Print Thread
Hunting Lease #2054936 01/25/11 04:33 AM
H
highroller7 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
I am interested in a hunting lease for next season. I am interested in everything from varmint, deer, hog and small game to duck hunting. I am hoping to find an annual lease because I would like to spend significant time scouting.

I will most likely go hunting in pairs with one of 4 other hunters. One or two of the others will likely be willing to be part of a per gun lease. The best arrangement would be purchasing a two gun lease with guest access. There will never be more than two of us at a time.

I am a respectiful, responsible, ethical hunter. I am a capable archer and marksman so I am open to any means restrictions.

While I do not have enough to pay a premium to hunt I am reasonable. I would be willing to pay more if a monthly payment was acceptable. I am also willing to assist with property maitenance, share the property with other leasors and increase the value of the lease by installing feeders, feed, stands, cams or whatever you would prefer.

Please respond with your idea of a fair price, expectations, guidelines/rules, or anything that I can do for you to offset the price. I am new to leasing, so please fill me in on any information you think a newbie should be aware of.

** The other hunter will be one of either my father 20%, most frequent hunting partner 70%, or one of two co-workers 10%. There may be occasion where I would like to bring my nephiew (7yrs) and/or my hunting partner's son (6yrs) [5%].

Re: Hunting Lease [Re: highroller7] #2055319 01/25/11 12:16 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Just an fyi, as I am willing to bet you won't get a lot of responses, you started off with "one of four" and ended up with one of six.

Most leases of any quality whatsoever would maybe....maybe allow one guest, and then lock it down to immediate family and they hunt off your tag, that is if you are lucky.

For a person(s) to lease land knowing you already have a pool of people to draw from that would/might want to hunt with you, that would be a hard bill to foot. For example, how likely will you bring your 'partner's' son without him? Not likely, so you will probably have 3 people at some point., then how likely to bring your nephew and not another adult?

See? These are what they are going to read and so, based only on my experience of wanting to bring just one guest, not a likely chance someone here would fill your need.

My suggestion is you try craigslist and the local newspaper and maybe buy a small parcel, like I am doing.

Again, not trying to rain on your parade, but I just figured to make a post, in case no-one else does.

Good luck, bud!
R

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Hunting Lease [Re: JohnRussell] #2057001 01/25/11 07:40 PM
H
highroller7 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Thanks John, I appreciate your response.

I posted my rough estimation of how likely different guests would be likely to attend. It's all up for negotiation; I would be interested in the property even if the land owner does not agree with my proposed arrangement.

This is my 'ideal' situation and certainly does not reflect my 'requirements.' Myself and my hunting partner will be the primary hunters, this lease would be for us and if no guests are allowed we would still be interested.

Landowners: Please feel free propose any arrangements that fit your needs or wants. I am very flexible and would be happy to compromise. If you need more paying guns to make it worthwhile, please let me know.

Last edited by highroller7; 01/25/11 07:41 PM.
Re: Hunting Lease [Re: highroller7] #2069339 01/29/11 04:39 AM
H
highroller7 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
As a note, if you need more guns to make it worth while, I know several responsible hunters in my network that are looking for a lease next year.

Re: Hunting Lease [Re: highroller7] #2069444 01/29/11 06:09 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
The lease that I am currently on is a semi-managed ranch. By semi-managed, there are only a few rules. We try to only shoot mature deer: 8-pointers have to be 120 and 10-pointers have to be 130. You get one buck and if it makes the points, you can hunt for a 145 or better as a second buck. You can shoot any cull that you can legally tag and as many doe as you can legally tag. Guest can only shoot culls and doe. Family can shoot a buck, but it counts as yours for the year.

The ranch is about 10k acres. We lease 6500 acres and the neighbors 1k, 3500 acres is not hunted. The overall rules on the lease are fairly relaxed as we try to balance a fun, family lease and still have a chance at respectable deer. Most the people on the lease have "trophy" leases elsewhere and come to relax or let the kids hunt while there are others that hunt it exclusively.

We allow one guest per paying hunter, but they must hunt with the paying hunter. If you have two kids, they can both hunt but they have to be with you. During rifle season, we have an open stand policy. You have to have a feeder set up to hunt a feeder and you have to have a blind to hunt someone elses blind. If you shoot a buck out of someone elses stand it has to be either a cull or must make the points. No Dow without permission.

There is year around access and electricity and water for campers is included in the lease price. We have built a hanging pole with winches and a slab, a walk-in freezer, and a shed for rainy nights when it is to wet for a fire.

There are plenty of deer and most the bucks killed are in the 120's to 130's with a few 140's taking. Lease includes turkey, dove, deer, ducks and varmints. We do not have any hogs and quail are not included.

Half the money is due by the end of turkey season and the other half is due before dove season starts.

I won't know if there are any openings until turkey season, but I will keep you in mind. (might send me a reminder). The price is around $2k. Varies a little each year due to covering the electric and water.

Just wanted to let you know that not all leases are the same and if this one doesn't fit, there is probably one that does.

Good luck to you and if you are interested, remind me around turkey season and I will know if there is an opening.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide