Print Thread
Why? #2075933 01/31/11 10:12 PM
C
cletusbodeen Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Hope this is the right forum to put this in.

Why would someone be searching and looking hard for a lease, when they don't have the cash in hand to pay for the lease?

Why would you go look at a lease and waist someone elses time and money, if you don't have cash in hand to pay for the lease?

These are just some questions I have. I have seen this happen many times and it has always bugged me. If I'm looking for a lease or being shown a lease I want to have the money to pay for it right then so that I don't miss out on my chance. If I go see a lease and don't like it I can always take my money home with me. Sorry for being long winded. Carry on as usual cheers

NRA Life Member
Re: Why? [Re: cletusbodeen] #2075945 01/31/11 10:16 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I think that some guys look and then confirms with group and collects, I see no problem looking and if you want it leave a deposit for the week and go home and collect from the group, but I am sure it is better to have it all, but I don't like carrying 20 to 25 thousand cash in my pocket, I don't believe land owners want checks. Just my .02

Re: Why? [Re: BMD] #2075956 01/31/11 10:21 PM
E
elliscountyhog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
A deposit is best with a time frame to original payment to leave or atleast enough to cover 1 spot on the total lease that way if you for some reason cant find the hunters or change of heart it can be leased again and possibly recovere your deposit.

Re: Why? [Re: elliscountyhog] #2075988 01/31/11 10:31 PM
C
cletusbodeen Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I'm ok with leaving a deposit. That's not a problem. I guess what irritates me is not having any money for a deposit or any money at all. What's the point of looking for a lease until you have the money to pay for one?

I don't look for a lease or advertise I need a lease unless I have the money to pay at least half my spot or all of my spot.

I'm not talking about for a group but for an idividual.

NRA Life Member
Re: Why? [Re: cletusbodeen] #2076000 01/31/11 10:35 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
No if I was going to look at a spot not a entire lease I would absolutely have the cash

Re: Why? [Re: BMD] #2076639 02/01/11 01:44 AM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
When I got back on one last year, I had a check ready in my wallet when I went out to look. No sense in going to look if your not prepared to pull the trigger.

Re: Why? [Re: Chuck McDonald] #2076897 02/01/11 02:41 AM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Why go look at cars and not pay for them right there? Just because someone is not desperate enough to have cash in hand the second they view a property, does not mean they are wasting someone's time.

If you want to show a property and expect cash in hand, then tell them up front. I bet you'll have less people wasting your time then.

Maybe, just maybe, they had the cash but did not like the lease, you know, "It's a beautiful spot, but I am not sure I can afford it" might simply mean, "The land may be good, but I don't know for sure and I'll blame it on the money rather than keep the sales pitch going"... just guessing here.

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Why? [Re: JohnRussell] #2077038 02/01/11 03:11 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
If someone wants to look at your lease just ask do you have access to the money for the lease. I personally would not waste anyones time if I did not have the money in the bank for the lease. Your or my time. However, to each their own.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Why? [Re: JohnRussell] #2077072 02/01/11 03:17 AM
W
wanderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Leasing land for deer hunting is not the same as window shopping at a car dealer.

Having gained some experience with this process over the past couple of years, taking time out of your day to drive people around a piece of property, and then have them leave you hanging for several days sometimes gets old.

If a person is really interested ion seeing a place, they either need to have deposit money in their pocket, or be ready to be up front and explain that day, why they are not interested.

It is when they leave and say, "Well I will talk to my buddies and get back to you in a couple of days".

They don't confirm anything, they just leave you guessing for those days, if they get back to you.

Meanwhile another group contacts you to see the lease, like it and are ready to hand you money.

What do you do then?

One group has looked and says they will get back to you, the second group has money in hand, yet you are in a bind, because you don't want to lease the place out from under the first group, so you stand to lose on both counts.

The first group decides they are not interested after their 2 or 3 day cooling off period, and the group with the money finds someone ready to deal with them.

So yoiu are left with the property, or ypou go ahead and deal with the folks that had cash ion hand and get a bad reputation from the guys that hesitated.

If you look at a place and don't like it, simply say so, it ain't gonna hurt the gfeelings of person that has the property to lease, just don't say we will get back to you.

Many times, a rancher/land owner/lease manager may have two or three groups wanting to view a lease on the same weekend, how do you deal fairly with everyone?

It is one thing to look at the situation from just one side of the equation.

When you get the chance to view it from both sides, things are not as cut and dried as many think.

Re: Why? [Re: wanderer] #2077743 02/01/11 12:07 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Looking for anything, lease or car or whatever, is exactly what the buyer wants it to be. The problem is not setting down expectations prior to showing them the land.

If you want people to have money in hand, tell them "only serious inquiries". Tell them to bring a deposit or pay expenses for showing the land.

I guarantee you will get less people wanting to "see" the land.

I have leased numerous times and looked at a lease only to find that one side is high fenced when I got there, which was asked on the phone. Did I buy? No, but I was up front when I called and stated I wanted to look only. If they did not have the time for that, then I said elsewhere and thanked them for their time.

I mean, if someone expects me to lease land or buy a car sight unseen, they are out of their mind.

One place I leased in Coleman County, they claimed "large bucks, mucho deer..blah blah blah". When I leased it, I was the only one that saw the deer, the people on it never got along with the guy leasing it out and there were fights over corn etc all the time, turned out I was the only one actually paying the corn and protein feed costs, so.. I get to meet the person leasing it in real life and the land etc before I commit.

So, yea.. if someone told me to bring cash or keep walking, I'd say thanks and keep walking, but if ya did not ask, well.. not the buyer's fault. Irritating, I agree, but not their fault, well, except they may be irritating people wink

Telling them up front that you require a deposit to show is dealing with them fairly.

Getting mad because they wasted your time when they decided it was not for them, has nothing to do with fair. We have no idea if the person that saw the land had money and lied because they did not like the lease for whatever reason or the day of the week.. heh

R

Last edited by JohnRussell; 02/01/11 12:09 PM.

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Why? [Re: JohnRussell] #2077792 02/01/11 12:49 PM
W
wanderer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Quote:
Getting mad because they wasted your time when they decided it was not for them, has nothing to do with fair.

I re-read my post and don't see anywhere, where I said anything about getting mad, maybe I missed something.

We have no problem showing folks a place without requiring any money for anything, because we are aware that the places or openings we have may not be for everyone.

As I tried to explain, and guess I did not do it well, is when you show a place to foot draggers, on say Saturday one week and they like the looks of the place, but they have to talk it over with their other members.

Then, the next weekend we show it to another party, because the foot draggers ain't got back to us, and this group says they will take the place that day, but to be fair, we have to put them off, because we ain't heard from the first group yet.

We end upooking like jerks on both counts.

First, we are giving the first group a chance to make a decision, then we are telling folks with cash in hand that another group has expressed interest in the place, but we have not heard back from them yet.

The group with the cash goes home and looks for another place, then the first group calls and says that they can't take the place or don't want it.

Or we lease the place to the group with the cash, and the first group calls back and says they will take the place, and we have leased it out from under them.

People complain that lease prices are too high, then they complain about how uncaring the folks that have the places to lease are.

It would be best for everyone concerned if when calling someone about leasing a place, there were some basic questions asked, the first one being price.

If that figure is above what the person looking is wanting to pay, then the best thing would not be to set up an appointment to look at that property.

There always seems to be a few folks out there that like doing fishing trips, and just going around the country trying to see what other people are offering so they can compare it to what they may already have.

Don't know what generated the comment about me getting mad, because I wasn't.

I just don't believe it is too much to ask/expect people setting up appointments to see a place to take on a little responsibility, and show up ready to do the deal if they like or want the place, instead of leaving things up in the air, especially when other fpolks will be looking at the same property.

Last edited by wanderer; 02/01/11 12:50 PM.
Re: Why? [Re: wanderer] #2078082 02/01/11 02:45 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
When I have showed my lease to new folks I have had some write me a check right then, but I have also had some say they wanted to think about it. For those that want to think, some just have a hard time being up front in person saying that is not what they are looking for. When I get someone that wants to "think about it" I generally give about a two day window and then cross them off and move on to the next person. I will give them a deadline, let them know it isn't going to hurt my feelings or make me want to hunt them down and kill them if they say no, and if I don't hear anything by the deadline then I take it as their way of saying no. But if you are looking and you know what the cost will be before you go look at it then I don't understand why someone wouldn't be ready to pay at that time.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide