Print Thread
Educate me on fence line stands?? #1900859 12/08/10 03:20 PM
T
TBS Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I read post on here all the time about people upset about neighbors setting up stands near the fence / property line. I have been hunting in east Texas all my life and never had an issue with it. Maybe I have been lucky. I have been on properties with stands very near the property lines. I would never shoot across a property line or towards a property line and maybe that is the concern everyone has. Recently watched a large deer 10 yards across the property line and let him walk. Would never think about shooting across the fence line or towards it. If the stand is near a property line facing the property you are hunting, I do not see an issue. What am I missing? If the feeder is at the property line and the stand is set so a shot would be towards the property line or cross the property line, then I see a major issue and I would have problems with that. Not wanting to start a bashing session, just wondering what I am missing.

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: TBS] #1900883 12/08/10 03:27 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I think people believe when a stand is set up on their fence the hunter is trying to draw the deer off over to their property. Also, it brings up certain safety/legal issues if a bullet were to travel over the fence. I, for one, don't have much problem with fence line stands unless their primary shooting angle is towards my fence.

Also, a lot of people cannot be trusted to refrain from shooting a big buck that is just on the other side of that fence.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: Shortysboy09] #1900894 12/08/10 03:30 PM
T
TBS Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I agree with what you are saying Shortysboy. I am only concerened about the shooting angle as well. The fence means nothing to the deer and he will go where he pleases.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: TBS] #1900912 12/08/10 03:34 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
from my observation away from East Tx, most folks have lanes cleared down their fenceline...and folks don't like folks shooting down the fenceline, at it or near it

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: rifleman] #1900925 12/08/10 03:39 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
It's kinda like lookin' in your neighbor's bedroom window from your fence. It just ain't polite.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: LandPirate] #1901167 12/08/10 05:01 PM
T
TexShadow74 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I have read alot of the same posts about people getting mad and I never got the problem either. As long as they are not shooting over the fence. Isn't the whole purpose of setting a feeder up anywhere trying to draw deer to it from anywhere? I mean lets face it not many own/lease enough land to be drawing deer in from only their land/lease. So you are drawing in deer from other areas no matter where you put it right. Even hunters on the same land are competing with each other with differnt scents, feed,so on and so on.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: TexShadow74] #1901209 12/08/10 05:12 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'm not going to lie, over Thanksgiving I went and set a feeder up pretty dang close to National Forest land....doesn't make me a bad person, makes me smart for educating some deer on timed corn feedings.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: rifleman] #1901241 12/08/10 05:19 PM
T
TBS Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
The place I am currently hunting is very narrow and long. No matter where I sit I can see two of the property lines. I watched a 4 pt on Sunday cross the fence on the south side and walk 20 yards in front of my ground blind and cross the north fence. I am currently sititng up about 20 yards form the fence line because that is the best cover and location to see the length of the property. No intention of shooting over the fence, but that is the best location I could find.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: TexShadow74] #1901258 12/08/10 05:25 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
The way I see it, unless you own a high fence operation, no one owns the deer and they can go wherever they please. As long as it's on my property and I'm not shooting over the property line, the location of my blind and feeder is irrelevant unless you already have one set up in the same place and then it's extremely rude, IMO.
We're getting ready to move ours onto a spot that doesn't have a tenth of the traffic that our current spot has just because someone else bought the neighboring property and is going to be leasing it out. I personally feel that our little hunting spot should be "grandfathered" since we've had a blind and feeder there for almost ten years, but I don't want to pixx off a potentially good neighbor either so we'll take it in the shorts and hope for the best.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: toolman] #1901306 12/08/10 05:39 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
The primary objection is setting the feeders or "hunting area" on the outside of the property very near or even on a fence line and hunting from the inside out so to speak where any bullet shot from the stand will undoubtedly cross the property line causing a serious safety concern.

Personally, I always prefer to hunt from the outside in, and prefer to set up well off of a border fence line anyway to insure I won't get unwanted traffic or activity from a neighboring property disrupting the hunting. Of course the places I've hunted have generally been larger tracts....say, 1000 acres and up, which makes it easier.

Good old common sense and good manners is what it's all about.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1901326 12/08/10 05:44 PM
T
TBS Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Seems like we are on the same page. I can also see a problem setting up a stand near the fenceline and shootin inward if the neighbering property also has a stand in the immediate area. that would not be a good situation either. Like someone said....just use common sense.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: TBS] #1901348 12/08/10 05:50 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
The fence represents where your land ends and others begin. I would rather have someone shooting back into their own property than shooting out into my property. I can also see it being a problem if numerous times deer are shot on or close to the fenceline and then jump the fence. This could heigthen apprehension in regard to someone hutning along the fenceline. Bottom line is, if I am on my own property and my bullets never cross onto your property, there is nothing anyone can do about where you put your feeders or your blinds, IF they are on your property.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: TBS] #1901413 12/08/10 06:05 PM
L
Leonardo Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Common sense goes a long way. The irritating part are the really small tracts of land imo. I have always paid money for a larger lease in order to better my chances of being successful. Then you have a guy with 5 acres setting up within ten feet of your fence.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: BenBob] #1901427 12/08/10 06:09 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Have 2 stands within 20 yards of my fence line but all face into my property not out and i mainly bow hunt. My neighbor thought it was to close and cut it down and bent the stand and we had a few words and basicly told him it happens again and i will turn in the photos i have of him crossing fence line. No problems since but shows how people are that think there ways are the only way. As long as you dont shoot across there property line tell em to go to heck!

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: Leonardo] #1901447 12/08/10 06:15 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've had personal experience over the years with this and it really depends on how big the property is that the neighbor is hunting on and in most cases with smaller tracts the fence line comes into play sooner or later.

The best case senerio is if the property next to you is small I would rather have the guy put his blind right next to the fence or close enough where a deer won't walk between the blind and the fence because I don't want a bullet flying over the fence from a shot at a deer standing on his property that he is shooting at.

Now if he elects to shoot a deer on my side that is illegal and he can be prosecuted but it's his call.

I would rather have him shooting into his place than out of it, case closed.

I've had this happen on a place I hunted where the blind was about 5' off my fence, and never had a problem with it!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: Jimbo] #1901560 12/08/10 06:47 PM
J
Jake317 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I have no problems with a stand along the fence line. One the fence line is mostly clear so its an instant sendero. Makes good sense to use it, also if its along the fence then you dont have to drive around it or its not in the way when plowing and ect. I dont shoot over the fence and dont expect anyone else too either. I also dont care if you stand is along fence either. Its your land do as you please. I think some folks get up on a high horse and just need to be knock down time to time. We are all out to hunt and have a good time. Some folks can afford bigger places and equipment to clear lanes , some can barely afford a lease, either way , he can use all the land leased no matter what the neighbors say.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: Jake317] #1901629 12/08/10 07:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Unless you own the fence don't get close to it, fence lines aren't property lines..... but other then that proprty rights are property rights, I don't want someone telling me what to do at my house or ranch, so I'm not going to tell them, but the first time a bullet comes over the fence and puts me or my friends or family in danger or if they tresspass to get their deer that propbley wouldn't of ever crossed the fence if it wasn't shot next to the fence.. they get to meet the full extent of the law

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 12/08/10 07:06 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1901639 12/08/10 07:07 PM
T
txhunter24 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Unless you own the fence don't get close to it, fence lines aren't property lines..... but other then that proprty rights are property rights, I don't want someone telling me what to do at my house or ranch, so I'm not going to tell them, but the first time a bullet comes over the fence and puts me or my friends or family in danger or if they tresspass to get their deer that propbley wouldn't of ever crossed the fence if it wasn't shot next to the fence.. they get to meet the full extent of the law

couldnt agree more.

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1901642 12/08/10 07:08 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
that's why you call before getting a deer...never know about the neighbors...they could be mean, or they could bring you a beer and look at your deer after you recover it and let you drive around through their place to get it.

Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: rifleman] #1901699 12/08/10 07:23 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The two good ole boys that used to hunt on forty acres and had the blind on the fencline like to drink their beer, and we used to have some pretty interesting conversations after the hunts, and sometimes when driving out of my place after dark I could hear them at their campsite literally howling at the moon.

We got along fine, and they knew better than to shoot anything over the fence, but you can't be there all the time, and you can't tell them to take their blind down and away from the fence and hunt a hundred yards inside their place or that you don't like it that they drink.

What else is it that they do that you don't like while on their property?

People need to just grow up and stop worrying about the other guy and worry about themselves.

Don't go prosecuting the guy before anything has even happened, and worrying about what might happen when you have little control is going to make you physicaly sick.

Talk to the neighbor and express your concerns and move on. What he does or doesn't do on his property is his business, and if you can't deal with that then maybe owning property isn't your thing, and that is why I'd rather lease.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: LandPirate] #1903978 12/09/10 11:28 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
It's kinda like lookin' in your neighbor's bedroom window from your fence. It just ain't polite.

up

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Educate me on fence line stands?? [Re: LandPirate] #1907086 12/10/10 03:39 AM
T
Texsun Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: LandPirate

This says it all.

Sig Sauer P229 Elite, P226 Elite, SP2022
S&W Model 3
Win. Model 70's: 220 Swift, 270, 30.06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H
Savage Model 99 250-3000
Colt 6920
Ruger 10-22
Swedish and Chilean Mausers
Browning Citori White Lightning
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread