Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
"re-pete" question time... #1988798 01/07/11 12:06 AM
22 250Rem-a-holic Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
sorry y'all, I know this is probably a beat to death question but I have to ask it...
I'm new to this site and the Dallas area - up from San Antonio and I'm looking for a SAFE range that i can shoot my AR and varmint rifles at... I'm having a hard time finding a shooting range that does not want to take all my ammo funds to shoot there and/or has crazy rules against FMJ rifle ammo...HELP !!!

Thanks in advance.

Via Con Dios
<><
Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: 22 250Rem-a-holic] #1992086 01/07/11 11:47 PM
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
wow 27 views and not so much as a peep...guess such a place doesn't exist this far north... thanks anyway...

Via Con Dios
<><
Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: 22 250Rem-a-holic] #1995366 01/08/11 10:30 PM
Steve
Steve
May be a little bit of a drive for you if your in Dallas. But you might look into Tac-Pro in Mingus. Laid back yet safe because most who shoot there are very knowledgeable and concsious of safety. Generally I'm the only one there when I go shoot and rarely more than 3 or 4 people at all. They have a 100-200yd range and for a little more you can stretch it out if so inclined out to 1K on the big boy range. They also offer classes out there, that is where I took my PR classes...very informative. Taught by a former SAS sniper.

Chupa

Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: ] #1996440 01/09/11 02:55 AM
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Hey Chupa, Thanks for the info - mapquest puts that at 130 miles 1-way from the homestead so I think that will be a little gas prohibitive for weekly trips, but I'm real interested in the controlled 1K opportunity - that's something worth the drive... thanks again for the reply !!!

Via Con Dios
<><
Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: 22 250Rem-a-holic] #1999514 01/09/11 06:08 PM
Steve
Steve
Originally Posted By: 22 250Rem
Hey Chupa, Thanks for the info - mapquest puts that at 130 miles 1-way from the homestead so I think that will be a little gas prohibitive for weekly trips, but I'm real interested in the controlled 1K opportunity - that's something worth the drive... thanks again for the reply !!!

I highly suggest the PR class to almost all shooters/hunters. If you have the right rig(doesn't need to be specialized) for the task of 1K shooting, it is very helpful when out in the field hunting. Once you learn how to subtend your reticle, if you can see it, you can hit it. If you pay attention and have a modicum of skill you will be breaking 4" clay pigeons propped up on the backstop at the end of the class from 1K. People call BS on that on hunting forums, but I've done it many times and seen it done a billion times, it is more than plausible, it's an absolute point of fact.

If your ever interested, holler at me and I'll meet you there and give you the $1 tour.

Forgot to add: To be able to set foot on the 1K range, you have to qualify, or be with someone who is already qualified. But I can get you there, no sweat........Unless you've drank about a gallon of coffee that morning roflmao

Chupa

Last edited by Chupathingy; 01/09/11 06:19 PM.
Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: ] #2059257 01/26/11 05:03 AM
C
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I don't know of any ranges in DFW that allow FMJ

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: CitySlickerHunter] #2136413 02/22/11 07:59 PM
B
Big A Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I know of two.....target master in garland indoor but only 50yrds bang An one in mesquite off of lawson rd Gibson's outpost...

Traget master shoots anything with out steel in it....They do test the ammo.....I shoot here when I am out of hp's for my ar.

Gibson's I think any thing goes but no tracers..... have not been here in sometime but planning on it this weekend. clap

Originally Posted By: NTX_Hunter
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun"
Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: Big A] #2139999 02/24/11 02:08 AM
S
Sooner N TX Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
X2 on Target Master.

Garland public is good, but they won't allow fmj. confused2

Used to be a place in Princton, but it got shut down for "noise ordinace" problems. bs

realmadI don't shoot rifle at Elm Fork anymore:

You can only use the targets they sell.
No FMJ
No open sights.
No double taps, over 3 seconds between shots.
No AK, SKS, or other military rifles (other than scoped AR's)
Range master is a power-tripping "donkey" with no people skills.

soapWhat has happened to a gun range where everything was cool as long as you were safe, didn't tear up thier stuff, and could actualy practice? I don't know about you, but I have't shot a deer off sandbags before. Where can I practice off-hand or sitting positions? Where can I shoot my M1 Garand prone for a postal match? Where can I tear off a fast strings with my home defence carbine?

Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: Sooner N TX] #2162506 03/05/11 07:46 PM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Sooner N TX
X2 on Target Master.

Used to be a place in Princton, but it got shut down for "noise ordinace" problems. bs

No FMJ
No open sights.

soapWhat has happened to a gun range where everything was cool as long as you were safe, didn't tear up thier stuff, and could actualy practice? I don't know about you, but I have't shot a deer off sandbags before. Where can I practice off-hand or sitting positions? Where can I shoot my M1 Garand prone for a postal match? Where can I tear off a fast strings with my home defence carbine?

Yeah the only thing that keeps me shooting at Elm Fork is that I am friends with several of the people that work there. Because of this I get to shoot at the range for free.

Re: "re-pete" question time... [Re: Sooner N TX] #2162557 03/05/11 08:10 PM
L
longone Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Sooner N TX
X2 on Target Master.

No FMJ
No open sights.

Their crazy rules stem from stray rounds landing on that golf course just north of Eml Fork, A college buddy of mine knows of more than a couple of guys that have been playing out there and had rounds come in through the trees...
Brings a new meaning to yelling "fourrrrr"
I only shot shotguns @ e.f. which is great..

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"
is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Type VII/Class II SOT..
www.tacticalhogcontrol.com
www.cottonwoodarmory.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide