a Vinci last week for $700 and I couldn't get past the ugly enough to buy it, even to flip it. I still can't believe the guy sold it so cheap.

I haven't seen a single negative performance issue on the gun anywhere. Not all camo guns are ugly in my opinion...I think from a lines perspective the M2/SBE is one of the best looking guns out there. I just prefer a gas gun and I shoot enough clays I want my hunting gun and my clays gun to match.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: pikefall04] #2187028 03/16/11 02:33 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: pikefall04
but i just noticed that benelli has a "super" vinci....the only complaint i ever heard about the original was it didn't hold the 3 1/2's...so whats the deal duck men...

and this is NOT a "what shotgun should i buy" thread...just wanted to start a converation about duck guns... please for the love of god, I cant see that title in our duck forum again!

Dude,

That's like going to a family get together and wanting folks to talk about something different. Just got to roll with it.

Now as for the Vinci, shot Dave's and it kicked like a mule. Granted, when hunting, you're not going to notice it, but the price is off for me. The M2 is several hundreds less and just as good a gun. And at the current MSRP for the 3.5", I'd go straight for the SBEII.

The assembles in seconds and breaks down for cleaning is nice, but not at the current prices. But if priced any lower, it probably would affect the sales of the SBEIIs.

Last edited by Hopedale; 03/16/11 02:36 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: Hopedale] #2187248 03/16/11 04:23 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
First of all, my feet are big enough that I don't need to shoot 3.5" shells. I know that's a problem for some of you but not here. Luckily they've finally made a gun for you but I got one before they super sized.

I bought one because there is no recoil spring in the stock. I went on a hunt with my 391 once and it was a conventional blind where your barrel points at the sky all morning. It poured for about 4 hours. When I got home, I thought, "well, I haven't shot a ton of rounds out of this gun (5k maybe) but I probably ought to get into the recoil spring and clean it up since I never have... even when I bought it and got the rest of the grease out."

I poured about 2 shots of oily, sludgy, greasy water out of the recoil spring. Now some of y'all have been hunting and owned guns a lot longer than I, but I happen to know that a spring that is only a few hair widths thick is going to rust if there is water on it, and fairly quick. After that first experience, after every rainy hunt I had to clean the gun down to the recoil spring to soothe my conscience, and it usually had some water in it.

The Beretta 391 is not fun to de-stock. Actually getting the stock off the receiver is easy enough, you poke your screwdriver down through the recoil pad, strip the phillips head screws a while, and get the stock off. But putting it back together requires some special homemade tools, magnets, and a heavy dose of luck and magic.

Now, it might be easier to get to the recoil spring of an SBE or an M2 or what have you. But let's face it human nature is when you get burned by one thing long enough you avoid that thing even if you get burned by something else in the process.

The Vinci has NO RECOIL SPRING in the stock. It is part of the action. It takes approximately a minute to completely strip a Vinci on the cleaning table and about as long to put it back together. And you are not ignoring the recoil spring in the process, like most people are when they do a quick clean of an auto.

I knew I'd be hunting the coast a lot in the future when I bought the gun and from fishing there for years, knew I'd have to clean the gun every night.

I'm liking the Vinci. It's been through all the punishment of a season of duck hunting so far, sitting in puddles of water in my kayak, seen the coast, been chock full of dust walking up pheasants in the panhandle. It's not a perfect gun but I bought it for a specific reason and it has done what I needed.

Some or a lot of you are thinking "I never clean my recoil spring and my gun is just fine!" Well that's ok for you. I made the mistake of looking in there one time and now I have to so I tried to make the job as easy as possible!

Besides have you SEEN the new commercial? Hotties in black leather, the Duck Commander bunch in a Cadillac, fireworks, peanut oil, you got the whole spectrum!

http://www.benelliusa.com/supervinci/commercial.php

Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: Dave Speer] #2187271 03/16/11 04:33 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Well smack me in the behind and call me sally, i didnt realize it didnt have a recoil spring in stock

Last edited by sptaylor; 03/16/11 05:04 PM. Reason: typo
Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: sptaylor] #2187276 03/16/11 04:34 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
The SBE2's spring is "corrosion resistant"

Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: Hopedale] #2187292 03/16/11 04:44 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Hopedale

...The M2 is several hundreds less and just as good a gun. And at the current MSRP for the 3.5", I'd go straight for the SBEII....

The assembles in seconds and breaks down for cleaning is nice, but not at the current prices. But if priced any lower, it probably would affect the sales of the SBEIIs.

m2 $1320
vinci $1380
maxus $1390
super vinci $1650
sbe ii $1650

In my opinion they're all so close in price that you buy the one that fits your needs, not your wallet.

Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: sptaylor] #2187329 03/16/11 05:00 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by sptaylor
Well smack me in the behind and call me sally, i didnt realize it didnt have a recoil spring.

It does have a recoil spring it's just not in the stock, if you watch a portion of this video from 0:33 to 1:20 you can see several angles that talk about the action and how it works and even a cutaway of it cycling.

If you'll pause at 52 seconds you can see the complete action assembly. It requires no tools to remove from the gun and the recoil spring is the longer, heavier spring on the top of the screen running from the bolt to the red rubber gasket on the top left of the screen. (That gasket holds the action assembly in the gun when the barrel is detached from the stock so it doesn't fly out when you pull the two apart. It has no mechanical function during shooting the gun.)

It's not just that I bought a Vinci so now I'm a huge Vinci/Benelli fan, it's that the gun is so entirely different from every other shotgun on the market that it is in a completely different class. Not better but different. I have not been following the Super Vinci stuff at all, I assume it's the same gun with a longer chamber and maybe a longer/heavier spring but I don't have a clue.

Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: Dave Speer] #2188289 03/17/11 01:14 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
Originally Posted By: Hopedale

...The M2 is several hundreds less and just as good a gun. And at the current MSRP for the 3.5", I'd go straight for the SBEII....

m2 $1320 M2 American MSRP $1149
vinci $1380
maxus $1390
super vinci $1650
sbe ii $1650

In my opinion they're all so close in price that you buy the one that fits your needs, not your wallet.

Now lets look at retail prices on Cabela's Web site:

m2 American---- $999.99 ......................(MSRP $1149)
vinci---- $1299.99 ...........................(MSRP $1380)
maxus---- $1199.99 ...........................(MSRP $1390)

super vinci ---- no retail price at this time, but I bet it goes for same price at SBE II retail (MSRP $1650)

sbe ii ---- $1499.99...........................(MSRP $1650)

Now the M2 American is $300 cheaper then the Vinci, but as for as price goes, the range is from $999.99 to $1499.99. And certainly fit should be considered over price.

[Linked Image]
Re: im probably late to the party.... [Re: Hopedale] #2188322 03/17/11 01:32 AM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I just got an M2 and it is an awesome gun.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide