Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with #2008910 01/11/11 04:34 PM
O
Outdoorgal Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
My friend at has a 7yr old registered yellow lab that is wanting to breed with another yellow lab. He has all the documentation for the bloodlines.

I don't know much about breeding hunting dogs, so ask whatever you need to know and I will find out for ya.

PM me is thats easier

thanks,

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, for whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: Outdoorgal] #2009293 01/11/11 06:16 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Here we go again! The breed clubs in Houston are filled with people who are looking for females to breed to old Sooner. It's not going to happen, or at least it's not likely to happen. It wouldn't happen to me and my females, unless the stud had some numbers on his pedigree. I'm looking for national champions, if I'm breeding.

One of my females is out of a hall of famer, by a hall of famer. The other is one generation down. There's no comparision.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: bill oxner] #2009476 01/11/11 06:54 PM
O
Outdoorgal Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
well, his dog is a great hunting dog and came from good hunting bloodlines from what he says.

I'll look into the "numbers."

I guess, thanks for giving me a heads up that it won't happen.

But I'm going to look anyway.

I'll look into the breed clubs as well......

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, for whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: Outdoorgal] #2009652 01/11/11 07:34 PM
S
Skoal Runs Kennel Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Mr. Oxner do you like Black German Shorthairs?

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: Skoal Runs Kennel] #2009774 01/11/11 07:46 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Skoal Runs Kennel

Depends on their performance! I've never seen one work, but I do like shorthairs.

I know I sounded a little blunt on my first reply, but people with good dog can breed to national champions. Forget that stuff about to quailified females only.

I'm not breeding, but I know of only two pointer males in Texas, to which I would breed if they're still living.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: Skoal Runs Kennel] #2009800 01/11/11 07:51 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Outdoorgal...

I hate to beat the same drum some others here do but there are somethings that need to be done prior to breeding to know if you have the right dog to pass on.

1. Hips/elbows xrayed and certified
2. Eyes
3. EIC carrier/positive/clear

Those get you started but most people want titles in either HRC or AKC. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: Judd] #2009824 01/11/11 07:56 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Remember the day when you heard of a local guy who's dog had a litter, you picked one out and trained it, hunted with it and let it poop in the yard for 10 years?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: passthru] #2010791 01/11/11 11:33 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: passthru
Remember the day when you heard of a local guy who's dog had a litter, you picked one out and trained it, hunted with it and let it poop in the yard for 10 years?

I gotta shovel chit for 9 more years?????

Last edited by nogeese; 01/11/11 11:33 PM.

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: nogeese] #2010833 01/11/11 11:43 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
rofl @ NG.

PT - not sure if that is directed at my comments or not but I am going to assume (yeah, I know that that does smile ) it was. I also remember the days without cell phones, internet and microwaves but you ain't getting none of those from me. Things have changed for the better in some instances, take advantage of them when you can. wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: passthru] #2011017 01/12/11 12:38 AM
O
Outdoorgal Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: passthru

Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about breeding hunting dogs. It's not my dog. I'm not trying to research everything about every potential mate. My friend wants a lab that has good natural instincts, likes to hunt, etc.

If there is someone out there that is in the same scenario then cool, if not no big deal.

So to clarify, if there is someone out there that has a female yellow lab that would like pups from a 7yr old yellow male let me know.....doesn't have to be some "super bloodline." My friend is bringing me the papers and background on his dog so I'll have more information to share then.....sorry i didn't have it sooner.

Just wanted to throw it out there to help a friend out. I do realize that most of yall are very gun dog savy.....me on the other hand, I'm learning.

more/better info to come........

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: Skoal Runs Kennel] #2011152 01/12/11 01:15 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Skoal Runs Kennel

Not sure what that has to do with yellow labs but...

Last edited by MS1454; 01/12/11 01:16 AM.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: MS1454] #2011199 01/12/11 01:32 AM
S
Skoal Runs Kennel Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Didnt mean anything real bad by it. And I was happy with his response.

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: Skoal Runs Kennel] #2011251 01/12/11 01:48 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nothing wrong with a little hijack every once and awhile to keep the thread going.

[Linked Image]

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: bill oxner] #2012250 01/12/11 12:11 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Honestly, the guy who posted the original post is just looking to breed. I know if he doesn't do his research, he will be hurting the lab breed as a whole, but that is his right within the AKC. The majority of the experienced gun dog owners won't buy this type of bred puppy, but there are thousands of people out there who would love a parking lot puppy. Most of those are the people who think they want to hunt.

Good luck finding a mate. Unfortunately you are in the pool and the female gets to pick from the breeding pool.

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: bill oxner] #2012877 01/12/11 03:52 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Nothing wrong with a little hijack every once and awhile to keep the thread going.

...I was gonna say as much... rofl Anyway, helps OutdoorGal with the bump, eh?

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2018324 01/13/11 11:33 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
I got my girl from a BRB and she is totally awsome and healthy as a horse... Just sayin.

best dog I have ever had far and away...

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: nogeese] #2020364 01/14/11 04:32 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Outdoorgal don't let them discourage ya, there is a dog owner out there that will probably want to have their dog bred by the dog you mention. I have had my dogs bred by friends and other with good hunting dogs despite not have all the certifications those hard core breeders on here want you to have. Every lab I have ever owned have been awesome in the field and not one of them came with all the fancy paper work. I know there is alway a chance of getting a lemon (even with all the test). Most hard core breeders don't want backyard breeders (not puppy mill) because they can sell their pups so much cheaper. If you are like me you can't afford to spend $800+ on a labrador pup. I have yet to spend over $200 on a lab pup and have had some amazing hunting dogs. It's more than likely gonna depend on how much time you have to train your dog more than what is typed on a piece of paper. Good luck to you.

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: westtexaswatkins] #2020464 01/14/11 04:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
westtexaswatkins, you just made our point. Why breed your female to an unknown, and get $1,600 for a litter of 8, when you can breed it to a national champion, and get $8,000 for a litter of 8?

[Linked Image]

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: bill oxner] #2020630 01/14/11 05:44 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
westtexaswatkins, you just made our point. Why breed your female to an unknown, and get $1,600 for a litter of 8, when you can breed it to a national champion, and get $8,000 for a litter of 8?

Dosent sound like he is in it for the money...

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: westtexaswatkins] #2020715 01/14/11 06:01 PM
D
Duck_Dogs Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Every lab I have ever owned have been awesome in the field and not one of them came with all the fancy paper work. I know there is alway a chance of getting a lemon (even with all the test). Most hard core breeders don't want backyard breeders (not puppy mill) because they can sell their pups so much cheaper. If you are like me you can't afford to spend $800+ on a labrador pup. I have yet to spend over $200 on a lab pup and have had some amazing hunting dogs.

The reason a lot of breeders dont want "backyard breeders" is not because they can sell pups cheaper, or they are breeding dogs without the best pedigrees but is for health reasons of the pups. Not everyone needs a pup out of two Field Champions, but I strongly believe they should get a pup out of parents that have all of their health clearances. That includes hips, elbows, eyes, CNM and EIC. That’s the problem with a lot of breeders they don’t know what health issues the parents have. A lot of health issues do not show up until a dog is older, well after the dog has been breed and produced X amount of pups that now potentially have these genetic health issues.

It sounds like you have been lucky with your dog purchases to date, but the vet costs associated with some of the listed health issues will easily exceed the couple hundred dollar price difference saved when the dog was a pup.

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: nogeese] #2020724 01/14/11 06:04 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: nogeese

Dosent sound like he is in it for the money...

What he are you talking about. He has the male dog looking for a female, to produce a cheap litter.. Most female owners won't go for it. I wouldn't. I'd breed to a national champion.

[Linked Image]

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: bill oxner] #2020941 01/14/11 06:59 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Not everyone can afford one of your national champion dogs. Should they just go without because they don't meet your standards? I think not. This has been debated on here many times and we won't change each others mind. It's all in what you want/can afford in the dog you choose. I've had 5 labs and I guess I have been lucky because none of them came with certifications other than A.K.C. and have had no major medical issues. For the field trialer guys you may need the best of everything, but for the average guy that hunts a few times a year and wants a family dog, why would you want to spend that kind of money?

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: westtexaswatkins] #2021227 01/14/11 08:08 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
With a good female, it's not spending money. It's making money and getting good placements for the pups.

Let someone get on here with a good female, looking for a stud, and people will be knocking on their door.

[Linked Image]

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: bill oxner] #2021468 01/14/11 09:03 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
With a good female, it's not spending money. It's making money and getting good placements for the pups.

Let someone get on here with a good female, looking for a stud, and people will be knocking on their door.

I will be be breeding my girl after next hunting season... smile would love to have two dudleys, she is fine no health issues at all and since she didnt come from some field trial line I dont have to worry about EIC stir and I am not going to make a dime on the deal. If I sell the pups at all it will be to cover the price of the shots and vet bills.

My girl has given so much to me and my family I only feel it is the right thing to do to allow other hunting family's to be able to share some of that as well.

anyway when the time comes I will find her a good male, and make alot of people happy.

Last edited by nogeese; 01/14/11 09:09 PM.

Re: Need Yellow Female Lab to Breed with [Re: nogeese] #2021590 01/14/11 09:35 PM
M
Mud Shark Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: nogeese

I will be be breeding my girl after next hunting season... smile would love to have two dudleys, she is fine no health issues at all and since she didnt come from some field trial line I dont have to worry about EIC stir and I am not going to make a dime on the deal. If I sell the pups at all it will be to cover the price of the shots and vet bills.

My girl has given so much to me and my family I only feel it is the right thing to do to allow other hunting family's to be able to share some of that as well.

anyway when the time comes I will find her a good male, and make alot of people happy.

No geese, I'm in for studding my dog out. Even if you don't force fetch...LOL

Last edited by TG37; 01/14/11 09:36 PM.

Mud Shark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide