Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Leonardo] #2063683 01/27/11 03:21 PM
K
keepitlow Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
OK, already....DEER lease. I need to proof my work a little more. I hope I never have to lease a "DEAR."

Thanks for the input.

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: keepitlow] #2064592 01/27/11 08:28 PM
C
CBHunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Well, they are drilling most of South Texas right now and they've cut seismic grids all over that country. Guess all those deer are going to move to Central Texas or swim across the river. Prices should be dropping drastically in South Texas. I'm holding my breath for that.

Originally Posted by pkpxavier
My wife's only thing is it can't stare at her when she is eating or sleeping!
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: CBHunter] #2065491 01/28/11 01:49 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Have a small bit of oil/gas activity on the ranch. Deer are used to their coming and going. New activity usually only creates a temporary disruption. I had an interesting situation a couple of years ago though. Lease operator had a work-over unit and crew doing a job in a remote area of the ranch. Checking cattle that week, I discovered a 100 yard string of corn down the middle of a lease road. Had a discussion with the operator and the crew became unemployed. He didn't have any idea what "corning" a road meant but his ex-employees did. :-)

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: aeb] #2067257 01/28/11 05:47 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Some articles / studies on the matter:

Quote:
Mule Deer Losses in Wyoming Gas Field Deemed “Unacceptable” by Sportsmen
Recent report documents population losses of 60 percent in 10 years;
no specific action planned by federal government to reverse trend

WASHINGTON – Following the release of a monitoring report documenting steep declines in mule deer numbers on federal public lands in Wyoming’s Upper Green River Basin, the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership is renewing calls for urgent action to conserve important seasonal habitat and arrest the dramatic decline of the prized game species.

Winter home to once-legendary populations of mule deer, the Pinedale Anticline in southwestern Wyoming also hosts one of the nation’s largest producing natural gas fields. The report, prepared by Western Ecosystems Technology Inc., documents a 60-percent decline in mule deer since 2000, when energy development on the anticline began in earnest. Thresholds previously established by the Bureau of Land Management were exceeded in the first year of implementation of a revised Record of Decision, which drastically increased the number of wells allowed and permitted more drilling within typically restricted mule deer crucial winter range.
http://trcp.org/newsroom/pressreleases/17-pressreleases/499-pr-11-10-10.html

Quote:
Study Confirms Negative Impacts of Drilling on Mule Deer
Study Confirms Negative Impacts of Drilling on Mule Deer

Wyoming energy project resulted in staggering losses to important mule deer herd;
sportsmen call for changed approach to public-lands leasing, management

WASHINGTON – A new study documenting the effects of natural gas drilling on mule deer in Wyoming’s Pinedale Anticline reaffirms the dire consequences of poorly planned development for wildlife and sporting opportunities, the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership announced today. Population declines of 30 percent and changes in distribution patterns were documented in phase two of the Sublette Mule Deer Study, which focused on a seven-year period of intense development of the anticline region.

“The fact that we have lost a third of this important mule deer herd is sobering enough,” said Dr. Rollin Sparrowe, TRCP interim board chairman, “yet even sadder is the knowledge that reliance on proper planning and sound science could have averted these losses altogether.

http://trcp.org/newsroom/pressreleases/17-pressreleases/331-pr2009-02-20.html

Last edited by jeh7mmmag; 01/28/11 05:52 PM. Reason: 1

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2067543 01/28/11 07:23 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
IMHO Probably the best stand, if you could do it, would be sitting up on the Monkey Board on the drilling rig. In my past life, at a couple of drilling wells, just at the break of dawn you could see the glowing eyes of the deer standing just outside the rig light circle. Curious little critters!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Hunt n Fish] #2067583 01/28/11 07:36 PM
B
Blakevc27 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
AEB-

Ive had that happen as well, had a 250 plus pound boar shot a couple weeks ago, oilfield gloves laying on top of him. Pulling unit had just left that day and I found him that evening. Didnt see it so hard to lay the blame, but it was over a half mile from county road and property line, but only about 200 yards from the well. Go figure.

blakevc@hotmail.com
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Blakevc27] #2067610 01/28/11 07:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would not look for lease prices to be dropping in South Texas anytime soon. I would think most landowners are not going to want the extra income to pay more taxes. Deer get used to all the activity and learn to adapt very well in a short time. If you have a lease keep it if they are going to lease it again and hope that the neighbors do not lease giving you a better area to hunt and manage with less pressure.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: stxranchman] #2068694 01/29/11 01:07 AM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
if anything, lease prices are going to go up, because there will be a shortage of leases in south texas.

people that depended on the income for a long time are now set...

price per acre in the sweet spots of the eagle ford are going from 2000-8000 per acre. why would they want to mess with $14-$17 per acre for hunting?

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Blakevc27] #2075034 01/31/11 05:35 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Blakevc27
AEB-

Ive had that happen as well, had a 250 plus pound boar shot a couple weeks ago, oilfield gloves laying on top of him. Pulling unit had just left that day and I found him that evening. Didnt see it so hard to lay the blame, but it was over a half mile from county road and property line, but only about 200 yards from the well. Go figure.

As an old company man in my previous life, I can guarantee you that if any of my crews ever did that without landowners permission in writing, and I found out, they wouldn't be working for me again. I did have a couple of LO's bring us a tagged doe and let us cook it in the rig grill (standard equipment), but again we had permission and in each case the LO was there!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Hunt n Fish] #2075673 01/31/11 08:58 PM
T
thegrouse Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I am looking at a rig that just went up in Karnes county now. I am under a tree waiting on the hogs. They have put them up everywhere here. The deer do not seem to mind the noise.

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Leonardo] #2080957 02/02/11 03:16 AM
A
A-BOLT Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
they drill mon us and the dee end to get used to i but you gotta watch the workers they may try to poach

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: aeb] #2134046 02/21/11 11:37 PM
M
Mr.MuleyBuck Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Also have to watch the upkeep traffic (treater trucks and such). They have free reign and nobody watching them.
realmad Down with poachers!!!!!!!

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Mr.MuleyBuck] #2134446 02/22/11 02:02 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Any time you have an increase in traffic there are going to be incidents of theft and poaching.

They can't watch everyone all of the time!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Jimbo] #2144421 02/25/11 10:10 PM
R
RanchoStarvo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Drilling affects cattle operations much more than deer. When cattle sees a truck, they think they are going to get food. Some truckers haul butt through ranches and have killed cattle. When those cattle die, trust me, they are always the "prized steer" with a bloodline that goes back to Bodacious.

The main complaint I get from the surface owner is the water haulers, deck hands and other people leaving gates open, it's just a fact that plagues every single oil and gas lease/unit with production. Many of those guys are contractors hired at a dime a dozen.

We've had problems with poaching this year and even people trying to steal cattle, we know it's related to our O&G operations, but you can't keep track of every single contractor as they may work there for a day, then quit, find another job etc. All you can do is change the lock code so if it's a past contractor then they'll have a hard time getting in.

If you are invested heavily in the lease, then I would get in contact with the surface Landman from the O&G company and get his card. I'm sure the surface owner and the Landman would definitely appreciate it if you report suspicious activity.

No hard feelings to deckhands or water haulers on this board, this is solely from my experience.

Last edited by RanchoStarvo; 02/25/11 10:11 PM.
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Leonardo] #2144623 02/26/11 12:01 AM
Alec Castonguay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
i hope they dont drill on my land

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Leonardo] #2146291 02/26/11 10:55 PM
D
dogo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I don't know about the drilling but those stinking siesmic trucks scare everything off in the freaking county!!!!!

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: aeb] #2146747 02/27/11 02:59 AM
S
Satch Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: aeb
Have a small bit of oil/gas activity on the ranch. Deer are used to their coming and going. New activity usually only creates a temporary disruption. I had an interesting situation a couple of years ago though. Lease operator had a work-over unit and crew doing a job in a remote area of the ranch. Checking cattle that week, I discovered a 100 yard string of corn down the middle of a lease road. Had a discussion with the operator and the crew became unemployed. He didn't have any idea what "corning" a road meant but his ex-employees did. :-)

hunted Bluffdale area, Erath county, three years ago.. poaching was the problem, not the drilling

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Satch] #2147897 02/27/11 07:23 PM
C
Cborden Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I'm a LO in Erath and Hood country and like a previous poster stated.Most landowners only complaint is the gates getting left open because someone is to lazy to get out of their truck to shut it..I can assure you that the deer get use to the traffic..The two biggest deer I've seen in the past three years have both been standing on a pad with water trucks going up and down the road..Hell the deer have gotten so used to my work truck that they don't even pay attention to me anymore..Most of us make to much money to jeoperdize out careers for a deer no matter how big he is..I know there are exceptions..And if your a landowner with oil or gas wells your lease operator can be a big help since they are on your land 7 days a week..And if your a hunter on an oil and gas lease the lease operator more than likely knows where the deer are..I have helped both landowners and hunters throughout the years.

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: keepitlow] #2148532 02/28/11 12:50 AM
P
proudtexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Has anyone noticed problems because of the deer drinking from frac water pond? We have a pond on our lease that has a fence around it but have seen the deer jump it to get to the water. Frac water is contaminated with heavy metals and chemicals but the impact on the deer may not be know for awhile. Was wondering if anyone had any extended experience with a frac pond on their lease.

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: proudtexan] #2150392 02/28/11 05:52 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
Frac water is contaminated with heavy metals and chemicals but the impact on the deer may not be know for awhile.

You frac with fresh water.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: HWY_MAN] #2151511 03/01/11 01:14 AM
P
proudtexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Quote:
Frac water is contaminated with heavy metals and chemicals but the impact on the deer may not be know for awhile.

You frac with fresh water.

HWY_MAN

Fresh water is the main component of frac water, but not the only component. Feel free to Google frac water and check my understanding of the frac'ing process. My only concern is the health of the wildlife on my deer lease.

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: proudtexan] #2151551 03/01/11 01:27 AM
C
Cborden Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Your wrong again..I do this for a living and yes like others have stated that frac pits are only freshwater and nothing else..The Chemicals you speak of are only added when they are pumped downhole.Freshwater is pulled from the pit and the chemicals are pulled from containers at the sametime sand is mixed in to fracture the rocks below the surface.If your deer are drinking from frac pits then they are drinking the same water fish and other wildlife use.If these open pits were so harmful don't you think that the state would have shut them down?Now if you want to talk about the water that comes back up(after the frac) then thats a whole different arguement..BTW news agencies don't tell the whole story..

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Cborden] #2151786 03/01/11 02:31 AM
P
proudtexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: Cborden
Your wrong again..I do this for a living and yes like others have stated that frac pits are only freshwater and nothing else..The Chemicals you speak of are only added when they are pumped downhole.Freshwater is pulled from the pit and the chemicals are pulled from containers at the sametime sand is mixed in to fracture the rocks below the surface.If your deer are drinking from frac pits then they are drinking the same water fish and other wildlife use.If these open pits were so harmful don't you think that the state would have shut them down?Now if you want to talk about the water that comes back up(after the frac) then thats a whole different arguement..BTW news agencies don't tell the whole story..

Cborden,
I apologize for the confusion. I have been attempting to discuss the water removed from the well after the frac.

Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: proudtexan] #2151789 03/01/11 02:33 AM
R
Rhodes 520 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Most frac water comes from lakes, rivers, or other water sources that are brought to the well from sometimes miles away. If you ever see big metal lines running down the side of the road or thru someones property, thats what they're doing. I think your talking about the reserve or flow back pit that are sometimes next to the pad. If so, it ain't spring water in there by any means. But like I said in your other post, most lakes around here have more pollutants and chemicals than whats in there. And I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, I know this because I work for a wireline company and we perforate the well before the frac starts. I handle, use and do what ever else with that water. 2cents

Last edited by Rhodes 520; 03/01/11 02:34 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Drilling on the dear lease [Re: Rhodes 520] #2151867 03/01/11 02:52 AM
P
proudtexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Thanks to everyone for their input. This was the discussion I was hoping for.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide