Print Thread
calling on a full moon? #2121100 02/16/11 03:15 AM
C
cannonball Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
im still kinda new to varmint calling, dos a full moon hurt or help you most of the time? i have a hunt planned for this weekend with some close freinds that have never shot yotes before would love to see the boys get a few.

Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: cannonball] #2121139 02/16/11 03:24 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Anything that helps you see is a good thing. It also helps the critters, but as for enjoyment, give me a full moon any time over total darkness.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: Jimbo] #2121210 02/16/11 03:46 AM
B
bscdd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Full moon gives the animal the advantage. You can see better so just think what it does for their sight. Also, when the night is bright there seems to be less movement during the daylight hours.

Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: bscdd] #2121281 02/16/11 04:09 AM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Never had luck on a full moon. Varmint contests are scheduled so there isn't a full moon also. They usually aren't out as much when its a full moon, never had luck calling with one.

Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: cannonball] #2121285 02/16/11 04:10 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Just make sure there is some darkness to your back. Hunting cover and not wide open might help to. If you have a chance to go I would even though its not the best.

Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: Brother in-law] #2121328 02/16/11 04:22 AM
C
cleatas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Just make sure there is some darkness to your back. Hunting cover and not wide open might help to. If you have a chance to go I would even though its not the best.

yeah ^^^

''Tis better to be silent and be THOUGHT a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: cleatas] #2121361 02/16/11 04:31 AM
C
cannonball Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
thanks for the info guys helpfull as always. we will just hide a little better than we normally do at night and hope for the best, it sure bets sitting at the house.

Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: cannonball] #2121364 02/16/11 04:31 AM
C
cleatas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
have fun

''Tis better to be silent and be THOUGHT a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: cleatas] #2121446 02/16/11 05:05 AM
J
Jared Clark Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
all this advice is really good, but to add to it be sure to run the light constantly(always), and run it as fast as you can still being able to see when you pick up eyes. I call in a full moon when the weather is right and I cant say that I have seen a noticable difference in movement than any other moon phase. good luck!

Team ULTIMATE PREDATOR www.ultimatepredatortv.com
CARNIVORE's "Night Crew"
The #1 show on the Pursuit Channel!
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: Jared Clark] #2121679 02/16/11 12:36 PM
R
ragtag Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
i like it dark out but like they said any time you can go is great!

Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: ragtag] #2121685 02/16/11 12:39 PM
B
bassackwards dav Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I have always done better when there is no moon. Full moon calling is slower. IME

bassackwards dav
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: bassackwards dav] #2121821 02/16/11 02:05 PM
T
txvarminter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
It really depends on where you are calling. I've called a lot on a full moon night with some success. They can see better than you at night anyway so with more light (full moon) they can see you even better. I think there are a few things to think about.

1. If you are calling out in far West Texas you are at an advantage because the brush is low an you can get a light in their face soon and keep them blind as they come in. So you can pretty much set up wherever you want.

2. If you are calling out in East Texas You are screwed smile JK You are at a major disadvantage because the area is typically thicker and the animals are going to come in see you and bug out before you have a chance to use the light to blind them. Your best bet is to try to find some open areas that you can park along one side and call out across the open (taking wind into account) making them give you a better chance to blind them without them seeing you first. Of course you are basically giving up one side to use it as cover.

3. If you are in our West Central Texas you are going to have a mix of both to work with.

The key as I have seen it is to get a light in there face FAST and keep it there. One thing that will help is if you have a blind around your rack like some guys do to conceal your movements. If you have a White truck stay home smile called out of a white truck for a few years and if there was a moon we never saw anything. Started hunting out of camo trucks and our numbers increased greatly.

Just my Opinion take it for what it's worth.

www.circle66.com
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
My opinion is go with the fatties!
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: ragtag] #2122177 02/16/11 04:20 PM
S
SKINNER PREDATOR HUNTER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
The dark moon , first quarter,last quarter is the only ones we hunt. It just doesn't make much since to give the predators the edge when you don't half too. After all if they do bust you they are going to be some what leery the next time you call that property. It has been good for some on a full moon but that doesn't seem to be a common thing more of a fluke. I totally understand the get off the couch thing! But you will be more successful having the elements in your favor vs theirs. Good luck Skinner

Facebook @
Take'em Out Predator Productions
www.Takemoutbowfishing.com

Going threw life without loving God is like a dull pencil it has no point
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: SKINNER PREDATOR HUNTER] #2122370 02/16/11 05:37 PM
C
Clay Reid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Calling under the full moon sucks period . I do it but dont like it .

3-time TEXAS COYOTE CALLING CHAMPION
FoxPro Field staff-Predator Division
New Mexico State Champion
Reserve World champion
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: Clay Reid] #2122421 02/16/11 06:14 PM
J
Jared Clark Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
in no way would I say that I am more succesful in a full moon! I think more people need to worry about weather patterns than the moon. animals are going to move when they want to and in my experience the moon doesnt affect that. Its like Clay said, we dont like it but we will hunt it when necessary. we are filming for a tv show coming out this summer and we filmed a full episode worth of clips in a dang near full moon because the weather was right! in no way am I bragging about that fact, but I would rather call in a full moon with a front coming in than no moon with no front! good luck hunting

Team ULTIMATE PREDATOR www.ultimatepredatortv.com
CARNIVORE's "Night Crew"
The #1 show on the Pursuit Channel!
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: Jared Clark] #2122925 02/16/11 10:25 PM
U
UltimatePredator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
I completely agree that the weather dictates animal movement far more than than the moon phases (at least in the areas we primarily hunt). Our best nights are almost always centerted around a cold front and things of that nature. If you hunt in country that gets very little pressure (if any) the animals tend to be much easier to call. As a result, odds are you will have a much higher kill ratio on average per trip than the guy who hunts in areas with much more hunting pressure and overall less number of animals. I make this statement to say this. The guy who hunts in realy good country is more likely to blame a bad night of calling on the moon more than the guy that is challenged by more educated animals. To make it more simple, the hunter who has to figure out ways to continue calling and killing educated coyotes will pay more attention to "all" of the factors (Berometer, temperature, Wind shifts, Fronts, Time of Year, who knows...)that are involed as to the success or lac of success of a hunt more than the guys who is used to killing a truck full of animals on most of their trips because of the country they usualy hunt. The reson behind this, is because he has to to continue to be successful in high pressured ares such as the majority of were we hunt. It would very easy for us to balme a bad night on the moon, but far too many incredible hunts with as big as the moon can get have been made to vest "all" the outcome of a hunt (good or bad) on solely moon phases alone. All while keeping in mind "getting busted" and "animals just not responding" are two completely different things! If they are responding and you are getting busted, that the hunters fault, not the moon. If they are not responding, guess what, the first thing that most guys will tend to blame( if it's out) is the moon. The reality is, we would love to live in an area were its not uncommon to call and kill 20 to 30 animals a night but in this country we are forced to take into account "everything" and not just blame a bad night or two on the first and easiest thing available. Hope this helps you have another perspective when trying to decide when the best time to be out hunt'n is. Sorry for the long post. Take care Chris

Last edited by UltimatePredator; 02/17/11 02:42 AM.

CARNIVORE'S night hunting Professionals!

Only on Pursuit...

www.ultimatepredatortv.com
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: UltimatePredator] #2123323 02/17/11 01:10 AM
C
cannonball Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
thanks for all info again we are going to put the foxpro to work this weekend either way. as long as its not raining hard enough to fry my caller ill let yall know how it gos sunday.

Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: cannonball] #2123364 02/17/11 01:26 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Use a white light, scan fast and constant and dont take it off them when they show. I've killed just as much in dark of the moon as a full when hunting all night. Just like any hunting there will be the "magic hour" when more critters move, if your out when they are you'll do fine.

Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: cmc] #2125309 02/17/11 07:40 PM
F
foxtrot400 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: cmc
Use a white light, scan fast and constant and dont take it off them when they show. I've killed just as much in dark of the moon as a full when hunting all night. Just like any hunting there will be the "magic hour" when more critters move, if your out when they are you'll do fine.

Why a white light?

Troy
Re: calling on a full moon? [Re: foxtrot400] #2125578 02/17/11 09:24 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I like a white light to help keep them from seeing the truck. In my mind it is already bright out and the white light is not as intense and because their eyes are adjusted to the brightness already the red light is dimmer and the white light does not seem as bright. I've just had better luck after seeing critters on full moon nights keeping them coming because they cant see the truck. Seems to me they can kinda see past the red lens a little because it is so bright out. Hope I explained that well enough. I have even used both on full moon nights that would get cloudy and then clear out. Remember the idea of the light is not just for you to see them but to keep them from seeing you.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide