Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Moose K] #2041043 01/20/11 09:07 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Moose K
In response to thread about flooding corn fields and keeping water open, I suggested that Cable interview a DU guy.

I haven't shot a spoonie in several years, and any other issues you have with me could easily be resolved in person. up

How many people has Moose tried to meet at the Acadamy Parking lot?

His original statement was simply no where near threatening, or challenging of Moose the Mallard killer.

This this right here is why people think you are a little much.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: ducknbass] #2041088 01/20/11 09:22 PM
M
Moose K Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
That's the thing, I don't care. up

As far as I know the 10 or so friends I've made on here don't think I'm too much.

Mark called me an azz and questioned my skills, I responded.

Sorry to offend you HillbillyProud. rofl

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Mee] #2041097 01/20/11 09:24 PM
R
Reid D Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: Mee
DU manipulates habitat on public and private. Most of the land in the US is private, therefore most of the work is done on private ground. This all sounds like a serious case of butthurt from not being able to afford land or not living in an area that DU cares about. N. TX does winter anywhere near enough waterfowl for DU to worry about.

You guys should be just as mad at the entire state of arkansas, as they have been manipulating waterfowl habitat for decades.

What does being able to afford land have to do with anything? We are talking about what is occurring to the north.

And guess what, there is a difference. I don't pay taxes in Arkansas.

Advice is free, the right answer will cost plenty
Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Lance2373] #2041130 01/20/11 09:30 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I sensed a great disturbance in the Force and after looking around, found a barrel full of stupid in the form of this thread. There's been a lot of conjecture about shortstopping, most of it based on a total absence of knowledge regarding waterfowl biology. One need only peel back a couple of layers of the onion, however, to find that this insistence on the existence of widespread shortstopping on a scale sufficient to literally alter flyways has, at its source, the following sentiment:

Quote:
Try to find out what their plans are for the DFW guys. We represent a large source of revenue for TPWD, DU, Delta, and USFWS.

Now, if you'll pardon the preterition, we'll gloss over the part where the same guy whose apparent philosophy is that all conservation dollars raised in DFW should be spent in DFW also just said that he wants DU to do nothing but work on breeding habitat. Let's skip straight to the masturbatory selfishness of that sentiment. Fortunately, it is not one shared by the majority of the DU rank and file, nor the major donors. Most DU contributors understand that the money is best spent on areas critical to longterm population levels.

Hint: That's not the Dallas area.

It's also a curious (and amusing) aspect of the shortstopping argument to insist that the US Fish & Wildlife Service, even with its Byzantine bureaucratic proceedings and the glacial pacing of regulatory changes, would allow major manipulation of entire flyways to occur without a peep.

What completely bursts the bubble of the shortstopping theory, however, are the numbers. Did any of you shortstop true believers bother to check historic harvest numbers before subscribing to your pet theory? Doubtful. Like the most ardent liberals, you have a bit of dogma to which you cling and no volume of factual evidence refuting your belief system will ever change your mind.

Last edited by Threecurl; 01/20/11 09:33 PM.

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Reid D] #2041148 01/20/11 09:35 PM
M
Mee Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted By: Reid D
DU manipulates habitat on public and private. Most of the land in the US is private, therefore most of the work is done on private ground. This all sounds like a serious case of butthurt from not being able to afford land or not living in an area that DU cares about. N. TX does winter anywhere near enough waterfowl for DU to worry about.

You guys should be just as mad at the entire state of arkansas, as they have been manipulating waterfowl habitat for decades.

What does being able to afford land have to do with anything? We are talking about what is occurring to the north.

And guess what, there is a difference. I don't pay taxes in Arkansas.

You realize you can by land up north too? From where I sit, being able to afford land and the area you chose to live in makes all the difference. If you lived in Missouri, and could afford to own a couple hundred acres, then leave half your corn standing and put 3 foot of water in it, I doubt most of y'all would be complaining.

You can buy land here, do what the people up north do and hold ducks consistently. If you are stuck hunting public over what little food source we have here that it is getting hammered everyday then yeah..you're hunting probably stinks this year.

Most people see a habitat flats video and think that is what is keeping the ducks from coming down here. It's not. It's the lack of food and the crazy amounts of pressure in this area that keeps the ducks from coming down and staying. For every 1500 ducks that sit in a manipulated corn field up north, there are 5K that are getting skybusted and flying all over the place looking for some food when we don't have any.

If you're on private stuff this year thats allowed to be rested and has a food source, you're killing ducks, just like years past.

Last edited by Mee; 01/20/11 09:41 PM.
Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Mee] #2041171 01/20/11 09:40 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
If you're on private stuff this year thats allowed to be rested and has a food source, you're killing ducks, just like years past.

Ridiculous! Asinine! Unpossible! Everyone knows it's that damn DU and their nefarious shortstopping plan!

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Moose K] #2041220 01/20/11 09:53 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Not directed to any one person and this could be a good discussion on DU, but

keep the discussion from getting personal. Differences of opinions are welcome, but state your case intelligently and back it up with facts. Do not try to solve personal problems live on the forum. Be careful with the personal attacks or calling people out. Otherwise the thread will just get pulled.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Mee] #2041238 01/20/11 09:55 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I'd just like to say I'm probably not as good of a duck hunter as moose and roadgoeson but I bet I have just as much fun or more. However if either of you would like to challenge me at RBI baseball...the original on the original Nintindo you will be killed. I'm a master at that game...just sucks I peaked at finding the thing I'm better than other people at in seventh grade.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Threecurl] #2041239 01/20/11 09:55 PM
R
Reid D Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Why does it have to be all or nothing with you guys? And why do you insist on changing the subject? And who said I was complaining about my huntimg success this year?

You assume quite a lot. Just because there are still ducks making it down here does not mean the possibility that the natural migration is being artificially altered is out of the question.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Moose K] #2041249 01/20/11 09:57 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

As far as I know the 10 or so friends I've made on here don't think I'm too much.

He said your idea was asinine. He no where near called you an ___.

I don't get offended online. Hints the not asking people if they want to handle it in person.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Reid D] #2041251 01/20/11 09:57 PM
M
Mee Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Just because there are still ducks making it down here does not mean the possibility that the natural migration is being artificially altered is out of the question.

Then please provide data to support this claim.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Reid D] #2041260 01/20/11 10:00 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
You assume quite a lot. Just because there are still ducks making it down here does not mean the possibility that the natural migration is being artificially altered is out of the question.

The entire shortstopping theory is one giant assumption based on nothing more than anecdotal evidence that is in NO way borne out by harvest numbers in the southern tier of states of any flyway.

Last edited by Threecurl; 01/20/11 10:00 PM.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Threecurl] #2041270 01/20/11 10:02 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Didn't Al Gore make a movie on shortstopping?

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Txduckman] #2041278 01/20/11 10:03 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
LOL

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: ducknbass] #2041281 01/20/11 10:04 PM
M
Moose K Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

He said your idea was asinine. He no where near called you an ___.

I don't get offended online. Hints the not asking people if they want to handle it in person.

I'm not offended at all, just responded to the commentary directed at me.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Mee] #2041285 01/20/11 10:04 PM
R
Reid D Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Just because there are still ducks making it down here does not mean the possibility that the natural migration is being artificially altered is out of the question.

I would love to see some banding reports vs weather conditions over the past few years and that is exactly what som on here have suggested.

I don't think I need to show you data though for you to realize that for it to be proven to occur, even if only at the most minute level, all that has to be proven is that there are ducks feeding in open waters where the air temperature would otherwise freeze said water.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Reid D] #2041300 01/20/11 10:08 PM
R
Reid D Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
That has been the question all along. How much is it affecting the migration?

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Reid D] #2041326 01/20/11 10:12 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
That has been the question all along. How much is it affecting the migration?

It's not, or Texas would be killing fewer ducks in wet years and we're not. Any variability in our harvest can be directly correlated to poor hatch years. It's called science. It's pretty cool. It can prove stuff.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Reid D] #2041344 01/20/11 10:15 PM
M
Mee Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

I would love to see some banding reports vs weather conditions over the past few years and that is exactly what som on here have suggested.

I don't think I need to show you data though for you to realize that for it to be proven to occur, even if only at the most minute level, all that has to be proven is that there are ducks feeding in open waters where the air temperature would otherwise freeze said water.

And do you honestly think the miniscule amounts of acreage that is being left open for these ducks to feed in can effect the migration routes of millions of ducks? It's doubtful. The problem with the short stopping theory is people, not necessarily you, see a video of some guy flooding corn then sitting an ice eater in it all season and think that is affecting the migration pattern of millions of birds. When in actuality the amount of water that would have to be left open for this to happen would be so large only the U.S treasury could afford the diesel bill. So yes, while a few ducks may stop in Missouri or Nebraska, or Kansas because of ice eaters and flooded corn, to think that actually effects our hunting is ludicrous.

Last edited by Mee; 01/20/11 10:17 PM.
Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Threecurl] #2041347 01/20/11 10:17 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
When Threecurl starts posting I feel like I'm in special ed. He's like the Good Will Hunting of the duck blind. My boy is wicked smart.

Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Threecurl] #2041349 01/20/11 10:17 PM
R
Reid D Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
It is short sighted to thing that duck numbers are affected by that factor alone and to suggest that a point of view that does not match your own is some how liberal is a tad ridiculous.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Marcstar] #2041358 01/20/11 10:19 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
But Mee...isnt it true that DU makes those iceeaters with child labor and is using that money to fund terrorism?

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Reid D] #2041364 01/20/11 10:21 PM
M
Mee Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
The difference is TX kills the same amount of ducks as always. Which supports my belief that there is no short-stopping.

I have yet to see any data that shows short stopping to be real. If it were shown to me, I would change my mind..

Can you provide it? I really don't see how that is too much to ask?

Last edited by Mee; 01/20/11 10:21 PM.
Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Mee] #2041384 01/20/11 10:25 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
to think that actually effects our hunting is ludicrous.

Don't call him lud.

Re: Attention: Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Reid D] #2041391 01/20/11 10:26 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
It is short sighted to thing that duck numbers are affected by that factor alone and to suggest that a point of view that does not match your own is some how liberal is a tad ridiculous.

I'm not saying that believing in shortstopping makes one liberal. I said it makes one like a liberal, in that it is dogmatic adherence to a belief system that is in no way supported by actual facts or history. Take Keynesianism, for instance. Liberals loves 'em some Keynes. But Keynesian macro theory is, has been and always will be a complete train wreck. It has literally failed every time it has been tried, yet liberal stubbornly adhere to Keynesianism because it suits their personal belief system that government is the only force for social justice and equality.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide