Page 1 of 2 1 2
Land owner ends my season #1936795 12/20/10 04:06 AM
J
Jim A. Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Went to the lease this weekend. Got up saturday morning and made my way to my favorite stand. It is located between a really heavy bedding area and a fresh water creek. As the sun came up, I saw a season ending ending sight for that area. The land owner cleared all the trees that was the bedding area. He didn't leave a single little mesquite tree standing. The area is about 100ac and was a really good area. I called him and his ranch hand but they have yet to return my calls. I also had 2 game cams in that area that are now missing. Been on this place for 7 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. I have other areas to hunt on the property but this was the one area that was producing. Any advise on handling this matter?

Jim A.
Look before you shoot
You Kill it You Clean it.
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Jim A.] #1936804 12/20/10 04:11 AM
S
SSJR Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Ask them when they were moved. I hunt in Jack county and they cleard about 60 acres of mesquite off our place. The government was giving grants to turn mesquite areas back into pasture land. Our landowner let us know and in the long run it will be good as it willdraw more deer than the mesquiite flat did. Id be upset at the game camera loss. Season not over maybe the deer will use the flat to feed now.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Jim A.] #1936808 12/20/10 04:12 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That really stinks and I empathize with you, but it is his land and he can do what he wishes with it, unless it is written in the lease agreement that he can't. As for the game cams, I would call and see if somebody picked those up for you before they started taking down the trees. If he says no, start looking in the brush piles for the tree that used to have your cameras on them.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: NDN98] #1936846 12/20/10 04:26 AM
J
Jim A. Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
I looked for the cams in the piles but didn't see them. I am trying to stay positive about it. It is his land to do as he wishes. Waiting a couple of weeks or atleast a heads up would have been nice.

Jim A.
Look before you shoot
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Jim A.] #1936986 12/20/10 05:24 AM
A
Archer Anthony Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
wow i could see why you would be pissed

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Archer Anthony] #1937128 12/20/10 11:55 AM
C
Chuck P Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
After 7 yrs you think he would have been kinder to you. I don't know what your relation is like. But on paper this seems like and extremely dirty move. Sorry to hear about your cameras, they aren't cheap. Hope you find them.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Chuck P] #1937274 12/20/10 02:01 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Eh, it's not a dirty move, but he owes you compensation for you cameras. At minimum you should have been warned because it is ridiculous for him to just assume that you didn't have anything in that entire area.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Chuck P] #1937300 12/20/10 02:12 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I have a similar situation. Opening week of gun season, only time we deer hunt, the land owner is plowing the fields in front of, both sides of and behind one of our 3 blinds. 52 weeks in he year and he chooses to plow these fields opening week of deer season. Can't hunt there so I move up to the only blind we have killed a deer out of in the 6 years we have been on the lease. 9:00AM a bull dozer starts knocking down misquite trees 300 yards behind that blind. Blind #2 gone, no point in hunting there. Next day I go to our last blind. 8:00AM some idiot on the property West of us starts shooting his pistol, clip after clip. confused2 I go back the second week of Nov. I hunt the third blind Thursday morning and see nothing. All morning I keep hearing a diesel engine in the distance. Thursday evening I head up to our only productive blind and as I am driving up I see a drilling rig 100 yda behind the blind and trucks driving in and out and people talking loud over the drilling rig diesel engine. How can you win? mad I have hunted this property more days this year than any of the 6 years we have been on the lease and have only seen 5 deer, 4 in one day but all skiddish and no shooters. Since mid Nov. we have not seen an animal of any species.
The land owner didn't tell us squat. So I will start looking for a new lease come mid January. In my book if he, Mr. Land Owner takes money from someone for a deer lease then do everything you can to keep the hunter from being successful, that makes him a thief and this thief will have to get money from some other sucker next year. No one has any morals any more.

Sorry for the rant on your thread Jim. I hope you can salvage something out of your season.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: twinbubba] #1937353 12/20/10 02:29 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Speaking from a landowner point of view you guys must be leasing from a real DBag. Those things should never happen during season and if they do only after working out details and the reasons behind it with the leasee's.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: twinbubba] #1937358 12/20/10 02:34 PM
J
Jim A. Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
No worries twinbubba. Thats kind of why I posted. Feels good to blow off some steam and share with fellow hunters. I will be looking for a new place as well next year, depending on how this goes. It has been something every year on this place. A high pressure gas line was installed last year during season. The year before that the old ranch hand day leased during the week. That is why he is the "Old" ranch hand. The year before that the power lines that run through the middle of the place were replaced. I could go on. Just frustrating.

Jim A.
Look before you shoot
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: twinbubba] #1937367 12/20/10 02:36 PM
J
Jake317 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: twinbubba
I have a similar situation. Opening week of gun season, only time we deer hunt, the land owner is plowing the fields in front of, both sides of and behind one of our 3 blinds. 52 weeks in he year and he chooses to plow these fields opening week of deer season. Can't hunt there so I move up to the only blind we have killed a deer out of in the 6 years we have been on the lease. 9:00AM a bull dozer starts knocking down misquite trees 300 yards behind that blind. Blind #2 gone, no point in hunting there. Next day I go to our last blind. 8:00AM some idiot on the property West of us starts shooting his pistol, clip after clip. confused2 I go back the second week of Nov. I hunt the third blind Thursday morning and see nothing. All morning I keep hearing a diesel engine in the distance. Thursday evening I head up to our only productive blind and as I am driving up I see a drilling rig 100 yda behind the blind and trucks driving in and out and people talking loud over the drilling rig diesel engine. How can you win? mad I have hunted this property more days this year than any of the 6 years we have been on the lease and have only seen 5 deer, 4 in one day but all skiddish and no shooters. Since mid Nov. we have not seen an animal of any species.
The land owner didn't tell us squat. So I will start looking for a new lease come mid January. In my book if he, Mr. Land Owner takes money from someone for a deer lease then do everything you can to keep the hunter from being successful, that makes him a thief and this thief will have to get money from some other sucker next year. No one has any morals any more.

Sorry for the rant on your thread Jim. I hope you can salvage something out of your season.
Dude I wouldnt want to be your friend if thats the luck your having, that crap might rub off......

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Jake317] #1937712 12/20/10 04:24 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Well I would definitely address the game camera situation asap and without any further hesitation! He owes you reimbursement for the 2 cams and I sypathize with your situation! On my lease of 133acres and 6 hunters the other 2 leases cut their timber during season this year and hunters started moving their stands and feeders within 20-30yds of the property line thus cutting deer off from us!!! It's aggrivating and a shame that we have to put up with this crap, but ain't much you can do!!! I'm currently looking for a new lease and have found a few that caught my interest an plan on checking them out! Holler at me if you guys need a lease, I may be able to help ya!!!
Frank

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Jim A.] #1937769 12/20/10 04:46 PM
J
justhuntin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I was told by a landowner once that we are just paid Tresspassers! What the .... Same as if we leased it for cattle.

"I don't love to hunt I live to HUNT!!!"
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: justhuntin] #1938639 12/20/10 09:50 PM
S
Sooner N TX Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I hunt on the same property as Jim A. He is the lease manager, so you think the land owner would at least let him know what he was going to do.

deerslayer78, we might need the help finding a place. I've been looking around and haven't really found anything myself. We are looking to stay within 3 hours or so of DFW.

Hey Jim, just to lighten the mood, why don't you post the pictures of the "deer" that you and Paul "shot" this weekend.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Sooner N TX] #1938781 12/20/10 10:27 PM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
sorry he dont owe you nothing, if you dont like it get off the lease, he has someone waiting that will be willing to pay more, thats the way of the world now, its not going to get any better

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: brokenpole] #1939024 12/20/10 11:58 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
We are just paying a trespass fee. At the same time common decency would say that there would be communication before hand. In the end though it is not our land and if it were we wouldn't have to sweat these sorts of things. Looking for a lease too btw.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: passthru] #1939070 12/21/10 12:17 AM
S
SSJR Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
As a side note we have been on our lease 10 years. There is an oil lease that goes with the lease too. We have it in writing that if they drill when the season is open we get credit for the time they are there taken off our money. All this came about when they were looking at windmills and were going to start during he season putting them up. it never happened but we have it on the papers since then. I hope yall get it worked out. It sounds like a bad situation and the landowner should have at least let you know what was going to happen IMO.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: brokenpole] #1939091 12/21/10 12:26 AM
L
Letsgo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: brokenpole
sorry he dont owe you nothing, if you dont like it get off the lease, he has someone waiting that will be willing to pay more, thats the way of the world now, its not going to get any better

I disagree - he owes for the price of the cameras. Based on your thinking the landowner can come through with a bulldozer and destroy your travel trailers, feeders, blinds, etc????

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Letsgo] #1939518 12/21/10 02:34 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Letsgo
Originally Posted By: brokenpole

I disagree - he owes for the price of the cameras. Based on your thinking the landowner can come through with a bulldozer and destroy your travel trailers, feeders, blinds, etc????

I strongly agree!!!

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: deerslayer78] #1939790 12/21/10 03:48 AM
M
mandrake Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Why is it called a lease if you don't have the rights during the term of said lease. Its like saying you rented the apt. but if my brother comes to visit you better find another place cuz he likes the view from the living room and your comfy bed.

I guess a deals a deal, and and the handshake with it no longer means squat.

Been looking at getting a lease for next season, guess I better pay an attorney to check the contract.

Californian by Birth, Texan by Choice, Country by Grace of God!

NRA Life Member
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: mandrake] #1939938 12/21/10 04:20 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I would question him about the game cameras and ask for restitution, and if he just blows you off I would just look for another lease.

It's bad enough that he said nothing, but still, it is his land.

I hunt on some property that is leased for grazing and the rancher who owns the cattle shreds the entire place about every two years and knocks down all the growth that gives the deer a place to hide and only leaves very little areas of trees and brush. He's been doing it for years and always about a week before the season, and when he does we see fewer deer during the season.

It cost nothing to hunt the place so we just grin and bare it!

Something else to keep in mind is a lot of times ranchers plan months in advance for work to be done and they give the go ahead to the guy that is going to do the work and he might have planned for around the first of the year, and they guy happened to do it sooner rather than later. Talking to the landowner will probably clear things up!

Last edited by Jimbo; 12/21/10 04:32 AM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Jimbo] #1940106 12/21/10 05:55 AM
M
MogulRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
just talk to the landowner in a nice and respectful manner. treat him the same way you would like to be treated. once you have established a basic civil conversation, tell him that you lost your cams attached to the cleared area. he should have told you about his plans but didnt. however, he might have had no clue you had the cams and they werent seen when clearing. OR... his contractor saw the cams and snatched them and the owner will want to be informed about people stealing from "his" property.

[Linked Image]
Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: MogulRanch] #1941369 12/21/10 07:40 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
It ain't all fun and games guys. Hunters had been raising cain about the condition of the roads. They were right. Needed to do some road work but did you ever see the kind of mess that a dozer or maintainer can do if it hasn't rained in a coon's age? Contacted my dozer man, discussed the job and he put me on the list for when the soil was right. Finally got a rain but no dozer. Called him back and got a date that passed. Phone tag went on for a month until I finally got a call the day before deer season opened. He was READY. Told him I would see him next year. I wasn't having a dozer running opening week and it was dumb to put an operator in the field with hunters. He didn't like it but tough. Guess what? The next week I got an earful from a hunter because I had not fixed the roads. He got his roads worked but it was after deer season. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: Jim A.] #1947271 12/23/10 08:30 AM
L
LifetimeLadyHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
What a shock that must have been! Sorry to hear that you lost your trail cams. I can see the landowner being clueless about the cameras or ever giving a thought to calling you. I hope they reimburse you for them.

I was once in the deer stand on opening morning whenever I heard men hollering, dogs barking, and cattle bellowing. The landowner was having her cattle gathered on the opening day of deer season when she had the entire week or fall to do this! When one of the cowboys rode by me the first time he didn't see me, but whenever he came back by and saw me sitting there with my gun, ne nearly fell off his horse. He said that if he had known hunters were in the woods that he wouldn't have agreed to do the job that day. Needless to say, it messed up everyone's hunt, the men on the lease were totally chapped, asked for their money back, didn't get it, and were run off the lease. Now that was a really bad deal. I guess they could have sued, but they didn't. It was a rotten deal for sure.

Re: Land owner ends my season [Re: LifetimeLadyHunter] #1948879 12/23/10 10:43 PM
B
bankwalker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Unfortunately it all comes down to the quality of the landowner as an individual. It is technically their land and so the recourse of the hunter on landowner actions can never be more than minimal unless the hunter just goes on a shooting spree.

The demand for hunting is so great that landowners don't have to be considerate anymore. Some are, but it seems that some just want the money and then still do whatever they want. Too bad really. The hunter/landowner relationship should not be that difficult to maintain in a positive way. This just speaks to the decrease in integrity in society as a whole. A man's word is not the unbreakable bond that is once was.

Bankwalker

Often Wrong...Never Uncertain!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide