Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What would you do? [Re: Bearwhiz] #1839921 11/17/10 03:24 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
there is no telling where this story could end up. good luck DuctTape

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: What would you do? [Re: Bearwhiz] #1841001 11/17/10 03:39 PM
O
Olivia Nalos Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
You're certainly not going to let him keep that buck or the meat... are you??? That should be confiscated from him & leave him with just a picture!

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #1841051 11/17/10 03:48 PM
triggerdan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I know of similar situation that happened last year. The deer was allowed to leave the ranch so not to cause a heated confrontation. The game warden was notified and the cape was confiscated and returned to the ranch. I do not know if the meat was returned or not.

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #1841066 11/17/10 03:54 PM
T
the rattler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
A lot of the answers are correct but you have learned a vlasuable lesson.
1. Set limits & guidelines on who & how many you invite because this is waht happens when you show that your "easy"
2. Make a monetary statement about what will happen if a buck is shot. Make a big deal out of it & say it several times. You may even want to get it in writing. Talk to the dad's & let them know they are responsible for their kids.

I once had to calm a man down as he was about to stab another hunter for ruining his morning hunt with his "innocent but stupid drive by the blind & waive as he was lost routine"

Good luck next time.

"110 Rattlers to date, so many snakes,so little time"
Re: What would you do? [Re: the rattler] #1841116 11/17/10 04:10 PM
B
Bobby_G Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
After reading this again, I think you have a couple of choices.

1.) Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Personally I like to take guests on my place...but again, we have a written agreement and there are NO questions as to what he/she can shoot. I don't think you're gonna have any luck with this POS because if he was brazen enought to shoot a buck after being told otherwise...he just doesn't care... and theres no way you will get a penny out of him unless you find a legal solution...

2.) Find a legal solution. Get with a GW for guidance...maybe you know an attorney or can get referred to one that will consult with you affordably to provide a path to legal action...Hell, I've seen some ridiculous suits on Judge Judy...

The one thing I WOULD be careful of is to WHOM you speak and to WHAT you put in writing. Slander and libel suits can be very tricky. It's slanderous if one makes FALSE statements that place someone else in a negative light. And while you may darn well be making FACTUAL statements in your eyes, if a judge sees it differently, things can get ugly (and I'm using "you" in the general connotation)...

The one thing I've learned over the years as a private business owner is to be careful in choosing your battles. Defending something is expensive...and while I/You/They may win, the cost of being right may exceed the principle worth of the win...

whats that saying??..."you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride..."

"When I die...I'd like to die like my pawpaw....peacefully....in my sleep...not screaming and hollering like those people in his car"
Re: What would you do? [Re: Bobby_G] #1841184 11/17/10 04:28 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Update...I spoke with the Dad this morning. We discussed the situation and he was very apologitic. I told him him that he needed to pay 600.00 directly to my brother in law and he said that he would. I also asked him to wrtie a letter of apology to my wife and brother in law which he said he would do.

1200 is what we would charge and in theory we would split that amount between the two of us. There is no doubt that there was/is a lesson that I learned. I am culpable to the extent that I should have not taken them hunting anyway. My share of 600 is not going to make me feel better about the situation.

I am hopeful that his actions are true to his words.

we are all here cause we aint all there!
Re: What would you do? [Re: Bobby_G] #1841211 11/17/10 04:33 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Bobby_G

1.) Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Personally I like to take guests on my place...but again, we have a written agreement and there are NO questions as to what he/she can shoot. I don't think you're gonna have any luck with this POS because if he was brazen enought to shoot a buck after being told otherwise...he just doesn't care... and theres no way you will get a penny out of him unless you find a legal solution...

2.) Find a legal solution. Get with a GW for guidance...maybe you know an attorney or can get referred to one that will consult with you affordably to provide a path to legal action...Hell, I've seen some ridiculous suits on Judge Judy...

The one thing I WOULD be careful of is to WHOM you speak and to WHAT you put in writing. Slander and libel suits can be very tricky. It's slanderous if one makes FALSE statements that place someone else in a negative light. And while you may darn well be making FACTUAL statements in your eyes, if a judge sees it differently, things can get ugly (and I'm using "you" in the general connotation)...

The one thing I've learned over the years as a private business owner is to be careful in choosing your battles. Defending something is expensive...and while I/You/They may win, the cost of being right may exceed the principle worth of the win...

Thanks for the advice.

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #1841216 11/17/10 04:34 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Are you keeping the buck or is he?

Re: What would you do? [Re: Olivia Nalos] #1841227 11/17/10 04:36 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Olivia Nalos
You're certainly not going to let him keep that buck or the meat... are you??? That should be confiscated from him & leave him with just a picture!

My thought is that he shot and tagged the deer. I am have no authority to confiscate it. I am going to call my local game warden and have a discussion about it with him though.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Justin T] #1841241 11/17/10 04:38 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: DuctTape

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice.
Originally Posted By: Justin T
Are you keeping the buck or is he?

The buck is at the local processors. I have assumed along that the buck is in his possesion and not mine.

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #1841242 11/17/10 04:39 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Olivia Nalos

My thought is that he shot and tagged the deer. I am have no authority to confiscate it. I am going to call my local game warden and have a discussion about it with him though.

If he truely felt sorry, maybe you could suggest he have you a replica mount made for the ranch, if that is something you'd want.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Justin T] #1841599 11/17/10 06:31 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
i guess time will tell wat this man will do. lets hope he keeps his word.

Re: What would you do? [Re: TAT] #1844355 11/18/10 03:44 PM
T
Texas Heat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Any kind of updates?

Re: What would you do? [Re: Texas Heat] #1844974 11/18/10 06:25 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
x2

Re: What would you do? [Re: TAT] #1845384 11/18/10 08:21 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: 214tat2guy
x2

Both my wife and brother in law received an email apology. My wife sent back a response which did not suprise me but she was very diplomatic and straight forward with her thoughts. I do not know what my brother in law has done in response but I am sure he has some thoughts as well.
I had set up a trip for another "real" friend to come hunt with his wife this weekend but decided to cancel because of all this. Only because this is still to fresh in my mind. Unlike the other 2, he has helped over the last few years including welding our fence and metal buildings. He is a good guy and understand but would like to kick the fire out of that Dad.

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #1858402 11/23/10 06:09 PM
T
TBS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Any additional updates? Did the guy ever pay up?

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: What would you do? [Re: TBS] #1875365 11/30/10 01:53 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
DuctTape you displayed a great deal of class!

Last edited by Joe Beran; 11/30/10 01:53 PM.

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: What would you do? [Re: Chief Joe] #1875469 11/30/10 02:27 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
This is why we never let someone bring a guest to our lease until the extended doe season in January.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: What would you do? [Re: Dry Fire] #1876030 11/30/10 05:03 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I just wish we would stop calling the guy "Coach". He's a banker, lawyer, mechanic, plumber, heck I don't know, but he's not a "coach".

Re: What would you do? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2013346 01/12/11 05:51 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
As of today we still have not been paid! I have contacted my attorney.

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #2013348 01/12/11 05:54 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Seriously, don't let him off. Let him know that you'll be suing for both unpaid damages and attorney fees.

Re: What would you do? [Re: cameron00] #2014071 01/12/11 09:05 PM
C
C-Jags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
i went as a guest with a great friend this year (same situation except spikes were allowed) and saw a decent 8 pt. i didn't even bring up the scope to look at him because there was no way in hell i wanted to tempt myself by having a gun pointed there...

A.
Hole.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide