Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2051813 01/24/11 02:54 PM
L
lmberjack Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Sfa been working in env consulting since I graduated, almost 10 years ago, mostly wetlands and impact assessments. Interned on a ranch, decided hunting was a hobby and not a job.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: lmberjack] #2052370 01/24/11 05:11 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Be really careful if your plan is to get into game warden school. Not trying to bring race into anything, but as mentioned, the State has certain quotas that have to be filled by minorities and/or women, so it is very, very difficult to become a game warden right now as a white male (if you even are a white male). Have a good friend that got his wildlife/fisheries degree from A&M, made it to the final cut 7 attempts in a row, was flat told he was vastly more qualified than the other applicants, and got cut every year.

It's tough. Very tough.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2052376 01/24/11 05:13 PM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
I'm just wondering is all. There just seems to be so many know it alls here on the forum about ranch management, and I'm seein who has the majors to back it up actually, vs just blowin smoke.

I'm a Junior at Tarleton, and I have had 8 months worth of ranch management hands on. I got about 10 years worth of info though.

I don't have a degree from college in any king Wildlife Studies. My degree was in pre-med. But I do have 31 Years of being a Game Wardens son who was a Wildlife Bilogy Major from Texas A&M. I also worked for a Scientific Breeder for 5 years while paying my way through college at Tarleton State and Sam Houston. Managed a 5,000 acre ranch I hunted West of San Angelo for Whitetail and Turkey for 5 years and recently started this last year managing a 1,500 acre ranch in Jack County that I now hunt for Whitetail, Turkey, Hog and Coyote eradication. Have guided hunters, state representatives, speakers of the house, congressmen and pretty much every big wig that has ever had anything to do with TGWA in the last 15 years, since I was 16 and old enough to drive, 31 now. School of Been There - Done That and actually have hands on credentials to back up the statements I have made. I have done TV Shows with Dr. James Kroll and Ted Nugent for different wildlife shows, interviewed Ranch Managers who have Wildlife Science Degrees and Wildlife Biology degrees from pretty much every major university in the state of Texas. Have spent extensive time on the King Ranch visiting with the Ranch Managers there about their practices, in fact I was there last week for 3 days. I don't take the word of what one professor at college tells me or what I have read from one book to develop my opinions. If I do that, I am not a true student, I am a SHEEP.

So now that you have tried to figure out how much smarter you are then everyone else, go finish your degree and get out there and get some real world experience, before you keep popping off and calling other men liars.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: 338ultra] #2052420 01/24/11 05:25 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I took every Wildlife Class they offered from Tarleton State back in the early 90's. Boy it sure was a joke back then. Especially when the professor had a Poultry Science degree. Still remember the day that Dr. Fulton stated that deer don't eat Oats or Wheat? I think they have changed the program though. Thank God.

Last edited by Tye; 01/24/11 05:25 PM.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: Tye] #2052543 01/24/11 06:06 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Double major - aviation science; professional pilot and wildlife management. I make my money in real estate these days - go figure.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: HuntnFly67] #2052678 01/24/11 06:41 PM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I have a Wildlife, Fisheries and Science degree from "THE" Texas A&M University. I now work in the environmental field which required a degree with some background in the environmental/wildlife science field, so it worked out for me. The problem I faced when graduating was a narrow job field in Wildlife and Fisheries. You either tried to become a game warden (almost impossible) or went the research and continuing education route to get a masters. It's tough to find a good paying job in this area though. Tell your kids to go to business school, lol.

Class of 2003
Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: 338ultra] #2052795 01/24/11 07:19 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: 338ultra
I'm just wondering is all. There just seems to be so many know it alls here on the forum about ranch management, and I'm seein who has the majors to back it up actually, vs just blowin smoke.

I'm a Junior at Tarleton, and I have had 8 months worth of ranch management hands on. I got about 10 years worth of info though.

I don't have a degree from college in any king Wildlife Studies. My degree was in pre-med. But I do have 31 Years of being a Game Wardens son who was a Wildlife Bilogy Major from Texas A&M. I also worked for a Scientific Breeder for 5 years while paying my way through college at Tarleton State and Sam Houston. Managed a 5,000 acre ranch I hunted West of San Angelo for Whitetail and Turkey for 5 years and recently started this last year managing a 1,500 acre ranch in Jack County that I now hunt for Whitetail, Turkey, Hog and Coyote eradication. Have guided hunters, state representatives, speakers of the house, congressmen and pretty much every big wig that has ever had anything to do with TGWA in the last 15 years, since I was 16 and old enough to drive, 31 now. School of Been There - Done That and actually have hands on credentials to back up the statements I have made. I have done TV Shows with Dr. James Kroll and Ted Nugent for different wildlife shows, interviewed Ranch Managers who have Wildlife Science Degrees and Wildlife Biology degrees from pretty much every major university in the state of Texas. Have spent extensive time on the King Ranch visiting with the Ranch Managers there about their practices, in fact I was there last week for 3 days. I don't take the word of what one professor at college tells me or what I have read from one book to develop my opinions. If I do that, I am not a true student, I am a SHEEP.

So now that you have tried to figure out how much smarter you are then everyone else, go finish your degree and get out there and get some real world experience, before you keep popping off and calling other men liars.

Dude, take a chill pill, dang. I never said I was smarter than anybody, I just want to know if theres people on here that actually know what theyre talking about. I am working on finishing my degree, and I am still learning, but feel I know a little bit. And I do have real world experience sir. I still dont believe everything Kroll talks about though.

Also, whoever made mention of it, Tarleton has one of the top Wildlife programs in the state right now, so hopefully that answers your question.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: zederwatz] #2052870 01/24/11 07:42 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I started off that way, but decided I wanted to go a different route b/c of $.

Originally Posted By: zederwatz

Remember you can marry more money in 5 minutes than you can make in a lifetime.

True Story!! clap

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: zederwatz] #2053053 01/24/11 08:41 PM
O
Outdoorgal Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: zederwatz
Plan ahead.

Remember you can marry more money in 5 minutes than you can make in a lifetime.

rofl

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, for whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: rifleman] #2053104 01/24/11 08:58 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Or you can bust your butt to make more money than you can spend in a lifetime and not have to worry about kissing some woman and her family's behind the rest of your life. That was the route I preferred. argue

To the OP, son the older you get, the more you realize how little you know.

There are a lot of people who post on here that havent spent a minute doing anything serious as it relates to managing a deer herd yet they get to state their opinion. There are also others who have spent countless hours and dollars learning everything they can from respected professionals in the business and they get to state their opinion as well. Someone having a degree in managing wildlife doesnt mean a hill of beans. I have seen an equal number of idiots with a degree as I have without. And I have seen an equal number of very smart successful people without a degree as with one. Classroom theory will only take you so far.

The bottom line is that the results of these studies are not the be all end all to deer management. You take out of them what you think will work for your deer herd and apply them to accomplish what you want to achieve. You record data and see where the trend is taking you. No matter what the direction, either positive or negative, you will constantly be tweeking your guidelines.

With your most recent posts, you are really coming off as a know it all/my way is the only way type guy whether you mean to or not. And never call out a respected professional on a public forum unless you have the goods to back it up publicly also. It makes you look really bad when you dont, not the other way around.

Last edited by rtp; 01/24/11 08:58 PM.

Let'em grow old
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: rtp] #2053127 01/24/11 09:05 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: rtp
Or you can bust your butt to make more money than you can spend in a lifetime and not have to worry about kissing some woman and her family's behind the rest of your life. That was the route I preferred. argue

There are a lot of people who post on here that havent spent a minute doing anything serious as it relates to managing a deer herd yet they get to state their opinion. There are also others who have spent countless hours and dollars learning everything they can from respected professionals in the business and they get to state their opinion as well. Someone having a degree in managing wildlife doesnt mean a hill of beans. I have seen an equal number of idiots with a degree as I have without. And I have seen an equal number of very smart successful people without a degree as with one. Classroom theory will only take you so far.

The bottom line is that the results of these studies are not the be all end all to deer management. You take out of them what you think will work for your deer herd and apply them to accomplish what you want to achieve. You record data and see where the trend is taking you. No matter what the direction, either positive or negative, you will constantly be tweeking your guidelines.

With your most recent posts, you are really coming off as a know it all/my way is the only way type guy whether you mean to or not. And never call out a respected professional on a public forum unless you have the goods to back it up publicly also. It makes you look really bad when you dont, not the other way around.

I agree with all that, but surely that bolded part isn't all that bad. grin

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: TxTechsan] #2053198 01/24/11 09:29 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: TxTechsan
Graduated from Tech in Dec. 2000. Worked for a large water district for the last 8 years or so. The wildlife jobs I interviewed for out of college were super competetive. PHD grads were interviewing for the entry level jobs I interviewed for. My degree helped me get to where I am now but the only wildlife I am managing now is what lives on the small place I own and the other places I hunt.

I really really wish I would have had a clue in college and got a degree in Engineering. I do a lot of that now anyways.

I had a chance to work for a ranch for about $1200/month and a small house out of college. That was not going to cut it with a wife and son so I had to look elsewhere.

I am really glad I have the degree and I did it all on my own but man I really wish I would have chosen a field with more jobs.

I though about the wildlife route, but realized that is what I like to do for fun and relaxation. I got an engineering degree, and I can go hunt in my spare time. Wildlife degrees are a dime a dozen. Too high competition for a few low paying jobs. It wasn't for me.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2053218 01/24/11 09:34 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K

I Know some land owners and ranchers that have never stepped inside a college classroom that could school 99% of wildlife majors in Texas...

I know three guys in particular that have no college degree, but have some of the biggest deer in teh state... and they have genetics (native from their ranches) that have spwaned many of the big deer ranches all over the place.... and they did it without a degree. Maybe you can tell them they are just blowing smoke though.

Last edited by kyle1974; 01/24/11 10:02 PM.
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2053223 01/24/11 09:36 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Remember that ranch management stems from other sciences. I'm sure there are a few people here, myself included, that have degrees in the medical/science field, with a very strong science backgrounds. All you have to do is apply what you know.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: rtp] #2053251 01/24/11 09:43 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: rtp

Very good points. I guess I probably did call out Kroll, but I wasn't trying to, just stating that I dont believe everything he has done, and people can do their own research, and believe what they wont. I dont want to come across as a know it all, because i dont. I'm sure I am coming across as one though. And I do know that there are a lot of people that know a lot more than me as well. And I did state that I still have a lot to learn, but I do know a little bit about management.

So to all, I am sorry if I have come across as a know it all, because I'm not. I''m sure we'd all get along if we met in person too, so have a good day, and enjoy the little things.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2053268 01/24/11 09:49 PM
M
murph Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: 338ultra
I'm just wondering is all. There just seems to be so many know it alls here on the forum about ranch management, and I'm seein who has the majors to back it up actually, vs just blowin smoke. I'm a Junior at Tarleton, and I have had 8 months worth of ranch management hands on. I got about 10 years worth of info though.

Dude, take a chill pill, dang. I never said I was smarter than anybody, I just want to know if theres people on here that actually know what theyre talking about. I am working on finishing my degree, and I am still learning, but feel I know a little bit. And I do have real world experience sir. I still dont believe everything Kroll talks about though.
Also, whoever made mention of it, Tarleton has one of the top Wildlife programs in the state right now, so hopefully that answers your question.
I have an Ag-Business degree from Tarleton, fine school. Problem with your posts and the expected result from other posters is highlighted in red. You claim a bunch of know it alls are on this site and want to call them out on their backgrounds, good grief. I wish I had a nickle for every college undergraduate that has said they have plenty of "real world experience", and then could go back and ask them that question after they have been in the real world for 10 or 15 years or more. Their answer is most often quite a bit different.

In another thread you did not just state that you disagreed with Dr. Kroll, you called the man a liar. When asked to back that up you crawfished. When you do get in to the real world you had better be able to back up such an accusation or you will be eaten alive. If you can't do that from behind the keyboard how do you ever expect to make it out there?

[Linked Image]
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: murph] #2053319 01/24/11 10:01 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I probably worded it a way I didnt necessarily mean, my bad. I already said I have a lot to learn, but I do have a little bit of knowledge. I have more learning to do over known knowledge though. I'm admitting that, so I don't understand why I keep getting called out on it.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2053324 01/24/11 10:03 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
just out of curiousity, why are you calling out Kroll? because you did an 8 month internship on the flying A ranch, and the biologist there worked on the Kerr study when he was in college?

http://www.flyingaranch.net/personnel/personnel.htm

Last edited by kyle1974; 01/24/11 10:10 PM.
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: kyle1974] #2053390 01/24/11 10:19 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I'm not calling out Kroll, i just dont believe everything he has done is all. And I wouldnt call our Wildlife Biologist out sir, thats a big mistake.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2053418 01/24/11 10:25 PM
M
murph Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I probably worded it a way I didnt necessarily mean, my bad. I already said I have a lot to learn, but I do have a little bit of knowledge. I have more learning to do over known knowledge though. I'm admitting that, so I don't understand why I keep getting called out on it.
That is cool, my post went up before you had explained that you were just in disagreement with Kroll. It is a good lesson for anyone. My dad always told me, before you speak one should always go over it in your head just to know how it might sound. That was sage advice! Good luck in all your endeavors!

[Linked Image]
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2053420 01/24/11 10:25 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I'm sorry...I forgot only junior level wildlife students with little real world exprience were allowed to call people out....

Am I calling "your" biologist out? I asked if your opinion had anything to do with the fact the ranch in your signature line has a biologist that worked on the kerr study as a college student.

If you're going to start throwing stones junior, make sure you're not in a glass house.

but I know.... your biologist can beat up my biologist. rofl rofl

Last edited by kyle1974; 01/24/11 10:31 PM.
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: kyle1974] #2053448 01/24/11 10:32 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: kyle1974
you called Dr. Kroll a liar in another thread, and you have nothing at all (except your junior level education) to back it up.

Am I calling "your" biologist out? I asked if your opinion had anything to do with the fact the ranch in your signature line has a biologist that worked on the kerr study as a college student.

If you're going to start throwing stones junior, make sure you're not in a glass house.

And for some reason, murph understands that I didnt mean to call him a liar, but you cant. And yes our biologist did work out there, and I spent a couple of days working out there as well, but I have also visited it as well. I am not going to back up the Kroll statement either, you can do your own research and believe what you want to.

Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2053459 01/24/11 10:34 PM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I'm not calling out Kroll, i just dont believe everything he has done is all. And I wouldnt call our Wildlife Biologist out sir, thats a big mistake.

A word of advice and I'm not meaning this as a put down toward you, but you might want to look at enrolling in a handful of Speech Communication classes your next semester. When I went to Tarleton in the late 90's they had some good professors that definitley allowed plenty of opportunity for public speaking and debate. If you are serious about wanting to go into this line of work, you are going to have to know how to communicate your thoughts effectively.

And you did call Dr. Kroll a liar in the other thread and it did come across that you were accusing Kyle1974 of calling out "your" ranch biologist. I know a lot of ranch biologist across the state of Texas and until they get about 10 years of real world experience they don't know their butt from a whole in the ground. Alot of a person's opinions are developed off the people they surround themselves with. I would advise you to surround yourself with several "experts" not just the biologist from the Flying A. Then form your own opinions.

One last little shot at you, then I will quit hammering on you. If everyone had the same thought pattern as you we would never get Obama out of office.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2053468 01/24/11 10:36 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
you acknowledge you did call him a liar, but you didn't mean to?

I thought you said you didn't call him a liar? which way is it?

good plan. I try not to use supporting facts or data for anyone I flame online either. you have a very solid future ahead. Have you considered politics?

also.... you haven't responded to my "name that poop" thread, so I can only assume you don't know [censored] about wildlife!

Last edited by kyle1974; 01/24/11 10:54 PM.
Re: Wildlife Majors? [Re: 338ultra] #2053472 01/24/11 10:36 PM
S
Spike Slayer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I have a Wildlife and Fisheries Science degree from A&M and, therefore, everything I say is correct. Thank you

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide