Print Thread
Training a lab #2050874 01/24/11 03:19 AM
B
Blacksmith Andrew Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I just got myself a lab puppy and I have a few questions. I don't do much bird hunting but I would still like to train him and get him good and disciplined and I will like to do some bird hunting in the future. What is a good book/ site or information about training dogs? I am also thinking about getting a underground shock fence, I am just looking for some feedback as to how well they work.

I guess it's just something about me but I can make animals understand just about anything, I adopted a street cat that was in my yard to use for a shop cat and I have that sucker coming when I call it, even if it's 200 yards away. I had a lab before but I never trained him and he understood all sorts of things besides just "Food".

Here is Duke, my puppy.

Re: Training a lab [Re: Blacksmith Andrew] #2054709 01/25/11 03:37 AM
B
b1c2r3r4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
gun dog or water dog

Re: Training a lab [Re: b1c2r3r4] #2054843 01/25/11 04:08 AM
B
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
gun dog. If I'm correct a gun dog just retrieves birds shot by the hunter right?

Re: Training a lab [Re: Blacksmith Andrew] #2054906 01/25/11 04:22 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Gun dog is a real loose term.

No, sometimes there is tracking involved too to find the shot birds.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Training a lab [Re: Blacksmith Andrew] #2055331 01/25/11 12:28 PM
B
blkf250diesel Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Read both gun dog and water dog. you can't go wrong with more information on both types. And they are both excellent reads.

Re: Training a lab [Re: blkf250diesel] #2055346 01/25/11 12:41 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Gun Dog and Water Dog are going to teach you a whole lot more than just how to prepare your dog for hunting. In the end, you'll wind up with a great buddy and good canine citizen if you follow Wolter's tips. Folks say the info is dated... true. But dogs are still dogs after all these years and his methods are effective.

I love the look of that pup. Is he chocolate or is that a 'silver' (a black lab with a double recessive dilute at the 'D' locus to make it look bluish, or silver?) GOOD LOOKING FOR SURE!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Training a lab [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2055570 01/25/11 02:18 PM
B
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Thanks guys for the references. There are lots of books out there for everything but some are better than others.

IronSpikeLabs, He's full chocolate. As far as the breeder could remember he has had all chocolate parents and grandparents. He kinda has a silver look though because of the picture, he looks better in person.

How do they get silver labs though? I've heard of red labs too. Is it just the way they are bred or do they do something with the genetics or what?

Re: Training a lab [Re: Blacksmith Andrew] #2057715 01/25/11 10:26 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Blacksmith Andrew
Thanks guys for the references. There are lots of books out there for everything but some are better than others.

IronSpikeLabs, He's full chocolate. As far as the breeder could remember he has had all chocolate parents and grandparents. He kinda has a silver look though because of the picture, he looks better in person.

How do they get silver labs though? I've heard of red labs too. Is it just the way they are bred or do they do something with the genetics or what?

same way you get white labs smile up

Re: Training a lab [Re: Blacksmith Andrew] #2057939 01/25/11 11:26 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M

You take someone who wants to make some money off of people who will pay big $$$ for something that is a different color then usual, mix the lab with some other breeds(weimaraner) and presto you have grey labs! Red labs seem to be just breeding the darker yellows.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Training a lab [Re: MS1454] #2058003 01/25/11 11:47 PM
E
Eagle 1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Your correct on the red as it is just an dark yellow burnt orange yellow lab. My son trains Labs and GSP's and the silvers are dumb as dirt so they must have Weimaraner in them...not meant to offend you Weim guys, just my humble opinion.

JMc

This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department...
Re: Training a lab [Re: Eagle 1] #2058019 01/25/11 11:52 PM
B
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Ok, I was just wondering about that. I've never seen a silver or red lab but I just googled it because I was curious about what they look like. I still like the chocolate better.

Re: Training a lab [Re: Blacksmith Andrew] #2058600 01/26/11 02:15 AM
S
stexas7 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
You say the silver are "dumb" but is there really any truth to that? Cause I love the looks of chocolates and will be getting one soon but some say that they are dumb as well compared to blacks and yellows. I just can't see truth to that. And sorry Andrew I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Re: Training a lab [Re: stexas7] #2058960 01/26/11 03:32 AM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
my white lab handles the family budget during the off season....

now that is smart

Re: Training a lab [Re: Blacksmith Andrew] #2059248 01/26/11 05:00 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

There is a lot of controversy about the silver color, but politics aside, it's genetics. True silver or 'blue' occurs due to the double recessive on the 'D' locus. That locus is not always expressed, because there are five other loci that impact dog coat and skin color before it (A,B, C, E & the recently discovered impact of the K.) It's complicated, but the C locus impacts phaeomelanin or the red (yellow) color in a Labs coat only. The C locus does not affect skin color, which is affected at the B locus, but it is responsible for the red coat color. However, before C can affect anything, the dog must first be double recessive at the E locus... ee. But a dog can be ee with varying skin colors, which are affected by the B locus. Variations in coat occur from there - from cream to sable (like my dog Rusty in the pic below, more popularly known as 'fox red.') The C & E (along with the A) loci work together to produce cream, Isabella, yellow, dark yellow, faux fox red and fox red coat colors in dogs which can be solid or saddled (darker on the ears & back, which is what the A locus controls.) These different coat colors can overlay a variety of skin colors. Clear as mud yet? lol That's just the first part...

If the dog's coat color is not limited or expressed at the E, C and/or K, then the B can be expressed in a dog's coat. The B locus is responsible for producing black (BB or Bb) and chocolate (bb) dogs. Chocolate requires a double-recessive at the B locus, so it is less common than yellow or black - two colors that are arrived at higher up the 'chromosome color chain', if you will. However, when the B locus is expressed, it can then be further affected by the 'D' locus which impacts eumelanin, or the black pigment in the dogs coat and skin. Silver only occurs when there is double recessive, at the D locus, which in and of itself is rare.

So, you can see is is a series of 'sifters' that must occur before silver shows up - which is why it is so rare. I just tried to compress several chapters' worth of genetics into one short response, but it's just to help you appreciate that silver is rare not because it doesn't exist in Labs (came from cross breeding as many believe), but that statistically and probability-wise it has a minute chance of being expressed.

BTW, similar accusations were made regarding the color chocolate before it was added as an acceptable color for a Lab. It became popular, but it was rare at first, so breeders who could not produce that color were envious of the money to be made. As a result, they voiced a lot of allegations as to the origin and authenticity of the chocolate color, which later turned out to be substantiated, genetically. It simply was rare due to the double recessive and since it was not an acceptable color, breeders avoided producing it - making it more rare. Today, many breeders want to charge top dollar for a fox red dog, also because it's rare. Sadly, that's just the politics of people, an unavoidable complication which has nothing to do with science or genetics.

Personally, I think the 'blue' is a beautiful color for a Lab. I have a couple of 'blue roan' horses. Their coloring is also very rare and comes about in a similar manner. To each his own...

Re: Training a lab [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2059509 01/26/11 11:33 AM
T
Three Shot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

There is a lot of controversy about the silver color, but politics aside, it's genetics. True silver or 'blue' occurs due to the double recessive on the 'D' locus. That locus is not always expressed, because there are five other loci that impact dog coat and skin color before it (A,B, C, E & the recently discovered impact of the K.) It's complicated, but the C locus impacts phaeomelanin or the red (yellow) color in a Labs coat only. The C locus does not affect skin color, which is affected at the B locus, but it is responsible for the red coat color. However, before C can affect anything, the dog must first be double recessive at the E locus... ee. But a dog can be ee with varying skin colors, which are affected by the B locus. Variations in coat occur from there - from cream to sable (like my dog Rusty in the pic below, more popularly known as 'fox red.') The C & E (along with the A) loci work together to produce cream, Isabella, yellow, dark yellow, faux fox red and fox red coat colors in dogs which can be solid or saddled (darker on the ears & back, which is what the A locus controls.) These different coat colors can overlay a variety of skin colors. Clear as mud yet? lol That's just the first part...

If the dog's coat color is not limited or expressed at the E, C and/or K, then the B can be expressed in a dog's coat. The B locus is responsible for producing black (BB or Bb) and chocolate (bb) dogs. Chocolate requires a double-recessive at the B locus, so it is less common than yellow or black - two colors that are arrived at higher up the 'chromosome color chain', if you will. However, when the B locus is expressed, it can then be further affected by the 'D' locus which impacts eumelanin, or the black pigment in the dogs coat and skin. Silver only occurs when there is double recessive, at the D locus, which in and of itself is rare.

So, you can see is is a series of 'sifters' that must occur before silver shows up - which is why it is so rare. I just tried to compress several chapters' worth of genetics into one short response, but it's just to help you appreciate that silver is rare not because it doesn't exist in Labs (came from cross breeding as many believe), but that statistically and probability-wise it has a minute chance of being expressed.

BTW, similar accusations were made regarding the color chocolate before it was added as an acceptable color for a Lab. It became popular, but it was rare at first, so breeders who could not produce that color were envious of the money to be made. As a result, they voiced a lot of allegations as to the origin and authenticity of the chocolate color, which later turned out to be substantiated, genetically. It simply was rare due to the double recessive and since it was not an acceptable color, breeders avoided producing it - making it more rare. Today, many breeders want to charge top dollar for a fox red dog, also because it's rare. Sadly, that's just the politics of people, an unavoidable complication which has nothing to do with science or genetics.

Personally, I think the 'blue' is a beautiful color for a Lab. I have a couple of 'blue roan' horses. Their coloring is also very rare and comes about in a similar manner. To each his own...

eek2 That made my head hurt...it is also a great example of why to use an informed breeder for information and quality dogs.

Re: Training a lab [Re: Three Shot] #2059799 01/26/11 02:10 PM
B
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
ironSpikeLabs, that made my head hurt too! scratch I think I might have to read that several times before I can take a pop quiz but thankfully it is only a forum..... bang

Re: Training a lab [Re: Blacksmith Andrew] #2062582 01/27/11 02:24 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Pop quiz is tomorrow, boys! scared

Re: Training a lab [Re: Three Shot] #2062623 01/27/11 02:33 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Three Shot
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

There is a lot of controversy about the silver color, but politics aside, it's genetics....

...Personally, I think the 'blue' is a beautiful color for a Lab....

eek2 That made my head hurt...it is also a great example of why to use an informed breeder for information and quality dogs.

lol... Sorry for the headache! I've always found the science of breeding to be nothing short of fascinating...

Re: Training a lab [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2065061 01/27/11 11:21 PM
B
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
No, it is interesting but I just got a little lost. I'm sorry but I can't take the pop quiz because of a sickness that has recently come upon me......seriously....not joking and I don't want to get the rest of the class sick and to add even further my new puppy ate my homework......the one in the picture up there.....so no pop quiz for me woot

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide