Page 1 of 2 1 2
no ticky, no washy #2117077 02/14/11 09:18 PM
M
MELackey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
for those of you that own your own place (or have family land), what is your expectation of weekend guests?

Here's my deal... Our place is family land. Technically, my wife is an equal owner, but it is really my in-laws place. Every year, we have a list of tasks that need to be completed, usually ongoing things like brush management / control, erosion control, etc, along with the usual hunting work with stands, feeders, etc.

I HAVE to get the work done at some point, and you can only make so many trips out there. We try to go about once a month during the off-season. Many of our friends would like to go and ask us to invite them. We love the company, and enjoy having guests out there - BUT, there is still work to be done.

When you have guests, is it considered fair to expect that they are willing to help with a few of the chores in exchange for having some fun? I'm not talking about working from daylight to dark, I'm talking about working a few hours at most, generally wrapping it up by lunch time on Saturday, then goofing off all weekend.

The deal now is that I've invited long-time friends. I'm talking friends since 4th grade with one and 6th grade with the other. Well, one friend called me yesterday and told me that the other one was mouthing off about how busy he has been at work, and he just wants a weekend off, so he's not planning on doing any physical work next weekend. Seriously, we all have office jobs. It's not like we've been digging ditches all week and are dog tired. Oh, and this guy is the first one to want to crank up the ATV's for a joyride once he gets there.

So, I'll see how this weekend goes, but I have a feeling that one of these jokers is about to take his last trip out there with me.

What do you guys think? Is it fair to expect a little help with things in exchange for a weekend of fun?

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: MELackey] #2117094 02/14/11 09:23 PM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
It's more than fair to expect work out of them. They don't work they don't go.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: preston629] #2117106 02/14/11 09:28 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
C
As long as they know the drill before leaving (Get R Done). up

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: preston629] #2117111 02/14/11 09:28 PM
M
MELackey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
let me say, I'm not talking back breaking work. I'm talking walking through a pasture with a carbide bladed weedeater knocking down cedar saplings, helping paint deetstands, filling feeders, etc, etc. And like I said, generally no more than 3 or 4 hours at the most on a weekend. I like to have fun also, the last thing I want to do is work all weekend - which is what I need to do when no one goes with me.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: MELackey] #2117128 02/14/11 09:34 PM
S
silentex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I'm invited to my good friend's family land on a regular basis. I am expected to work and am happy to do so.

Justin H.

NSC: Firearms & Hunting Supplies
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: MELackey] #2117134 02/14/11 09:35 PM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I have a ranch and it is endless on the things that can be done. I have what we call "Boys Weekend." I have the type of guests that always ASK what needs to be done and they all help fill feeders, work cattle and anything that needs to be done. We usually work half a day on Friday then enjoy the weekend to the MAX.......

Might be time to find some new friends that appreciate the things that you bring to the table or simply state that these things need to be done then after they are completed lets enjoy the weekend!

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: TRIJI....WHAT] #2117142 02/14/11 09:37 PM
B
BigD1836 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Perfectly reasonable. In fact, when I am a guest, I would ask my buddy if anything needs to get done or if there is anything I can help him with.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: BigD1836] #2117181 02/14/11 09:53 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
If you have known these guys since elementary school I would think you would be comfortable with telling them exactly what you think. That is what I would do if it came time to work and your bud decided he had to rough of a week behind his desk.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: TxTechsan] #2117296 02/14/11 10:39 PM
C
craige Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: TxTechsan
If you have known these guys since elementary school I would think you would be comfortable with telling them exactly what you think. That is what I would do if it came time to work and your bud decided he had to rough of a week behind his desk.

X2

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: craige] #2117352 02/14/11 11:07 PM
C
crease_flounder Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
If they're the kind of folks that you have to ask to help out, they're probably the wrong folks to take out there.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: crease_flounder] #2117409 02/14/11 11:28 PM
H
Hunter30 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I had the same thing happen to me this year with a good friend. He had been coming to the lease with me many times over the last couple of years. He killed a good buck, doe, pigs, coyote, any many doves on multiple trips. And he also went many times and did not pay a dime for food or even his own beer because he was out of work. I did not mind any of this because I enjoyed hanging out with him. Then during Dove season this year he was complaining to another friend of mine saying he came here to hunt not to work. That was the last straw. I haven't spoken to him since dove season and have no plans to do so. Some people just are not appreciative and I can't stand it. I have other friends that beg me to take them in the off season so they can help. They know when they help they get to come back and shoot something during the season.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: MELackey] #2117420 02/14/11 11:31 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sounds like you need new friends, thats why I cut some of mine off popcorn

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: 7mag] #2117449 02/14/11 11:39 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If they want to play they must pay. popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: MELackey] #2117585 02/15/11 12:23 AM
Longhorn95 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Hey Buuuddddyyy! I'll even sleep in the Aggie bed grin rofl

I completely understand your plight. It's a give and take scenario and like stxranchman says the cliche of you have to pay to play applies.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: MELackey] #2117615 02/15/11 12:36 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: MELackey
for those of you that own your own place (or have family land), what is your expectation of weekend guests?

Here's my deal... Our place is family land. Technically, my wife is an equal owner, but it is really my in-laws place. Every year, we have a list of tasks that need to be completed, usually ongoing things like brush management / control, erosion control, etc, along with the usual hunting work with stands, feeders, etc.

I HAVE to get the work done at some point, and you can only make so many trips out there. We try to go about once a month during the off-season. Many of our friends would like to go and ask us to invite them. We love the company, and enjoy having guests out there - BUT, there is still work to be done.

When you have guests, is it considered fair to expect that they are willing to help with a few of the chores in exchange for having some fun? I'm not talking about working from daylight to dark, I'm talking about working a few hours at most, generally wrapping it up by lunch time on Saturday, then goofing off all weekend.

The deal now is that I've invited long-time friends. I'm talking friends since 4th grade with one and 6th grade with the other. Well, one friend called me yesterday and told me that the other one was mouthing off about how busy he has been at work, and he just wants a weekend off, so he's not planning on doing any physical work next weekend. Seriously, we all have office jobs. It's not like we've been digging ditches all week and are dog tired. Oh, and this guy is the first one to want to crank up the ATV's for a joyride once he gets there.

So, I'll see how this weekend goes, but I have a feeling that one of these jokers is about to take his last trip out there with me.

What do you guys think? Is it fair to expect a little help with things in exchange for a weekend of fun?

If they're planning on getting to hunt later then expecting them to help a little ain't a problem. If they are in fact quests then I would never ask nor expect them to help. They are my guest's.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: MELackey] #2117702 02/15/11 01:13 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When you own land, a boat, a cabin in the mountains or lake house, or any recreational venue. It comes with a lot of "baggage". You have to either deal with it or you will screw yourself over.

Better set the rules at the beginning, it won't take long to find out who appreciates it and who doesn't. Some will go along for the ride and work harder than you do, others will just go along for the ride.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: dogcatcher] #2117778 02/15/11 01:44 AM
S
SemperFiHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I have been on both sides of that fence. There were times when I would do anything to help someone who would let me hunt later, and I always made it a point to outwork everybody else.

Then, there was the 4 year period when my rich brother (self-made, by the way) owned a ranch of about 650 acres. He made the payments, and enjoyed the place. I took care of all the horses, cattle, roads, barns, feeders, stands, etc... to earn my keep. I also ran heavy equipment and built new roads, ponds, clearings, etc...

I don't think I have ever had more "friends" than when I had the privilege of having free reign on that ranch.

Had a couple of good friends that would work their tail off to earn their keep, and they were always welcome come deer season.

Had many more "friends" that were turds when it came to work, but were more than happy to come on down in Nov.

Being in that position will really open your eyes as to who your real friends are, and to the rest.

A good friend is like a good horse, you don't have to force it out of them, they give it freely.

As long as this post is, I guess this one would have to be my...
3 cents!

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: dogcatcher] #2117833 02/15/11 02:02 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
When you own land, a boat, a cabin in the mountains or lake house, or any recreational venue. It comes with a lot of "baggage". You have to either deal with it or you will screw yourself over.

Better set the rules at the beginning, it won't take long to find out who appreciates it and who doesn't. Some will go along for the ride and work harder than you do, others will just go along for the ride.

X2

🍻
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #2118803 02/15/11 12:18 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
At first I give folks the benefit of the doubt, since many don't realize the work required to keep a place up. The first time or two out they really are just guests. But, if people are aware that there's work to be done, and still only want to show up when it's time to pop a top or shoot something that's a different story.

Good friends will realize all the opportunities you're providing them, and probably the cost involved, and readily pitch in. Free loaders will always seek a way to dodge work and mysteriously only be available once it's fun time. In my experience, it's been the same whether it's a ranch, a lease, a boat, etc. As has been said, all about finding the right type.

If you've known these guys that long, I'd feel free to mention to them that there's some upkeep involved to keep the place as fun as it is. If they still don't volunteer or show up, well, then you've got your answer.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: HWY_MAN] #2118908 02/15/11 01:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: MELackey

If they're planning on getting to hunt later then expecting them to help a little ain't a problem. If they are in fact quests then I would never ask nor expect them to help. They are my guest's.

That is my take. If you are clear in the invite that you are going there to get some work done and they take you up on it,fine. Those that hunt with me on my place are expected to work with me in the offseason and gladly do so. I do not expect other recreational guests to work and would not ask them to.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2118936 02/15/11 01:56 PM
B
big l Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
i agree with putting it all out in front of my guest before proceeding, (whats expected and whats in return) heck i'll go give you a hand, i don't want a hunt in return, i just enjoy being out there absorbing it all and making new friends are making an old friendship better. some folks always have to have something in return---my opinion, thats whats wrong with this world now, what happened to just good ole comrodary(?)

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: big l] #2119135 02/15/11 03:10 PM
D
Dry Fire Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Half the fun of going to a lease, is the work. I enjoy it, except the part about driving t-posts.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: big l] #2119145 02/15/11 03:13 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I say if they are coming then they should work(provided they know what they are getting into) The group of guys I still run with from college all work. We try and go to each others places in an alternating fashion, do some work and have some fun, fill feeders, set up new stands, clear brush etc... You will either work or watch use work. If you watched us work then I hope you enjoyed it because you will never be back.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: redchevy] #2119178 02/15/11 03:26 PM
M
MELackey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
yeah, the driving t-posts sucks. Thankfully we haven't had to do that in a while.

Re: no ticky, no washy [Re: MELackey] #2120746 02/16/11 01:49 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
If I invite someone as a guest their not expected to do anything unless they just want to.Most of the friends that I have though would never come to the land without food,Beer,or some Crown and usually get up earlier than I do,just looking for something to work on.Good guys all of them!

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide