Print Thread
Gunmaster in Plano #204195 08/24/07 08:49 PM
T
TechHunter45 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Anyone ever use this place? I went in to get my shotgun cleaned and serviced just to know everythings good before dove season starts, they said it would take 2 MONTHS to get back, I could see if they're somewhat backed up but 2 months? give me a break. Needless to say I'll just be giving it the normal cleaning best I can. All around they were pretty rude and unhelpful, just curious if anyone else has experienced this there.

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: TechHunter45] #204196 08/24/07 09:10 PM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
over-priced, over-opinionated, over-bearing, egotistical, rude, seems you covered it pretty well...I'll never walk in that place again.

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: JBCooper] #204197 08/24/07 09:13 PM
T
TechHunter45 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Glad to hear it wasn't just me, any nearby place you could recommend that I would have a chance of getting it back before the 1st?

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: TechHunter45] #204198 08/24/07 10:39 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
THERE IS NOTHING THEY WOULD DO THAT YOU CANT AS FAR AS CLEANING. THOSE GUYS AT GUNMASTER HAVE AN ABUNDANCE OF KNOWLEDGE AND PRODUCT BUT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PEOPLE SKILLS HAVE BEEN ON BACKORDER FOR AWHILE.

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: JBCooper] #204199 08/25/07 11:23 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

over-priced, over-opinionated, over-bearing, egotistical, rude, seems you covered it pretty well...I'll never walk in that place again.

My feelings exactly. What a bunch of jerks.

MC

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: MikeC] #204200 08/25/07 08:26 PM
R
Roger Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I am not saying its right or wrong, but they have to deal with some of the goofiest people around starting about now. I also am not making assumptions about anyone, but I go in there with the intention of learning something. I go in there because of their knowledge and opinions. Sometimes I use their info, sometimes not, but I value their insight. Might just be my prespective as a newish hunter. Its better than some of the big box stores where I've over heard salesmen state that a 30/06 is the same/(interchangeable in the same gun) as a 30/30 or some other scat! I've bought 1 gun and a holster from them. Lots of jags and brushes, seems they are the only ones around that carry the full brass brushes. I've bought parts to restore grandpa's guns. Some speciality ammo. I've picked their brains on cleaning, break in procedures, general firearms stuff. I've had a trigger job done on my Ruger. It was done in about 5 days, 1 week before they promised it back to me. But I didn't wait until 1 or 2 weeks before the season. I think i had it done in March or something like that. The guy that did it said he just loves tuning up winchester and ruger triggers. It was funny, he took my rifle and said watch this. He check the chamber, closed it, took off the safety and hung it by the trigger on a peg. Thats a 7-8 pound rifle! Needless to say it is MUCH better now! I agree I have seen them be extremely rude to some customers, usually the ones pointing guns all round the store at customers and salesmen, while they are looking them over. But I give a little respect and get a lot when I go in there. I ask before I operate/check out a firearm, I ask questions before I take one down for inspections, I ask if it is okay to check the trigger, etc. I have the option to go doing off hours when they are not as busy, this helps. I try to understand what that little shop has to do to serve the population that visits it. There are just not that many good gun stores left, High demand. And I think there is only one guy that does the 'smithing. Not defending them, okay maybe a little. Just preaching a little empathy. Just my .02

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: Roger] #204201 08/27/07 01:36 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Where is this place? On Ave K? with the in house gun range ? or up north close to Legacy?

This time of year I can't imagine a big city 'smith being able to take in new cleaning work and getting it out in time for Dove Season. If you are in or close to Grayson County try Ray Zipper on Ranger Road up north of Pottsboro off Hwy 120, or Steve Allen on Hebron Road 1/2mile east of FM 1897 next to the Hebron Baptist Church - north of the Bells High School & Hwy 82. Have used Ray for years and trust him, and just met Steve and he seems like he has some solid experience and work ethics based on what I saw him do for free for some kids when he could have just as easily jacked them around.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: WileyCoyote] #204202 08/27/07 01:47 AM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Ron, the place is located on Ave. K (Plano Rd.) just south of Spring Creek Pkwy. on West side of the road. Wells Bros. farm store is in the same building.

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: JBCooper] #204203 08/27/07 05:59 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
JB, Thats what I thought ...in the same building as Wells Bro's.

Huh, except for the one doofus I run into some times in there (older? ...mebbe a bit younger than I am! wavy headed Italian looking guy who really doesn't like magnum rifles of any kind, and argued with me about the potential for success & market share that the new 375 Ruger had) I have always been treated decently by the owner - tall skinny guy who always wears a ball cap with an unformed flat bill. Can't say I've been too impressed with their reloading supply selection, inventory or prices as compared to Sportmans Warehouse but then Gander Mtn or anybody else in Dallas doesn't stack up too well there either, but I've seen some pretty decent prices on used rifles in there, including a Winchester M70 Classic Safari Grade 416Rem in 98%+ condition early last year for $850 that was a bloody steal of a deal I should have bought just to re-sell ... 'course I don't always pay a lot of attention to counter help's opinions about anything related to a gun, or judge a store by $5 an hour employee's either except when they won't wait on me or show me stuff and are not otherwise occupied. I taught some kids at an Academy store in west Plano a lesson when the two guys they had waited on ran a Straw Man sting on them...and walked away rather than bust the pair of teenagers behind the counter ...and got totally blank looks from them. Puffed up A'sst Store manager came by to listen ...and beat them up for not doing anything except yakking with me, and got an 30 minute earfull from me about his lax employee training & potential for losing his FFL...and got his attention bigtime.

The reason I asked about the location is that I've gotten more blow off attitude out of the place further south down Ave K around Parker Rd, where the indoor range is, than anyplace I've been in a long time and will never set foot in the place again. Eh! who knew...but then different folks are looking for different experiences and have different expectations.

I much prefer looking at a 'smiths shop area, work in progress and finished product to see a level of expertise that is acceptable to me before I'll let some guy lay hands on one of my toys ... and why I have made the rec's I've made in the past...and avoided mentioning some prominent DFW area shops altogther....'cause I can't speak intelligently one way or the other about them...or won't do bidnizz with them. Too bad Frank Smith sold Lone Star Guns - Ave K & Parker Rd and retired to the Commanche County ranch ...and what happens when ya get to be my age and marry again to a well fixed bride
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: WileyCoyote] #204204 08/27/07 07:00 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Quote:

Too bad Frank Smith sold Lone Star Guns - Ave K & Parker Rd

For some reason I am thinking that his place burned down. Am I wrong?

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: JCB] #204205 08/27/07 07:28 PM
T
TechHunter45 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I agree I shouldn't have thought I could get it done so close to season, figured it was worth a shot, but when a guy tells you two months on such a small type of job when the other guys in there are just sitting around looking at magazines it gives you a bad impression. I'll make due cleaning it myself I just thought it'd be good to have a professional go over everything and know what to look for if somethings wrong since it hasn't been in a shop for several years. I was mainly just turned off at the lack to offer any help and just snubbing their nose up at giving me any proffesional instruction or anything, which I asked for when finding out it'd take two months to get back. I ended up just saying , well thanks for nothing, and walked out. Never will return

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: TechHunter45] #204206 08/27/07 09:49 PM
S
supersweet442 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Yeah I have love-hate relationship with gunmasters. When trading a gun its worse than trading a car in. They get there little book out and offer that price. Ex: thought about trading my 44mag 629 classic ported for a HK and they offered me $350 for it. They wouldn’t budge on the HK USP 45 ($550) with the trade-in and cash. They do have good deals on rifles from time to time. But the there gunsmith does great work and from what I can tell reasonable price. There’s always wait for gun work. Had them fix my Interarms 7mm Rem mag- friend shot 7mm mauser through it , blew the bottom plate out and cracked the stock beyond repair. Charged $20 for the repair plus me providing the used stock(&125). Re-blued my Marlin “Zane Grey” 30-30-don’t remember the price. And they shimmed? The loose rear stock on my Winchester 30-30 for $60 I think. And all new internals on my Marlin 39 lever acton .22 octagon barrel. If there’s a gun I can’t fix I’ll take to them. Not sure if I’ll ever buy another gun from them. There’s only two guys that I’ll talk too and if there not there I’ll be in and out.
Thanks,
Joshua

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: JCB] #204207 08/28/07 12:04 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
RE: Lone Star Guns ...The guy Frank sold to only had the store open for about 6 months before it burned.

Tech Hunter - next time come on up here to Texoma since you are not terrible far away. Find Ray Zipper and give him a try. Ray is not far from retiring totally -gonna pull the same deal Frank Smith did with his school teacher wife, and Ray is only waiting for the current wife to retire in about 3 years and cash out his 23 acres of prime developmental land off Ranger Road between Hwy 120 and the COE land at the back end of Little Mineral Creek...and then he is headed south of San Antonio somewhere around Jourdanton I think it was.
Ron

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: WileyCoyote] #204208 08/28/07 02:07 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I have never dealt with them at all, but I couldn't guarantee a turn around by Saturday either. But I am still here at 10pm too! Paperwork, shipping/mailing, and prep work for tomorrow nights cleanings and daignosing...

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #204209 09/08/07 02:30 AM
B
bubba90j Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I go there pretty often to see what they have in stock.. there has been one person that really talked to me and had a conversation. They strike me as being pretty rude.. to name a couple reasons: too many short answers, no "thanks for coming in" (and other comments like that) when I walk out the door, just things that seems like a store like that should do.
Just a couple days ago I saw 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 surplus for $250.00 .. no lie..
Not trying to dog them or anything, just my personal experiences there.

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: bubba90j] #204210 09/11/07 02:43 PM
B
Budge Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I have been going to GunMasters in Plano for 3 years. They are a relatively quiet bunch. They are opinionated, but that's one of the reasons I go there. They have always been helpful with advice and special parts. They looked up and copied some disassembly instructions for a rare gun of my grandfathers and gave it to me when I asked. They also replaced a semi-auto magazine follower for free while I waited. They are good people...but I can see how their natures might be misunderstood.

Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: Budge] #204211 09/17/07 01:59 AM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I tried GunMasters on several occasions. As a potential customer I feel uneasy when I walk in, say hi, how are ya'all doing today and am greeted with no response and a blank stare.

That happened more than once. Sure not here to bad mouth anyone/or saying I'm right/their wrong/or vice-versa.

Bottom line. I'd rather shop elsewhere. Customer service is the name of the game. Treat folks right. They'll return. If not. You've lost them to your competition.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Gunmaster in Plano [Re: janie] #204212 09/19/07 06:16 AM
J
jmac Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I'm not particularly fond of this shop. I recently brought in a .204 to be recrowned, and after shooting it, found out that they hadn't properly crowned it, leaving considerable burrs at the end of the barrel. I wouldn't recommend having them work on your guns.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide