Forums46
Topics538,578
Posts9,738,748
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: BMD] #2022070 01/15/11 12:20 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Hey BMD do you know about when they changed the safety/bolt thing? I have a older CDL and it opens with the safety on, so I am just wondering it it was fixed or recalled, did they recall that problem?

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: BMD] #2022084 01/15/11 12:26 AM
Txkiller Offline OP
the terminator
OP Offline
the terminator
Guys I really didnt want this thread to turn into a Remington bashing thread it was a freak accident! I have two other remi's here and they never had an issue but this one did its getting a new trigger either way but right now shes going in the safe!

Chill out and learn about the accident theres no need to bash each other or the company cheers

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: BMD] #2022090 01/15/11 12:28 AM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Well, what's more important is that TxKiller was not injured or killed. And I hope that Remington investigates these incidents without sweeping them under the rug before someone gets injured or killed.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: fowlplayr] #2022123 01/15/11 12:41 AM
TexasTransplant Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
Vanguard will be along shortly to help train-wreck this thread. hammer
...3...2...1... grin

Don't be a savage. bolt

She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.
Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: grout-scout] #2022126 01/15/11 12:42 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Hey BMD do you know about when they changed the safety/bolt thing? I have a older CDL and it opens with the safety on, so I am just wondering it it was fixed or recalled, did they recall that problem?

I am not sure the exact year that was changed, the factory 30/06 I have was probably bought in 1970 if I remember correctly, I don't remember cdl's when I was a kid just adl and BDL, I am betting it didn't have to be fixed, mine will be changed when it goes to Kampfeld, it was my fathers 06 and he has passed and my daughter wants it custom for her. I will have action trued and squared, and new barrel chambered in 280 for her, I have never changed from Remington triggers even in the custom builds.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: BMD] #2022191 01/15/11 01:12 AM
R
Rebel. Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Amantine, order a Rifle Basix with safety from their site. They set it to your desired weight of pull. They're good people, fantastic customer service, and make excellent triggers.

I've had and still have many other brands, and I've been thoroughly impressed with their triggers.

If you come by the house tomorrow, stop in and I'll let you shoot one.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: Rebel.] #2022232 01/15/11 01:25 AM
Txkiller Offline OP
the terminator
OP Offline
the terminator
I will give you a buzz up

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: Txkiller] #2022248 01/15/11 01:31 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Txkiller
I went out last night looking for pigs I didnt see any so I decided to start calling for some yotes not even 5 minutes into my calling a good size yote came in. I got my optics mounted and the rifle in position I had my left hand on the forearm like I always do and my right hand I was using my index finger and thumb at the same time to release the safety and disaster struck the damn rifle went off!!!! Has anybody ever had this happen to them im really tempted to send this rig back to remington for a replacement the rifle is brand new with probably 150 rds down the tube confused2

Model 700 XHR in 30.06
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/39768678#39768678

[Linked Image]
Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: Tin Head] #2022302 01/15/11 01:50 AM
D
dickiedoo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Glad everyone involved in this is ok that proves gun saftey works.Just the other night i was getting my old trusty rem 300 win mag out of the safe and as allways i had unloaded it and held the trigger to uncock the bolt before i stored it.Well as i was standing there i worked the bolt and as soon as i put the handle down it clicked it did this twice in a row.I messed with the trigger a little bit and it stoped doing it but i put it up untill i can get it checked out.About 15 years ago i had a custom rifle go of while i was unloading it scared the crap out of me so i know how you feel i love my rem 700 i have serval and have no plans in getting rid of any of them but remember guns are tools and tools fail anything can happen with any gun just be safe and get it fixed good luck sir and keep on hunting.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: Tin Head] #2022315 01/15/11 01:54 AM
M
missingAK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Killer....It happened to me too.

Then you got guys like BMD and his remington stoolies calling everyone liars. Guess he knows everything.

I like remington, and will continue to use them with aftermarket triggers. The point is, this has happened too many times to just dismiss it and blindly defend the company. Just beware that this "perfect" rifle doesn't always have to have the trigger pulled to fire (which to me is a scary quality in any firearm.)

Do you work for remmy BMD? Just curious.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Winston Churchill
Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: missingAK] #2022326 01/15/11 02:00 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: missingAK
Killer....It happened to me too.

Then you got guys like BMD and his remington stoolies calling everyone liars. Guess he knows everything.

I like remington, and will continue to use them with aftermarket triggers. The point is, this has happened too many times to just dismiss it and blindly defend the company. Just beware that this "perfect" rifle doesn't always have to have the trigger pulled to fire (which to me is a scary quality in any firearm.)

Do you work for remmy BMD? Just curious.

I have no personal ties and you can read above I have talked with killer personally today, and as I said before not getting in the middle of a train wreck on his thread!
So if if you wanna continue this do it somewhere else smile

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: BMD] #2022330 01/15/11 02:02 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Sweet... now I got a reason for a jewell.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: BMD] #2022365 01/15/11 02:12 AM
K
KellyAsh Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: KellyAsh

Google "Remington 700 rifle problems" then Google "Savage rifle problems" or "Weatherby rifle problems" or even "Ruger rifle problems". The VAST majority of problems in the safety are are with Remingtons. The evidence is OVERWHELMINGLY stacked against Remington's quality. So much so that anyone that hold Remingtons as the "best" rifle out there don't know their arses from an anthill.

The rookie speaks, simple "then you don't buy one but personally you don't know your arse from anthill"

What have I portended to know that I don't? I know my arse from any anthill in any discussion because I don't simply throw garbage for arguments out there because I have no foundation for them, unlike you. You try and discredit my argument by calling me a rookie. Why resort to attacking my experience level when this is about facts that require no practical experience.

I might be a rookie when it comes to the details of bolt guns but not to common sense which is all that's required here. I found well over 30 pages of Google searches talking about the safety issues Remingtons have had for decades. They are no mystery and they are no secret. I don't have to be some expert to read the facts. They are there and no amount of your blind following of Remington products is going to change what is and what is, is you cannot buy a low end Remington today with the same level of confidence as you can most other brands of rifles.

I didn't start my search for a good, cheap gun with any sort of bias. Any bias I have now is a result of my own experience plus a dozen, or so, other's advice and experience, as well as the reports and reviews I read online. As well, I can explain every bit of my bias with logical rational. You have yet to do the same.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: KellyAsh] #2022406 01/15/11 02:26 AM
M
missingAK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I don't need to do research, and I don't need testimonials. This happened to me, several years before I ever read about it happening to anyone else. TxKiller seems to be a reputable member on this site, and the fact that it happened to him to should give some credibility.

For those of you reading this thread hoping to better equip yourself to safely use a firearm; let it be known that you never point a rifle at anything you don't intend to shoot. Cases like these are the exact reason safety rules like this are important. No rifle is perfect, and they are all deadly. Sometimes you just expect better things from a company like Remington.

As for my comments to you BMD...I stand by them. If you don't work for Remington, maybe you should be getting paid a little on the side for you staunch defense of them during these threads. Why do you even feel the need to comment if you believe people who have this happen are liars, idiots, "bubba's" or whatever else you have said. It's a free country I guess....

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Winston Churchill
Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: Rebel.] #2022417 01/15/11 02:29 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Rebel.
Amantine, order a Rifle Basix with safety from their site. They set it to your desired weight of pull. They're good people, fantastic customer service, and make excellent triggers.

I've had and still have many other brands, and I've been thoroughly impressed with their triggers.

If you come by the house tomorrow, stop in and I'll let you shoot one.

I have tried the Rifle Basix triggers in 2 of my Remingtons. One is doing great and set at 2 lbs on my .223. Rifle is a 700BDL. It was my test rifle for a trigger that I could adjust to see if I liked it. Bought another one last spring for my .270 SPS BDL and put it in. Had it set at 2 lbs also. When I put a trigger in I take a rubber mallet and check by hitting the barrel to see if the rifle will fire on saftey and then off. With the .223 it did not but the .270 would fire when hitting the barrell if it was on fire. It would not fire when it was on safety. I call Rifle Basics and he sent me a new trigger preset to 2 lbs. and sent the old one back. Same issue again as it would fire on fire hitting the barrell. Still have the old Rifle Basic trigger but will send it back. Order a Jewell Trigger direct from them and put it in and have not had one issue with it yet. I would be leary of the Rifle Basic triggers from my experience with them on 2 out of 3. I have owned Remingtons since the late 60's and never had an issue with one going off when putting it on fire.

Last edited by stxranchman; 01/15/11 02:31 AM.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: missingAK] #2022418 01/15/11 02:29 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
BMD ruined hunting too!

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: JCB] #2022436 01/15/11 02:35 AM
M
missingAK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: JCB
BMD ruined hunting too!

Nah, He just lost my respect for his opinion on any of these topics about remington issues.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: missingAK] #2022454 01/15/11 02:44 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
BMD ruined hunting too!

Nah, He just lost my respect for his opinion on any of these topics about remington issues.

I really don't recall wanting your respect, I said before I have talked with Killer and have in No shape form or fashion called him a liar or questioned his integrity.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: missingAK] #2022458 01/15/11 02:45 AM
K
KellyAsh Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
BMD ruined hunting too!

+1 The only thing he ruined was his own credibility.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: KellyAsh] #2022461 01/15/11 02:46 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
BMD ruined hunting too!

flush

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: BMD] #2022474 01/15/11 02:53 AM
K
KellyAsh Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: BMD
BMD ruined hunting too!

flush

Hahahahaha! Brilliant response! Exactly what I expected out of you. Lordy, I hope you know more about Remingtons than you do everything else you've tried to play "expert" at, othwerise you might have lead TxKiller down the wrong path in your discussion and bring some real harm to him.

TxKiller, I'd research whatever it is this guy told you. I wouldn't trust anything he had to say about anything, at this point.

Good luck, man. I hate hearing stuff like this and thank my lucky stars I haven't encountered anything like this more than the one time it did happen to me with a Ma Duece almost 20 years ago.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: KellyAsh] #2022495 01/15/11 03:00 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Dude you have know idea what you are talking about.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: BMD] #2022500 01/15/11 03:01 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Boy o boy some of you fellas need to read the whole thread! BMD never called Killer or others a liar!
And BMD thanks for the info on the trigger/safety deal. I got this gun from my grandpa and I'm pretty sure it's not 30 years old maybe 20 ish though. How does that 7-08 shoot and how's the recoil for the daughter, tolerable? It won't be long before this tread is on lock down, so talk to you fellers later.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: grout-scout] #2022522 01/15/11 03:07 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Thanks man, I assure I have not called killer a liar or questioned his integrity, I wanted to know I have safe a full of them why would I not want to hear it exactly from the horses mouth of a guy I trust as to try a decipher thru all the bs on the forum and I apologize to him for the bs on his thread. The recoil was a little shock for her, but after the first three shots she settled in with it and she shot three shot group about size of a quarter, and then smoked the doe, so it was a good deal for her. Thanks for asking.

Re: Serious safety issue with the 700 last night. [Re: grout-scout] #2022546 01/15/11 03:14 AM
M
missingAK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Boy o boy some of you fellas need to read the whole thread! BMD never called Killer or others a liar!
And BMD thanks for the info on the trigger/safety deal. I got this gun from my grandpa and I'm pretty sure it's not 30 years old maybe 20 ish though. How does that 7-08 shoot and how's the recoil for the daughter, tolerable? It won't be long before this tread is on lock down, so talk to you fellers later.

This isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last time this is discussed. I appologize for not clarifying...My comments were based on accusations made in other threads as well. I'll leave you fella's to it though.
cheers flag up...and any other emoticons that mean, "this really doesn't change my life much"

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide