Print Thread
What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? #198699 08/05/07 01:51 PM
K
Kiowa Scout Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Hey guys and gals, I may have the opportunity to sell some bow only package hunts for this fall. I want to know from those that bow hunt what they would want included in their hunt.
The hunt would be an eight point only hunt. Their will be a lodge and meals included as well as the opportunity to shoot one white-tail doe, one hog and one turkey.

So here goes with my questions:
1.) What would you be willing to spend on this hunt?

2.) How many days would be adequate and fair to both the hunter and outfitter?

3.) Would you enjoy the chance to take an exotic animal while hunting, (at an additional trophy fee)?

4.) Would you prefer to have a guide with you or just have one drop you off and then be available later to get you and take care of the processing of your animals harvested?

Please feel free to give me any constructive suggestions. Please no smart a$$ remarks. I am trying to get this hunt started for the group of hunters that sometimes feels left out.
I have never been in a position to offer this type of hunt so all help that can be given will be greatly appreciated.
Normally all my hunts that I guide are gun hunts. I really like this opportunity and hope that with your suggestions and support I can get this going for ya’ll by the end of next week.(August 17, 2007)

Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: Kiowa Scout] #198700 08/05/07 04:32 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have just one question. Do you charge a daily fee??? Irregardless of whether they get a deer or not??? I have just started this bowhunting out at the ranch, and I am just curious. I have wondered off your question, but you seem to run more bowhunters. I am also curoious to see the responses as it may help me, good post

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: 7mag] #198701 08/05/07 10:14 PM
L
Luck_of_the_Draw Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I like flat rates. No breaking out the tape measure at the check out.

Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: Luck_of_the_Draw] #198702 08/05/07 11:21 PM
K
Kiowa Scout Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
These hunts are going to be a flat rate all inclusive hunt. I will charge one price for animal, lodging and meals.

Would you rather have a guide sitting with you or be left by yourself to hunt? All of my gun hunts are 1X1. The guide is with you from time you get up until time for bed. I am not really sure what most prefer on bow hunts.

What would you guys be willing to spend for a fully guided hunt versus a semi-guided hunt?

Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: Kiowa Scout] #198703 08/05/07 11:40 PM
L
Luck_of_the_Draw Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Left by myself.

Trail cam pics would be a nice way to tell me what to expect.

Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: Luck_of_the_Draw] #198704 08/06/07 01:30 AM
K
ktiner Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
I have actually been on both sides of this fence. I was a deer biologist in south texas for a time before leaving for a gov. job. We ran hunts for mature 8 pts and there were always at least 5 screw ups a year due to disrespect, poor optics, and low light conditions. We started only hunting out of ground blinds big enough for a hunter and a guide to take the mistake out of the hunters hands. Which worked great for both parties; because we had some guys that said they would not feel comfortable making the mature or not call when most have seen very few if any mature bucks 5 1/2 +. And as for giving people more opprtunity to score a kill. Dang good idea, wish our owners would have let us do that. We had some big o hogs and a lot of bob cats on that place.

KT

Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: Luck_of_the_Draw] #198705 08/06/07 02:02 AM
K
Kiowa Scout Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Quote:

Left by myself.

Trail cam pics would be a nice way to tell me what to expect.

Luck, when I get out there to get the pics from the cams I will post some of them.

Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: ktiner] #198706 08/06/07 02:04 AM
K
Kiowa Scout Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
ktiner,
Thanks for you thoughts. I really appreciate all the input that I am getting.

Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: Kiowa Scout] #198707 08/10/07 12:32 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Video and pics of deer in different areas of the ranch would help a hunter to pick a pasture to hunt if left unguided. A stiff fee would help to minimize mistakes, possibly done as an upfront deposit that is refunded upon the end of a mistake free hunt. I'm looking for a reasonable and realistic chance for a lower end P&Y 8 point in a situation like this. I personally would prefer unguided as I have hunted many years and can get it done. I believe more people means more movement, more scent and lower success. 3 days minimum with 4 better and 5 for a small extra fee if you don't score on the other days. If you throw in the hog that is fine, I think that the doe kill helps the ranch management program and would insist that that be done regardless, especially if a buck is taken. Here's the thing though, I will pay for a lease first as I like the year round access and love to go down year round work and camp. I'm between leases right now and would consider options. I would consider a hunt for a 130 to 140 class 8 point but would only be willing to pay what is market value depending on the lodging, chance of success and what not. I don't need the fancy lodge or meals as I am there to hunt not eat and sleep. I just need a bed, a shower and a grill or stove and I am GTG. I can even live with just a hook up for my pop-up and a little shower shed. I understand that this is probably a pipe dream but you asked.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: passthru] #198708 08/17/07 02:54 PM
E
elliscountyhog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
well there are 3 of us that are looking to do a bow hunt this year much like the one you are stating so when you get the prices together let me know we are on the poor side though. I would think that $350/weekend for the semi guided would be in range with other ranches but the cheaper you can do them the more clientail you get started with and if the ranch is good enough when you really get going most of them would pay whatever because they already know what is there and what can be taken. It is just hard in my book to pay over $1500 For a 3 day hunt on a ranch that you have never been too.

Re: What do you want in your bow hunting package hunt? [Re: elliscountyhog] #198709 08/17/07 08:58 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Really. $350? I have a buddy who is a duck hunting guide who has said it would be in the range I quoted. I want a lease though for the long term interests. I would do a hunt for 350 though if I don't find a lease before archery season.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide