Page 1 of 2 1 2
For you old timers #2169071 03/08/11 07:58 PM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
Ok, Im 47 and can never remember hunting in places that didnt have corn feeders. My first experience was hunting in the Hill Country near Garner State Park. We hunted over feeders in the morning and evenings and spent the day still hunting. Anyway do any of yall remember when corn feeding started in Texas and did it start in one region and then spread to others?

Let'em grow old
Re: For you old timers [Re: rtp] #2169143 03/08/11 08:31 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
First corn I can remember feeding was in the late sixties. Dad would pour it on the ground every few days in areas we had blinds. Sometimes that meant next to trees we had platforms built to set in. Sometimes blinds consisted of tree limbs and plywood stacked to conceal hunters. I don't remember using feeders until maybe the late seventies or early eighties and they were all the daylight and dark feeders that were very unpredictable and unreliable to say the least.

Re: For you old timers [Re: KG68] #2169187 03/08/11 08:54 PM
D
dirty bird Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I can remember! I too am 47,went hunting with my father in the late 60s,I was less than 7,to a day hunt outside of San Antonio. Well nowadays it is the area near Sea World and Loop 1604. As we exited the drop-off truck and entered the ground blind we were assigned, the "guide" spread corn on the road, around the blind, and next to some trees. All this corn was less than 10 yds from us. My father became agitated, asked the "guide" if he had a baseball bat. ??? He tells the "guide" , hell if they come that close, I will just knock them over the head and save the bullet. My father had many years hunting experience by then, around Del Rio, Amistad, Dolan Creek etc. Were not going to fool that guy!! Corn has been the bait for many years.

Re: For you old timers [Re: rtp] #2169204 03/08/11 08:59 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I never even heard of a corn feeder until I was grown. We threw out some corn from time to time, but a hundred pound tow sack of it (that's all it came in back then) would easily last an entire season.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: For you old timers [Re: Texan Til I Die] #2169278 03/08/11 09:30 PM
S
Switch Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
The first corn I saw used in East Texas was in th late 60s. We took 5 gallon cans made a 6 inch cut about 2 in from th bottom and bashed it in so the corn would be exposed. We then hung it from a tree. a short time later we came up with a 3/4 in piece of pipe that had a frame welded to it that the bucket would fit in. Drive that sucker in th ground and walla a state of the art feeder was borne. AAAAAAhhhh those were th good old days th first forked horn buck that stepped out was shot. Hardest thing I ever did was to let that first small buck walk. That day I shot at the 3rd buck I saw that day and harvested th 5th. It just so happened each buck that came by was bigger than th previous. yep that day was th day I actually stopped getting excited when a buck came by. Since then I can take em or leave um and still love it.

It could be uh law I dont no. Yall have uh good un

Re: For you old timers [Re: Switch] #2169330 03/08/11 09:50 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I am 44 and started deer hunting when I was thirteen. hunted 500 acres in Gillespie County until I was in my late teens. we had one feeder on the whole place that the rancher owned and kept full. we only hunted the feeder late in the season or if we brought a guest. we would harvest does from it. that was in the day when you had to have a doe permit and the rancher would leave two in the camp house next to the log book at the first of the season. not as many feeders out there as these days but i do think it is a good thing despite some of the critics of hunting over a feeder

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: For you old timers [Re: landsurveyor] #2169570 03/08/11 11:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Well since I am the oldest old timer to post so far at 54 I will. First corn we fed was in the early 60's out of large coke bottles or 7 up. We would shell corn and fill them up during to the day to put out. Deer would roll them around to get the corn out of them. No hogs back then and cattle could not figure it out. We also used the wooden coke cases from 12 oz bottles and filled it will shell corn and the deer could eat it but cattle could not. The first feeder I had seen was a 15 gallon grease drum that was mounted about 30" off the ground with 3 openings cut in the sides with a baffle inside to keep the corn from free flowing out. First bought feeder was the old 5 gallon hanging wind feeders in the late 60's to early 70's. First timered feeder I had seen was in the early 70's. My first one was one of the Texas Hunter solar eye timers with D cell batteries.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: For you old timers [Re: stxranchman] #2169670 03/09/11 12:30 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Well since I am the oldest old timer to post so far at 54 I will. First corn we fed was in the early 60's out of large coke bottles or 7 up. We would shell corn and fill them up during to the day to put out. Deer would roll them around to get the corn out of them. No hogs back then and cattle could not figure it out. We also used the wooden coke cases from 12 oz bottles and filled it will shell corn and the deer could eat it but cattle could not. The first feed I had seen was a 15 gallon grease drum that was mounted about 30" off the ground with 3 openings cut in the sides with a baffle inside to keep the corn from free flowing out. First bought feeder was the old 5 gallon hanging wind feeders in the late 60's to early 70's. First timered feeder I had seen was in the early 70's. My first one was one of the Texas Hunter solar eye timers with D cell batteries.

Not the oldest. Your just young enough to still have a good memory. scratch nidea rofl

Re: For you old timers [Re: KG68] #2169699 03/09/11 12:43 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: KG68
Well since I am the oldest old timer to post so far at 54 I will. First corn we fed was in the early 60's out of large coke bottles or 7 up. We would shell corn and fill them up during to the day to put out. Deer would roll them around to get the corn out of them. No hogs back then and cattle could not figure it out. We also used the wooden coke cases from 12 oz bottles and filled it will shell corn and the deer could eat it but cattle could not. The first feed I had seen was a 15 gallon grease drum that was mounted about 30" off the ground with 3 openings cut in the sides with a baffle inside to keep the corn from free flowing out. First bought feeder was the old 5 gallon hanging wind feeders in the late 60's to early 70's. First timered feeder I had seen was in the early 70's. My first one was one of the Texas Hunter solar eye timers with D cell batteries.

Not the oldest. Your just young enough to still have a good memory. scratch nidea rofl

Did I just post this? scratch roflmao

Re: For you old timers [Re: stxranchman] #2169775 03/09/11 01:07 AM
W
wanderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I remember being on some leases in Young county in the early 70's and the folks I hunted with just laid out lines of corn.

Didn't start seeing feeders until early to mid 80's.

Killed my first deer, a small 8 point buck on a 160 acre place I subleased from a man I knew in Graham Texas, Gilbert Webb.

He let ,me on that place for $25.00 for the season. At that time the limit for Young county was one buck.

That was in 1970, I had just turned 20.

Re: For you old timers [Re: stxranchman] #2169783 03/09/11 01:09 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I am in my 60's, first time I am pretty sure it was 1970. Nothing more than some corn spread on the ground.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: For you old timers [Re: dogcatcher] #2169796 03/09/11 01:13 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I started hunting on a lease in '65 with my dad and I was 23 and they had been using hanging feeders from Sweeney for a while. I still have two of the feeders with digital timers in them. I'm 69.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: For you old timers [Re: Cool_Hand] #2169886 03/09/11 01:42 AM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
61 here! Ditto stxranchman, dogcatcher, cool_hand....

Spend most of my early years doing "spot & stalk" in New Mexico & Colorado. Here in Texas we made our own hanging feeders with the old metal 5gal buckets. Put a rod thru sides near top, attached a spring and a long piece of wire. Cut a hole in the bottom & hooked one of those round fishing bobbers at the bottom. Attached a piece of 50lb mono below the bobber with a piece of tin on the other end. Wind blow, bobber wiggles, corn falls on ground.

First timer I saw was also one of those dusk & dawn photo cell jobs sometime in late 60's early 70's. Also did the family size glass coke bottles full of corn. Still do that with the plastic 2 ltr things. Deer are sorta fun to watch kickin that bottle around!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: For you old timers [Re: Cool_Hand] #2169899 03/09/11 01:46 AM
Q
Quick Shoot Again Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Q
Killed first one in 1958 walk, stalk, shoot. No corn until the late 60s. Used glass 2 liter coke bottles and a small square of hay to lay the bottle on. Deer would paw and nuzzle bottle and spill corn in hay. We would also sprinkle corn along roads leading to tree we were sitting in. I am now 70 and hunt in a warm stand with a feeder 50 yards out.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Screaming "WHOO HOO What A Ride"

NRA Life Member
Re: For you old timers [Re: Quick Shoot Again] #2169968 03/09/11 02:10 AM
R
RedHoss Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I'm 61. The first corn feeder I ever saw was in Llano county on an excellent day lease in 1969. The landowner had put it up just to keep the deer in the area but had not told us about it. I saw it when I walked by it. It was a 55 gallon drum up on legs with something bolted onto the bottom of the barrel that was ticking. I walked up to it and looked it over top to bottom but could not tell what it was (there was no corn showing anywhere). I turned to walk away and a loud roaring whirling sound filled the air and something started hitting me all over my back from head to foot. Scared the heck out of me. I almost needed a clean pair of shorts and a roll of toilet paper. When it stopped, there was corn all over the place and I realized what it was and had to laugh at myself. I had heard of these feeders but had never seen one until now. Five seconds earlier and it would have gone off right in my face, mainly eyes, because I had been looking into the timer and motor trying to figure out what it was. Live and learn. Main thing I learned was, if you find something and you don't know what it is, leave it alone and ask someone. It almost cost me my eyes.

Re: For you old timers [Re: stxranchman] #2169978 03/09/11 02:14 AM
S
Switch Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Wait uh minute i forgot to post my age I am 64 and I had completly forgoten th coke bottles and wooden crates now that is clasic memories thanks for th memory jog. We also poured it in hollow stumps and holes in th ground. I found one of those grease drums a few weeks back that years ago had been fastened to a tree and only about 8 or ten inches off th ground. I will take a pic of it next weekend and post it

It could be uh law I dont no. Yall have uh good un

Re: For you old timers [Re: Switch] #2170045 03/09/11 02:27 AM
W
wanderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I can remember when if a hunter saw a deer during the season and killed it he was lucky.

Now days, people start getting worried if they don't see a dozen or more deer every time they get in their stand.

Re: For you old timers [Re: wanderer] #2170159 03/09/11 02:49 AM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'll be 49 in June. I'm with stxranchman on the wooden coke cases. When I was a kid, my Dad bought part of a ranch east of Graham in Young County. We buried coke cases all over that place. My wife and I were someplace a while back and they were selling those wooden coke cases for $55-$65. I told her I wish I had all those that we buried. My uncle used to make bump feeders out of chicken wire and screen.

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: For you old timers [Re: Big Tony] #2170480 03/09/11 04:04 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Guess old the old timers went to bed. tired

Re: For you old timers [Re: stxranchman] #2170511 03/09/11 04:17 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I remember the Coke cases, I also remember having to dig the darn hole in caliche.

About 1978 I found a set of plans for making a timer and then used it with a heater motor from the wrecking yard. Sucker would eat a battery about every 2 weeks. Then about 1980 I built a sunup and sundown timer and found a motor from RC car, we really thought we were up town. Back then the commercial versions were high dollar, but I could make one of these for about $10, motor, controller and the box. Spent a summer making them for everyone on our lease and other people I knew.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: For you old timers [Re: dogcatcher] #2170768 03/09/11 11:27 AM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
first baiting I can remember was not with corn.....we poured rocksalt in an old hollow stump all summer long.....checked that stump every 2 wks for a coupla months....nothing...I had really kinda forgot about it by the time deer season rolled around.....when it got wet that winter I went by the area and that stump was half eaten up.....went straight home and grabbed a climber stand and fred bear bow and killed my first deer that afternoon looking over that salted stump....I only wish I could get the same rush now as I did when that arrow shot thru that spike.....he might as well have been b&c ...in fact to me he was......first corn feeder for me was not till the 80's.

Re: For you old timers [Re: westtex75] #2170895 03/09/11 01:40 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
In the early and mid sixties we hunted the Juno area southwest of Sonora. We would take axes and cut the soto plants and expose the inner most core. The deer would flock to them like they do a nice grain field. If we didn't have an axe we would try and bust them up with the front grille guard on a jeep. I'm not sure that was the real name for those huge yucca plants but that what the older guys called them so that was their name to me. We didn't have blinds so they would pick a small canyon and bait the bottoms by busting these big plants up for them a few plants every week or two. Fine times

Re: For you old timers [Re: KG68] #2171021 03/09/11 02:33 PM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
Man, those are all great stories. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming. My first deer hunt was when I was 12 so that would be 1975 and that place we hunted near Garner State Park had motorized feeders then. We hunted them but did not see much. We so more deer walking around during the days. I shot my first deer there, a doe, but she was not at a feeder. We got our own place in the early 80s and we had a few homemade feeders but mostly we dumped corn by hand. We had several 55 gal barrels of corn in at the camp and you just scooped out what you wanted for that hunt and took it with you. I remember back in those days of just dreaming about shooting any 8 point buck. Took a long time before I accomplished that feat.

Last edited by rtp; 03/09/11 02:34 PM.

Let'em grow old
Re: For you old timers [Re: rtp] #2173357 03/10/11 12:46 AM
Q
Quick Shoot Again Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Q
Since you got the old timers reminiscing, My first deer hunt was a day lease south of Sweetwater at the astronomical price of $5 per day and the ranch owner let us hunt a full day and a half. 30-40 Krag open sights and only a pocket knife, Dull pocket knife. And it was true if you even saw a deer you were pretty successful, but I did kill a small 8 point(seemed awful big back then). Then the feeders started showing up and as they say the rest is history.

Last edited by Quick Shoot Again; 03/10/11 12:47 AM.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Screaming "WHOO HOO What A Ride"

NRA Life Member
Re: For you old timers [Re: Quick Shoot Again] #2173389 03/10/11 01:00 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
my uncle killed a pretty big buck back in 1970 in cotulla. he shot it while him and a few other guys were pushing a pear flat, buck jumped and he got him.

he had the buck mounted at the insistance of everyone in the group including the landowner.

deer maybe had 115 inches of antler on top of his head.

funny how things change over time

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide