When do you salt them???
Why???

Re: Red Beans [Re: Mr Redneck] #2044094 01/21/11 05:06 PM
T
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I soak my overnight with salt in the water. That might not be the correct way though.

Re: Red Beans [Re: TooLow] #2044765 01/21/11 09:02 PM
Big Pa Offline
Tracker
Tracker
WE always soak overnight with a little bit of salt in the water. (because that was the way mama did it)

If you want some great tasting beans. http://www.pintobean.org/

We get all our pinto beans here. You will not believe the difference in taste between these and store bought....

6th generation Texan

All these threats to our way of life> I am starting a new religion. The Temple of the .223
Re: Red Beans [Re: Big Pa] #2046082 01/22/11 05:29 AM
Brandon972 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Rut row, I feel a toot coming on...LOL

Re: Red Beans [Re: Big Pa] #2046202 01/22/11 08:19 AM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Big Pa
WE always soak overnight with a little bit of salt in the water. (because that was the way mama did it)

We get all our pinto beans here. You will not believe the difference in taste between these and store bought....

Nice link, thanks for that.

I don't soak mine, cook 5-6 hrs on the stove top. Usually 2#'s of beans, pack of ham hocks or a hambone with trimmings if I have one, 2 jalapeno's, and 1 onion. Salt when it's time to eat.

Just make sure you're using a good sized stockpot with a good bottom, otherwise it's hard to keep them from sticking.

Last edited by chalet; 01/22/11 08:20 AM.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Red Beans [Re: chalet] #2051564 01/24/11 01:28 PM
A
azcoyote Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Last time I tried the "Quick Soak" method on the package. Bring beans to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let sit for one hour. Then rinse and cook with your favorite recipe. They came out just fine.

"It'a a sad man my freind who's living in his own skin and can't stand the company" Bruce Springsteen
Re: Red Beans [Re: azcoyote] #2052005 01/24/11 03:45 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I don't soak, no reason to. Just cook til they're done. I salt my veggies while cooking them before I even put the beans in. Usually cooking with bacon or something, so salt is usually right. I taste the beans when they are done and re-season if necessary.

Re: Red Beans [Re: Justin T] #2070516 01/29/11 11:18 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Adding salt to the beans after they are cooked will make them softer.
http://www.essortment.com/all/drypintobeans_rjtr.htm
Quote:
Seasoning beans vary with personal preference. Do not add salt until after the beans are cooked. Adding salt before cooking will make the beans less tender. Adding chopped onion or fresh garlic while cooking makes very flavorful beans. Salt and seasonings to taste can be added after a few hours of cooking. Simmer for a short time after adding seasonings.

We cook ours using a modified chili recipe. Soaked or not, either way works for us.

For 2 pounds of beans
1 tablespoon Chili powder
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cumin
cayenne pepper or fresh jalapeno to taste, about 1/8 tsp is enough cayenne.
ham is optional, but no salt pork

Cook until tender, and then salt to taste.

We cook these when we are too busy to get out the spices.
"Cheatin' Beans"
use 1 tablespoon of Williams chili powder per pound. Cook until tender, then salt to taste.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Red Beans [Re: Mr Redneck] #2071600 01/30/11 12:47 PM
S
Scurvy Dog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
A lot of people have misconceptions about soaking beans. Beans are grouped according to hardness, and not all beans need to be soaked. The softer categories of legumes like Split Peas, Lentils and Butterbeans can be quickly pressure cooked without soaking, but the hardest beans, such as the Soybean, are so hard they need a full 12 hours to rehydrate.
Many think the main reason to soak beans is to minimize gas, and while it's true that soaking does help to remove the indigestible complex sugars (oligosaccharides) from the outer coating of the beans, it's certainly not the primary reason to soak.
Probably the most important reason for soaking is that it allows shorter cooking times, and that preserves the most nutrients, so you get the benefits of all the proteins, vitamins and minerals in the beans and maximize their food value. According to the California Dry Bean Advisory Board, there's no need to worry that soaking is going to remove the proteins, enzymes or other nutrients that are stored within the beans.
If your family's nutrition isn't enough to convince you to soak those beans, here's another convincing argument; Beans are dirty!
Beans go through a series of threshing and sifting processes, but none of these steps include washing because any moisture could cause the beans to mold or start sprouting. So lets be clear, soaking the beans is the only way to clean them and remove the accumulated surface dirt, bacteria, and nasty stuff like insect larva, rodent contamination, and any fertilizer or pesticide residues that might be present -- what the industry politely calls 'field dust' -- none of which you'd likely want to eat.
Soaking also allows beans to slowly absorb the liquid they need to cook evenly and completely so they don't split open, lose their skins, or cook only the outer surface while the middle remains hard.
Soaking cuts the cooking time by as much as 70%, so most soaked beans will pressure cook in as little as 8 to 15 minutes. That saves you -- and your wallet -- a bit of cash in using less cooking fuel, and that in turn, means that you can help the environment by using less energy with shorter cooking times. If you fail to soak the beans first, a large part of the cooking time (and energy expense) is wasted while the beans rehydrate to the point where they actually can begin to cook and soften, extending the cooking time to 40-60 minutes.
And lastly, soaking helps further break down those pesky oligosaccharides, the indigestible sugars that cause gas in beans, as well as removing tannins, phytic acid and tryspin inhibitors.

Re: Red Beans [Re: Scurvy Dog] #2114452 02/13/11 10:30 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
When posting an article please provide a link to the article.

http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtosoak.html

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Red Beans [Re: Big Pa] #2114553 02/13/11 11:16 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: Big Pa

\

I am going to try me 25lbs tomorrow sir, thank you!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide