Print Thread
Hunting Hogs at Night #2064447 01/27/11 07:42 PM
P
papa45 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
My hunting lease has quite a few hogs, but they're nearly 100% nocturnal. I've taken several right at first light in the morning, but rarely much later. I want to hunt them at night. I have a good rifle-mounted light that works well out to 50 yards or so, but before I turn on the light, I need to know there's something out there to shoot at. I have two questions:

1. Is night-time hog activity influenced by moon phase? Are they more active with no moon, full moon (I can see better), or does it matter?

2. I know they don't see well, but are they less afraid of white, red, or green light?

A couple guys on my lease have tried feeder-mounted lights of various colors with no success. I don't really want to mess with those if I don't have to.

Thanks for any ideas you can share with me.

Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: papa45] #2064492 01/27/11 07:56 PM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
Moon phase doesnt make a difference theyre moving no matter what the moon is like. And you got there eye sight all wrong they can see very well and the same goes for there hearing and smell. I was on a hog a few weeks back on a wide open pasture, the moon was full and I had the wind in my favor and I was not making a sound he was working his way right at me and he froze up and started starring right at me. I kneeled down to get my optics mounted and that joker was gone just as fast as he came in. If theyre at the feeder your only option is night optics or lights without em your gonna be blind.

Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: papa45] #2064499 01/27/11 07:58 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I always hate to be the first to answer, especially if I don't "really" know what I'm talking about, but that don't stop me!

I figure they're hogs and they love corn so they'll come to the feeder sometime. I doubt if moon phase affects them much.

I haven't tried it yet but I bought some of those bells that you put on fishing rods, I'm gonna mount them to the feeder so when the bell rings I know when to get ready and flip the light on. Also to wake me up in case I'm dozin when they show up.

I figure they just go from one feeder to the next like turkeys do so I'm going to put out several game cams and see if I can pattern them.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2064534 01/27/11 08:12 PM
Z
ZenArchery Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Z
ive spent the last year on the ground chasing these notorious hogs. to answer your question in summery from my experience:

a). If there are signs of hogs they are usually going to be coming in groups/sounders. Thus being the case you will hear them before seeing them. Even at 50 yards unless the wind is ridiculous.
b). As for lights. There are different arguments. Red is good but once a group becomes educated to it they learn pretty quickly. I honestly don't think they see the light, they see shadows moving. That being the case. Beam your light high above the hogs and SLOWLY work your way down onto the porkers. This works best if they are not facing you. Even then occasionally they will sense something and blow out of there.
c). If you are truly serious about night time hunting go night vision would be my suggestion.
d). Some swear by a common light source from a long distance 20-30 yards (feeder lights) work, but the problem is you are stuck having to work the hogs only when they are at the feeder. Thus the reason for Night Vision. When they won't cooperate with feeder. You go after them.
e). Finally, I do have one feeder but what I have learned in the last 9 months. Though hogs will come to the feeder regularly. HOGS DO NOT HAVE A PATTERN. Except that they circle around. They'll be around for a while. Then disappear. Then eventually return.
f). As for moon pattern. On my specific property I see less hogs between full moon and first quarter.

again this is all personal experience. but hogs are notorious in their ability to adapt, learn and have no real pattern. hope this helps

Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: ZenArchery] #2065078 01/27/11 11:29 PM
T
Thermal Dog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Like the others this is my experience:

I wanted the hogs to get use to the lights without being startled. Hence I went to lowes and bought a cheap solar powered light ($32) and duct tapped it on a T-post ($4). It doesnt last all night but they got use to it when it is on (based on nightly trail cam pics). Oh yeah, I painted the lens green using a permanent green marker, inside and out.

What ever night i show up to hunt i also bring along a cheap ($5) 6 volt flashlight with the lens painted green inside and out, including the silver reflective part. I tape this to the T-post just incase my Solar light dies while I'm in the blind (the flashlight will last all night with fresh battery).

Next I bought a bow mounted spotlight from hawglite (marauder) which comes with red, green, and white. I prefer the green. They also sell a rifle attachment but i just zip tie it to my .30-30 if i use a rifle. At this point the hogs are use to my green lights. Whether with a moon or not you can see them now under your feeder and around. Aim your rifle at them, turn on the light and shoot. Yes they might startle a bit with the introduction of a new light but my experience shows it to be minimal. JUST KEEP YOUR MOVEMENT TO A MINIMUM.

My biggest cost was the spot light (around $140) but worth it. I have used other million candle light powered spotlights but they don't work for me, too bright, they run off.

Hopefully this helps.

Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: Thermal Dog] #2065117 01/27/11 11:47 PM
C
CoyoteSlayer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
If you are regularly taking shots from 50 yards or closer, you may want to consider using open sights and a gun mounted flashlight. They will make shots where the hogs are running much easier, but if you regularly shoot past fifty yards you should definitely stick with a scope. (Assuming you are not already using open sights)

Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: CoyoteSlayer] #2065133 01/27/11 11:53 PM
T
Thermal Dog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: CoyoteSlayer
If you are regularly taking shots from 50 yards or closer, you may want to consider using open sights and a gun mounted flashlight. They will make shots where the hogs are running much easier, but if you regularly shoot past fifty yards you should definitely stick with a scope. (Assuming you are not already using open sights)

Great point, my recommendation was based on my blind being 25 yards away and shooting a .30-30 with open sights.

Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: Thermal Dog] #2065177 01/28/11 12:07 AM
B
billy gordon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I have my stand 80 yards from my feeder with lights at the feeder and when i get hogs or hog on my camera pointing at the feeder i go out and usually shoot one or two.Alot of times is a lone boar just hanging around.

Billy Gordon
Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: Thermal Dog] #2065178 01/28/11 12:07 AM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Can you see your open sights at night?

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: poisonivie] #2065189 01/28/11 12:10 AM
B
billy gordon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I would hate too.

Billy Gordon
Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: poisonivie] #2065261 01/28/11 12:38 AM
T
Thermal Dog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Can you see your open sights at night?

Yeah in reality I think I'm about 17-20 yards from the feeder. The hawglight puts out enough light that I can see my open sights very clear.

Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: poisonivie] #2065594 01/28/11 02:12 AM
Z
ZenArchery Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Z
absolutely not. Full moon. You can but any other time nope.

Re: Hunting Hogs at Night [Re: ZenArchery] #2066337 01/28/11 08:20 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
we slay em by drivin around at night with a spotlight and shootin em when we see em.... but thats just my style...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide