Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bird dogs and pheasants #1899165 12/07/10 11:28 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I'm getting bored. This sucker is filled with pheasant pictures, and Brad Pitt look-alikes, but I don't see one bird dog. Bird dogs to me are pointing dogs. The GSP generally rules the roost among bird dogs on pheasant.

Anyone have any pictures or stories about pointing dogs and pheasants?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: bill oxner] #1899300 12/08/10 12:09 AM
B
beatarmy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I took my dog on a drive pheasant hunt last year. She wanted to run up and down the entire line of walkers. Also pheasants hold about as well as ducks. I decided after 2 days of frustration that pointing dogs and drive hunting don't mix. Maybe pheasants hold better in snow. I fared better than the other guy that brought his quail dogs...his male setter ran off and started chasing chickens. A guy brought 2 brits this year and didn't even run them.

If I hunted pheasants more than once a year I'd get a lab or a springer.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: beatarmy] #1899362 12/08/10 12:28 AM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
We have had some luck running one pointer at a time in CRP fields and getting a wide line of say 80 yards going. A good pointer with patterning ingrained deeply will pattern up and down the line - which depending on how thick the grass is means only being 30 to 40 yards out. I would say about 20% of our roosters per day (in South Central Kansas, higher in South Dakota) are pointed birds or at least where dog is pointing and breaking off etc and a couple of guys hot foot over and get ready. We get about double the amount of points on single hens. I never run beepers, always use a Garmin, and most guys in our group know not to be hollering "here" all the time to put the roosters on red alert.

The main issue I have with Texas trained pointers (and GSPs as half my group of guys now have GSPs) is they want to chase after pointed hens. Bad things happen when a dog is running 25mph after a pointed hen. Screaming Fido Here Fido Here at the top of your lungs tells every pheasant in the county here comes trouble.

All that said, I have been sniffing around on Texas pointing lab breeders myself - especially given the sorry and unexplained sorry quail seasons we have had the past three years. I have hunted with one and there is no style to the point, but its still a nice middle ground - especially if the beast would sit still in a duck blind and pull double duty there.

BTW - we have had guys come with us with good labs that work out 25 yards and you watch em when they get hot and scooch over that way -- very very effective but not as pretty.

Last edited by danceswithquail; 12/08/10 12:29 AM.
Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: danceswithquail] #1899488 12/08/10 01:08 AM
L
Lookinferhogs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I use a Vizsla, They are a close working pointer that work well on Quail and Pheasant.They adapt well to the hunting enviorment.If the habitate is tall she flushes.If it's short she'll point.here's some pics of her in action.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: Lookinferhogs] #1899532 12/08/10 01:22 AM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
You made me spit beer all over my keyboard.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: bill oxner] #1900065 12/08/10 03:51 AM
W
wkh2213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
My GSP works about 25yds max, mostly closer and works the whole line. She gets wide (further out) on the ends and quarters in toward the center. Didn't train her to do that, she just does. She's already figured out if no shot is made, don't chase, just watch. She does good in the fields, but most of her points come at the kitchen table!

www.5hdesigns.com
facebook- 5H Designs
Dealer/Rep for Taiga Coolers- "living the cooler life "
Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: wkh2213] #1900075 12/08/10 03:54 AM
J
jkk Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I hunted behind 2 nice dogs this last weekend, one was a pointer and the other a GSP. They would point the crap out the pheasant we were hunting considering it was so dry. The GSP would flush and retrieve as well.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: wkh2213] #1900111 12/08/10 04:06 AM
MrG Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Pheasants are tough on pointing dogs. They smell so good and run so fast and far. Most just end up busting birds that a little patience would have gotten. I take guys from Central Texas to Plainview and tell them to leave the big runners at home. Labs are fine as long as they mind.

I've hunted them many years and have hunted over only 2 good pheasant dogs.

One would work a line of hunters from end to end about ten yards out. She would bring a downed bird to the closest hunter and carry on with her hunt.

Another was a buddy's Brit. My buddy and I would hunt after school and walk maize and corn patches. About halfway up the last pass she would go sideways fifty yards, run up to the end of the field, and start working back to us. No one trained her to do that. That was a good dog.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: MrG] #1900406 12/08/10 08:58 AM
G
Gunnar84 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
i have hunted over my vizlsa for 6 years. best dog for the job. they work close, hold the point, and will never quit. when they get warm just trust.them, you will have birds in your bag at the end od the day.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: Gunnar84] #1900627 12/08/10 02:06 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Sorry Bill, no Pheasant pics, the last time I went pheasant hunting with a dog was with my old Britt J.R., I wasn't taking many pictures back then. He did a great job on the thunder chickens.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #1900703 12/08/10 02:34 PM
D
dr730 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Hopefully I'll have some pics of my GSP on some pheasant in Kansas by the end of the season.

Founder,Texasgundogclub.com
Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: dr730] #1900871 12/08/10 03:23 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Bill,

We ran our Brittanys in Kansas in November. We were hunting real tall CRP and it was sort of funny to watch my dog quartering in that stuff like a porpoise, but he stayed in close - flushing and retrieving when I downed one. That grass is sharp edged and will cut a GSP or Pointer so I did not even put my Pointer on the ground for that hunt. Those boys up there tape 'em up pretty good but it wasn't really a problem for the Brits or Labs. I didn't get many pics but we had a great time.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: reeltexan] #1901297 12/08/10 05:37 PM
C
CSA81 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I run my vizsla on pheasant and he does a good job. He works thik cover like a champ but roams a little to far out in thin stuff. I hunted this year with another Vizsla and a DD. I never got a solid point out of mine (not many birds) but the other two dogs locked up and held birds to flush and shot.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: CSA81] #1901709 12/08/10 07:27 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
It all depends on the birds, the cover and the weather in my experience. If the birds will sit, they can be pointed, but if the pheasants have been hunted a lot, they won't sit unless the cover is very heavy. The weather, cold and snow, seems to make them hold a little better. There are some places we hit, where they might start flushing as soon as you stop to open the gate. I have a full mix of dogs (Vizsla, DD, Pointer) and they all had points in Kansas a couple weeks ago, but we also had fields where the birds were flushing 300 yds out. Pheasants are fun for that very reason - unpredictable!

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: DoubleB20] #1901728 12/08/10 07:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
OP-If you want to use pointers and actually consitately point pheasants in late season, Find the nastiest stuff around(backwater pits, old farm houses, nasty fence rows.ect) and send the dogs in, from my expereince that about the only place the birds hold well.

Other then that I second what Brian said its the unpreditablity of the pheasants that make them fun

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 12/08/10 07:35 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1902563 12/08/10 11:23 PM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I forgot to mention in my previous post that we also leave the ultra big running pointers at home on the pheasant trips, which is about half of the groups' dogs. Only the stay with ya dogs get to go up north... lots of dogs and wives unhappy come week before Thanksgiving.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: bill oxner] #1902587 12/08/10 11:32 PM
B
Bobby B Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Here ya go Bill, just for you
Me, my oldest Britt , Teal and Jojo the Boykin I had on Iowa

Me and the late , great Colt with his 2nd pheasant

Colt, Zach and Chester with Colts 1st phez. He pointed, Zach shot it and Chester retrieved it

I dont know so much about a Vizsla being the best dog for hunting pheasants. If they were there would be a lot more of them out there. And I am sure the guys that kill their share behind EPs, Britts,Setters and GSPs would take exception to that statement as well.

Last edited by Bobby B; 12/08/10 11:33 PM.

" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - old man in a Sweetwater , TX cafe

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: Bobby B] #1903617 12/09/10 04:18 AM
T
twostrike Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
When I lived in Liberal back in the 90's I had A GWP and Vizsla that were a really good team on Pheasants. I do not know how they figured it out but when one of them got on a running rooster the other would loop out and then they would trap the bird between the two of them. I have never been able to get another pair to do it since then. Of course I moved to Tulsa then back to Gods country in Texas. While I was up there I also used pointers, but you have to be able to keep them close.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: twostrike] #1904591 12/09/10 04:06 PM
L
Lookinferhogs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I don't know about any one breed being the best.however I do know that I get my fair share of birds and it is directly a result of my dog.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: Lookinferhogs] #1905337 12/09/10 07:44 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Hey Bill what about some all around BIRD dogs (Labradors)

These are from years past, but I am headed to Olton tomorrow for a day of pheasant hunting. You guys crack me up that think only pointers are bird dogs. rofl

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: MrG] #1905909 12/09/10 10:36 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: MrG
Pheasants are tough on pointing dogs. They smell so good and run so fast and far. Most just end up busting birds that a little patience would have gotten. I take guys from Central Texas to Plainview and tell them to leave the big runners at home. Labs are fine as long as they mind.

I've hunted them many years and have hunted over only 2 good pheasant dogs.

One would work a line of hunters from end to end about ten yards out. She would bring a downed bird to the closest hunter and carry on with her hunt.

Another was a buddy's Brit. My buddy and I would hunt after school and walk maize and corn patches. About halfway up the last pass she would go sideways fifty yards, run up to the end of the field, and start working back to us. No one trained her to do that. That was a good dog.
I had a setter that did that same thing in the hedge rows in Mo. when I hunted by myself, can't teach that...

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: westtexaswatkins] #1906455 12/10/10 12:40 AM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Hey Bill what about some all around BIRD dogs (Labradors)

These are from years past, but I am headed to Olton tomorrow for a day of pheasant hunting. You guys crack me up that think only pointers are bird dogs. rofl

More Brad Pitt look-alikes!

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: bill oxner] #1907483 12/10/10 06:19 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
You can have your pointers for pheasant. Give me a durable lab any day of the week in rough pheasant country. My lab is by no means the greatest dog in the world- but he is 8 years old and pheasant hunted for the first time this season. He worked 15 or less yards in front of me and my buddy and flushed 3 birds and recovered one of the two roosters we shot ( the other didn't make it far enough to count as a recovery). It was like he had been doing it for years.

When you can teach your pointer how to fetch ducks and geese in one trip then I think you may have a leg to stand on. Until then, it's a doggy dog world and it's ruled by labs.

Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: cable] #1907901 12/10/10 01:55 PM
R
rdh1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I agree labs are by far the better dog to use for pheasants. I took my Sandy for her first hunt this year. The first one she retrieved was at 60 yard and it was the first Pheasent that was shot on our hunt. After that she had it down. I am so proud of her as soon as I get some pictures sent to me I will get them out.

Zeva,Buck & Sandy
[Linked Image]
Re: Bird dogs and pheasants [Re: rdh1] #1908126 12/10/10 03:03 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
They all hunt different and have a purpose. Labs I've seen are smart as heck, retrieve like nobody's business, hunt close, and usually are more "flushing dogs." That's why they make great pheasant dogs. Pointers, at least most I see, are big runners, cautious, will not creep up on a bird, usually not retrievers-unless force broke, and most of all hard headed. Pointers can hunt pheasants, under the right conditions and mine can wind them yards before you get to them. Thus my problem--my dogs are taught to be very cautious--and it is tough on them with the concept of a running pheasant or blue quail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide