Print Thread
Predator calls #2049462 01/23/11 08:57 PM
L
Lawki Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
OK - I have question for everyone and sure it will spark alot of debates. Which is better, electronic call or mouth calls?

Know I am all for technology and eletric calls for their near life like calling ability and their ease of use. Most of them are put batteries in it and press a button on the remote to produce the call you want.

On the other hand, mouth calls are very good too cause there are no batteries to worry about and can be used at anytime with out worry if the batteries are going out or if the button(s) dont work, etc. Their only draw back is practice practice practice to make it work right.

I am looking for some help from those that have used both or either type and can give some insight into this very difficult decision. Electronic or mouth call, which one?

Get a Rope!
Re: Predator calls [Re: Lawki] #2049537 01/23/11 09:20 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Hand calls are cheaper, and they aren't that hard to learn. Electronic calls will get the sound out away from YOU, so if you're fidgity like me, you may not get busted as easy. I've got both and will use both occasionally, but I prefer electronic most of the time. I'm getting old and it's hard to sit in one spot for very long. Plus, you can put a decoy out with your caller too, and make it a little more realistic looking/sounding.
That's my 2 cents, exactly what it's worth too. (ok, maybe it ain't worth that much)

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Predator calls [Re: Lawki] #2049761 01/23/11 10:41 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Ive seen days where animals would respond to one but not the other. I prefer electric but can do both. Its a ford/chevy when it comes down to it.

Re: Predator calls [Re: Brother in-law] #2050368 01/24/11 01:35 AM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Nothing but mouth calls for me. I tried a few electronic callers from time to time but I'll get more in with a mouth call.

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: Predator calls [Re: Brother in-law] #2050389 01/24/11 01:38 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Ive seen days where animals would respond to one but not the other. I prefer electric but can do both. Its a ford/chevy when it comes down to it.

Friends don't let friends drive Chevy, and they shouldn't let friends use electronic calls. Using an electronic is like hunting high fence deer. rofl

Back to reality, use what you have, if you are just starting out and not sure if predator hunting is for you, go cheap, a couple of hand calls and some camo you are in business. If you are already a predator hunter, you will at sometime spend the big bucks for electronics. They make it a lot easier, it takes some of the pressure off of the hunter to be still so the chance of being busted by scent and movement is less. Save your money, buy one the better units to start with. There are several good units on the market, do your homework and buy the best for you not for someone else.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Predator calls [Re: dogcatcher] #2050746 01/24/11 02:51 AM
K
Kelly223 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Dogcatcher. I would like to try some of your calls.

Re: Predator calls [Re: Kelly223] #2058673 01/26/11 02:28 AM
L
Lawki Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
ok well the budget did not allow for an electric call so I went to Gander and found an Ed Scerry Variable Predator Call at a bargin price. Now I am not an expert caller by any means, shoot I am just getting started and this is my first call but I figured it was well worth the deal and with time I will be able to use it very well. I have been practicing with it and can do a cottontail in distress call and a rodent sqeak. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to put that practice into use and see what I can call in.

Get a Rope!
Re: Predator calls [Re: Lawki] #2058695 01/26/11 02:34 AM
Mr Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Lawki
ok well the budget did not allow for an electric call so I went to Gander and found an Ed Scerry Variable Predator Call at a bargin price. Now I am not an expert caller by any means, shoot I am just getting started and this is my first call but I figured it was well worth the deal and with time I will be able to use it very well. I have been practicing with it and can do a cottontail in distress call and a rodent sqeak. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to put that practice into use and see what I can call in.

Good luck Lawki, post pics.

Re: Predator calls [Re: Mr Redneck] #2059259 01/26/11 05:03 AM
G
GravyWheels Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Gotta go mouth call. Gets more "feeling" into it like a real animal.

Dave

Re: Predator calls [Re: GravyWheels] #2072936 01/30/11 11:24 PM
L
Lawki Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Well as Murphy's Law would have it, I was not as productive at getting the ability to go out and hunt with the calls as I would have hoped. We got our tax return this weeklend and we decided to spend some of it.

Saturday was filled with shopping in Dallas and Mesquite at deaprtment stores for cloths for the kids and wife, while I tried to find a deal at Dick's Sporting Goods. No luck at the sporting goods store, but the klids and wife made out like bandits.

Sunday (today) was filled with scoring a major deal on a new shed that we had to pick up immediately to be able to get the deal. a 10X14 metal gable roof shed for 250. I was able to finally get out to where we hunt and took my son with me. I think we scared away more than we called in but he had fun using the call and it was time well spent even if it was a short.

On another note, we were going to remove a pipe feeder for hogs, until we looked around and found some very large holes and big areas tore up by hogs. I had my son check them and they were still damp where the hogs had rooted up the ground so they must have been there last night after not showing up for months. Guess it is time to get some more corn in the pipe feeder and get back out there and put some meat in the freezer.

Get a Rope!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide