Page 1 of 2 1 2
For all of you CHL holders.. #2165990 03/07/11 05:19 PM
J
jcarlson91 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm 20 years old and will be taking my CHL class in 6 months. I'm starting to look at handguns to buy that are small enough to cary and are fun to shoot at the range. As well as different places to carry. Just wanted to hear y'all out on what y'all carry and where. And maybe what class to take it with. popcorn
Thanks Josh
rifle

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jcarlson91] #2165995 03/07/11 05:21 PM
C
cswilder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I took my class from these guys:

http://www.crossfire-training.com/content/

They were good and should be pretty close for you in Denton. I've gone through several carry guns and have settled on pocket carry with a Kahr P380 as the only thing I'm not too lazy carry daily.

Last edited by cswilder; 03/07/11 06:41 PM.
Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: cswilder] #2166207 03/07/11 07:08 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Lots of threads to look at on this topic.

I suggest to everyone get a good, reliable manufaturer (Glock, Sig, XD, etc) in a 4" model. Short enough to carry in most circumstances. Long enough to be accurate out at longer distances for fun shooting. I think if you get a really short barreled handgun with a long, hard double action trigger, you will find it's only good in very limited applications. I highly suggest getting a more versatile gun for you first.

Nothing personal cswilder, but I don't thik shooting a Kahr P380 is very fun to shoot at the range/outdoors. Especially if you will be paying for the ammo to shoot.

Caliber is also a big question. As mentioned before, the wrong choice can not only be not fun but costly. I've said it a hundred times, a gun is no good unless you have confidence in it. The only way to get really confident is trigger time.

For me, all the above translates into a Glock 19. Great size for all around applications. (mm is very affordable yet enough good hollow points out there to have great stopping power.

Good luck.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: Korean Redneck] #2166211 03/07/11 07:10 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Glock 26 is hard to beat. If you want get the 27 in .40cal

Or the .357 Sig

For subcompacts I don't think anything else compares.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: dieselgeek] #2166243 03/07/11 07:26 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: dieselgeek
Glock 26 is hard to beat. If you want get the 27 in .40cal

Or the .357 Sig

For subcompacts I don't think anything else compares.

+1 on the Subcompact Glocks. I went through 4 different carry guns until I finally settled on a Glock 26. Reliable, small, and still fun to shoot at the range.

I also carry a S&W 642 occasionally but limited to 5 rds, no night sights.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jeepercreeper] #2166254 03/07/11 07:35 PM
N
NRH Bill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I also took mine from Crossfire-training (class was at Cabelas).
Sig P239-9mm is my carry choice.

Good luck; hope you never have to use it!!

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jeepercreeper] #2166257 03/07/11 07:37 PM
J
jcarlson91 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I really like the Kimber's, Sig's, and HK's.. Haven't heard good enough feedback from Glock's yet to trust them. I have heard a few good things about Kahr though. Thank you for your advice guys.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jcarlson91] #2166268 03/07/11 07:41 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: jcarlson91
I really like the Kimber's, Sig's, and HK's.. Haven't heard good enough feedback from Glock's yet to trust them. I have heard a few good things about Kahr though. Thank you for your advice guys.

lol you've heard a few good things about Kahr, but not Glocks?

I have Sig, HK, and Glocks. The Glock 26 ( if you want 9mm) is small, holds 10-12 rounds. If needed can use most parts from it's bigger brothers, has the same trigger pull everytime you pull the trigger, and they can be beat to death. If you want HK I do have a USP .40 FS though.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jcarlson91] #2166272 03/07/11 07:43 PM
C
ChickenWilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
My grandad is an instructor and lives in carrollton so he is pretty close to you when you get ready to do your course. His name is Arch and his number is 214 789 3421 give him a shout

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: dieselgeek] #2166289 03/07/11 07:56 PM
J
jcarlson91 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J

lol you've heard a few good things about Kahr, but not Glocks?

I have Sig, HK, and Glocks. The Glock 26 ( if you want 9mm) is small, holds 10-12 rounds. If needed can use most parts from it's bigger brothers, has the same trigger pull everytime you pull the trigger, and they can be beat to death. If you want HK I do have a USP .40 FS though.

I actually just heard about Kahr the other day, so I looked it up and read a few things about it. I would buy your HK but I'm only 20 so I can't 'actually' buy it. hammer
May try and talk my dad into getting me one before I turn 21 to practice and take it to CHL classes..

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jcarlson91] #2166291 03/07/11 07:56 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

LOL, dude you need to do a google search on "Glock torture test". Glocks are probably the most trusted handguns on earth.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jcarlson91] #2166303 03/07/11 08:01 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Don't worry too much about the shooting portion of the test. It is very VERY easy. Surprisingly and comfortably easy. There was a guy in my class who never shot a gun and rented from the range the day of and passed the shooting test.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: Korean Redneck] #2166316 03/07/11 08:07 PM
J
jcarlson91 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jeeperbryan

LOL, dude you need to do a google search on "Glock torture test". Glocks are probably the most trusted handguns on earth.

Maybe I do need to quit listening to my friends and find out for myself.

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
Don't worry too much about the shooting portion of the test. It is very VERY easy. Surprisingly and comfortably easy. There was a guy in my class who never shot a gun and rented from the range the day of and passed the shooting test.

Yes I've watched videos of this part and I have a very good shot with handguns so I will be perfectly fine during this part! Thanks!

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jcarlson91] #2166517 03/07/11 09:38 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Selling to someone over the age of 18 is just fine.

Intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give a firearm to any child younger than age 18. It is an affirmative defense to this charge that the transfer was to a minor whose parent or legal custodian had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or legal custodian had given effective consent (see section 46.06(c)). This offense rises to the level of a "state jail felony" (the lowest class of felony under state law) if the firearm involved is a handgun (see section 46.06(d));

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jeepercreeper] #2166522 03/07/11 09:42 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: jeeperbryan

x2.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: dieselgeek] #2166523 03/07/11 09:43 PM
J
jcarlson91 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Selling to someone over the age of 18 is just fine.

Intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give a firearm to any child younger than age 18. It is an affirmative defense to this charge that the transfer was to a minor whose parent or legal custodian had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or legal custodian had given effective consent (see section 46.06(c)). This offense rises to the level of a "state jail felony" (the lowest class of felony under state law) if the firearm involved is a handgun (see section 46.06(d));

Let's see other insight on this popcorn

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jcarlson91] #2167943 03/08/11 05:17 AM
A
Alan D Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Just have your dad buy the gun when you figure out what you want. My dad bought me my first handgun when I was 14. And when I was 10-12 he bought me a black powder pistol kit where you finish the metal and wood yourself plus do all the assembly.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jcarlson91] #2168280 03/08/11 02:51 PM
C
cswilder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C

It pleases me to see a younger generation coming along who haven't had the glock kool-aid poured down their throats since birth. smirk

Glocks are fine weapons as well as the others you mentioned. There are also at least a dozen more manuafacturers building equally fine and durable handguns. However, on internet forums Glocks are generally considered to have been handed down to Moses along with the 10 commandments. You can rent a bunch of different handguns at The Bullet Trap in Plano and see what YOU prefer.

Last edited by cswilder; 03/08/11 02:52 PM.
Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: cswilder] #2168336 03/08/11 03:09 PM
D
dieterich Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: cswilder

It pleases me to see a younger generation coming along who haven't had the glock kool-aid poured down their throats since birth. smirk

Glocks are fine weapons as well as the others you mentioned. There are also at least a dozen more manuafacturers building equally fine and durable handguns. However, on internet forums Glocks are generally considered to have been handed down to Moses along with the 10 commandments. You can rent a bunch of different handguns at The Bullet Trap in Plano and see what YOU prefer.

+1

For me, I carry a commander-sized Kimber .45 and would bet my life on it. I have shot it enough to know that if I need it, it will perform on command.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: dieterich] #2168429 03/08/11 03:55 PM
J
jeepthing Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J

My CHL comes later this week. I just logged on this morning and the website says it's been mailed out. clap Anyway, my "plan" is to carry a Sig P225 while it's still cool enough to wear a light jacket or flannel shirt to help cover it. I've got a Kel-Tec PF9 that will take over after that, when it's hotter and I go to shorts and T-shirt only.

I've been "carrying" at home now with an IWB holster for about 6 weeks now (crossbreed style at 4 oclock). Been getting used to the way it looks, way it feels, and how to keep the pistol from peeking out. It also takes a few weeks to break in the leather. I highly recommend at least a few weeks at home of trying it out before heading out in public for the first time. Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but my wife hasn't noticed or asked wink.

dieterich, go somewhere like Bullet Trap in Plano and put your hands on every gun they'll let you handle. Do a lot of U-tube searching on guns, holsters, carry options, caliber options, ballistics tests, etc . . . . . . .

Then go to every gun show they have between now and when you take your class. Here in the DFW area you can find almost 1 a month if you don't mind driving up to an hour to different areas of town. Pick up and handle every gun there. Ask questions.

Above all, realize now, as I now have realized: There is no gun that will be perfect for everything. Meaning every possible carry scenario and be the perfect target "plinking" gun. Go ahead and accept now that you will be owning 2 or three at least and will probably have them on a rotation. One for shorts and t-shirts, one for jeans and sweatshirts, one for heavy jacket, etc . . .

For me, I've settled on a Sig and a Kel-Tec, both in 9mm. Will work for me, ammo is relatively inexpensive (meaning I can afford to practice with it weekly). So far I've been shooting about 100 rounds a week. Both pistols are single stack mags so the guns stay slimmer. That's both good for concealment and for my hands (small).

Ultimately, it's a very personal decision that will evolve over time. You'll buy multiple holsters until you find out what fits your body type comfortably and that actually conceals it like it is advertised to.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you sir.

Jay "Jeepthing" Bush
Registered Architect
Bush Architects, LLC
Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: Alan D] #2168544 03/08/11 04:43 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Alan D
Just have your dad buy the gun when you figure out what you want. My dad bought me my first handgun when I was 14. And when I was 10-12 he bought me a black powder pistol kit where you finish the metal and wood yourself plus do all the assembly.

Dont mention this when you're making the purchase. They probably wont sell you the gun. Seen this happen twice when dad was buying a present for their under 21 child.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jeepthing] #2168581 03/08/11 04:55 PM
D
dieterich Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I think you must have typed my name when you meant to type the OP's. I've been carrying for a while now and have no problems - holsters and guns included. I've got the gun I'm going to carry. grin

Originally Posted By: jeepthing

My CHL comes later this week. I just logged on this morning and the website says it's been mailed out. clap Anyway, my "plan" is to carry a Sig P225 while it's still cool enough to wear a light jacket or flannel shirt to help cover it. I've got a Kel-Tec PF9 that will take over after that, when it's hotter and I go to shorts and T-shirt only.

I've been "carrying" at home now with an IWB holster for about 6 weeks now (crossbreed style at 4 oclock). Been getting used to the way it looks, way it feels, and how to keep the pistol from peeking out. It also takes a few weeks to break in the leather. I highly recommend at least a few weeks at home of trying it out before heading out in public for the first time. Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but my wife hasn't noticed or asked wink.

dieterich, go somewhere like Bullet Trap in Plano and put your hands on every gun they'll let you handle. Do a lot of U-tube searching on guns, holsters, carry options, caliber options, ballistics tests, etc . . . . . . .

Then go to every gun show they have between now and when you take your class. Here in the DFW area you can find almost 1 a month if you don't mind driving up to an hour to different areas of town. Pick up and handle every gun there. Ask questions.

Above all, realize now, as I now have realized: There is no gun that will be perfect for everything. Meaning every possible carry scenario and be the perfect target "plinking" gun. Go ahead and accept now that you will be owning 2 or three at least and will probably have them on a rotation. One for shorts and t-shirts, one for jeans and sweatshirts, one for heavy jacket, etc . . .

For me, I've settled on a Sig and a Kel-Tec, both in 9mm. Will work for me, ammo is relatively inexpensive (meaning I can afford to practice with it weekly). So far I've been shooting about 100 rounds a week. Both pistols are single stack mags so the guns stay slimmer. That's both good for concealment and for my hands (small).

Ultimately, it's a very personal decision that will evolve over time. You'll buy multiple holsters until you find out what fits your body type comfortably and that actually conceals it like it is advertised to.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you sir.

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: dieterich] #2169754 03/09/11 01:02 AM
J
jeepthing Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Ha!! Your right, sorry about that. Got in a hurry and looked at the wrong part of the thread. Need some more of this for sure -> coffee

Jay "Jeepthing" Bush
Registered Architect
Bush Architects, LLC
Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: jeepthing] #2170015 03/09/11 02:22 AM
D
dieterich Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
lol

Re: For all of you CHL holders.. [Re: dieterich] #2170163 03/09/11 02:50 AM
O
Omaney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Quote:
Haven't heard good enough feedback from Glock's yet to trust them.

I don't drink the GLOCK Kool-aid and that is one of the most ignorant things I've read on this forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide