Page 1 of 2 1 2
MY PROBLEM? #196082 07/25/07 04:33 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
Here we go again. It is getting close to the time to get down to the ranch and start getting ready for deer season. Need to re-erect blinds that were downed by tornado in Atascosa County, clean up around camp, trim shooting lanes, shred the senderos, feed all of the feeders (change out batteries, motors, timers, etc.), shred the ranch roads, clean up the trailer, etc. etc. etc.... All of this is everything that every hunter does every year to prepare for the season. However, how many of you who hunt with others, have to do it all by yourself?? My problem is as follows: I DO ALL OF THE WORK AND I AM GETTING SO EFFING TIRED OF IT!! Have one buddy that goes down with me once in a while to help. Have a brother-in-law that NEVER shows up to do anything. This is a family ranch owned by my father. He has owned it since 1985 and, back when he was in good health, we did all of this work together. Now that he is not in good health and no longer goes down to the ranch, it is all left up to me. We only let family and friends hunt and I have been the so-called "ranch manager" ever since he bought the ranch. I make the rules on what can and cannot be shot, who hunts and when. So, this year I will go down there and do all of the work again and listen to all of the excuses why no one ever showed up to help, yet they will all be there on opening weekend to hunt. There best excuse is: "Well, you never called me and told me that you were going down there to do any work." My response, "Well, I did not call you and ask you to come hunting opening weekend either!!" Bro-in-law has been hunting down there for 15 or so years and he knows what needs to be done but he never does it. I keep telling them, I do not need any blinds. I do not need any feeders. I do not need any shredded sendero's or ranch roads. I do not even need a place to stay overnight (can drive back and forth 45 miles). I do it so that we can all enjoy the place and have a good hunting season but I am getting older and working 6 days a week and have little time to spend down there prior to deer season. Sorry, just blowing off a little steam!!

IMPEACH!! IMPEACH!! REVOLT!! REVOLT!! REVOLTING!! REVOLTING!!
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196083 07/25/07 04:47 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well your the ranch manager right ????? Lay down the rules, Have a work weekend, if they don't show, don't let them hunt. Now you could plan your work on opening weekend, then hunt the next weekend ??????????????????????

Guess I don't see the PROBLEM

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196084 07/25/07 04:54 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Team HillBilly came up with a good solution, I have a twisted one.

Pick out which blind you intend to hunt out of, and just mow that sendero and fill that feeder and work on that blind. Then when everyone else shows up and starts griping, just tell them that they should know that the work has to be done every year and you just didn't have time to do all of it this year.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: Team Hillbilly] #196085 07/25/07 04:58 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
Wish it was that easy. Remember, this is a family owned ranch--I do not own it. I am only the eldest offspring and the only one of the offspring that hunts. I can keep my buddies from hunting but when it comes to bro-in-law and his son, to keep peace in the family, I can not say "No hunting for you!!" Like I said, it is my problem. There is no easy solution. Having a work weekend on opening weekend is not an option because------I WILL BE HUNTING. I do not have the time to give up a weekend of my hunting time to ensure that all of this is done. It has always been done prior to the opener and it will be done prior to the opener this year, with or without any help. Like I said, blowing off some steam.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: Crazyhorse] #196086 07/25/07 05:03 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
Crazyhorse, I like your solution but, I do not hunt at the feeders or the blinds. They are for the rest of the sissies that go down there. I hunt in the woods, on a trail, sitting on a bucket..... This is why I get my buck year after year and they all complain that there are no big bucks. There are, I have seen them, and I have killed them. They don't because they are a bunch of no-hunting female dogs!! GET MY DRIFT?

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196087 07/25/07 05:09 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yes Sir, I Understand Fully.

When it is a situation where family is involved it turns into "No Win" real fast.

Maybe this year you could just talk to each of them one on one and tell them that this is the last year you are going to do all the work, and that next year they will either have to help out or just hunt under whatever conditions the find when the get there.

There are no easy answers for your problem, sorry that you are in that situation and hope you figure out someway to make it better. Good Luck.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: Crazyhorse] #196088 07/25/07 05:14 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
Hey, thanks for the sympathy. I feel better already. Like I said, the work will get done, I WILL DO IT, just want a little help. I think the real problem is that bro-in-law really does not care about hunting. His son is the one that has it in his blood (my nephew and I love him), so that is why he shows up.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196089 07/25/07 05:19 PM
R
Ranger354 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
I hunted with my brother and B-I-L for a few years. I also got tired of doing all the work. There are 4 of us on the lease now and only 2 of us keep feeders running year round and have "Hog Proof" feed pens.

It gets old and I HAVE and answer for you. Charge them! Tell them that it will be $500 to hunt. If they won't pitch in with physical labor then they need to pitch in and pay up.

I like the idea of only mowing where YOU want to hunt, but if you let things grow up one year that just makes it harder the next year to clean up.

Good luck. And if you ever need responsible management minded hunters I know of 2.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's".
Mark Twain
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196090 07/25/07 05:30 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Since you don't hunt the feeders or stands, there really isn't a compelling reason for you to work on stands, feeders, senderos, etc. There's probably no way around having to do the camp prep by yourself but you could tell the BIL and son that due to your other time commitments, each hunter will have to prepare his own spot (including stand and feeder). Nothing personal; you just don't have time. Clear the shooting lanes for your bucket blind and let them fend for themselves. You can bet they won't come looking to hunt your bucket.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: Ranger354] #196091 07/25/07 05:30 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
How old is your nephew? When boys get about 13 years old, they can work pretty hard if you show them what needs done. The shredding part (unless there are no obstructions) could be dangerous, unless your nephew knows a tractor and shredder pretty good.

If he's old enough to really work, take him - it's never too early to teach responsibility. Work is also addictive among normal folks. Maybe you can recruit your nephew and one of his friends - make it fun....they'll make it competitive, which is a good thing.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: Big Orn] #196092 07/25/07 05:34 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

How old is your nephew? When boys get about 13 years old, they can work pretty hard if you show them what needs done. The shredding part (unless there are no obstructions) could be dangerous, unless your nephew knows a tractor and shredder pretty good.

If he's old enough to really work, take him - it's never too early to teach responsibility. Work is also addictive among normal folks. Maybe you can recruit your nephew and one of his friends - make it fun....they'll make it competitive, which is a good thing.

Sooooo that's how you got your house built so quick?!?!

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: Big Orn] #196093 07/25/07 05:35 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
Very good ideas. He is 14 and he wants to go with me but, he lives too far away for me to go pick him up and take him with me and then take him home. He always says that when he gets old enough to drive that he will be down there all the time.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: txcornhusker] #196094 07/25/07 05:38 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Quote:

Uh...don't report me to th US Dept of Labor....will ya?

When I get home in the evening, Grae is either hooked up on a weedeater, brush ax, chainsaw, or something. I taught him how to work and have fun at it.

He was just a li'l pup when I built the house, but if now, yeah - I'd work his li'l arse off!!!!

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196095 07/25/07 05:46 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Very good ideas. He is 14 and he wants to go with me but, he lives too far away for me to go pick him up and take him with me and then take him home. He always says that when he gets old enough to drive that he will be down there all the time.

If possible, schedule him to stay the week with you, then take a long weekend and y'all have a blast. Be sure to take plenty of Gatorade....

Grae invites one of his friends down when we have a work day at camp. His friend hunts for free in the deal. It's a funny site: They start out driving my old 4wd truck around in the bottoms, "Looking things over", Grae says. Yeah - right!!! But pretty soon, you'll hear Country Music blaring through the truck speakers and chainsaws, weedeaters, axes, you name it. Them boys can do some damage to underbrush and downed trees in no time. Of course, in the late-afternoon, they come dragging in waiting for me to bbq some dbl meat burgers and such. We'll have a shooting contest while the meats on to cook. Grae shines in that department - makes his friend try that much harder. I enjoy those times about as much as I do hunting.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: Big Orn] #196096 07/25/07 05:49 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When I get home in the evening, Grae is either hooked up on a weedeater, brush ax, chainsaw, or something. I taught him how to work and have fun at it.

He was just a li'l pup when I built the house, but if now, yeah - I'd work his li'l arse off!!!!

LOL

I bet he is a hard worker. I can see it in him. The way he carries himself.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: txcornhusker] #196097 07/25/07 05:55 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL

The way he carries himself.

Yeah... Hrumph!! Boy don't he think he's the big frog in the pond!!!

....the girls he's got calling the house don't help. He was invited to an all-girl swimming party weekend before last. His head was so swelled, I bet he couldn't have worn Hoss Cartwright's hat for a week.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: Big Orn] #196098 07/25/07 06:04 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL

The way he carries himself.

Yeah... Hrumph!! Boy don't he think he's the big frog in the pond!!!

....the girls he's got calling the house don't help. He was invited to an all-girl swimming party weekend before last. His head was so swelled, I bet he couldn't have worn Hoss Cartwright's hat for a week.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196099 07/25/07 06:10 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
EASY SOLUTION... GET SOME OF THOSE FRIENDS THAT LIKE TO HUNT TO GO DOWN AND HELP YOU. REAL FRIENDS WILL HELP YOU OUT JUST BECAUSE YOU NEED HELP, GOOD FRIENDS WILL HELP AND HOPE YOU WILL INVITE THEM TO HUNT,AND USER "FRIENDS" WILL HUNT AND NEVER EVEN THINK ABOUT HELPING OUT.
I WOULDN'T BE AT ALL AFRAID TO TELL MY FRIENDS "IF YOU WANNA HUNT YOU NEED TO HELP" A DAYS HELP FOR A DAYS HUNT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.... NEED SOME HELP, FRIEND???

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196100 07/25/07 06:15 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
OH, AND... I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ONLY LIVE 45 MI AWAY AND YOU'RE NOT THERE EVERY WEEKEND DOING SOMETHING!
(JUST JOKING)
I GUESS IT'S LIKE THE GUY THAT LIVES AT THE LAKE AND NEVER GOES FISHING...

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196101 07/25/07 06:25 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman
coolerman, gotta solution to your problem. You need new family. Meet long lost brother Randy.
Now then, let's go to work and Git Er Dun!!!
Actually, I ram rod a ranch and have been givin the honor of over seeing the hunters. We tried for years to do it the democratic way and vote in ideals and vote in new hunters and hunters rules and regs. Did not work, would for a short time then everything seemed to just get washed down the tubes, memory lapses all over camp. I finally got my belly full and laid down the law, my way or the highway. We all wanted the same thing, more game, better Bucks, but when it boiled down to it no one wanted to do what it takes nor did they want to stick to the rules we set. It is really funny, after I got all mad and red in the face and chewed some arses up and down royaly and embarresed a few in front of the others things started to change, for the good. I said all that to say, sometimes you just have to put your foot down. Give them one chance to agree on a work weekend and if they can't agree, you pick the date and they can either show up or lose opening weekend or lose a doe or Buck tag. It is amazing how quick they will become interested in getting the job done. Good luck.

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #196102 07/25/07 06:30 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
I would love to go every weekend but, this year, it has rained constant down here for the last 2 months. Our place is very hard to get around on when it is flooded!! I am busy running 2 companies, working at least 6 days per week, and our busy time is summer and right before deer season opens in the fall. The situation with inviting friends down is again, my brother-in-law. He beleives that since I brought a friend down one weekend, then he is allowed to bring a friend. Only difference is, when he brings a friend, it is usually friend and 2 or 3 extras (sons, etc). I would love to just kick his arse (would be no problem at all) but again, Peace in the family is foremost. So I put up with the B.S. Sometimes I wish that the old man would just sell the place so I would not have that place to hunt. I can now afford to hunt anywhere I want to, could not before. So, putting up with the B.S. is getting harder for me to deal with as I know that I can go elsewhere to hunt. Thought about just leasing our place out to hunters and finding a lease for myself. If it was my decision, would have done that a couple years ago.

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196103 07/25/07 06:34 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
Randy, brother!!! You even kinda look like me!! Have put foot down, have embarrassed, have almost kicked arse. You can not embarass someone who has nothing, does not care for anyone but himself, and drinks life an effin fish. Complete arsehole!!

Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: atascosa_red] #196104 07/25/07 06:35 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman
Might get everyone to pitch in some maintenance funds and hire someone to go fill feeders and do repairs. There was a couple of people on here that started doing that.

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: HighTechRedneck] #196105 07/25/07 06:40 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
HighTechRedneck has the right idea, but he needs his dad's okay since this is family land. Since he has been the rammrod of the place all of these years there should not be a problem. But you can bet the bank that down the road the lazy ones will still be lazy, and try to weasel out of the work. Been there and done that. The first time they loose the right to hunt, they will go crying to Dad, so you need all of your okays from him done right. You will still land up being the bad guy regardless of the outcome.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: MY PROBLEM? [Re: dogcatcher] #196106 07/25/07 06:44 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
OH, I AM THE BAD GUY. I AM THE BIGGEST ARSEHOLE IN THE FAMILY. Just ask anyone that hunts down there. I was hoping that they would get tired of my bad attitude. But, it is just like a soup kitchen. Even though the food is bad, they still line up to eat!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide