Page 1 of 2 1 2
POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS #192968 07/14/07 02:06 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
ONE OF THE BEST TIPS I'VE FOUND ON HERE SO FAR IS HOW TO BONE OUT A DEER OR HOG WITHOUT GUTTING IT (STILL HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET, BUT SOUNDS GOOD!)
HERE ARE SOME TIPS I CAN THINK OF TO PASS ALONG:

WHEN SITTING IN A BOX BLIND YOU CAN NEVER SEE OUT THE CORNERS OF THE BLIND...WE FIXED THAT BY PUTTING PLEXI GLASS IN THE CORNERS (NOT WINDOWS THAT OPEN)WINDOWS ARE STILL IN THE SAME PLACE BUT NOW YOU CAN SEE THROUGH THE CORNERS WITHOUT LEANING FORWARD OR BACK.

EURO MOUNTS... SOME PEOPLE BLEACH THEM, SOME PAINT THEM WHITE, I'VE STARTED PAINTING MINE TEXAS FLAG! FROM EYE SOCKETS UP THEY ARE DARK BLUE, SNOUT IS LEFT HALF RED, RIGHT HALF WHITE, AND THE STAR IS CUT FROM THE LID OF A JAR OF PICKLED OKRA, PAINTED WHITE AND GLUED ON. THEY LOOK GREAT AND EVERONE ON OUR LEASE WANT'S ME TO DO ONE FOR THEM.

HERE'S A SUCKERS BET THAT EASY TO WIN, GOOD KNOWLEDGE TO HAVE AND AMAZING!
AROUND THE CAMPFIRE BET YOUR BUDDIES THAT YOU CAN BOIL WATER IN A PAPER CUP. ( HAS TO BE A >PAPER< CUP LIKE FROM MC DONALDS)FILL THE CUP ALMOST TO THE TOP WITH WATER AND SET IT DIRECTLY ON HOT COALS... THE PART NOT BEING TOUCHED BY WATER WILL BURN OFF BUT IN A WHILE THE REMAINING WATER WILL BOIL. TRY IT YOURSELF BEFORE YOU PUT TOO MUCH MONEY ON IT!

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #192969 07/14/07 02:41 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Why do you always have to shout......

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #192970 07/14/07 05:08 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
He is just old. Old people always write in upper case, young people always write in lower case, and middle age people are the only ones that write correctly.

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #192971 07/14/07 05:44 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Here is a tip that I learned a few years back when I hunted in Kimble Co.

Now before all the remarks and questions begin, let me go on record as saying that I have NEVER TRIED THIS AND NEVER WILL.

When I got on a lease in Kimble Co. a few years back I was hunting with a bunch of guys I had never met before so I did not know what to expect. One day I walked into the cabin and noticed a box of tampons sticking out of one of the guys backpacks. Keep in mind this guy that owns this backpack is not married and did not have a girl friend at the time, so you can only imagine what was going through my mind (not to mention that I kind of thought this guy might be a little off from the time I first met him).

Anyway to make a long story short I did not want to be nosey and ask any questions so I just kept my distance. One day he came into camp looking for some help to find a deer so since I was the only one in camp I did not have much choice but to help him. When we got to his stand I noticed some tampons hanging from a few trees and that is when it dawned on me what he was doing with them.

HE WAS USING THE TAMPONS AS SENT WICKS FOR COVER SENTS AND LURES.

Now that I have a complete understanding of what he was using them for, we have now been good friends for the last 7 years.

I can just see all of you guys now on opening weekend of rifle season rushing into your local Wal-Mart in full camo to stock up on tampons.

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: JCB] #192972 07/14/07 07:05 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
i never gut any deer anymore unless i plan on shoulder mounting it and letting teh taxi-man cape it out.

if you can hang your deer its easy:

1: skin the whole thing

2: cut the head and legs off

3: cut out the backstrap, and two front shoulders

4: make a thin slice right were the gut sack meets the pelvic area

5: reach in and cut out the tenderloins

6: stick a knife blade in between the 3rd vertibrae down from the pelvic bone, the spine will crack in half, leaving the guts inside the rib cage.

7: separate the two hindquarters and your done !

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: txtrophy85] #192973 07/14/07 07:53 PM
G
gcop1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
ALWAYS wear tall (tube style) socks to the stand. If you wear the short ones, you can't cut the top off for emergencies.

NEVER eat leftover chili for breakfast right before you attemp to sit in the stand for 5 or 6 hours. (especially if your wearing short socks)

when you are watching a nice deer, ALWAYS stay observant of which beer bottle your drinking out of and which one your spitting in.

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: gcop1] #192974 07/14/07 08:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
also, if you plan on a long sit, make sure you have a suitable plan of action once nature calls

this is day one stuff but i can't tell you how many deer have been run off by guys trying to crack the door on the blind to pee out of

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: txtrophy85] #192975 07/15/07 12:29 PM
C
caprocker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
tie your strings off of your corn sacks to the leg of your feeder in the same place each time in order to give yourself an idea of wind direction at the feeder.

heres a campfire bet for suckers..i tried this on 350 lb offensive linemen in college and believe me it works...get a gallon of whole milk , bet a guy 50 dollars that they cant drink the whole gallon in one hour..one hour no exceptions..no throwing up , going to the bathroom etc......it cant be done..it has to be whole milk though..

another tip: seal your camper well each year..a 4 1/2 ft. rattle bug wintered in my camper last year and i didnt find out until after the season was over while doing "renovations" on my sleeping situation.

be in good enough physical condition to climb your tripod when deere season starts..oops

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: txtrophy85] #192976 07/15/07 01:02 PM
S
sbr727 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Quote:

i never gut any deer anymore unless i plan on shoulder mounting it and letting teh taxi-man cape it out.

if you can hang your deer its easy:

1: skin the whole thing

2: cut the head and legs off

3: cut out the backstrap, and two front shoulders

4: make a thin slice right were the gut sack meets the pelvic area

5: reach in and cut out the tenderloins

6: stick a knife blade in between the 3rd vertibrae down from the pelvic bone, the spine will crack in half, leaving the guts inside the rib cage.

7: separate the two hindquarters and your done !

Definitely the best way I have ever found to quarter game.

Just to help with the visual, you start by hanging the deer by the hind legs (I know - implicity stated by the steps but might not be totally obvious if one has never tried it).

The quickest way I have seen to split the pelvis is to use a battery operated saw-zall.

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: sbr727] #192977 07/15/07 05:55 PM
D
Double_Drop_Tines Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Haven't tried this due to hunting public land, where it's against the rules to leave your treestand out while your not there. Take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it,(old paint buckets work best) put about 1' of a 20'x1/2" hose in it bury it as much as possible in the ground, with the other 19' of hose to your stand, place the neck from a plastic pop bottle(funnel)seal with silicone. Instant relief without climbing down.

Hunting is more to me than Antlers on the wall. It's more about the memories you make, and sharing those memories with friends, and family.
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #192978 07/15/07 10:01 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Here is a tip.....

Take the caps lock off....when typing......

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #192979 07/16/07 12:07 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I "SHOUT" BECAUE I'M ON THE PUTER AT WORK AND ALL I'T FUNCTIONS WORK IN CAPS, IT'S MUCH EASIER NOT TO CHANGE BACK AND FORTH....
JUST DON'T READ SO LOUD!

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #192980 07/16/07 01:51 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Quote:

I "SHOUT" BECAUE I'M ON THE PUTER AT WORK AND ALL I'T FUNCTIONS WORK IN CAPS, IT'S MUCH EASIER NOT TO CHANGE BACK AND FORTH....
JUST DON'T READ SO LOUD!

I WILL TRY AND DO THAT.......
YOU SHOULD BE WORKING AND NOT PLAYING....THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA TODAY.....NO WORK AND ALL PLAY....

jk....GLAD YOUR WITH US....

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #192981 07/16/07 05:46 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman
Here's one. Take your Rattling antlers and tie a long string to them and the other end to your stand, drop them down below your bow stand and yank up and down creating a ground level rattle. Keeps the Buck from looking up and pin pointing you. You can also run the string over head through trees and drop the Antler down from there. Bucks will usually try to circle downwind and get a sniff of there competition.

When rattling, always glance behind you, downwind. Let's see, how many times have I been busted by the Down wind Buck.

If using a Deer decoy always set it up so the Buck will have to circle behind it coming in closer to you. They will 98% of the time circle around behind a decoy. Experiance again. But I learn from my mistakes.
Don't go to Kansas (or anywhere) in a 1 1/2 ft of snow and forego the 4 wheeler and walk a mile to set up your tent blind. I did not realize how outta shape I was.
Oh yea!!! Don't use your Mr. Heater in 1 1/2' of snow in your tent blind and leave it in the blind all night so you don't have to carry it in the next AM. Trust me, they will freeze up from condensation and never ever work again and every hardware store and Wally world will be SOLD OUT!!! Don't ask me how I know just take my word for it.

I take camo cloth and cut in strips and staple up and down about every 3" apart to my box blind window openings to break up my image.

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #192982 07/16/07 05:49 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman
Quote:

I WILL TRY AND DO THAT.......
YOU SHOULD BE WORKING AND NOT PLAYING....THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA TODAY.....NO WORK AND ALL PLAY....

Nope, you just need to get your priorities in order.
BTW, and your at???

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: HighTechRedneck] #192983 07/17/07 04:13 PM
G
glen Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
Skinning animals- Hogs/Deer

Hang in tree by back legs. Skin down far enough to get a tennis ball or rock in. get cable about 20 ft long and put a quick release on it much like a snare. put tennis ball or rock in hide and chinch cable around hide. Hook other end of cable to ATV or Pickup and drive away slowly. Done.

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: glen] #192984 07/17/07 05:23 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

by gcop1

ALWAYS wear tall (tube style) socks to the stand. If you wear the short ones, you can't cut the top off for emergencies.

NEVER eat leftover chili for breakfast right before you attemp to sit in the stand for 5 or 6 hours. (especially if your wearing short socks)

when you are watching a nice deer, ALWAYS stay observant of which beer bottle your drinking out of and which one your spitting in.

LMOBFAO!!!!

I got one...more later:

If you have an open-face blind, either tower or ground, and like to have access to full view, but are afraid your head movement may bust you --- get an empty gallon milk jug and stretch a piece of panty hose over it. Leave enough panty hose sticking from each end to tie a small dia nylon string to each end of it. Fasten one end of the string to the top of your stand, about where you usually sit, and situate about where your head would be. Then fasten a rock or some such to the lower string so that it won't touch the floor. This way, especially when the wind blows, it can have a little movement and at the same time give all them curious deer something to forget about come opening day...

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: Big Orn] #192985 07/17/07 05:32 PM
S
Sethfish Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

LET ME CLARIFY THIS IDEA FOR ALL THE NON EAST TEXANS

Quote:

Quote:

I got one...more later:

If you have an open-face blind (CONVERTIBLE CAMARO) , either tower (MONSTER CAMARO WITH TIRES LARGER THAN 34") or ground (ROLLING LOWERED WITH THE 20" LOW FILE SPINNERS) , and like to have access to full view (BOTH BAR DITCHES , but are afraid your head movement may bust you --- get an empty gallon milk jug and stretch a piece of panty hose over it (SAME WAY YOU DO BEFORE YOU GO INTO BEER STORES AND BANKS TO MAKE WITHDRAWLS) . Leave enough panty hose sticking from each end to tie a small dia nylon string to each end of it. Fasten one end of the string to the top of your stand, about where you usually sit, and situate about where your head would be. Then fasten a rock or some such to the lower string so that it won't touch the floor. This way, especially when the wind blows, it can have a little movement and at the same time give all them curious deer something to forget about come opening day (THIS WILL ALSO HELP KEEP YOUR NEIGHBORS FROM STEALING THINGS FROM YOUR TRAILER WHILE YOU ARE STEALING STUFF FROM THEIRS, WHICH IS TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS IN EAST TEXAS) ...

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: Sethfish] #192986 07/17/07 05:34 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Get serious, Seth, for gawd's sake! This is a serious thread, bygawd....

"Monster Camaro"...lmao!! You ever tried it?

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #192987 07/17/07 05:55 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
This is a great idea but I don't have a marker (paintball gun) so I haven't tried it yet. The link below goes to a site that sells deer scented paintballs. They have corn, cedar, apple, and doe in heat. Imagine shooting live does with doe in heat paintballs. When (and if) they came back, you'd have real live decoys that couldn't figure out why the heck the bucks were chasing them. Yeah, you could use a slingshot but where's the fun in that?

Deer Balls

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: caprocker] #192988 07/17/07 05:57 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

bet a guy 50 dollars that they cant drink the whole gallon in one hour..

Another one to try is that someone can't eat 1 slice of bread in 1 minute. I have only seen it done once and it was 58 seconds. Roll it up in a ball.... take little bites.... however you want....

Try it sometime... one slice of bread... no water or drink.... one minute. The bread sucks the spit out of your mouth and makes it hard to swallow. Good luck.

Seriously though.... bring hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle in your backpack. When bow hunting in September it's hard to figure out what is blood and what is just a spot on a leaf. Spray a mist of it around where you saw the deer and watch it foam up on the blood just like it does with your blood. Helped me out once when I shot a deer right before dark.

-Greg

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: JCB] #192989 07/20/07 01:51 AM
C
cougarpiss Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Quote:

Here is a tip that I learned a few years back when I hunted in Kimble Co.

Now before all the remarks and questions begin, let me go on record as saying that I have NEVER TRIED THIS AND NEVER WILL.

When I got on a lease in Kimble Co. a few years back I was hunting with a bunch of guys I had never met before so I did not know what to expect. One day I walked into the cabin and noticed a box of tampons sticking out of one of the guys backpacks. Keep in mind this guy that owns this backpack is not married and did not have a girl friend at the time, so you can only imagine what was going through my mind (not to mention that I kind of thought this guy might be a little off from the time I first met him).

Anyway to make a long story short I did not want to be nosey and ask any questions so I just kept my distance. One day he came into camp looking for some help to find a deer so since I was the only one in camp I did not have much choice but to help him. When we got to his stand I noticed some tampons hanging from a few trees and that is when it dawned on me what he was doing with them.

HE WAS USING THE TAMPONS AS SENT WICKS FOR COVER SENTS AND LURES.

Now that I have a complete understanding of what he was using them for, we have now been good friends for the last 7 years.

I can just see all of you guys now on opening weekend of rifle season rushing into your local Wal-Mart in full camo to stock up on tampons.

I heard that can attract bears.

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: cougarpiss] #192990 07/20/07 02:07 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Save 2 liter plastic soft drink bottles. Wash them out and fill them with corn. The evening before the hunt spread some corn around your blind location, and remove the lids from the bottles. When the deer find them they will kick them around to get the corn out and it will wake you up. To be more effective spread corn in the area and leave a couple of bottles several times before you hunt that area. It is amazing what noise they will make getting the corn out of the bottle. So when the sun comes up you will watching the exact area.

Last edited by dogcatcher; 07/20/07 02:09 AM.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: dogcatcher] #192991 07/21/07 12:30 PM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
My Grandfather taught me this when I first started hunting deer. This was before the days, that anyone thought about our human scent, and the effect it has on deer. We always walked to our stand and before we left, he would always find the freshest cow crap and step in it, told me to do the same. I have seen deer walk down the same trail we came down, and none the wiser.
I have no idea if it truly works, but I won't go out to the woods without doing the same.

Spanky

Re: POST YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND TIPS [Re: spanky] #192992 07/21/07 01:44 PM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have some reservations about posting this, ya'll might think ole Spanky lost his mind, but it does work. Learned this from my FIL, deer are curious animals by nature, and if you see on running, whistle, holler, kick the side of the stand and they will stop, to see what is going on.

The only deer this won't work on is deer that has scented you or caught your movement, and are running away from you and deer that are on a full run, spooked by something other than you.

Trust me this works, I have done this same exact thing many times and it does work. I have stopped a doe in heat with this method to get the buck that was chasing her to stop. Works like a champ, try it.

Spanky

Last edited by spanky; 07/21/07 01:56 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide