Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In #2014664 01/12/11 11:43 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
So I have had my pup here for a week now. Initially there were some whining issues and so forth.

There are still some random whines (especially in the truck) but those have been reduced. However, he is not a very social creature at all. He does not like to be held and could kinda care less about anyone petting him. About all that gets him excited is food and retrieving.

When you pick him up, he squirms and wants down. If you put him in your lap, on the couch next to you, lay down in the floor with him, you have about 10 seconds before he bolts and goes to his crate or his hiding spot under the desk.

When you call him vigorously/happily, he just looks at you like "whatever". He seldom wags his tail, mostly when eating or retrieving.

Now, before you start in, this is a high bred dog. Excellent pedigree, so save that. And the breeder has agreed to a full refund if no change by next week this time.

But, I hate to give him back, but it's hard to get a good working relationship with a dog that you can't bond with.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make things better for him?

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: Jason B] #2014818 01/13/11 12:22 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
It's not that it's not a GOOD relationship that you can't develop, it's that it's not a WARM one. It might not be what you expected, but some dogs are this way. That doesn't mean he won't work for you. Every dog has his trigger and when you find his, that will be the motivation. It may not be what you expected or even wanted in terms of how you relate to your dog, but it's certainly not impossible.

I had a buyer decide against Bear because he was sooooo sullen as a puppy. I glady refunded his deposit, cuz Bear truly was one very serious pup and I didn't want him or his new owner to be unhappy. He never wagged his tail or 'smiled'. In fact, we called him "Poker Face Bear". He was aloof, distant and showed little desire to interact with people OR littermates.

I met him where he was at and we went from there. He is now 16 months old and an AWESOME dog that would do anything for me. He is the dog that gets the most compliments, due to his excellent obedience and I've turned down more than one offer to buy him. What a difference! His 'sullen' became 'focus'... incredible, intense focus. And, somewhere along the way, he learned to 'smile' too. Now, the pup that used to turn the cold shoulder now takes every opportunity to climb in my lap and I wouldn't trade him for the world!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2014845 01/13/11 12:31 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
How old is the pup? When did you pick him up? At what age? Sounds like the breeder might not have socialized him all that well.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: MS1454] #2014882 01/13/11 12:40 AM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
IronSpikes - Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. It's kinda weird and somewhat worrisome because you don't know where you stand or where/if you will end up with something. It's hard to train a dog you can't bond with.

MS1454 - I picked him up at exactly 7 weeks of age. When I contacted the breeder today, she did mention that the pup always stayed away from the other pups when they slept. She figured he was hot natured and got away to cool off.

Also, he does growl when you get your face close to his. He hasn't done it with me since I scruffed his neck, but he still does it on occasion with the kids.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2014900 01/13/11 12:45 AM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
It's not that it's not a GOOD relationship that you can't develop, it's that it's not a WARM one. It might not be what you expected, but some dogs are this way. That doesn't mean he won't work for you. Every dog has his trigger and when you find his, that will be the motivation. It may not be what you expected or even wanted in terms of how you relate to your dog, but it's certainly not impossible.

I had a buyer decide against Bear because he was sooooo sullen as a puppy. I glady refunded his deposit, cuz Bear truly was one very serious pup and I didn't want him or his new owner to be unhappy. He never wagged his tail or 'smiled'. In fact, we called him "Poker Face Bear". He was aloof, distant and showed little desire to interact with people OR littermates.

I met him where he was at and we went from there. He is now 16 months old and an AWESOME dog that would do anything for me. He is the dog that gets the most compliments, due to his excellent obedience and I've turned down more than one offer to buy him. What a difference! His 'sullen' became 'focus'... incredible, intense focus. And, somewhere along the way, he learned to 'smile' too. Now, the pup that used to turn the cold shoulder now takes every opportunity to climb in my lap and I wouldn't trade him for the world!

I bet that guy regrets that move.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2014991 01/13/11 01:05 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Sounds like you have what is going to be a strong, hardheaded, independant and retrieving machine. I hear what you are saying and don't have any advice except a buddy of mine wants that exact dog. He says you can ride their *** and be pretty heavy handed and it won't mess one like that up. He would mess a soft dog up in no time.

He has good dogs so I can't knock it...but mine sleeps in the bed with me so obviously I want a companion not a machine. grin

I guess I do have a little advice...listen to your gut. If this isn't the dog for you get another one before you have to much invested in this one. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: Judd] #2015027 01/13/11 01:13 AM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Judd
Sounds like you have what is going to be a strong, hardheaded, independant and retrieving machine. I hear what you are saying and don't have any advice except a buddy of mine wants that exact dog. He says you can ride their *** and be pretty heavy handed and it won't mess one like that up. He would mess a soft dog up in no time.

He has good dogs so I can't knock it...but mine sleeps in the bed with me so obviously I want a companion not a machine. grin

I guess I do have a little advice...listen to your gut. If this isn't the dog for you get another one before you have to much invested in this one. Good luck!

Judd, I'm the same way, would rather have a dog that wants to be my friend.

However, this dog is skittish so I bet you could break him pretty easy. Always has hit tail down (unless eating or retrieving).

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: Jason B] #2016190 01/13/11 12:31 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
First thing that came to my mind is that if he growls at your kids, GET RID OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a warning sign.

If you intend to keep him or give him a week trial, I would use really good and smelly treats to make him your friend. Always have them with you. Every time you walk to him, talk to him, call him, give him a treat. He will realize that this guy gives me treats all the time. Once you have made him your friend, yo can slowly reduce and elinate the treats.

Be careful with those kids. You can't take back a dog bite.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: stinkbelly] #2016245 01/13/11 01:05 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I was thinking along the same lines. Skittish and growls at such a young age. I think the age of your kids would make a lot of the decision for me. He's small now but they grow so fast.
The only thing I would add to stinkbellys comment is I would remove his food bowl. All food would be hand fed.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: kindall] #2016594 01/13/11 03:11 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I don't disagree with what's been said, but you've only had him a week. If he came from a breeder that didn't have kids, noise, etc. from a busy house, he needs some time to adjust. He may be a little skittish, but his whole world has been turned upside down - no more mama dog licking and loving on him, no more litter mates to play and romp with, new place, new people, loud kids and strange noises, etc. The kids are excited for him, but he needs a little space. Personally, I think 7 weeks is too soon, I know Richard Wolters said 49 days is perfect, but I disagree. I think he'll turn out fine, especially if he's got good bloodlines. Good luck.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: DoubleB20] #2016886 01/13/11 04:23 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
DoubleB20 that is a great post!!

Either give the pup more time to adjust or return the pup and cut your losses now. If you keep the puppy adjust to HIS "cues" not what YOU THINK his "cues" should be. The growling would be a concern for me but I am not with the puppy so it would be hard to judge the reasoning behind the growling via the internet.

Also,,,,,what else did the breeder say?? He/She had no indication of these personality traits with this puppy?? When you picked up the puppy he was obviously not acting this way...correct?? Or I assume you would not have chosen him. If he was happy and outgoing when you chose him at the breeder then it probably is just an adjustment problem....How hard with discipline are you on the puppy??

Good Luck with whatever you choose.....

Last edited by phb; 01/13/11 04:23 PM.
Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: phb] #2017073 01/13/11 05:11 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Thanks for all the input guys/gals.

First off, my only discipline has been very low key no's when he was chewing the bottom of the couch and once on an electrical cord. Other than that, there has been zero discipline. Not to make him sound like he's better than every other lab in the world, but he just doesn't get in any trouble.

He's only had one accident in the house since I brought him home 8 days ago, and there was no punishment/scolding involved with that.

The breeder did mention she noticed some of the things I am mentioning when he was there, but just figured it was puppy behavior.

The breeder knew what I wanted in a dog and they provided reports every couple of days as each males progress.

When I picked him, I had first pic and there were only two males. We took them in the office and i sat in the floor trying to play with them. Neither really wanted anything to do with me, but I figured it was just that I was new and they were busy scoping out an office they had never been in before.

A dead pigeon offered no additional insight as they both had the same desire to get it. So, I then moved on to calling them, this pup came somewhat to me, but again was distracted by the new smells I figured. Next, I picked them up one at a time. This pup would allow you to lay him on his back with almost no squirm. I had always been told that indicated an easier to train pup.

Lastly, I still couldn't really decide but one was definitely a little better looking than the other. However, I didn't want that to be a deciding factor as I am more interested in a serious duck dog than a show dog.

At the end, as we were sitting in chairs, it all came down to this pup as he walked over to me and layed down at my feet.

I did begin feeding him by hand last night.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: kindall] #2017083 01/13/11 05:14 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: kindall
I was thinking along the same lines. Skittish and growls at such a young age. I think the age of your kids would make a lot of the decision for me. He's small now but they grow so fast.
The only thing I would add to stinkbellys comment is I would remove his food bowl. All food would be hand fed.

My daughter is 14 and my son is 10. They do not pester him and no better to mess with my huntin' dogs lol.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: Jason B] #2017131 01/13/11 05:31 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Jason,

Thanks for some more background info. Going to visit or pick a puppy can be hard, there is so much to filter into the visit.....did they play hard before you came, did they eat before you came, etc. Those types of things might dictate how the puppy acts while your there. That is why I believe the breeder or caretaker of the puppies knows them best and should be able to give you the best advise about which one is best for you and your family.....it sounds like this puppy had these personality tendencies before you picked him up. If the breeder truely knew what you wanted and thought this puppy was a good fit then I would say, if there is no timetable on the return of the pup,,,,I would give him a couple more weeks ....if no better then return him and look for something else. This could very well be an adjust problem, especially if the puppy was not well socialized before you got him.

Last edited by phb; 01/13/11 05:35 PM.
Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: Jason B] #2017141 01/13/11 05:33 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Leave him chained alone for awhile. Pick him up, and hold him firmly by the neck, and cuddle him. It takes awhile but most will settle.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: phb] #2017155 01/13/11 05:39 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Ya, I have until next Wednesday to decide if I want to keep him. I really hate to give up on a dog just because of his personality is not exactly what I had invisioned.

The breeder had been giving me progress reports on them based on their collar colors, but felt either dog would do what I was looking for even if I just closed my eyes and picked one. When I got there, she tested me and had their collars off. She said she would tell me which was which, but wanted me to interact with them first and get a ballpark decision. She didn't want her view of what they were to 100% influence my decision.

As for the growling, he does it when he is laying on the floor or on your stomach or if you pick him up to hug on him and get close to his face. He does it occasionally now whereas when he first got here he did it nearly every time.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: stinkbelly] #2017221 01/13/11 06:01 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: stinkbelly
First thing that came to my mind is that if he growls at your kids, GET RID OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a warning sign.

Be careful with those kids. You can't take back a dog bite.

Sounds like a real problem puppy to me too. I'd send him back to the breeder and either trade him for a normal pup, or insist on my money back. In fact, I have taken one back to a breeder because altho he got along fine with me, he tried to eat my clients, my friend, and my granddaughters. Just not normal behavior for a wellbred English Pointer.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: Pointer] #2018220 01/13/11 10:59 PM
J
jjandcompany Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Pointers not a pet,> Working dog sorry to say that but its right,(90% of time,only thing needed is water feed an work in reverse order, With retrieving as secondary, Any family dog pet emotion shown is bonus, Other than glad to load in the truck,, Also slow to mature in confidence as to people association than other breeds, There out to do one thing run an find, an care less that your there. Your just traimer, transport an bucket handled, The finish dog is result of lot of corrections an opportunities And growlin an snap might resolve its self but gereraly comes from smallest/timid ones of litter Learned behavior. mIght try having kids do lead rope exercisr An note the torn face opportunitys, As their easier to influence than pup. And once that happens its fear of dog from then on, gone dog as per wife.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: Pointer] #2018237 01/13/11 11:05 PM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
shoot, you've only had him for a week. he still doesn't know where he is, who you are or what's going on. he might warm up in a while. that growling deal would worry me a bit though

Stand up for your rights to own and hunt with dogs
Join the Lonestar Working Dog Association
www.lswda.org
Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: DoubleB20] #2019260 01/14/11 03:59 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
I don't disagree with what's been said, but you've only had him a week. If he came from a breeder that didn't have kids, noise, etc. from a busy house, he needs some time to adjust. He may be a little skittish, but his whole world has been turned upside down - no more mama dog licking and loving on him, no more litter mates to play and romp with, new place, new people, loud kids and strange noises, etc. The kids are excited for him, but he needs a little space. Personally, I think 7 weeks is too soon, I know Richard Wolters said 49 days is perfect, but I disagree. I think he'll turn out fine, especially if he's got good bloodlines. Good luck.

I can't help but agree...

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2023451 01/15/11 04:57 PM
D
DUAggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Gotta agree that he just needs more time.

I've had labs my entire life and one thing you need to remember is that they all have individual personalities that you need to recognize.

Some are smarter, some birdier, some more driven, some hyper, some calm and you need to figure the trait out. Everyone of my dogs were different but I miss each one equally.

Had a male similar to yours. Wouldn't fetch, never chewed, never had an accident in the house. Whined a little but not much. Somewhere around 6 months he found his "trigger" and turned absolutely retrieving crazy. The guy is solid muscle and it's impossible to wear him out. But it turns on only when it's time to work or hunt.

If he came from a championship bloodline it's in his DNA to work and please you. I would give him more time and if you still don't bond with this dog then send me a PM.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: DUAggie] #2025361 01/16/11 06:03 AM
G
GigEmAggies Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Only lab I have ever owned is Suede, but I have been around them my whole life.

All I can say is I was kind of freaking out like you are the first few weeks when I got Suede. I got her to get my ducks, plain and simple. I didn't want a pet I wanted a tool. At first she wouldn't pick up something if I threw it, she wouldn't come when called, and she took forever to really know her name. Now she is exceeding all expectations I had for her, and she is definitely more than a tool to me now.

Just like everyone said, it's something inside them that just clicks and from that point on they just wanna make you happy, it's a beautiful thing.

I would keep the pup. Go ahead and nip that growling in the bud though.

Last edited by gigemaggie; 01/16/11 06:04 AM.

They're not looking for one thing right....they're looking for one thing wrong.

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: GigEmAggies] #2039817 01/20/11 03:56 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Jason - update? How's the pup doing now?

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: DoubleB20] #2040209 01/20/11 05:47 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
Jason - update? How's the pup doing now?

DoubleB - Thanks for asking.

What a difference a week makes. It was planned to return the pup to the breeder on Sunday (she recommended that after I talked to her). But Saturday evening I noticed him kind of coming around. By Sunday, I just couldn't really give up on him. I called the breeder and told her I would just keep him and work through it all somehow.

I had some help through another forum from really well known pro's that make training videos and do it for a living. A couple offered their phone numbers and told me to call anytime.

They both gave me some excellent insight as to what may be going on and how to address it all. They were both spot on and now, you can't get away from him. He follows us everywhere we go and even has to lay with momma at night in the recliner and watch tv/nap.

He still growls at the kids every now and again, but we have cut that way down too.

He is a retrieving machine! Absolutely loves it. I'm only giving him about 4 a day right now, but he has the drive I was looking for.

He comes from an amazing pedigree with so many titled dogs and his dad having the HRCH and JH titles and his mother has her HRCH as well as Upland title.

He's only seen on live bird (pigeon when he was at the breeders) but he already stares down and stalks every red bird and finch that he spots.

Again, thanks for asking and when it warms up a bit, want to come out and do some training with you.

Jason

Re: Need Some Help - Everyone Chime In [Re: Jason B] #2040232 01/20/11 05:54 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Great! Just give me a shout, I'll probably have a pigeon or two he can chew on and carry around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide