Forums46
Topics538,361
Posts9,736,304
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #2143760 02/25/11 05:14 PM
W
west-tex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Sounds like Caldwell and Tx deer hunter need to have a couple of drinks an relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Drink up my friends

dosxxx

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: west-tex] #2144242 02/25/11 08:57 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Lol I’m good but reading into it looks like the original post should have done that from the beginning and if not that then at least look into marriage counseling boxing

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #2145407 02/26/11 07:05 AM
J
james77351 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Thank you for the info. With that being said the way my marriage works is between me and my wife. My 3 year old daughter spends everyday we can in the woods together. I did not ask anyone for any help or information on what they can decide on my work ethic and my responsibilities to my wife and daughter. I will ask that if you have anything to add to this topic about who I am as a parent or a spouse then move on. I am sick of getting on here to see if anyone has help me and finding what appears to be an attack on my character. For the few that have given me some info thank you I appriciate the help. It looks as if I will not be able to guide on public land.
James

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: james77351] #2145806 02/26/11 04:57 PM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
James, You still might have something here. I hunt on a private lease and have for years, but like many others I'm getting tired of over paying for poor results. I know you can find info on public hunting online.( Permits, Maps where to hunt, Regulations...)But that takes time, it would be worth something to be able to call someone and get short cuts on all this. If you have years of experience hunting and scouting public land you could show people where the less pressured better places are. I don't think the TPWD would do anything if your just pointing people in the right direction. If all your asking for is gas money and mabey alittle more I thing it's well worth it. Good Luck!

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: CGB] #2145874 02/26/11 05:39 PM
T
Two Bear Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
James I admire your enthusism to make some money doing what you love. As an outfitter, I can tell you that there is much more to it than "being in the woods". Everything I do each hunting season I do for other people. Guiding is a customer service function, not a hunting one. If you do enjoy the satisfaction of helping other people then any kind of guiding job isn't for you. I rarely hunt myself anymore, and the off season is spent reading/writing/praticing and researching. People work hard for their money, and when your a guide you better know your stuff inside and out. You have to be a pro, that is what you are paid to do, and getting to that point requires that you go above and beyond the average hunter during season and in the off season. I'm 42, and my workout regiment for Autumn elk season began Feb 1. I have to be in excellent shape come Sept 01. My point is being an outfitter carries heavy responsibility toward clients and its a year round function.

www.elkoutfitters.com
Two Bear Outfitters
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: Two Bear] #2148407 02/27/11 11:44 PM
J
james77351 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I am willing to put the time in. I spend my off season in the woods scouting as it is. I enjoy the time I spend helping people find deer. I spend more time as it is helping and scouting for my friends then I do for me. Its a passion for me its not about the money its about the love for the sport that I have. I have gotten to the point were I don't care to kill a deer but would rather put my friends on a big deer. I may be only 24 but I am eaten up with deer and deer hunting.
James

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: james77351] #2148493 02/28/11 12:37 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
James, any way to scrounge enough together to go to an outfitter school? It may help. From the sound of it, you have the desire, you're just in the wrong place (state). Maybe see if you can work with one of the large ranches as a guide to see what you think too. Just some thoughts.

Two Bear said it well and very politely I might add. Folks expect a LOT out of their guides. Even if everything is going well it's a pretty demanding job. The more experience you can gather, the better! At 24 you're at a good age to start, and the physical part will be easier for you now than in later years.

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: CGB] #2148599 02/28/11 01:10 AM
T
Tx Deer Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: CGB
James, You still might have something here. I hunt on a private lease and have for years, but like many others I'm getting tired of over paying for poor results. I know you can find info on public hunting online.( Permits, Maps where to hunt, Regulations...)But that takes time, it would be worth something to be able to call someone and get short cuts on all this. If you have years of experience hunting and scouting public land you could show people where the less pressured better places are. I don't think the TPWD would do anything if your just pointing people in the right direction. If all your asking for is gas money and mabey alittle more I thing it's well worth it. Good Luck!

One more time for those of you that don't understand the law. It is illegal for anyone to charge money "OR" receive any type of compensation either in goods or services while taking hunters out on public land. "IF" he bills himself as an outfitter or a hunting guide and even though he is only asking for gas money "THAT" is a violation of the law..... That doesn't mean your buddy can't give you money for gas when you go hunting on public land. it does mean that you can't advertise yourself as a professional outfitter or a guide and receive any type of payment. Now will you get caught? I don't know, maybe?, maybe not? But are you willing to get a citation for violating state game laws and possibly pay a fine and loose your hunting license?

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #2149230 02/28/11 04:17 AM
J
james77351 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Ok would anyone like me to go do some scouting for them on public land? Let me know and maybe you could help me out. I will all so rent you one of my bow stands to hunt out of lol. Its not looking like it is worth the problems with the law. With that being said maybe its time for me to try and round up some private land and do what I love. Thanks for the info guys.
James

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: james77351] #2150055 02/28/11 03:56 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Just do the scouting, make maps, and sell the pictures and maps to your clients.

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: cameron00] #2150110 02/28/11 04:18 PM
B
BigD1836 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Just do the scouting, make maps, and sell the pictures and maps to your clients.

Hmm...do that ^^^ and maybe call yourself a "Public Hunting Consultant"...no guideing involved there 2cents confused2

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #2150269 02/28/11 05:09 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
#1 what you are wanting to do is illegal in TX, #2 sans maybe amistad there's really not enough quality public land in the state to hassle with it, if you really want to pursue this lifestyle change you need to move to one of the western states.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide