Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,374
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Texas Proud] #2053136 01/24/11 09:08 PM
30378 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Age has very little to do with it. How well does he understand what a mistake with a gun can bring? How well does he understand the overall impact to a family death? How well established is his maturity to such issues?

NRA Benefactor Life Member - Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry a firearm.
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: 30378] #2053230 01/24/11 09:37 PM
J
joefrank Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
At birth. Keep it locked up til he is big enough to handle safely. Work with him regularly if he is interested. Teach him all the safety factors. Take him hunting with you and let him carry his empty gun. In time you decide when he is ready.

hunt today- tomorrow might not happen
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: joefrank] #2053257 01/24/11 09:45 PM
T
thegrouse Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Both of my boys got them the week they were born. We are still working the way up through the BB guns right now.

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2053357 01/24/11 10:12 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
IMO There is no special age. Before a kid gets their own gun they should...

Be able to hold and shoot a (the) gun without any help.

Show that they know and understand basic firearms safety.

And be old enough to understand what dead means, and that dead is dead there's no second chances.

X2

I was hunting with a BB gun at age 4 and moved on to a pellet gun at 5. Started shooting Daddy's 30-30 with his supervision at 6 and killed my first deer at 7(again,with him right there). However, that was a LONG time ago and things were much different- kids grew up outside and Dads spent alot of time hammering in the basics. Many kids today are not like that and many Dads don't have/take the time on safety and gun handling our fathers did. I think for most kids the ages for a first real rifle have gone up simply due to the changes in the times we live in. I waited until my girls were about 10 or 11. But each situation is different and only you know if the time is right for your kid. Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: o2bwest] #2053364 01/24/11 10:13 PM
B
Bannon Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
x2

"There is a ballistic solution to most problems"

NRA Endowment Life Member
Gulf Coast Friends of NRA Charter Member
TSRA Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Charter Member
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: o2bwest] #2053801 01/25/11 12:27 AM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: o2bwest
Depends on the kid... And the parent.

Got a 8 yr. old grandson that's not ready.

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: scattergun] #2054082 01/25/11 01:41 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
i started off with a bb gun as soon as i could walk.

got a .22 at age 5 and wore that sucker out too.

shotgun at age 8, first deer rifle at 10.

didn't think it was too early but not too late either

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2054723 01/25/11 03:41 AM
S
snakebyte922 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
i think i was either 6 or 7 when my dad gave me my first gun and began teaching me gun safety, gun safety was always a major priority, if we broke 1 rule we lost the use of our weapon for 6 weeks.

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Texas Proud] #2054732 01/25/11 03:42 AM
P
prohunter2011 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
9 years old good age

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: prohunter2011] #2054918 01/25/11 04:26 AM
B
Bannon Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Gave some more thought to it. I'm 58 now and can't even remember when I started shooting. Sometime around 5. My family always had shotguns and they were always loaded. They were tools and treated with constant respect. I just took to it naturally. I now have a son who is 21 and an accomplished hunter, shooter, and CHL Holder. I always had guns around him. The first time he asked me about them (I think he was 3) I stopped what I was doing and set down on the floor with him and started talking to him about them. I did everything I could to "de-mistify" guns. I told him that anytime he wanted to know anything about them or look at them, or touch them he could just ask I explained the tremendous power and responsibility that comes with the gun. We went over the destructive power and I took him out and showed him what a gun was capable of. I took a gallon jug and shot it with a shotgun to demonstrate. He didn't like the noise so I learned he needed ear protection early on. All this took place over a period of about 3 years and he was shooting his own .22 by age 6. He started shotgun at about 8. I can't describe the bond I have with my son because I took the time to build such a great foundation with him. If I never do anything else in my life I can be proud of this one thing.

"There is a ballistic solution to most problems"

NRA Endowment Life Member
Gulf Coast Friends of NRA Charter Member
TSRA Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Charter Member
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Bannon] #2054921 01/25/11 04:28 AM
482camaro Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
depends on the kid and how many zombies you have running around.

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2055470 01/25/11 01:51 PM
M
Mfloski Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Great post....my son is almost 4 and I can't wait to get him started, this thread made me think about the whole thing and make sure it's the right time for him and not dad!

Free men own guns...Slaves don't!
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Mfloski] #2055631 01/25/11 02:33 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Man I here all these stories about bein 3 and 4 and gettin your first gun!

Most kids are still dumpin in their pants, and dont know enough words to ask about a gun at that age. I think there is almost as much BS goin down here as in the long range shooting post.

And for all you gus who say I got my first gun at age 3 or 4 and your fifty now... I dont think you can really remember... can you?

This is all just my opinon, but there is no way a 3-4 year old is walkin around with a gun without slaming the barel in the door, dropping it when he sees something cool to play with, wakin his brother with it... and the list goes on.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Mfloski] #2055652 01/25/11 02:38 PM
T
Texas Proud Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Mfloski
Great post....my son is almost 4 and I can't wait to get him started, this thread made me think about the whole thing and make sure it's the right time for him and not dad!

X2 on the post. You won't know when the right time is if you don't start trying now before the video games become his only interest.

I truely think some fathers wait too long and the mothers get a hold of them w/ video games and cartoons to where they never want to go outside. Not that all mothers do that...mine knew our son was gonna try hunting/ shooting since it's where my extra money goes! Seen it a few times w/ a few friends kids. Father is too afraid to teach them and the boy becomes mommafied. Now they only wish they would've introducted them to the outdoors and hunting sooner.

I miss the good 'ol days, but I won't give up on my family heritage or my favorite past time!

My wife won't hunt, but she'll shoot target. I taught her before we got married a long time ago. I forewarned her that if we ever had a kid he/ she would follow in my footsteps. He is! flag

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: redchevy] #2055693 01/25/11 02:48 PM
T
Texas Proud Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Most kids are still dumpin in their pants, and dont know enough words to ask about a gun at that age. I think there is almost as much BS goin down here as in the long range shooting post.

And for all you gus who say I got my first gun at age 3 or 4 and your fifty now... I dont think you can really remember... can you?

This is all just my opinon, but there is no way a 3-4 year old is walkin around with a gun without slaming the barel in the door, dropping it when he sees something cool to play with, wakin his brother with it... and the list goes on.

Just wondering if you were mommafied (spent more time w/ mom and less time w/ dad due to work or whatever kept him away from home)? Not trying to start anything. Just courious when I read your post it reminds me of what a kid would think that never grew up in a hunting and shooting family. Most have to learn on his/ her own at a much later age on their own or w/ a friend that has been hunting for awhile. I have friends that never hunted till they were in their 20's.

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: tower slave] #2055720 01/25/11 02:54 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: tower slave
I was thinking of buying my son a 22 for his 6th birthday . Just wondering if thats too young. I cant really remember how old I was when I got my first gun but I was pretty young. Is 6 too young?

It depends on the kid, on the parents, on the environment. Has he been taught anything about guns even toy guns. This forum cannot tell you if he is too young. Your own heart, common sense tells you. I would say if you asking the question then he is too young.

Old Soldier
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Texas Proud] #2055725 01/25/11 02:56 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Texas Proud

Just wondering if you were mommafied (spent more time w/ mom and less time w/ dad due to work or whatever kept him away from home)? Not trying to start anything. Just courious when I read your post it reminds me of what a kid would think that never grew up in a hunting and shooting family. Most have to learn on his/ her own at a much later age on their own or w/ a friend that has been hunting for awhile. I have friends that never hunted till they were in their 20's.

If you knew me youd swear I never had a momma! Na Just kiddin. Definately didnt learn anything later in life about fishing hunting or guns. If you knew me you would never doubt it. I went to the blind with dad as long as I can remember, im just smart enough to know i wasnt draggin the gun around at 3. I have been fishing just as long. When I turned 11 i bought my own rifle and payed for my own lease with my own feeder and corn paid for with cash from a firework stand and settin bowlin pens.

No not at all! I love my momma but not a momma's boy, I have been out runnin round as long as I can remember. I am just smart enough to know that you and I were not out runnin around shootin a 22 when we were 3!

Oh and by the way Im still in my 20's so my memory is probably a little fresher than yours too.

Last edited by redchevy; 01/25/11 02:58 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: redchevy] #2055770 01/25/11 03:08 PM
T
Texas Proud Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Great to hear you had the opportunity early on to learn as much as you could. Reason I think there should be no set age on teaching or learning.......other than ASAP.

I was probably 5yrs old outback killing black birds w/ a single shot .22lr. Had to have my dad pull the bolt back so I could shoot. My parents bought me my first .22lr around 6yrs old for Christmas. I still have it today! That is the rifle I started my son shooting from a bench w/ at 4. He was pulling the trigger on my .25-06 at 3 1/2yrs old, but was nowhere near able to hold it on his own. He still has problems holding a rifle, but I only allow him to shoot from a blind or on shooting sticks sitting or kneeling and from the bench. Which is most important IMO.

Happy Hunting!

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Texas Proud] #2055792 01/25/11 03:13 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Texas Proud

I started going hunting at 5, shot my first deer at 10, and I completely agree with redchevy. I think people get a little carried away. 3 or 4 is just too young to have any responsibility, and you won't be able to convince me otherwise. I think a lot of people get their kids hunting when they (the parents) are ready, and not necessarily the kid. A 3 year old cannot grasp the seriousness and permanency of death.

Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Texas Proud] #2055803 01/25/11 03:15 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Thats all Im saying is all the people on here talkin about OH I got my first 22 when I was 4 and did this and started hunting when I was 5...

Well it turns out you got to shoot a 22 at 5 but only with dad there to load it for you and got to shoot a deer at 6 sitting on daddy's lap with him helping is how it probably really went down.

I know it is just anther bragin rights deal well my kid did such and such and ..... on and on. Kids are kids and like I said most 3 and 4 year olds still dump their drawrs every once in a while they arnt terorizing the countryside with a gun regardless of what they think they remember.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: redchevy] #2056098 01/25/11 04:25 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
redchevy, Some of us are of a different generation than you(I guess). I'm 68 and my memory isn't all that clear on the exact year when I stopped crapping my pants. I never had a BB gun. However, I was raised on a farm and was toting a single shot 22 when I was 5 or so. Being gone for hours with a 22 didn't seem to bother anyone in those days. After all, I could keep both ends off the ground. But then, driving a grain truck or sitting a tractor all day at 10 didn't get anyone all that excited either. Child Protective Services wasn't around in those days to make sure we weren't abused by having to work or have fun. Horses, cows and farm machinery were a lot more dangerous than guns.

Early hunting was jackrabbits and quail. Yep, with a 22, by myself, at about age 6. I didn't really get to go deer hunting until I was 22. There was a pretty significant shortage of them around the plains of Muleshoe. I bought my first shotgun at about 11 or 12 (I guess). It was a single shot 12 ga and, as I recall, it cost about $15. We hunted quail 12 months of the year. No adult supervision because CPS just wasn't around to tell people what was good for them. All of the farm kids grew up shooting and I don't recall anybody ever getting hurt with a gun.

I got my Grandson his first BB gun when he was 3. However, he didn't get to actually use it until he could identify everything on the gun. That didn't take long and he was soon out in the back yard shooting at cans. His first 22 came at 5. He is now 12 and has a 243, 222, 20 ga, a couple of 7.7 Japs, a 6.5 x 55 Swede, 3 22's, and a 22 pistol. However, he doesn't shoot unless I'm with him. He is very mature and wants to take the Hunters Safety Course this year. However, he says that he still wants me with him for a couple more years. He's killed 4 deer, a hog and a Ram. The first deer came when he was 6 and the hog came at 7.

Bottom line is that it's about the Kid and his or her maturity level. Most Kids these days aren't raised like we were WAAAAY back when. I expect some of the other old goats here could tell the same type of story.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 01/25/11 04:31 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: redchevy] #2056143 01/25/11 04:35 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
redchevy = the voice of reason

I didn't say it in this post but yes I've always been one of those "I was huntin on my own when I was 6." guys.

You're right that's probably only true in my mind, I do know I started REAL early. I was an only kid and we spent a lot of time huntin and fishin on private land, plus just a lot of time shooting.

But yes a 6 yo running around by himself with a gun would mean the he had irresponsible parents.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Dave Davidson] #2056146 01/25/11 04:35 PM
E
Elkman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I grew up with guns and was taught the dangers of them, I am 46 now. My son is 9. He got his first BB gun when he was 5. I let him start shooting my 22 at 5 1/2. He killed his first deer at age 6 while sitting in the stand with me. He has never looked back. He finally got his first rifle at age 8. I have strived to teach him the dangers and the SAFETY THAT GOES ALONG WITH HAVING a gun.He is still to young to go out by himself and the guns are kept locked up. I beleive it depends on the maturity of the kid and the teachings they are taught. I know some adults that should not be shooting a gun.

Last edited by Elkman; 01/25/11 04:37 PM.
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: Dave Davidson] #2056231 01/25/11 04:51 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
redchevy, Some of us are of a different generation than you(I guess). I'm 68 and my memory isn't all that clear on the exact year when I stopped crapping my pants. I never had a BB gun. However, I was raised on a farm and was toting a single shot 22 when I was 5 or so. Being gone for hours with a 22 didn't seem to bother anyone in those days. After all, I could keep both ends off the ground. But then, driving a grain truck or sitting a tractor all day at 10 didn't get anyone all that excited either. Child Protective Services wasn't around in those days to make sure we weren't abused by having to work or have fun. Horses, cows and farm machinery were a lot more dangerous than guns.

Early hunting was jackrabbits and quail. Yep, with a 22, by myself, at about age 6. I didn't really get to go deer hunting until I was 22. There was a pretty significant shortage of them around the plains of Muleshoe. I bought my first shotgun at about 11 or 12 (I guess). It was a single shot 12 ga and, as I recall, it cost about $15. We hunted quail 12 months of the year. No adult supervision because CPS just wasn't around to tell people what was good for them. All of the farm kids grew up shooting and I don't recall anybody ever getting hurt with a gun.

I got my Grandson his first BB gun when he was 3. However, he didn't get to actually use it until he could identify everything on the gun. That didn't take long and he was soon out in the back yard shooting at cans. His first 22 came at 5. He is now 12 and has a 243, 222, 20 ga, a couple of 7.7 Japs, a 6.5 x 55 Swede, 3 22's, and a 22 pistol. However, he doesn't shoot unless I'm with him. He is very mature and wants to take the Hunters Safety Course this year. However, he says that he still wants me with him for a couple more years. He's killed 4 deer, a hog and a Ram. The first deer came when he was 6 and the hog came at 7.

Bottom line is that it's about the Kid and his or her maturity level. Most Kids these days aren't raised like we were WAAAAY back when. I expect some of the other old goats here could tell the same type of story.

I mean no disrespect to you, but you know what "5 or so" is well its probably 3-10, especialy 64 years in hindsight!

I grew up a country kid too, drove the truck and the tractor and yes I started young too. I am only 24 so definately in a dif generation, but probably not as different as you think, never had the video games, I grew up in the outdoors and wouldnt have it any other way. Just saying some of the ages sugested on here are too young regardless of the maturity level of the child.

Bottom line be safe, supervise the kids and dont rush them, if someone gets hurt you will never live it down, and yes like you said about child protective services you will probably be in jail.

Also sounds like your grandson is being brought up right, young and with guns, but like you said he is supervised and proper percautions are taken, most on here make it sound like they were running around wild and free with a gun when 4 and 5 and that is just rediculouse!

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How old should a kid be before he gets his first rifle? [Re: redchevy] #2056306 01/25/11 05:08 PM
T
Texas Proud Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I want to make it clear that I wasn't callin' redchevy a momma's boy or anything that would demean him from hunting or this forum. I appoligize for any misconception to all including him.

Mommafied to me is a kid being raised by his/ her mother w/o the assistance of the father (dead beat) or a father that doesn't hunt. Most mothers don't hunt, but there are more now than ever. The reason some guys never do hunt is because they were never taught. There are some guys out there that are so whooped by their wife that won't allow the fathers to take the kids hunting or even teach them to shoot (mommafied). Some kids grow up hating their fathers because they are always the ones that have to correct the kids. Lack of parenting on both ends is the result.

A quote I'll repeat time and time again...."Take a kid hunting so you don't have to hunt them!"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide