Print Thread
Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? #2031365 01/18/11 02:37 AM
J
jrpbullrider Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
The older gentleman I work for wants me to find out what will it take to do this.

1st Make a pen big enough to hold about 15 hogs with water, food, shade, and a way to keep it clean.

2nd catch a few big ol males about 3 to 4

3rd go buy 12 to 14 young sows to breed with the wild boars.

4th make sure they all are healthy

5th get the young pig ready for the BBQ pit then start all over

Ok what I know is the pen will be cattle panels about 20 yards side to side around 1 of the bigger trees we have out there, that will be the shade for them. then I put something in it for them to hide in. set up some thing for the water the gives running water all of the time off of the well that is out there. Put a feeder out there on a timer for 3 times a day to feed. I know I will have to have a vet out there a few times checking on them. what else should I know I don't have a trap yet,

Will this work out and be worth it for good BBQ?

I told him it can be done but how much I don't know, and I don't know if it will be worth it. but he would like it and it sounds fun to try.

Thanks for any help.
John

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: jrpbullrider] #2031536 01/18/11 03:18 AM
M
MIGUEL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Why not just feed a straight wild one for a month or so and then butcher it. It takes a lot of the gamey taste out of the meat, also butcher a small one under 60 lbs. The pen thing is tricky they dig worse than an armadillo. Just seems like a lot of work and money for an experiment in my opinion.

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: MIGUEL] #2032585 01/18/11 03:24 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
No matter how much you feed out a ferral hog it wont marble fat, not fat inside the muscle, just between them. I know people who have break domestic hogs with ferral, I wouldnt do it, just to much hassle and expense... and Im pretty sure it is probably illegal.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: redchevy] #2033104 01/18/11 06:14 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
much easier to run all domestic

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: rifleman] #2033534 01/18/11 08:35 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Thats what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: rifleman] #2033726 01/18/11 09:27 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Exactly. Why would you go through all the trouble of catching boars?

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: Justin T] #2034161 01/18/11 11:46 PM
F
firehog261 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Only illegal if you breed and then let them out. You can keep all the wild hogs or domestic hogs you want in a pen. If your gonna buy and sell them, the pen has to be double fenced.

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: firehog261] #2034197 01/18/11 11:59 PM
C
Central Texas Hog Traps Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
might want to check on the tranportation laws, in county, county to county
i know there are loop holes, but.......

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: Central Texas Hog Traps] #2034308 01/19/11 12:31 AM
J
jrpbullrider Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
They will not be moved they will be cut up on site for BBQ for the family and this is what he would like to do. it is legal for what he wants to do I just needed some info on the way to do it. I was told the meat is good, better than just wild hog and more lean then domestic ones. I do not know?

I told him it can be done but how much I don't know, and I don't know if it will be worth it. but he would like it and it sounds fun to try.

How hard would it be and about how much $$ would it be?

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: jrpbullrider] #2034341 01/19/11 12:41 AM
B
BOB7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: jrpbullrider
The older gentleman I work for wants me to find out what will it take to do this.

1st Make a pen big enough to hold about 15 hogs with water, food, shade, and a way to keep it clean.

Ok what I know is the pen will be cattle panels about 20 yards side to side around 1 of the bigger trees we have out there, that will be the shade for them. then I put something in it for them to hide in. set up some thing for the water the gives running water all of the time off of the well that is out there. Put a feeder out there on a timer for 3 times a day to feed. I know I will have to have a vet out there a few times checking on them. what else should I know I don't have a trap yet,

Thanks for any help.
John

why ?
there are enough of the darn things running around why would you breed more ?
what is the benefit of breeding a feral hog to a tame hog ?..same species.

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: jrpbullrider] #2034384 01/19/11 12:49 AM
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
more than one boar ==Trouble

Domestic sows when in season can be placed in a pen next to the boar,and be turned in with him after a day or so and when serviced be put back in the pen.I would keep my boar completely seperate from the sows. Before farrowing place sow in a farrowing crate or homemade version and this will give the piglets a better chance of survival.Not sure what impact the feral genetics would have on the growth period , I would think that the cross piglets wouldnt grow as fast as normal domestic pigs. You will be able to answer that in 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days...GOOD LUCK keep us posted food

Re: Breeding wild to domestic Hogs???? [Re: BOB7] #2034422 01/19/11 01:00 AM
T
TX_Waterfowler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: BOB7
Originally Posted By: jrpbullrider

Thanks for any help.
John

why ?
there are enough of the darn things running around why would you breed more ?
what is the benefit of breeding a feral hog to a tame hog ?..same species.

X2! Do like we do set out portable traps and then when u got hogs bring em to ur holding pen.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide