Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: rifleman] #2132580 02/21/11 06:48 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
My question is what kind of man (for lack of a better term) wakes up everyday and is perfectly fine about his lack of income for the household and trying to merely deceive his wife?

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: landsurveyor] #2132583 02/21/11 06:50 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
I am still trying to recover from a divorce with my wife of seventeen years two years after the fact because of hunting and fishing. you got your work cut out for you.. good luck and i hope it works out for ya

She divorced you because of the outdoors?

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: devildog28] #2132747 02/21/11 01:36 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
no probrably more to it than that, but that is my story and i am sticking to it

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: rifleman] #2132838 02/21/11 02:17 PM
W
wanderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Quote:
not on my part..we have folks offering nice money to get access to public land.

Since it does not show where you live, I am surmising that it ain't Texas, and that you may not be familiar with the way public land here is operated.

In Colorado and many other states, it is perfectly legal and accepted to sell access onto public lands from private.

In Texas, both TP&W and COE make people access the land from controlled access points.

You get caught in those places having accessed it from some place other than one of those controlled points and it won't be fun for the person that day.

Also, on the ones I have been to, vehicle access and use is severly limited or not allowed except in designated areas.

Last edited by wanderer; 02/21/11 02:18 PM.
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: devildog28] #2133022 02/21/11 03:49 PM
J
james77351 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: devildog28
My question is what kind of man (for lack of a better term) wakes up everyday and is perfectly fine about his lack of income for the household and trying to merely deceive his wife?

First off there is not a lack of income from my part. I work my butt of everyday. Second what part of your post is here to help me. If that is as helpful as your going to be then move on. She done not like that everyday I'm off not working I filling my truck up and driving out to the woods just to walk around. I do not need someone calling my work ethic or my role as a provider in to question.
James

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: james77351] #2133071 02/21/11 04:15 PM
S
slow944 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
If you really want to get the strait skinny just call TPW and ask. They will be very helpful and informative on any questions concerning public land in Texas, also all game belongs to the State not the land owner if I'm not mistaken.

I Have A 45 And A Shovel. Don't Mess With Texas!

According To "Kierchof's Law" Murphy Was An Optimist!

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: wanderer] #2133090 02/21/11 04:29 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: wanderer
Quote:
not on my part..we have folks offering nice money to get access to public land.

Since it does not show where you live, I am surmising that it ain't Texas, and that you may not be familiar with the way public land here is operated.

In Colorado and many other states, it is perfectly legal and accepted to sell access onto public lands from private.

In Texas, both TP&W and COE make people access the land from controlled access points.

You get caught in those places having accessed it from some place other than one of those controlled points and it won't be fun for the person that day.

Also, on the ones I have been to, vehicle access and use is severly limited or not allowed except in designated areas.

I am from Tx and how is parking in a bar ditch and walking in to hunt considered a controlled access point? And how do you access public land that is completely surrounded by private that has no public access points?

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: james77351] #2133102 02/21/11 04:38 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: james77351
Originally Posted By: devildog28

First off there is not a lack of income from my part. I work my butt of everyday. Second what part of your post is here to help me. If that is as helpful as your going to be then move on. She done not like that everyday I'm off not working I filling my truck up and driving out to the woods just to walk around. I do not need someone calling my work ethic or my role as a provider in to question.
James

Well you sure as hell didn't say anything before so I took it at face value. If that's the case I know why you drive out into the woods all the time. I would too.

Anyways, guiding on public is kind of frowned upon here. Guides that do it start off with good intentions but as soon as they start losing money because a non-client beats them to a spot they turn into douches. Which brings up another point about showing people your spots. They're just going to come right back to them next weekend.

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: devildog28] #2133172 02/21/11 05:06 PM
J
james77351 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I'm not worried about them going back to the spots. To tell the truth is someone asked me to find them some deer on public land I would do it for free. All I want to do is spend more time out there. Its not about making money its just having a reason to go

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: rifleman] #2133280 02/21/11 06:05 PM
R
redhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
james,

I understand clearly what you are trying to do. I think you should go full speed ahead. you will find a few people every year who will take you up on the offer....since you arnt that conserned with making money, the money you make you can justify easily to your wife as income made by simply walking through the woods and therfore justify the added time away

People need to let up and realize you just want to hunt more, thats all, and perhaps pay for your gas doing it

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: rifleman] #2133288 02/21/11 06:09 PM
W
wanderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Unless you know of something somewhere that I don't know of, All public land in Texas has designated access points.

I am not getting in to an arguement with you, the original poster asked a question.

From my experiences with hunting public lands here in Texas, they all have designated access points.

I have witnessed folks parking in the ditch and accessing parcels on the LBJ Grasslands outside of Decatur, but there was a walk gate or horse gate at that location, and it went straight in to the public land and not across private lands.

TP&W Wildlife Management Areas/Corp of Engineers lands and the Type II hunting areas set up by the state are normally more regulated than say the LBJ stuff.

I just don't think guiding on public land, in Texas at least is a viable situation.

If the op want's to spend more time in the woods, either just do it or change professions.

It sounds however that either of those situations would not be conducive to a long married life or a stable income.

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: wanderer] #2133496 02/21/11 07:54 PM
J
james77351 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Thank you redhunter for the support starting to feel a little bet down. Its all about getting in the woods and it would be great to just get my gas money back

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: james77351] #2133775 02/21/11 09:56 PM
D
daniel25s Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I will be honest in my opinion i do not think it will work.

BUT

Get your butt out there work your butt off at trying to make it a success and if it fails it fails but at least you can say you had a good time and you tried.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m501/daniel25ds/pig6-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Signature Pics to be no larger than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall
Remember when at the bar.........
"Beauty is only a light switch away"
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: Txduckman] #2135457 02/22/11 01:00 PM
T
twice70 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Well KeithTT claims he calls in up to 20 turkeys a day on public. hammer

Is that with or without Buck Crack?

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: twice70] #2135864 02/22/11 04:14 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I think it's worth a try, and don't forget the tax advantages of being self-employed. You'll eventually have to show a profit, but....

I don't make much money guiding (on private land) but the tax advantages sure do help in the long run. If I get my gas paid for, then I call it a success.

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: twice70] #2135876 02/22/11 04:16 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
And 30 squirrels rofl

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: james77351] #2140213 02/24/11 03:22 AM
T
Tx Deer Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I have a lease that I hunt but I like getting out and walk in the woods and see new spots and help other hunters out. More then anything I would like to just get back what I put in for gas. The lease I am on is over 36,000 acres but I have walk holes in all my boots out there. If someone would just pay me back for the gas I would but in all the work. I have a 14ft boat and live by lake livingston but know very little about duck hunting. Its all about the pre hunt for me now on my lease you can't move bow stands you have to hunt by your box stand so I just want to hunt and help other hunters.
James

If you are really on a 36,000 acre lease then why in the hell would you want to guide hunters on PUBLIC land? BTW setting stands or ground blinds on public land is CRAZY unless you are camping and watching your stuff! and you have to remove all traces of your stands after 72 hours that includes NO damage to the tree and NO cutting of surrounding brush or trimming of branches! and if you get caught using any kind of artificial deer attractant other than airborne scent it will get you a hefty fine and you will loose your stands and the right to hunt. OH I almost forgot, you might as well forget about claiming an area to hunt as your own. it is PUBLIC land and you have NO RIGHTS when it comes to other hunters moving in on your area or setting up stands right next to yours argue

Last edited by Tx Deer Hunter; 02/24/11 03:27 AM.
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: james77351] #2140238 02/24/11 03:33 AM
T
Tx Deer Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Well I would only charge 200 for any wight tail I find and put them in the right spot. I have hunted all my live and could find deer in the middle of down town traffic. I'm not going to tell anyone they will kill a deer or tell them there is 190in buck. All I will do is put in the work they my not have the time for. It will be from my stands I will run my cameras find the bucks. I'm not looking to make a ton of money just want to maybe help someone kill a deer.

OMG you have got to be JOKING! you can not scout deer on public land and then charge someone 200 dollars to go out there and kill it! you sir have lost your friggin mind! oh and PLEASE go right ahead and mount those trail cameras for us to find! I need a couple new ones ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #2140871 02/24/11 03:26 PM
T
Tx Deer Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I hate to burst your bubble BUT?

With all of the talk on here about Hunting Guides running hunters on Public Land I decided to e-mail TPWD to see if this was in fact legal. Well according to TPWD it is NOT legal. In the state of Texas if a land owner or their agent wants to lease their land for the purpose of hunting they must obtain a Hunting Lease License from Texas Parks and Wildlife. This permit MUST be displayed either in or on a building ON the property. The license covers both the Land owner or any of his agents ie; hunting guides. Since These guides are using public land their is NO way for them to obtain a Hunting Lease License or display it. So if I read this email right, it is ILLEGAL for professional hunting guides or any guides for that matter to run hunts on public lands here in Texas.

Here is the email I received from TPWD.....

-----Original Message-----
> From: TPWD@prodweb2.tpwd.state.tx.us
> [mailto:TPWD@prodweb2.tpwd.state.tx.us]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:41 PM
> To:
> Subject: Web Site - E-MAIL REPLY REQUESTED - Hunting on Public Lands in Texas
>
>
> *** E-mail reply requested!
>
> Comment or Question:
>
> Is it legal for professional hunting guides to charge money to
> take people hunting on public land like the LBJ grasslands here
> in Texas? also what kind of insurance do these guides need to
> have in case of an accident? Also is there some kind of permit
> these guides need to have in order to do business in Texas?

> From: hunt <hunt@tpwd.state.tx.us>
> Date: February 24, 2011 7:40:17 AM CST
> To:
> Subject: RE: Web Site - E-MAIL REPLY REQUESTED - Hunting
>
> They are unable to do so since they would not be able to that
>since a Hunting Lease license is required of a landowner or
>landowner's agent who leases hunting rights to another person
>on property they own or control for pay or other consideration.
>The license must be displayed on the property.
> The guide is not the landowner or landowner's agent
>since they do not own the property nor lease it since it is
>open to all the public to utilize. They also would not be able
>to acquire a Hunting Lease license due to the open statement.
>

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #2141005 02/24/11 04:26 PM
W
west-tex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Why are you so angry TX Deer hunter????

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: west-tex] #2141196 02/24/11 05:48 PM
T
Tx Deer Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: west-tex
Why are you so angry TX Deer hunter????

who said I was angry? I just did a little checking and found out that you in fact can not as an outfitter or a guide here in Texas run hunters on public land and charge money for it....

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #2142215 02/25/11 12:44 AM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter
oh and PLEASE go right ahead and mount those trail cameras for us to find! I need a couple new ones ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

So you just admited that you would steal someone else's property? That is a real stand up thing to do.

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: outfitting on public land [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #2143354 02/25/11 02:29 PM
T
Tx Deer Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN
Originally Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter
oh and PLEASE go right ahead and mount those trail cameras for us to find! I need a couple new ones ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

So you just admitted that you would steal someone else's property? That is a real stand up thing to do.

It was a joke! HELLO! banana

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #2143528 02/25/11 03:39 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
You seem to be a "Frustrated Hunter", Tx Deer Hunter.

Re: outfitting on public land [Re: cameron00] #2143688 02/25/11 04:49 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Well frustrated or not he got the post an answer, and a correct answer. I read through all of this and would go with what he researched. I mean this guy is wanting to charge people to hunt on public land so he can get his wife off of his back for going to the woods all the time… hopefully he doesn’t have any kids or he would not be spending time with them either. You like woods go to the park with your wife or take her out there with you so she can see how much it means to you. she probably thinks your cheating on her since your gone all the time it really has nothing to do with filing your truck up with gas.

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide